Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

guppy posted:

I have had a CWNA (not Cisco, this is the vendor-neutral wireless one) book sitting on my shelf for a few months now because I bought it blind on Amazon and my jaw dropped when I took it out of the box and it was drat near 1000 pages. I finally cracked it open and it's pretty good so far but man that is a lot of material, especially when the test is only 60 questions. I can't imagine they can cover any significant portion of this material. Anyone gone through it and have anything to say about it? I looked at the CWS and CWT marketing blurbs (they're killing CWTS, so those are the only options lower than CWNA), but I already do a fair amount of wireless stuff and it looks like most of that might be stuff I already know.

Prepping for CCNP SWITCH still myself, never did get any recommendations on study materials. Any advice?

1000 pages is a light read for us Collaboration guys. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
How different/more complex is the actual Security+ exam compared to examconpass and the Darril Gibson app?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thank you!

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
My company wants my t2 team to get some Azure know how. To those that are willing, they will foot the bill for any training materials and the exam costs. In addition, they are offering a :siren: $500 cash bonus for each exam completed on or before April 30th :siren: If I want to try to slam out 900 fundamentals, 100 infrastructure and deployment, and 101 integration and security (to grab the fundamentals and admin associate certs), what should I put on my shopping/watch/resource list?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Heer98 posted:

How different/more complex is the actual Security+ exam compared to examconpass and the Darril Gibson app?

I paid for Gibson's GetCeritifedGetAhead premium stuff and found his practice exams to match pretty spot on to the actual test.

I paid $10 for the eBook on Amazon and like $40 for all his practice tests and study guide stuff.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 20, 2019

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Takkaryx posted:

My company wants my t2 team to get some Azure know how. To those that are willing, they will foot the bill for any training materials and the exam costs. In addition, they are offering a :siren: $500 cash bonus for each exam completed on or before April 30th :siren: If I want to try to slam out 900 fundamentals, 100 infrastructure and deployment, and 101 integration and security (to grab the fundamentals and admin associate certs), what should I put on my shopping/watch/resource list?

I’m looking into these myself, though on a more relaxed timetable. Check out https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/azure/ if you haven’t already. They have a course for the AZ-900 that may be all you need.
For the 100 and 101, Pluralsight has paths for each that both run around 30 hours. I can’t speak to their quality though.
I’m not sure there are any good books yet. The only ones I found on Amazon weren’t releasing til mid-April.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 20, 2019

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Takkaryx posted:

I passed the 70-533 and AZ-102 using this course on Udemy https://www.udemy.com/az-102-azure-administrator-certification-transition/ since Pluralsight didn't have coursework up yet and the teacher goes pretty in depth. The Practice tests were very close to the questions I saw on the exam

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I paid for Gibson's GetCeritifedGetAhead premium stuff and found his practice exams to match pretty spot on to the actual test.

I paid $10 for the eBook on Amazon and like $40 for all his practice tests and study guide stuff.

Thanks!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Kashuno posted:

I passed the 70-533 and AZ-102 using this course on Udemy https://www.udemy.com/az-102-azure-administrator-certification-transition/ since Pluralsight didn't have coursework up yet and the teacher goes pretty in depth. The Practice tests were very close to the questions I saw on the exam

How much Azure experience did you have? I built a few simple environments a couple of years ago but am being asked to brush up on it again

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

How much Azure experience did you have? I built a few simple environments a couple of years ago but am being asked to brush up on it again

Almost none, I took the 70-533 because I was interested in taking my current company to the cloud and Azure seemed like the option for us. We are just about to do our first major Azure migration of on prem infra in 3-4 weeks, but before this project I had only seen the absolute basics

My understanding is that Azure has changed a bit from a few years ago though. From their classic deployment manager to their current Azure Resource Manager

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Whee. I just passed my CISSP exam today, so now I just need to figure out how to do the endorsement process, and I think I'm set for that. Would it make sense to do a CISM next? I've got the work experience to qualify for that one, too.

For some background, I spend most of my time doing managerial/compliance/governance/auditing/policy authoring stuff, and eventually I'd like to move to a different company doing something similar since my current one significantly underpays people. That said, while they hate paying market rates for people, they will shell out for education and training, so I doubt budget will be an issue for getting more certs (for example, nobody blinked when I decided to send myself to a CISSP boot camp, bought some studying resources, signed myself up for the exam, and put it all on my corp card).

I also don't have any other certs since I just decided to start getting certs a few weeks ago, so pretty much anything is fair game.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm looking to get my CCENT. I was hoping that someone could recommend me the best way to go about that. Are in-person classes the best option? Should I be looking at community colleges? My job has a program where they will pay for most career advancement courses.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Started off today dreading that I had scheduled the AZ-100 this morning. I never felt great or scored well taking the practice test and I've never studied well, but my work wants to move into offering Azure services and they really wanted to see some progress from me getting the certification. So I took the test, felt terrible on the general questions but pretty good on the labs, but overall I felt like I failed and was hoping I wouldn't fail too bad so I could just focus on where I was weak and pass on the retake.

Passed with a 744.

Well then! That's a load of stress off my shoulders. My boss and his boss were pretty pleased too. One more to go, then they'd like to see me pass AZ-300 and AZ-301 but they don't expect that until the end of the year.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm looking to get my CCENT. I was hoping that someone could recommend me the best way to go about that. Are in-person classes the best option? Should I be looking at community colleges? My job has a program where they will pay for most career advancement courses.

Depends on how you learn best. If being in a class works for you, then go for it. Otherwise, there are online courses and books for self study, and you can lab things out using Packet Tracer if you don't have spare equipment at work/home.

I had a good experience with my CC - lots of physical equipment to touch, knowledgeable instructors, and since it was paced out over months I could take the time to really understand the information. You could also look into a bootcamp if you were looking to get certified sooner, but it'll be a lot more intense and getting time off for an entry cert might be a hard sell.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

hihifellow posted:

Started off today dreading that I had scheduled the AZ-100 this morning. I never felt great or scored well taking the practice test and I've never studied well, but my work wants to move into offering Azure services and they really wanted to see some progress from me getting the certification. So I took the test, felt terrible on the general questions but pretty good on the labs, but overall I felt like I failed and was hoping I wouldn't fail too bad so I could just focus on where I was weak and pass on the retake.

Passed with a 744.

Well then! That's a load of stress off my shoulders. My boss and his boss were pretty pleased too. One more to go, then they'd like to see me pass AZ-300 and AZ-301 but they don't expect that until the end of the year.

I need to take all of these. How do they compare to previous Microsoft exams?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Tab8715 posted:

Don't know, this was the first Microsoft test I've taken. All the others have been Citrix tests, but I know Citrix a lot more than I know Azure so I can't really compare there either.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

I've only taken two MS exams now but

Kashuno posted:

I felt there was more theory and application questions rather than something like “navigate the exact sequence of azure screens you would go through to do X” although overall the exam remains mostly unchanged other than the addition of large case studies with several series of questions attached. One case study would have 4 questions attached, each question would be several parts. Still have the “you can’t go back after answering these”, “put these commands in order,” and “click what section of this page would do the thing”.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I'm currently taking the boson exams for the CCNA. When would it be considered safe to take the real exam based on my boson exam performance?

85% or above 3x in a row?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Umbreon posted:

I'm currently taking the boson exams for the CCNA. When would it be considered safe to take the real exam based on my boson exam performance?

85% or above 3x in a row?

I'd say 85-90% is pretty good. I found Boson to be slightly harder than the actual test.

Make sure you are actually understanding the question too and not just memorizing the answer. Before you click on the answer, tell yourself WHY the one you are selecting is the right answer.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

hihifellow posted:

Passed with a 744.

I've been using Office365 and Azure for several years now, I work for an MSP and all of my projects are Azure/Office365 migration related and have been for the better part of two years now. I fully intend on taking AZ-100 so I'm glad to hear reports like this!

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

FCKGW posted:

I'd say 85-90% is pretty good. I found Boson to be slightly harder than the actual test.

Make sure you are actually understanding the question too and not just memorizing the answer. Before you click on the answer, tell yourself WHY the one you are selecting is the right answer.

Absolutely, the fact that boson explains the WHY of each answer is why I bought these exams.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

For those that have taken the AWS Solutions Architect Associate exam, curious if you used Acloudguru and/or Whizlabs tests as study material? If so, what kind of marks were you scoring with either and was the test at all similar to those practice tests?

I'm currently scoring around 85% or so on the Whizlabs full practice tests.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
what's the go-to site for studying for a+/network+? i'm looking to get my certs soonish, but am having trouble finding good online resources

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

what's the go-to site for studying for a+/network+? i'm looking to get my certs soonish, but am having trouble finding good online resources

I replied to you in the other thread but https://www.professormesser.com/ is probably the most popular. Mike Myers (not the Wayne's World guy) has a series over on udemy which is probably $20 on sale right now. https://www.udemy.com/comptia-a-901-the-total-course/

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Bonzo posted:

I replied to you in the other thread but https://www.professormesser.com/ is probably the most popular. Mike Myers (not the Wayne's World guy) has a series over on udemy which is probably $20 on sale right now. https://www.udemy.com/comptia-a-901-the-total-course/

awesome, thanks! i figured i'd post in both threads just in case. i'll check these sites out

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Signed up for the A+ 901 cert. I've been taking a class for it through a tech school but I'm wondering how plausible it is to take the 902 cert without going through another class. My background is in calibrating electronic stuff so I don't have any useful experience but I'm tired of night classes and want to speed things up a bit

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

I’m scheduling my A+ 901 exam soon. I have lots of good training materials, but I’m finding my performance on practice tests is all over the place. Does anyone have a recommendation for tests that are close to the real thing? The ones in the back of David Prowse’s Exam Cram were an eye opening and demoralizing experience.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Scrapez posted:

For those that have taken the AWS Solutions Architect Associate exam, curious if you used Acloudguru and/or Whizlabs tests as study material? If so, what kind of marks were you scoring with either and was the test at all similar to those practice tests?

I'm currently scoring around 85% or so on the Whizlabs full practice tests.

Quoting myself in case it is helpful to others in the future. I passed the AWS Solutions Architect Associate with a score of 783. 720 was the minimum to pass.

I did not feel I would pass while taking the test. It was considerably more difficult than acloudguru or whizlabs practice tests. I was surprised to have passed.

I would look to be scoring in the 90% and up before taking the real thing.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

ParserGirl posted:

I’m scheduling my A+ 901 exam soon. I have lots of good training materials, but I’m finding my performance on practice tests is all over the place. Does anyone have a recommendation for tests that are close to the real thing? The ones in the back of David Prowse’s Exam Cram were an eye opening and demoralizing experience.

I have had good luck on both the Net+ and the A+ with Android apps by these people. The questions were remarkably similar to those on the exam for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acesoft.ITCertifications.CompTIA.C220_901

The Net+ app by them has a lower rating than the version before the test update, so not sure what's up with that. But hey they're free at least.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hotel Kpro posted:

Signed up for the A+ 901 cert. I've been taking a class for it through a tech school but I'm wondering how plausible it is to take the 902 cert without going through another class. My background is in calibrating electronic stuff so I don't have any useful experience but I'm tired of night classes and want to speed things up a bit

The 902 is all software questions so if your experience is hardware calibration you're gonna need to study for that one.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Does anyone have any good resources for studying for the. MS Word 2013 Expert Part 1 test? My work has gmetrix practice tests, and they're great for the rest of the tests in the Microsoft Office 2013 Expert cert, just entirely wrong for that one and everyone at my work fails the first time.

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 5, 2019

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I passed SY0-501! The Darril Gibson material really helped me, thanks for the recommendations.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Heer98 posted:

I passed SY0-501! The Darril Gibson material really helped me, thanks for the recommendations.

Good going! What was the score?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

xThrasheRx posted:

Good going! What was the score?

788 (a passing score is 750). The actual test was fairly different from the training material, with a fair number of questions being bullshit “gotchas”, seeming trick questions and hair splitting (so basically a normal CompTIA exam).

The Gibson books saved me because a fair number of the test questions were lifted straight from his practice test banks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Heer98 posted:

788 (a passing score is 750). The actual test was fairly different from the training material, with a fair number of questions being bullshit “gotchas”, seeming trick questions and hair splitting (so basically a normal CompTIA exam).

The Gibson books saved me because a fair number of the test questions were lifted straight from his practice test banks.

W A R C H A L K I N G

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I'm (probably) taking the LPI Essentials on Friday. It's currently scheduled for Friday, but I'm going to feel it out tomorrow and decided if I"m actually ready or if I want to reschedule for next week. Does anyone know what the format of the test is? IE is it all multiple choice? Sims? About how many questions?

I'm having trouble finding any of that info online.

Edit: hur hur of course two seconds after posting this I do another quick Google search and find it right away. For anyone in the future it's apparently 40 questions, multiple choice and fill in the blank. 40 questions makes me real nervous because it doesn't leave a lot of room for error depending on how they score it.

siggy2021 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 6, 2019

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Heer98 posted:

Thats pretty much exactly how I felt as well. Except I didnt use his practice test banks :/

I got like 758...

xThrasheRx fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 7, 2019

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Has anyone here taken the CCDA exam from Cisco?

Looking to get some opinions on this cert. I'm a fulltime network guy and most of my work is troubleshooting layer 2, wireless deployments, ASA work, etc. But I'm interested in big picture enterprise design concepts without wanting to get into the level of detail that something like CCNP route or switch would entail. I figure this exam would give me some good big picture knowledge, renew my CCNA for a few years, and then when I have more time I can start working on my CCNP.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Has anyone here taken the CCDA exam from Cisco?

Looking to get some opinions on this cert. I'm a fulltime network guy and most of my work is troubleshooting layer 2, wireless deployments, ASA work, etc. But I'm interested in big picture enterprise design concepts without wanting to get into the level of detail that something like CCNP route or switch would entail. I figure this exam would give me some good big picture knowledge, renew my CCNA for a few years, and then when I have more time I can start working on my CCNP.

Future Cisco SE here, currently in internal sales associate program. Some of my colleagues have done CCDA and are of the opinion that given you are familiar with high level concepts of LAN and WAN, it should be very doable. I know of people who did 1-2 weeks of full-time studying who passed with ease. I intend to do it as well, after passing my CCNP Route and TShoot.

Edit: I have passed CCNA and CCNP switch in the last 5 months and made notes based on material from a Cisco learning environment and some Boson exam sim attempts. Would anyone be interested in them? I will say that they are not entirely representative of the exam (and neither are the official topic lists on cisco.com) because there is this annoying feedback loop that's happened where people would use exam dumps to prep for certifications, and Cisco would make the questions more esoteric. This in turn caused more people to use dumps, prompting Cisco to make the questions even weirder...you get the point. I'm still baffled that the official Cisco learning environments don't reflect this change, but I'm not exactly in a position to change this, so I've accepted it.

Leandros fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
It's been a really long time since I took them, but the CCDA/CCDP (and Juniper's JNCDA which I did take the class for back in Nov since Juniper offered it for free) are more about knowing where that vendor's specific products fit into specific roles than about actual design principals. Which is great and good if you're working for the vendor or for a vendor sales partner, but meh for other environments. You'll learn something about generic design from them, but you might be better off just doing some independent reading.