Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tirranek posted:

Just finished the Witcher 2 this morning so I thought I'd give this thread a read from the start while 3 downloaded. Still not sure if that was a terrible mistake or invaluable life lesson. Good news is it's finished downloading and is a lot of fun so far. Just curious if there are any settings I should definitely kill on a mid-highish(but not great) PC. Don't really care about the shinies all that much.

The most important after hairworks is to make sure your game is playing at 'fullscreen' and not the default 'borderless window'. That's an easy 12-15 fps increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished the "find Dandelion" quest chain yesterday and while I enjoyed some of the moment to moment bits, as a whole it was kind of a mess. Mainly how they kind of split things up between multiple quests, which means you could end up learning stuff out of order. I did the treasure stuff first and ended up not sure why I even needed to do the Whoreson Junior investigation. I went through all of it but it felt kind of pointless to the proceedings.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I bought formulas for enhanced Moon Dust and Northern Wind and I can't actually make them, they're not in my alchemy list. The druid ripped me off.

Those recipes are glitched, to make them you have to drop those bombs from your inventory and then make basic and enhanced versions without leaving alchemy screen.
And after it the enhanced recipe will become invisible again and it'll show you haven't made the basics in alchemy, you'll still have improved bombs in the inventory.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Drifter posted:

The most important after hairworks is to make sure your game is playing at 'fullscreen' and not the default 'borderless window'. That's an easy 12-15 fps increase.

Really? Unless patch 1.04 changed it, I got better performance borderless at native res. I haven't messed around with my settings since the patch but I didn't notice anything drop.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Really? Unless patch 1.04 changed it, I got better performance borderless at native res. I haven't messed around with my settings since the patch but I didn't notice anything drop.

No man, for me and my i2500k/gtx760 if I run borderless with my settings (high settings) I get 28-32 fps, with fullscreen mode and the same settings I run about 48-52 fps. Same locations, same everything else.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Arglebargle III posted:

What's bad about the combat system though?

- Difficulty curve is all over the place, though to be fair that isn't so terrible in a single player game

- The camera is not responsive, whether you lock on or soft lock

- Geralt's movement in relation to your directional input is vague at best. It seems to rely partially on the camera and partially on which enemy he's locked on to, and sometimes he just seems to slide left or right when you push forward

- Geralt's movement in general is inconsistent and sloppy. Better than while running around, but still shifts between tip toeing and sprinting without ever feeling satisfying. I would rather have all movement be either consistently slow, or consistently fast and twitchy

- Attacks are tied to animations (which I like) but those animations are not reliable. You never know which one will play, and several feel very different in terms of their range, how long they take to play out, and where they will leave you.

- Sort of related to the above point: This game doesn't have the same sort of "your attack will definitely hit a nearby enemy unless blocked" magnetism in something like Arkham or Mordor. That's fine in itself. Without it, however, and without a very high level of precision and control over your attacks and their ranges, combat winds up feeling sloppy

- Enemies frequently back off then run in circles, or get caught in geometry

- Geralt isn't technically in combat if he pulls his sword out, even if a distant enemy is plinking him with arrows

- Having the combat tied into optional items like potions/bombs/etc. is great, but the terrible inventory UI intrudes upon combat if you decide to use more than the two quick-slotted items in any given category. This is obviously a rare situation, but I think it inhibits experimentation rather than encouraging it

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Drifter posted:

No man, for me and my i2500k/gtx760 if I run borderless with my settings I get 28-32 fps, with fullscreen mode and the same settings I run about 48-52 fps. Same locations, same everything else.

that's weird, borderless should run better in theory, right?

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

- Difficulty curve is all over the place, though to be fair that isn't so terrible in a single player game

lock on also seems to be a drag, more cumbersome than useful

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is it the same as Witcher 2's swordplay? It definitely sounds similar, right down to Geralt occasionally losing his depth perception and taking a mighty swing at an enemy resting comfortably two feet from the tip of his blade.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

Spikeguy posted:

You know what I forgot about? The downgrade stuff. Is anyone still claiming this to be the case?

It doesn't bother me personally as I didn't pay any attention to this game until like a month before release, and even if I had, I pretty much expect any early images to be bullshots anyway. But the screenshots they showed when the game was in development looked much better than the game at release. I don't see how you can argue that.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drifter posted:

No man, for me and my i2500k/gtx760 if I run borderless with my settings (high settings) I get 28-32 fps, with fullscreen mode and the same settings I run about 48-52 fps. Same locations, same everything else.

That's still not a universal remedy, fullscreen changes absolutely nothing for me except that alt+tab takes longer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^ - Hmmm, maybe there's no single universal remedy then and I'm giving my experience the same way everyone has given theirs?

- Geralt's movement in general is inconsistent and sloppy. Better than while running around, but still shifts between tip toeing and sprinting without ever feeling satisfying. I would rather have all movement be either consistently slow, or consistently fast and twitchy

- Attacks are tied to animations (which I like) but those animations are not reliable. You never know which one will play, and several feel very different in terms of their range, how long they take to play out, and where they will leave you.

Oh man, loving these. The first one is a goddamn travesty, the second is annoying because it's almost like there's a lovely RNG thrown inside my 'skill-based' combat. gently caress that. I'm being hyperbolic, of course. I still really enjoy the game. But still. :mad:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 3, 2015

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Kawabata posted:

I don't think it's a minority view. Story, atmosphere and characters in this game are incredible. The fact that such a bad combat system isn't a deal breaker in any way is a testament to how stellar everything else is.

Based on this thread, people who think the combat system is bad are a definitely a minority. People who think it is flawed (where flawed != bad) are extremely common though.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
The LOD texture pop in is very jarring to me, but i play on a very large screen so it's kinda in my face all the time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's hilarious, there's a patch release 'trust' poll on the CDPr forums about how everyone's loving PISSED they won't be releasing patch 1.05 today.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/45118-CDPR-trust-poll-do-you-believe-we-ll-have-the-patch-today

People are raging about how they'd rather have had CDPr delay the release of the game for another month or whatever, failing to see a distinction for them to just not play the game on their own for another few weeks while these patches get released. :laugh:

furious

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That makes no sense. A game out in the wild will always find more problems than any Q&A team. If anything, people are spoiled. What other loving companies release 5 patches for a game less than a month into it's life?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

That makes no sense. ... If anything, people are spoiled.

:pcgaming::krakken::pcgaming:
It makes perfect sense, when you think about it. :saddowns:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Finally dove in and started using boats.

Suspension of disbelief on the convenient directional winds aside (headcannon of a subtle constant Aard effect), the one thing that is really starting to grate on me is how Geralt turns from a guy with arms, legs, twisting body with inertia into literally part of the rudder during steering. There's no turning delay as he moves the rudder, no leaning, no reaction at all except LEFT! RIGHT! CENTER! There's a little of this with horseback riding, but its far less pronounced (when Roach isn't actively trying to glitch out and kill you, anyway).

Not a major issue, true, but to see this gorgeous game and to go from great animations to that is a bit jarring.

Edit: Also, gently caress that tavernkeeper in Oxenfurt and his bullshit 1 point gwent wins. But now I finally have my first hero card, AND Yen's a medic! :3:

Edit2: VV What are they going to do, hire someone to rough up/kill Geralt? Get in line, guys.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 3, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Did my game just bug out or is there seriously no consequence to not paying back the Vivaldi Bank? I mean the amount is super-insignificant so I assumed ignoring it would lead to some interesting but nope.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I didn't have any issues with movement or camera controls, but I played the whole game with KBAM. Because just like Witcher 2, the analog controls feel awful, just really jittery and inaccurate. It's like it locks into 8 directions or something, I can't stand it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

- Geralt's movement in relation to your directional input is vague at best. It seems to rely partially on the camera and partially on which enemy he's locked on to, and sometimes he just seems to slide left or right when you push forward

- Sort of related to the above point: This game doesn't have the same sort of "your attack will definitely hit a nearby enemy unless blocked" magnetism in something like Arkham or Mordor. That's fine in itself. Without it, however, and without a very high level of precision and control over your attacks and their ranges, combat winds up feeling sloppy

- Enemies frequently back off then run in circles, or get caught in geometry

- Geralt isn't technically in combat if he pulls his sword out, even if a distant enemy is plinking him with arrows

- Having the combat tied into optional items like potions/bombs/etc. is great, but the terrible inventory UI intrudes upon combat if you decide to use more than the two quick-slotted items in any given category. This is obviously a rare situation, but I think it inhibits experimentation rather than encouraging it

I'd agree with this list as "things we can generally agree are problems with the combat system" with the addition that soft lock-on makes you attack the wrong opponent too often. What do you mean by the camera being "unresponsive"? I don't necessarily like how the camera behaves, but I've never thought it didn't do what I tell it to do.

I don't agree about Geralt's movement in combat and I think your argument there is what's inconsistent and sloppy. What particularly don't you like about his movement? You can tiptoe, run, dodge, roll... okay you might prefer to have only fast/only slow movement, but why would that be better than having a wide range of options? Movement in combat is something I don't think the combat system gets wrong, in fact I like having such a mobile PC and NPCs because it makes for very fluid combat, but it doesn't play well with the soft-lock. Are you really unhappy about the movement or unhappy about the camera?

I think the attack animation thing is a deliberate choice. I guess I'd call the feeling of the combat "fast and loose" instead of "sloppy." You do have some control over what attack animation will play, because the attack animation that plays depends on your distance from the target when you press the attack button. Quick attacks up close are reliably very fast. But you don't have total control, yeah, and I think that's more a style choice. If you wanted to do it like Dark Demons' Bloods where you have a limited pallette of attack animations, you would have to change combat (to be more like Dark Souls) so that choosing these attacks made a difference. That would probably mean slowing down the pace substantially so that the player would have time to micromanage attack animations in a meaningful way. The way it is combat is very flashy and fluid, and controlling the flow of the fight through positioning, AoEs and stun/stagger effects is far more important to success or failure than technically excellent swordplay.

But generally I agree with your list. I think the camera and lock-on issues are the biggest complaint by far, and I see why some people don't like the attack animation thing but I don't see how you could keep the pace and style of the combat with a more tactically precise system, and the looseness of the sword animations on its own doesn't make the combat difficult.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Drifter posted:

It's hilarious, there's a patch release 'trust' poll on the CDPr forums about how everyone's loving PISSED they won't be releasing patch 1.05 today.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/45118-CDPR-trust-poll-do-you-believe-we-ll-have-the-patch-today

People are raging about how they'd rather have had CDPr delay the release of the game for another month or whatever, failing to see a distinction for them to just not play the game on their own for another few weeks while these patches get released. :laugh:

furious

Haha, the internet never fails to bring out all the people with the patience of two-year-olds.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm not really sure what people are raging about with the movement, and this is not me just going "you guys are wrong" in this one I'm really not sure what you're talking about. Sometimes I feel like the dead zone on the stick is a little too large, or sometimes Geralt will take a couple steps when I wanted him to take one. It can be annoying for looting stuff inside houses sometimes. Is this what people are angry about? I haven't mentioned this until now because I'm genuinely not sure whether the minor fine adjustment annoyances I've had are the same thing people are upset about.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Had to call in sick to work today, so finally got to play some more of this game, and what was waiting to cheer me up but a drunk witcher party. :allears: The only thing I didn't like was I sent Letho and Keira to Kaer Morhen ages ago and they weren't there.

Booya
Feb 17, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I'd agree with this list as "things we can generally agree are problems with the combat system" with the addition that soft lock-on makes you attack the wrong opponent too often. What do you mean by the camera being "unresponsive"? I don't necessarily like how the camera behaves, but I've never thought it didn't do what I tell it to do.

I don't agree about Geralt's movement in combat and I think your argument there is what's inconsistent and sloppy. What particularly don't you like about his movement? You can tiptoe, run, dodge, roll... okay you might prefer to have only fast/only slow movement, but why would that be better than having a wide range of options? Movement in combat is something I don't think the combat system gets wrong, in fact I like having such a mobile PC and NPCs because it makes for very fluid combat, but it doesn't play well with the soft-lock. Are you really unhappy about the movement or unhappy about the camera?

I think the attack animation thing is a deliberate choice. I guess I'd call the feeling of the combat "fast and loose" instead of "sloppy." You do have some control over what attack animation will play, because the attack animation that plays depends on your distance from the target when you press the attack button. Quick attacks up close are reliably very fast. But you don't have total control, yeah, and I think that's more a style choice. If you wanted to do it like Dark Demons' Bloods where you have a limited pallette of attack animations, you would have to change combat (to be more like Dark Souls) so that choosing these attacks made a difference. That would probably mean slowing down the pace substantially so that the player would have time to micromanage attack animations in a meaningful way. The way it is combat is very flashy and fluid, and controlling the flow of the fight through positioning, AoEs and stun/stagger effects is far more important to success or failure than technically excellent swordplay.

But generally I agree with your list. I think the camera and lock-on issues are the biggest complaint by far, and I see why some people don't like the attack animation thing but I don't see how you could keep the pace and style of the combat with a more tactically precise system, and the looseness of the sword animations on its own doesn't make the combat difficult.

It's not like there are no games that have fast paced, stylish combat where you actually feel like you control your character, though. Games like Revengeance and DMC 4 actually exist. In addition to all that guy's complaints, I'd like to add that there a shitload of copy paste enemies in the game. I think that every single draconid and vampire fights exactly the same, to name the worst examples.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Ice Fist posted:

Based on this thread, people who think the combat system is bad are a definitely a minority. People who think it is flawed (where flawed != bad) are extremely common though.

Well it's bad compared to any other aspect in the game, but acceptable considering this is an RPG and not an action game. If it was "bad" in absolute terms the game would be unplayable, thankfully that's not the case.

Spikeguy posted:

You know what I forgot about? The downgrade stuff. Is anyone still claiming this to be the case?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-19-cd-projekt-red-tackles-the-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

In the interview Badowski and Iwinski admit there wasn't just a downgrade: the entire rendering system was changed.

It gets worse: to the horror of the entire PC master race, they say one of the main reasons is "new gen" consoles and their poo poo grandma hardware. They also candidly say that without PS4/XboxOne sales in mind their budget couldn't possibly have covered a game as ambitious and as polished as Wild Hunt.
Only the dumbest goons in this thread ridiculed people noticing that The Witcher didn't look as good as in those 2013 videos, but considering how beautiful the game turned out to be anyway, and the fact that even today's best hardware won't give you 60 fps @1920x1080 with everything on Ultra and Hairworks enabled, the downgrade might have been necessary for Pc as well.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So, uh, are there different kinds of glyphs?
I got two stacks of lesser glyphs of igni, a single one and a stack of 12.

I just found an armorsmith selling the greater glyph of igni pattern, which requires 3 lesser glyphs. And sure enough, the crafting menu is showing I have 1/3 of the required lesser glyphs on me.

Is this a bug or working as intended?
Do only crafted glyphs work for upgrades, not looted ones?

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I bought formulas for enhanced Moon Dust and Northern Wind and I can't actually make them, they're not in my alchemy list. The druid ripped me off.

Moon Dust and Northern Wind are bugged.
You will need to craft upgrades from the base recipe up, without leaving the alchemy menu.
Once you create the first tier, the enhanced version will show up in the recipe list.
Close the tab and it will disappear again, showing only the first tier of the bomb recipes.

Same goes for superior bombs for those two. Make sure you have all the required ingredients on you and craft one tier after the other in one go.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 3, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there any point in the level suggestion for witcher gear treasure hunt quests? I've noticed any of the pieces so far that have been in areas in line with what the quest recommends.

Kawabata posted:

If it was "bad" in absolute terms the game would be unplayable, thankfully that's not the case.

Seriously. People need to realize this isn't what the likes of me are getting at when we say combat is janky, or some aspects of the game are undercooked. I dunno, maybe it's just so funny to me because all these rebuttals are coming from someone who poo poo himself over damage numbers.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there any point in the level suggestion for witcher gear treasure hunt quests? I've noticed any of the pieces so far that have been in areas in line with what the quest recommends.

It's about what kind of enemies guard it, not which level the diagram itself will be, I think.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I must be one of the lucky few chosen by CDPR to not be affected by this XP bug at all. Lol at that poll. People so buttmad over such silly things.

Fake Edit: Game is better than Bloodsouls hands down.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can anyone point me to the sewer entrance in Novigrad will all the cool poo poo? Like that one vampire guy. I can't find anything.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The people raging is mostly because last week they said "we have a XP bug hotfix ready but since the next patch is so close we'll just roll it into that patch" and then several days goes by and it becomes pretty clear that they should have just released the hotfix instead since that's the single thing most people care about getting fixed.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pretty much. Dismissing it as a "silly thing" is pretty stupid given how it can dramatically slow down character development if you're not pushing through the main quest - rewards from them are already low enough that stripping experience away completely, intentionally or not, is irritating as gently caress.

GrossMurpel posted:

It's about what kind of enemies guard it, not which level the diagram itself will be, I think.

Guess I've gotten lucky so far then. Level 4 pirates, a level 10 wyvern, etc etc. Think I'll make a run for the cat equipment sooner rather than later.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Considering the game, and most if not all of the quests can be beaten at level 20, it -is- a stupid complaint.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So now game bugs are being defended, lmfao. This thread. :allears:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

mcbexx posted:

So, uh, are there different kinds of glyphs?
I got two stacks of lesser glyphs of igni, a single one and a stack of 12.

I just found an armorsmith selling the greater glyph of igni pattern, which requires 3 lesser glyphs. And sure enough, the crafting menu is showing I have 1/3 of the required lesser glyphs on me.

Is this a bug or working as intended?
Do only crafted glyphs work for upgrades, not looted ones?

Yes, 2% and 5% are both called lesser glyphs, but only 2% glyphs are crafted from stuff and converted to 10% greater glyphs. Sell all your 5% glyphs.

Look like they tested the crafting poorly and missed really obvious bugs, the glyphs thing(probably meant to be 9*2%->3*5%->10%), chernobog runes that do nothing, bugged bomb upgrade recipes for moon dust and northern wind, 6 ekimmara hides needed by recipes vs 3 in game.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 3, 2015

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

So now game bugs are being defended, lmfao. This thread. :allears:

Nobody did that, saying it's not a big deal isn't the same as 'defending'

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

david... posted:

Nobody did that, saying it's not a big deal isn't the same as 'defending'

He called it a stupid complaint because the game can be beaten at level 20. Y'know, the open world game with content going up to level 35. Whether or not someone is "buttmad" about this you'd have to be willfully dense to not get why people find it annoying the hotfix was delayed.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Verranicus posted:

Considering the game, and most if not all of the quests can be beaten at level 20, it -is- a stupid complaint.

Yes, and you could probably beat the entire main story at level 9 if you were playing on the easiest difficulty. You don't NEED to level up at all to beat the game, but some people actually like leveling up and acquiring better gear/more skills as they level up.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Levelling systems aren't even important to a game like The Witchening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

poptart_fairy posted:

He called it a stupid complaint because the game can be beaten at level 20. Y'know, the open world game with content going up to level 35. Whether or not someone is "buttmad" about this you'd have to be willfully dense to not get why people find it annoying the hotfix was delayed.

I have armor patterns that require level 40 and up. :v:

Good thing I haven't gotten exp for a quest in well over 10 hours of gameplay. It's easy to remedy with Cheat Engine but it's still a pretty big oversight.