Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I hope the one with the giant farm animals is your number one, as it should be for everyone.

I somehow managed to avoid ever seeing or hearing of that episode and I'm not sure how. I was shocked when a friend brought it up about a month ago because I literally had never seen it and I was sure I'd seen every BTAS episode. Even not I'm not sure it wasn't some weird shared hallucination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

New Batman Adventures doesn't count as BTAS.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

That's not a DC thing. Remember the panel of Dr. Doom, murderous dictator, shedding a single tear over 9/11?

At least the people killed by HIS atrocities died knowing the full glory and power of DOOM! The people he was crying for were denied that privilege and that's enough to make anyone cry.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Confirmed, TNBA not B:TAS.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Everyone says The New Batman Adventures sucked, but TNBA had Nightwing, Tim Drake, and the better character designs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

"Not as good as BTAS" doesn't mean it sucked. It just means it was inferior to the second best superhero cartoon of all time.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

WickedHate posted:

Everyone says The New Batman Adventures sucked, but TNBA had Nightwing, Tim Drake, and the better character designs.

Except for the Joker.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

"Not as good as BTAS" doesn't mean it sucked. It just means it was inferior to the second best superhero cartoon of all time.

Wait, what's the first?...Avengers: United They Stand?

roffels posted:

Except for the Joker.

I dunno, I like his new look, but I can see why other people don't. I think it has more pizzazz, more striking, comical but still creepy.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 6, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

On the other hand,

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

On the other hand,

Okay, this one I do not contest, New Riddler is pretty fuckin bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Travis343 posted:

On the other hand,

Also the new version of Bruce Wayne was super boring.
He goes from this

to this

He goes from "No way that guy could ever be Batman" to "Oh yeah, that's Batman."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

He goes from this

to this

He goes from "No way that guy could ever be Batman" to "Oh yeah, that's Batman."

That mustard colored shirt was awful. Alfred has a lot to answer for.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

That mustard colored shirt was awful. Alfred has a lot to answer for.

Exactly! Batman would never wear such appalling clothes, it's all part of the ruse.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Alfred gave him a yellow shirt so people would focus on it and not on his head.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The only design from New Batman Adventures that I felt was an outright improvement was Scarecrow.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

muscles like this? posted:

He goes from this

to this

Yeah, it's garbage. He even does the deeper voice when he's Bruce. I'd also argue Joker, Catwoman, Bane, Croc and Scarecrow are at least a little worse than their original designs but Riddler is the absolute worst out of the whole show.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

(Wolverine Weapon X #15)

(Same run, #13)(click for bigger)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That page always makes me yearn for a Jason Aaron run on Spider-man.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man sorry guys, I didn't know what I would start with my NAZI Joker one off. I will say that in my mind that's one of the highlights of an incredibly weak story.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Give Jason Aaron the Avengers.

And The New Batman Adventures had Over the Edge, so shut your mouths.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Critters isn't a masterpiece by any means, but it's got a bizarre fun quality to it. Worth it for the scene where the robot goat walks into GCPD.

The DVD commentary is so :smith:. They had no idea why people hated the episode so much. Peter Breck drove halfway across the US to voice Farmer Brown.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I still think batman beyond is criminally underated

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Who thinks that? I'll fight them. Seriously Batman Beyond had two daytime Emmys. Is good.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bunnyofdoom posted:

I dunno, it depends on your definition of underrated. 99% of discussion I've seen about it says it's a masterpiece, and I agree. It's not like it's ignored either, since DC still puts out a BB book on the strength of it's popularity and has for awhile. It got three seasons, a movie, and apparently two Emmys.

Come to think of it I don't think BB can be called underrated at all.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 6, 2016

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

WickedHate posted:

I dunno, it depends on your definition of underrated. 99% of discussion I've seen about it says it's a masterpiece, and I agree. It's not like it's ignored either, since DC still puts out a BB book on the strength of it's popularity and has for awhile.

The comic kinda sucks, but all the Justice League Beyond ones with him in it are pretty good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Also happened in an old Bill Finger story with the same name. I'd say the cartoon episode was based on it but... uh, never saw that episode to confirm.

The crux of the plot in the cartoon is an old mobster leaves the Joker millions in cash, or which Joker uses to go legit, but only the first 100,000 bucks are real, and the rest of the cash is obvious fake bills and the Joker had already spent all the real money when the IRS hands him a sizeable inheritance tax bill.

I haven't read the Bill Finger story, but at the very least it's probably safe to assume Timm and Dini were aware of it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I have no clue where this is from.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

bunnyofdoom posted:

Who the hell underrates Batman Beyond? I thought everyone loved that show. Which they should, since it's really just "what if Batman was Spider-Man, also it's the future" which it turns out is a fantastic idea.

If any part of the DCAU is underrated it's Superman, which is also great if not quite as revolutionary as BTAS. That show introduced me to the New Gods and made me love Superman as a character forever. It's definitely my personal favorite.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Skwirl posted:

The crux of the plot in the cartoon is an old mobster leaves the Joker millions in cash, or which Joker uses to go legit, but only the first 100,000 bucks are real, and the rest of the cash is obvious fake bills and the Joker had already spent all the real money when the IRS hands him a sizeable inheritance tax bill.

I haven't read the Bill Finger story, but at the very least it's probably safe to assume Timm and Dini were aware of it.

Yeah, that's exactly what happens in the comic. Probably an adaptation, then.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SomeMathGuy posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what happens in the comic. Probably an adaptation, then.

Dini and Timm loved adapting classic stories. The Laughing Fish is a prime example (and it's where Harley's character really started developing on the show).

And the answer to "Best BtAS Episode" is Almost Got 'im. :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Dini and Timm loved adapting classic stories. The Laughing Fish is a prime example (and it's where Harley's character really started developing on the show).

And the answer to "Best BtAS Episode" is Almost Got 'im. :colbert:

I haven't tried ranking them, but Almost Got'im is probably top five at worst.

I'm terrible at bests or favorites though, there's probably 20 episodes of BTAS that I'd put in my top 5. The one with mutant farm animals isn't one of them, but it's a pretty good episode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

Kingpin I can see having a "The only person who gets to terrorize my town is ME" attitude, but Magneto has murdered way more than 3000 people on multiple occasions.

Yes, but there were mutants in those towers. INNOCENT MUTANTS!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Kingpin I can see having a "The only person who gets to terrorize my town is ME" attitude, but Magneto has murdered way more than 3000 people on multiple occasions.
The Beyonder said he was a hero, and that's good enough for me.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOCydGRcv1A

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I've been waiting almost fifteen years for a 9-11 Spider-Man joke to be funny, and I haven't found a single one. John Romita Jr is as New York as it gets when it comes to comic books.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
In no way is Batman Beyond underrated. The only bad parts I can think of were the relatively weak villains (especially in Season 1) and Epilogue existing. Even though I'm pretty sure that's a JLU episode, it retroactively made me mad at Batman Beyond. Superman TAS is probably the underrated one.

Ygolonac posted:

(Wolverine Weapon X #15)

(Same run, #13)(click for bigger)

I actually laughed out loud at that.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Travis343 posted:

The best Joker is 'Crime as performance art' Joker a la B:TAS and Burton's Batman 89.

Joker in the comics around those years was pretty similar. I've posted his movie director caper he pulled against AzBats in this thread already, I believe.

I also love this, the Joker who loves old comedy routines, as seen in Going Sane. It's a great counterpart to something I love about Batman, when he loves classic adventure movies because of Zorro. There's a story where he's trying to save some old actor from a serial killer who targeted senior citizens and he thinks "He knew Douglas Fairbanks. He can't die." Come to think of it both of those stories were in Legends of the Dark Knight.

Goddamn legends of the dark knight was a great book.

I really liked this one issue of Detective Comics where Joker has Robin tied up in a car and is driving around running people over and shooting drive-thru workers and Robin ends up distracting him by arguing about old Marx brothers bits or something.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Love Spidey trolling Ben hard. Goddamn.

Fun fact about that story arc where Juggs knocks down the WTC: it was supposedly Liefeld's breaking point with Marvel because they censored an idea he had where Shatterstar slips his sword blade right into Juggernaut's eye via the tiny slit on his helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Love Spidey trolling Ben hard. Goddamn.

Fun fact about that story arc where Juggs knocks down the WTC: it was supposedly Liefeld's breaking point with Marvel because they censored an idea he had where Shatterstar slips his sword blade right into Juggernaut's eye via the tiny slit on his helmet.

You'd think, of any sword guy, Shatterstar makes the least sense for that to happen. What with how his swords have two swords on each sword. Right next to eachother.

E: so whenever Liefeld drew Shatterstar cutting a dude, did he show like an arm coming off and then a little disc like a ham steak from between the swords