Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Desk Lamp posted:

You people are really weird. I assume the rate of sexual assault in the wizard world is roughly the same as it is in the real world simply because most people aren't rapists. You're all acting like the only thing keeping us from raping everyone we see in the real world is that it just isn't easy enough without magic.

#NotAllWizards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Desk Lamp posted:

You people are really weird. I assume the rate of sexual assault in the wizard world is roughly the same as it is in the real world simply because most people aren't rapists. You're all acting like the only thing keeping us from raping everyone we see in the real world is that it just isn't easy enough without magic.

Well, but we do have this magic, we just call them roofies instead of potions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Desk Lamp posted:

I was going to post the same earlier but I just really don't care to talk about this. I think that's the problem, only the crazies are discussing it so its a pretty crazy discussion.

Lets talk about literally anything else.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Desk Lamp posted:

The rate of sexual assault is all but guaranteed to be higher among Rowling's wizards than in reality. In reality potential rapists can be dissuaded by the lack of opportunity or the prospect of the victim reporting them, but the wizards are quite literally taught at school how to make magic Rohypnol, wipe their victim's memory and create perfect disguises.

E: this is not the same as saying all wizards are rapists because not every wizard would want to. But any wizard who does want to has little if anything to hold him back.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Dec 4, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
When Zaphod "writes short essays about the smallest things" 42 refuses to discuss a subject you know you're in a bad place

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought we pretty much solved this rape issue with the response of extremely strict curfew (plus they don't allow boys into the girls' dormitories and vice versa). Why are we still talking about it?

I think youll find that historically the amount of molestation and rape that occurred at all boys boarding schools was shockingly bad.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
What the gently caress you guys

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Desk Lamp posted:

most people aren't rapists

:mrgw:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

One of the weirdest derails ever but admittedly pretty funny to me that people think it's such a hard thing to fathom. This is the same nation that knighted Jimmy Savile after all.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Apparently given the opportunity every person in this thread would rape the living poo poo out of you and everyone you know and love.

Sleep well little one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's a weird and bad discussion, but sexual assault definitely does happen at youth boarding schools, even single-gender ones. It's fine that it's not mentioned in the books, but don't pretend that the possibility of such a thing is just a fantasy cooked up by perverts.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i know when i watch a movie about wizards, all i can think about is "man how many of these wizards are raping other wizards????"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

cheerfullydrab posted:

but don't pretend that the possibility of magic-augmented non-consensual intercourse among wizard trainees in a universe created by a children's book author is just a fantasy cooked up by perverts.

That is like the definition of "perverse fantasy"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I don't like rapes. I do like grapes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

I don't like rapes. I do like grapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yt0b_QBP_A

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: She was asking for it....no seriously, she was. It was a love potion...so....rape?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
What if wizards are real but all they do is magic rape people 24/7 and we don't know because they have perfect disguises and wipe memories?

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

It's rape, all the way down.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rape by love potion shows up in the actual books as a major plot point.

I don't go around ruminating on it all the time, but it's not just some completely off-base thing an internet pervert made up out of whole cloth.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I don't go around ruminating on it all the time, but it's not just some completely off-base thing an internet pervert made up out of whole cloth.

So what is your goal here? Do you just want everyone to acknowledge love potions are ~problematic~? Should we report JK Rowling to the authorities for creating a fictional rape device? Should we stop kids from reading it because love potions can be used to rape people? What is the whole point of this stupid discussion?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nobody is saying it is completely off-base. Not a single person has said that. Stop pretending like people are arguing that and you have to defend rape.

We're just saying its a loving stupid topic so please drop it and move along.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zaphod42 posted:

Nobody is saying it is completely off-base. Not a single person has said that.

Several people are saying exactly that.

Zaphod42 posted:

I nerd out about a lot of minor details in movies and books and poo poo but I have never once wondered this at all. Its a loving book.

Source your quotes :stonk:

Murphy Brownback posted:

e: also talking about sexual assault in harry potter is silly.

Alaois posted:

i know when i watch a movie about wizards, all i can think about is "man how many of these wizards are raping other wizards????"

MariusLecter posted:

What if wizards are real but all they do is magic rape people 24/7 and we don't know because they have perfect disguises and wipe memories?

KM Scorchio posted:

It's rape, all the way down.

In fact, you're one of them.

Zaphod42 posted:

Stop pretending like people are arguing that and you have to defend rape.

yes, defending rape, that is a thing I do

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

I'm pretty sure I picked up an underlying pro-slavery sentiment in the Toy Story series. Discuss.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I said it was silly not because it "doesn't happen" in the book/movies, but because it is a loving book and none of it actually happened.

e: vv so why does anyone care? I can understand sperging out about actually important plot points, but hte hypothetical rape of students with love potions is not one of them. Yes it happened with Voldemort's mom, but it's not portrayed in a good light and any reasonable person would assume that kind of thing is rare.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Dec 4, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Murphy Brownback posted:

I said it was silly not because it "doesn't happen" in the book/movies, but because it is a loving book and none of it actually happened.

That we are aware of.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Christmas with the Kranks. Everything about it. There is no moment that isn't irritating. Also it's not irrational, so wrong thread probably. In summation, gently caress Christmas with the Kranks.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Murphy Brownback posted:

If you don't want to discuss things that happened in stories but not in real life then go make a PYF Irrationally Irritating History Moments thread.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If you don't want to discuss things that happened in stories but not in real life then go make a PYF Irrationally Irritating History Moments thread.

Yes, Voldemort's mom date-raped his dad. Nobody said this didn't happen. It's portrayed in the books and received by the reader as a negative thing. Everythign else is wild speculation about whether students are raping each other. Go back to your bad gimmick in the social media thread.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are horny as gently caress and quick to rape.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Several people are saying exactly that.

In fact, you're one of them.

yes, defending rape, that is a thing I do

Are you thick or something? I said "We should not talk about this because its loving stupid" not "This is ridiculous because it couldn't happen and doesn't happen"

The gently caress is wrong with you?

When you get the inclination to go quote 10 posts to serious-post about defending rape in a fantasy setting, you need medication.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I said it was silly not because it "doesn't happen" in the book/movies

Seriously Lottery of Babylon what in the gently caress is wrong with you that you can't understand this.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

theironjef posted:

Christmas with the Kranks. Everything about it. There is no moment that isn't irritating. Also it's not irrational, so wrong thread probably. In summation, gently caress Christmas with the Kranks.

I desperately want to jump on this lifeline, this sole flotsam in a sea of awful posts, and cling to it, let this new discussion carry me through these turbulent waters, but I have no clue what a Krank is. Was arnold Shwarzeneger in this movie? I Don't know why I think that. Someone, please post more about whatever a crank christmas is.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Krinkle posted:

I desperately want to jump on this lifeline, this sole flotsam in a sea of awful posts, and cling to it, let this new discussion carry me through these turbulent waters, but I have no clue what a Krank is. Was arnold Shwarzeneger in this movie? I Don't know why I think that. Someone, please post more about whatever a crank christmas is.

Initially, I read it as "Christmas with the Krunks," which I imagined to be a film about a bunch of people getting wasted and high as hell and decorating trees, but alas

The Terminal: The music is so goddamn cheesy good lord why, the rest of the film is so good :smith:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Krinkle posted:

You're thinking of Jingle All the Way, which is one of my favorite movies. It stars Arnold and Sinbad. How can you go wrong?

Christmas with the Kranks was I think a Tim Allen movie which I remember being mediocre and not offensively bad. Just a boring family movie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Tim Allen

Also don't forget about The Santa Clause 2

Krank Christmas not to be confused with Crank Christmas which is what happens at the meth clinic at the end of the year :cheeky:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Krinkle posted:

Christmas with the Kranks is a 2004 holiday film starring Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis, with featured players Dan Akroyd, Cheech Marin, Garey Busey, and the youngest kid from Malcolm in the Middle.

It's an adaptation of a John Grisham novel called "Skipping Christmas" and revolves around a couple (the Kranks) whose daughter has left for Peru, leaving them without their daughter for the first Christmas in 23 years. While the wife is distraught, the husband does some calculations and realizes that as big rich WASPs, they spend 6200 dollars on Christmas every year, and decides to skip it, going on a 3000 dollar cruise instead. The wife agrees. This is all normal so far. Next step is that Allen decides "gently caress Christmas in all ways, I will write a letter to my coworkers disavowing myself of any Christmas gifts or activities, and also I will not decorate my house for any reason." This angers everyone in town, especially local neighborhood honcho Akroyd, who shows up saying "Hey, you guys always decorate, what gives" and is told "We're skipping Christmas this year, no exceptions" to which Akroyd reasonably says "Hey, at least let us in your garage, we'll do all your decorating, we just want to win some city contest." Of course, this is also a no. Hijinks ensue, mostly revolving around Tim Allen mugging, Jamie Lee Curtis shrieking, and every single person in the entire city being an rear end in a top hat at every opportunity for the entire film right up to the credits. (The resolution by the way is Allen realizing the true meaning of Christmas is spending 6000 dollars on a big party when he realizes his daughter is surprising them by returning from Peru for Christmas after being in Peru for like... maybe a week)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I hate this loving thread.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

theironjef posted:

Christmas with the Kranks is a 2004 holiday film starring Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis, with featured players Dan Akroyd, Cheech Marin, Garey Busey, and the youngest kid from Malcolm in the Middle.

It's an adaptation of a John Grisham novel called "Skipping Christmas" and revolves around a couple (the Kranks) whose daughter has left for Peru, leaving them without their daughter for the first Christmas in 23 years. While the wife is distraught, the husband does some calculations and realizes that as big rich WASPs, they spend 6200 dollars on Christmas every year, and decides to skip it, going on a 3000 dollar cruise instead. The wife agrees. This is all normal so far. Next step is that Allen decides "gently caress Christmas in all ways, I will write a letter to my coworkers disavowing myself of any Christmas gifts or activities, and also I will not decorate my house for any reason." This angers everyone in town, especially local neighborhood honcho Akroyd, who shows up saying "Hey, you guys always decorate, what gives" and is told "We're skipping Christmas this year, no exceptions" to which Akroyd reasonably says "Hey, at least let us in your garage, we'll do all your decorating, we just want to win some city contest." Of course, this is also a no. Hijinks ensue, mostly revolving around Tim Allen mugging, Jamie Lee Curtis shrieking, and every single person in the entire city being an rear end in a top hat at every opportunity for the entire film right up to the credits. (The resolution by the way is Allen realizing the true meaning of Christmas is spending 6000 dollars on a big party when he realizes his daughter is surprising them by returning from Peru for Christmas after being in Peru for like... maybe a week)

loving Tim Allen and Dan Aykroyd in the same movie.

Yeah, no.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought we pretty much solved this rape issue with the response of extremely strict curfew (plus they don't allow boys into the girls' dormitories and vice versa). Why are we still talking about it?
Mostly, I think, because there are a bunch of people who are getting really angry about people discussing it. If it hadn't been for all the people going "Ugh, why would you even think about that, even if it is explicitly mentioned in the books/movies that love potions are used pretty commonly, normal people would just ignore that and never think about it being used by rapists, even if that is also actually explicitly mentioned in the books/movies, and anyway it's a stupid complaint and there's no place for those in the irrationally irritations in movies thread because shut up that's why.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
You guys have people who honestly spend $6000 on just Christmas?

That isn't real that, because that is a goodly portion of my take home pay for the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

this is the best thread on sa right now