Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

some texas redneck posted:

Pulled out into what appeared to be an unoccupied road leaving work.

Just as I hit the road, I see someone turn on their parking lights behind me. Oh wait...

Blacked out high beams. They were barely visible (literally just a slight "... what is that?" in my mirror, followed by a truck roaring past me doing 70+ in a 40). And of course he cuts me off and slams on his brakes.

Hey fuckstick, maybe if you didn't tint your headlights to the point that your high beams are dimmer than a match, I may have seen you, in your awesome black truck with black wheels, blacked out chrome, blacked out lights all the way around (even when he cut me off and hit his brakes, his tails were barely visible), late at night, with dealer plates. This is why I have a dashcam, and why I called the cops. The dealer plates should make it a bit easier to track down. My vision isn't the greatest without glasses (I had my glasses on), but the headlights were dimmer than my parking lights.

Part of me wishes he had hit me, just so I could watch a cop smack the gently caress out of him once I showed them video of "what lights?".

The BLACK GHOST ride again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:) "Hello, police, someone just ran into my car, and when he got out, I saw that he was totally white!"

:cop: "Despite what you may have heard, sir, we don't take that into account as a reason whether or not to attend the scene"

:) "No, really, you gotta see this poo poo..."

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

SyHopeful posted:

WA state has a law that states "delay of 5 or more vehicles illegal" or something to that effect, and they put signs up about it too. Of course, none of the geriatrics that I'd inevitably get stuck behind driving around on Whidbey Island paid attention to that. So many champagne mid-90s Cadillacs....

NY has no such law. There is a law against impeding traffic but you have to be going like 20 under to actually be ticketed for this. It's almost unheard of in this part of the state if the person isn't driving super erratically as well.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 28, 2015

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pixelated Dragon posted:

NY has no such law. There is a law against impeding traffic but you have to be going like 20 under to actually be ticketed for this. It's almost unheard of in this part of the state if the person isn't driving super erratically as well.

I used to work for an old guy who drove a huge Buick Electra 225. He was short, but pushed the seat way back so that his feet barely hit the pedals.

He got pulled over for doing 45 on the interstate. The cop told him that, while technically he was not violating the law, he was going to get killed for going so slow.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Mister Kingdom posted:

I used to work for an old guy who drove a huge Buick Electra 225. He was short, but pushed the seat way back so that his feet barely hit the pedals.

He got pulled over for doing 45 on the interstate. The cop told him that, while technically he was not violating the law, he was going to get killed for going so slow.

I kind of wish it would be more widely enforced just for the driver's own safety. If they get a couple tickets for it then they might stop going dangerously slow.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I kind of wish it would be more widely enforced just for the driver's own safety. If they get a couple tickets for it then they might stop going dangerously slow.

Speed Kills (tm).

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I haven't seen it since I don't remember when, but I do recall minimum speed limit signs on some interstate highway. 81 in PA maybe?.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

dee eight posted:

I haven't seen it since I don't remember when, but I do recall minimum speed limit signs on some interstate highway. 81 in PA maybe?.

The minimum speed limit on interstates is 40mph, but you'd have to be insane to drive that unless traffic dictates it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Many around here are 45 minimum signed, but I saw a lot of 40 minimums in the midwest.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

kastein posted:

Many around here are 45 minimum signed, but I saw a lot of 40 minimums in the midwest.

I assume it depends on the state.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

These are the people who we're forced to share the road with: http://wavy.com/2015/03/27/norfolk-installs-fence-to-curb-jaywalking/

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

“It’s a longer walk. To me, I don’t see why the fence is there, but I do like the lights,”

If you ever reach the age of 55 you may still not understand why the fence is there, but you will at least be 55. You don't even have to thank society for it. You still probably wont reach 55 though you loving idiot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Deeters posted:

These are the people who we're forced to share the road with: http://wavy.com/2015/03/27/norfolk-installs-fence-to-curb-jaywalking/

There are a few spots in Phoenix where they did this, adding a signalized crosswalk with fencing on either side of it, but they had to remake the fencing, adding height and spiked tops because people were just hopping over it, because that extra hundred feet or so to get to the crosswalk is just way too much effort for some people.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

\ This is why I have a dashcam, and why I called the cops.
Friday I was riding shotgun in Dallas and thought of you and your dashcam.

We* were heading south on 408 to get to I-20 to head east, and there was a white Ford F150 weaving over the white line on the right hand shoulder. He took the ramp to I-20 east, and managed to swerve away from both sides of the bridge. I was recording on my phone because I was sure he was going to crash right off of the bridge ramp. Once on I-20 he went into the middle lane of 5 lanes, weaved a bit, then almost sideswiped another F150 before going back to the shoulder. He exited a few miles later, weaving all over the white line. I called the cops on him but I didn't get the license plate because we didn't get close enough. Now to shop for dash cams.

*I drive a 18 wheeler and team with my dad, I was riding shotgun

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 29, 2015

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The Locator posted:

There are a few spots in Phoenix where they did this, adding a signalized crosswalk with fencing on either side of it, but they had to remake the fencing, adding height and spiked tops because people were just hopping over it, because that extra hundred feet or so to get to the crosswalk is just way too much effort for some people.

If you watched the video on that link, that's happening already. I have people wandering out into the road almost every time I drive around here.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Deeters posted:

If you watched the video on that link, that's happening already. I have people wandering out into the road almost every time I drive around here.

Yep, I saw that. Was pointing out that they had the same problem here and actually did some fence redesign (at least at one of the locations I've seen, in the area I used to work) to try to solve the stupidity of pedestrians.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

The road next to my house has its own underpass, with huge signs saying 'BE SAFE: USE THE SUBWAY'. There are still worn patches in the grass from people not wanting to walk about twenty yards out of their way, to avoid several lanes of fast-flowing traffic. There's no helping some people.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Was driving down a road today where there was a guy with white earbuds in walking down the left side staring off at the cemetery on his side of the road. Out of nowhere as I'm about to pass by him he just jogs across the street without even looking, doesn't even flinch at my honk.

I still don't get why it's illegal to hit people who clearly are dying to be roadkill.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
queue rant from one of the usual suspects about how you're a terrible person for honking at this pedestrian

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PCOS Bill posted:

I still don't get why it's illegal to hit people who clearly are dying to be roadkill.

I like my state's take on this:

ORC 4511.48 posted:

4511.48 Right-of-way yielded by pedestrian.
(A) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right of way to all vehicles, trackless trolleys, or streetcars upon the roadway.

(B), (C), and (D) all pretty much say the same thing in different ways.

(E) This section does not relieve the operator of a vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley from exercising due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian upon any roadway.

Basically drivers still have a responsibility to try to avoid a crash as always, but it's the jaywalker's fault if it happens.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Pulled out into what appeared to be an unoccupied road leaving work.

Just as I hit the road, I see someone turn on their parking lights behind me. Oh wait...

Blacked out high beams. They were barely visible (literally just a slight "... what is that?" in my mirror, followed by a truck roaring past me doing 70+ in a 40). And of course he cuts me off and slams on his brakes.

Hey fuckstick, maybe if you didn't tint your headlights to the point that your high beams are dimmer than a match, I may have seen you, in your awesome black truck with black wheels, blacked out chrome, blacked out lights all the way around (even when he cut me off and hit his brakes, his tails were barely visible), late at night, with dealer plates. This is why I have a dashcam, and why I called the cops. The dealer plates should make it a bit easier to track down. My vision isn't the greatest without glasses (I had my glasses on), but the headlights were dimmer than my parking lights.

Part of me wishes he had hit me, just so I could watch a cop smack the gently caress out of him once I showed them video of "what lights?".

Planning on posting the video for this one?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

wolrah posted:

I like my state's take on this:

Basically drivers still have a responsibility to try to avoid a crash as always, but it's the jaywalker's fault if it happens.

I think that's true in a lot of states, aside from intersections or marked crosswalks. In my area people try to cross four-lane highways and get run over fairly frequently, but the driver is usually only charged if they were DUI or if they leave the scene. In fact, in a couple of local cases where parents and their kids were jaywalking and the kids got hit and killed, it was the jaywalking parents, rather than the drivers, who were charged with vehicular manslaughter.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

I jaywalk all the time. It's not hard to use common sense about it. I've never even had a "close call".

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I jaywalk all the time. It's not hard to use common sense about it. I've never even had a "close call".

To be fair, there are a lot of "but pedestrians always have the right of way" assholes who will just step off the curb without even glancing in one direction and expect everyone to come to a screeching halt.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Some of the Sheep posted:

Planning on posting the video for this one?

Didn't think about it :doh: - it's long gone from the camera by now too. :smith:

Geoj posted:

To be fair, there are a lot of "but pedestrians always have the right of way" assholes who will just step off the curb without even glancing in one direction and expect everyone to come to a screeching halt.

I had the opposite happen today - a family stepped off a curb into traffic in front of me, I stood on the brakes and stopped - one of them started yelling at his family and gesturing at me for stopping. You stepped into a crosswalk and I stopped, which is what the law requires, why are you mad at me for actually giving you the right of way that you legally have? :psypop:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Didn't think about it :doh: - it's long gone from the camera by now too. :smith:

I had the opposite happen today - a family stepped off a curb into traffic in front of me, I stood on the brakes and stopped - one of them started yelling at his family and gesturing at me for stopping. You stepped into a crosswalk and I stopped, which is what the law requires, why are you mad at me for actually giving you the right of way that you legally have? :psypop:

If they were in a marked crosswalk that's odd, but speaking personally, if I'm jaywalking and see a clear spot after you, I'll step off the curb but not into your way and wait for you to pass, then cross. When people stop when not obligated to do so, it just fucks everything up.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Obviously you stopped dangerously quickly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It was a marked crosswalk. 45 mph road, stood on the brakes pretty hard, but didn't lock anything up (but I could smell the brakes afterwards).

They didn't step directly into my way - I could probably have passed them safely - but it was a marked crosswalk, and I had a cop behind me, with a giant rear end "HEY I'M A PIZZA GUY" sign on my car with the phone number of my employer. State law states if anyone is in a marked crosswalk, you have to stop for them. hosed if I stop, hosed if I don't stop.

atomicthumbs posted:

Obviously you stopped dangerously quickly.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

It was a marked crosswalk. 45 mph road, stood on the brakes pretty hard, but didn't lock anything up (but I could smell the brakes afterwards).

They didn't step directly into my way - I could probably have passed them safely - but it was a marked crosswalk, and I had a cop behind me, with a giant rear end "HEY I'M A PIZZA GUY" sign on my car with the phone number of my employer. State law states if anyone is in a marked crosswalk, you have to stop for them. hosed if I stop, hosed if I don't stop.

How expensive is your commercial insurance policy? Does what you make delivering pizzas even make it worth the cost?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:allears: You're adorable.

I've never known a restaurant driver to carry commercial insurance, and the only chain that's ever mentioned it to me has been Pizza Hut. My insurance would easily be at least triple what it is now.

It's absolutely not worth it, but it's an easy job to get, and seeing as it's all I've done for the past 5 years, it's hard to get anything else that's remotely above minimum wage. Most pizza places pay below minimum wage (when I left Papa John's, I made $4.25 an hour + $1.59 per delivery, in 2012 - when I left Pizza Hut, I made $5.85/hr + $1.10/delivery, in December); the few that pay minimum or above usually don't pay any form of fuel reimbursement. I currently make $7.50/hr + tips, no fuel reimbursement. My take home pay overall is about $1200-1500/month.

I do carry above state minimums for insurance, at least ($100k CSL).

For comparison, 14 years ago, I made $7.50/hr + $0.69 per delivery at Papa John's, after a year (started at minimum, which back then was $5.25/hr). Drivers at corporate-owned Papa John's stores aren't eligible for raises of any kind, ever - they're forever at $4.25 in most markets (unless state/city law dictates higher).

It's a lovely job, but it's also hard to get out of.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 30, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pretty sure that was a dickish sarcastic snipe at you, but I think his point was that most insurance companies will deny the poo poo out of your claim if you're operating your vehicle for business purposes and you didn't pay for commercial insurance.

That being said, it's something I've heard online, and I assume is true, but I do not know that factually.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh I know. I just chose to ignore him being a dick.

I've actually had insurance try to drop me before when I was in an accident far, far outside of my delivery area (as in not even in the same county or area code - I wasn't even at-fault, but it was a hit and run), going so far as to demand maps of my delivery area from my boss (boss told them to gently caress off, and just gave them boundaries) and demand time clock records (boss also told them to gently caress off on that and said I was off at the time). Insurance company still hosed me over and only authorized a rental for 5 days, when it took 2 weeks for my car to get fixed, and the adjuster actually called threatening to call the police if I didn't turn the rental back in (and this is why I refuse to ever use Progressive again).

That said, every place I've worked at (aside from this one) made me sign a waiver with regards to insurance, saying my own insurance would take effect first. This one didn't.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Spent the weekend in DC/Northern VA suburbs. Holy poo poo. Its not even the amount of traffic on the road, the people are just idiots. They merge at 30 mph and immediately cut to the far left lane without signalling, where they finally accelerate to 45. This is the majority of the people on the road. Honestly this is the one place where the right lane is wide open and you can drive a reasonable speed.

Then there's the whole road design aspect. Sometimes you have HOV lanes - sometimes they're a two person per car minimum, sometimes three. Sometimes there is an indicator to let you know that the shoulder has now become a travel lane. Sometimes this lane just ends.

I mean goddam I'll spend an eternity in LA over this.

The Metro was nice though.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
it was a very beautiful day yesterday.

I was out working on one of my motorcycles and took a few test rides around the block, each about 45 mins apart.

Each time, the same little girl would run out into the street trying to get me to hit her. We're talkling like 5-6 years old.

FogHelmut posted:

Spent the weekend in DC/Northern VA suburbs. Holy poo poo. Its not even the amount of traffic on the road, the people are just idiots. They merge at 30 mph and immediately cut to the far left lane without signalling, where they finally accelerate to 45. This is the majority of the people on the road. Honestly this is the one place where the right lane is wide open and you can drive a reasonable speed.

It's funny, usually i'm commuting pretty early. I'm usually on the road by 5:45 and in the office by 6:30. If I leave within this timeframe, traffic is always full of polite, professional drivers who don't linger in the left lane if you want to go faster, and if you are in the left lane approachig their tail, they will move over as soon as it is safe.

Now, if I am on the road anytime after 6:00am? Forget it. Thats when all the shitheads come out. IT's amazing, its like a switch goes off.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Old lady driving west in eastbound traffic on a 5 lane city street. On a mobility scooter. Giving folks the finger as they avoid her.

She ended up in the back of a police cruiser.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Pretty sure that was a dickish sarcastic snipe at you, but I think his point was that most insurance companies will deny the poo poo out of your claim if you're operating your vehicle for business purposes and you didn't pay for commercial insurance.

That being said, it's something I've heard online, and I assume is true, but I do not know that factually.

It is true, but depends on each company. Typically if you are using your car for business purposes such as a travelling nurse, construction site supervisor, etc. where you aren't delivering items or people for compensation it'll be covered, but they may drop you or rerate it to a business policy.

When you get into delivery for compensation (property or people such as Uber) it gets a lot less likely they'll afford coverage. Almost every carrier I've seen has it excluded.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geoj posted:

Couple years ago some teenage girl stopped in the middle of the road in front of me to finish a text. It was a 25 mph neighborhood road so she wasn't in any major danger, but it was still fantastically stupid. She just stood on the double yellow line and tapped away as I approached, never glanced up when I came to a near halt and beeped my horn at her.

Kept an eye on her in the mirrors as I drove off, after a few seconds she started walked again and still had never once looked up from her phone.

Worst part? She probably has a car and a driver's license these days.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Geoj posted:

Even if that were true it's still stupid to wander out into oncoming traffic. Whether or not you're technically and legally "not at fault" it still doesn't seem worth it to get struck by a vehicle. I just think a lot of people are just too busy with their Smartphones to look both ways?

Bicyclists piss me off when I'm driving. They're supposed to follow the rules of the road but they don't, for the most part, and they get angry at you when they blow through red lights.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 30, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The other night I was coming home through a poorly lit section of my neighborhood which I'm always hyper-vigilant on. This night there was a bicyclist in all black/dark colors weaving across both lanes on his cell phone over the double yellow back and forth (Or otherwise with one hand up to his ear) and no lights, no reflectors on his rear that didn't respond in any way to a tap of the horn. I just waited until he was in the oncoming lane and hoped he wouldn't swerve back as I passed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do bicyclists ever get ticketed? They're not required to carry ID so I imagine it would be pretty hard to enforce any sort of traffic laws such as running a red light.