Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Spiderdrake posted:

Scramble City is not within their engineering or budgetary reach, full stop. Are there any third party scramble city combiners? (I think you can swap limbs on some of the TFC stuff, but I believe it is limb to limb?)

Onslaught not being a voyager is obviously the biggest problem with FoC Bruticus, but the SC thing really ruins the toy especially given they didn't concede to partsforming.

Also like, how often was this gimmick even used in g1? In the japanese ova and like one episode? Bleh. Not worth ruining combiners over.
...What do you think Scramble City entails exactly? The new combiners combine just like the G1 versions, other than they use a chest peg instead of the head. Each figure can be an arm or a leg, and they can swap between teams. That's all Scramble City is. I guess if you want to get really picky the team leaders don't have a base mode, but no one ever used those base modes anyway.

The only third-party combiner I have is TFC Devastator, and you can plug each arm and leg in on the left or right. Technically you could plug the arms into the legs and vice versa, the connectors are the same, but the swapped figures figures don't have arm or leg modes. I think their Superion let you plug everyone in wherever, since it used external hands and feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Seriously sideswipe's gun looks great on Swerve.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

The Taint Reaper posted:

Seriously sideswipe's gun looks great on Swerve.

Rung's worst nightmare

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Plus more than just a gimmick, interchangeable limbs also serve to make it easier to complete a combiner even if you can't find a particular limb; any other compatible figure can fill out for it.

Not that it concerns me too much since I'm a giftset kinda dude.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I had to go months with Twintwist serving as the leg to Ruination because I couldn't find Whirl and I wanted my 4 versions of the Bruticus mold to each have a different setup, with each limb mold serving as a right arm, left arm, left leg, and right leg between the 4.

I finally found whirl at K-mart of all places. :colbert:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What is the giant red gun from, Taint?

Knormal posted:

...What do you think Scramble City entails exactly?
Scramble city, in the OAV if I recall correctly, has the actual 'gimmick' of being able to plug the limbs into other combiners, sort of a mix and match PCC thing. I think like Superion goes down so they force themselves onto Menasor's body and make him punch himself in the head or something probably not that sweet. I was thinking maybe it showed up once in the G1 episodes as well, but generally Hasbro materials show combiners with the exact limbs in the exact positions, albeit with I'm sure a couple exceptions, so I'm not sure why they seem to be a slave to this gimmick.

Also I forgot about base modes. Were those ever in ANYTHING? Is there a single comic where they beat Furman in the head til he made Motormaster lie down and go spread eagle so they could drive on him?

Make a leg a leg and an arm an arm. I was trying to think if the bigger 3P budgets allow them to do it effectively, is why I asked. Seriously Hasbro just seems to keep skidding back from the last wave of the PCC 5-packs. Just take the lessons of Grimstone and you'd be 80% of the way there.

Where is Keldroc when you need him, I know he bought both the TFC guys.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Scramble city, in the OAV if I recall correctly, has the actual 'gimmick' of being able to plug the limbs into other combiners, sort of a mix and match PCC thing. I think like Superion goes down so they force themselves onto Menasor's body and make him punch himself in the head or something probably not that sweet. I was thinking maybe it showed up once in the G1 episodes as well, but generally Hasbro materials show combiners with the exact limbs in the exact positions, albeit with I'm sure a couple exceptions, so I'm not sure why they seem to be a slave to this gimmick.

Also I forgot about base modes. Were those ever in ANYTHING? Is there a single comic where they beat Furman in the head til he made Motormaster lie down and go spread eagle so they could drive on him?

Make a leg a leg and an arm an arm. I was trying to think if the bigger 3P budgets allow them to do it effectively, is why I asked. Seriously Hasbro just seems to keep skidding back from the last wave of the PCC 5-packs. Just take the lessons of Grimstone and you'd be 80% of the way there.

lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I kinda wanna just buy four sets and see how they look with four identical limbs

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Spiderdrake posted:

That's Generations Metroplex's Cannon

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Spiderdrake posted:

But then how do you account for Mister McGregg, with a leg for an arm, and an arm for a leg?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

But then how do you account for Mister McGregg, with a leg for an arm, and an arm for a leg?
Are you going to be complaining about gorilla leg-arms next?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Are you going to be complaining about gorilla leg-arms next?

DAMMIT ARMADA MEGATRON!!!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

DAMMIT ARMADA MEGATRON!!!

I still don't know what this means...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I still don't know what this means...

Well, it's a visual indicator of the problem with gorilla arms. Gorilla armed figures can only bend their elbows such that their hands are palms-up.

It's also a joke about lazy animation from an episode of Noted Good Show, Clone High.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rita Repulsa posted:

Rung's worst nightmare
Still waiting for a Rung figure that includes a peg so he can be carried by other toys.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Captain Invictus posted:

I kinda wanna just buy four sets and see how they look with four identical limbs

If you don't do it, someone else will. Beat them to the punch!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Spiderdrake posted:

Oh I get what you're saying, I thought you were implying the new guys weren't as hot-swapable as the G1 guys or something. I actually agree, I wish all combiners were done more Devestator-style, with more unique limb modes and less kibble. I really like the idea of built-in gestalt hands too, but FoC Bruticus kind of proves you can't do that well at an acceptable price point.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Having the hands and feet separate and universal also makes it really easy for people to produce add-ons if you wanna upgrade your combiners.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
There's a part of me that really admires the balls of trying to sell a $600 non-transforming Skorponok.

The rest of me is laughing.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It looks like having the limbs be interchangeable is going to be the line-wide gimmick so I'm sorry I guess.

The new Combiner Wars figures are not going to look half as good as the stuff Maketoys or Fansproject puts out, but they're going to be way cheaper and seem like they'll be fun to mess with. My third party combiners go on the shelf and look pretty, while these are going to go on the desk and give me something to fiddle with. Being able to make your own custom combiners through the scramble city system doesn't make for the most attractive robots out there but it's a proven fun play feature and the kids are going to love it. Most of Hasbro's gimmicks fall flat on their face after a year or two, but scramble city is tried and true.

Hasbro sure does like to throw out a bunch of sublines that wind up dead, though. Bot Shots are gone already. So are those MASK vehicles from movie 3. Kre-o is pretty much dead except for the mini-figs and TRU store exclusives. One step changers, construct-bots and those rock 'em sock 'em robot things are the current flavor of the week but they'll probably be gone before we know it.

That $600 non-transforming Scorponok is really pretty looking.

I'd never, ever, ever buy it, but he looks nice.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is that Scorp made from solid gold or something? How is freaking Fortress Maximus way cheaper?

I don't find it necessarily bad that Hasbro keeps making those offshoot sublines, since some end up having pretty cool stuff. The kreo minifigures and mini combiners ended up being very popular (stealing the spotlight from the actual kreo blocks), and the DOTM scout HA line was solid all around except for like one spider tank dude. I think we won't ever stop having these "on the side" sort of experimental lines and fans will never stop crying about them ruining the franchise, this time for real guys I swear.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Is that Scorp made from solid gold or something? How is freaking Fortress Maximus way cheaper?

I don't find it necessarily bad that Hasbro keeps making those offshoot sublines, since some end up having pretty cool stuff. The kreo minifigures and mini combiners ended up being very popular (stealing the spotlight from the actual kreo blocks), and the DOTM scout HA line was solid all around except for like one spider tank dude. I think we won't ever stop having these "on the side" sort of experimental lines and fans will never stop crying about them ruining the franchise, this time for real guys I swear.

They don't "ruin the line", but they do take up space and make the brand perform worse overall.

Those rock em sock em things and the sparkers are taking up 75% or more of the TF shelf space, and they're definitely getting ordered in lieu of regular transformers.

If they sell bad, retailers think Transformers sell bad. It's not good thing, and they aren't entirely harmless.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I dunno, stores over here are half movie generations, half one step and everything else, and they're on separate shelves for the most part. Except in some stores where they'll mix up the deluxes with some of the simplified ones who come in a waaaay too similar package. I had to triple check my Swoop before buying him because I'm obsessive like that. And I see the simple stuff looked at by parents a lot since they don't necessarily know which figures are "the good ones" but I feel I've made this point too many times already.

Speaking of stores I remembered overhearing a couple of funny situations at the store while I was picking figures the other day: One mom with his lil' boy asked a store employee:
"so, you transform the figure once and can't turn it back again, right?"
"no miss, these transform forth and back all you want"

-then she looked at her kid and angrily told him "but you said you needed a new one 'cause you had already transformed all of your robots!:mad:"

Moments later while I was in line to purchase another mom watching his kid pick up some TF she asked him if he was a bad guy in the movie, saying "remember what we talked about, no bad guy toys in our house!"

The figure was Optimus Prime so uh, I guess it's ambiguous.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Blackheart posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't mind them either. Sometimes I just look at them quizzically and laugh at their expense. I see the new boxing robot guys and just go "oh, hasbro." They don't even slightly resemble the characters they're supposed to represent. Maybe it was another toyline that got the transformers name slapped on? I dunno.

I give them props for trying, but rescue bots seems to be the only sublime that actually caught on.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Blackheart posted:

SEN-TI-NEL isn't Hasbro, they're a relatively small boutique toy company that generally does low-run high-end collectibles. If their (admittedly baller) Starship Troopers powered suit figure runs for $150 these days, $600 for a nearly 2-foot high chunk of solid plastic seems par for the course.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Finally the IDW crossover we've all been asking for, To Sell Toys: Really Obvious Mode.

(I'm still hyped, even if they won't have any base modes or the climatic 'Fireflight attaches to Menasor to punch him repeatedly in the head')

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there an accessory identifying guide for G1? When I bought my Menasor the seller tossed in some extra weapons for the vehicle modes and I want to sort out which goes to who and which are the extras.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Is there an accessory identifying guide for G1? When I bought my Menasor the seller tossed in some extra weapons for the vehicle modes and I want to sort out which goes to who and which are the extras.

Try this, the individual sections identify the figure's accessories.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
^^^oh hello

Rhyno posted:

Closest I can think of is http://www.tfu.info/ which obsessively catalogs that kind of thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks guys!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So a Store near me has G1 Sky Lynx for $39. I really want it, but what caveats are with it, anything I should look at to check for bustedness?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
The caveat is that you end up with a totally baller guy strutting across your room.
Also there was a reissue of him a couple years back, so make sure it's in great condition or you can just get a brand new one for slightly more.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also make sure I didn't sit on it accidentally on Christmas afternoon, snapping the shuttle tailfin clean off.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Road Buster and Sky Bite just hit my POL.

I'm on the fence with Piston and Gauntlet. Anybody that has them want to weigh in with an opinion? Are they good figures?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Anora posted:

So a Store near me has G1 Sky Lynx for $39. I really want it, but what caveats are with it, anything I should look at to check for bustedness?

Whenever you have an opportunity to purchase a Sky Lynx, ask yourself, "What would Sky Lynx do in my position?", and you will not go far wrong.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DoctorWhat posted:

Whenever you have an opportunity to purchase a Sky Lynx, ask yourself, "What would Sky Lynx do in my position?", and you will not go far wrong.

No this is wrong he might buy the Beast Hunters Sky Lynx.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Sky Lynx would know better than to buy BH Sky Lynx, my point stands.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah... might

(he was $5... I just couldn't say no...)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Is G1 Skylynx technically a combiner? it makes me wonder if we'll see him show up.

Like two voyagers who combine into Skylynx big beast mode. The shuttle could just be a normal robot instead of a giant chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Arsenal_12 posted:

Road Buster and Sky Bite just hit my POL.

I'm on the fence with Piston and Gauntlet. Anybody that has them want to weigh in with an opinion? Are they good figures?

Did they come out already? That was quick.

I have the Mech Ideas not-Twin Twist and uh, his twin. They are solid, fun figures. Very poseable, neat transformation, made of quality plastic. I've had one of them hanging from a shelf from his hammer for like almost a year and he hasn't budged at all. So, I would probably pick up the new guys from Mech Ideas if I wanted my own set of Wreckers.