Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

2001 was a ridiculous year for video games.

Indeed it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Seeing Ace Combat 4 in a Toys R Us demo was a transformative experience.

As much as I like being informed about what's coming out, I do miss the days when you'd just randomly find out about some cool rear end game out of nowhere.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Phantasium posted:

As much as I like being informed about what's coming out, I do miss the days when you'd just randomly find out about some cool rear end game out of nowhere.

The indie explosion of the past five years or so has revived that. There's always some small game that catches fire that nobody sees coming.

And of course, there's no rule that says you have to pay attention to the endless stream of advertisements that start with an announcement and continue right through to a game's release.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Seeing Ace Combat 4 in a Toys R Us demo was a transformative experience.

Like Random Stranger said this is still happening, at least to me. I don't follow gaming sites or news really all that intensely so I always find new stuff to play. PC indie market especially. In the last year or so, I've picked up a huge number of games simply by word-of-mouth or some friend streaming them on Twitch. Rimworld, The Long Dark, Song of the Deep, Subnautica, Papers please...

Also in the last few years I've gone and discovered pretty much the entire library of Saturn and PC Engine games, not to mention a huge number of unknown NES/SNES/MD titles that just didn't make their way to Europe when I was a kid.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I keep on top of releases as much as I can but it's really easy for news about indies to get buried even if they're good, the "politics" behind exposure to the masses can be pretty weird, and even a "slow" week likely has dozens of releases if you count all consoles and Steam, and you're not going to be aware of it all unless that's somehow your paid job.

Also especially, if you sign up for subscription services like Humble Monthly and PS+ you're bound to end up with a few surprises in there.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah I know, but I mean just like in kiosks or whatever from major publishers. There are too many games to ever say you're familiar with everything.

Like I found out about Parasite Eve when I saw someone playing it in a local game shop and went "what the hell is that?".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phantasium posted:

Yeah I know, but I mean just like in kiosks or whatever from major publishers. There are too many games to ever say you're familiar with everything.

Like I found out about Parasite Eve when I saw someone playing it in a local game shop and went "what the hell is that?".

My first exposure to DOOM was it running on a store kiosk with an Aliens mod. :allears:

I guess now the equivalent is following certain Twitch/YouTube channels and seeing what they stumble into.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Monopthalmus posted:

Since we're on the topic of Dreamcast, is anyone using one in 480p on a PVM or other 31khz monitor? There are so many options I am confused. Ideally I'm looking for a way to hook it up via component so that I can have it on a switch with my other 480p consoles. Is that the right way to go about it or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Many PVMs don't do progressive scanning at all, you're only going to watch 480i if you're going for 480. The later models of PVMs do support progressive scanning at full resolution but tend to cost a bit more and be harder to find.

If you want 480p out of a Dreamcast, get a standard VGA computer monitor.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

The only thing I have with a VGA port is a widescreen PC monitor...but I have a Trinitron and an HDTV. What can I do for that delicious 480p, aside from finding some old 4:3 monitor?

You can just use that monitor you have, it should display 4:3 in the middle of it.

Also, there are a few games like Rayman which can do anamorphic widescreen (just like a DVD) on the VGA output (well, and also all the other outputs, but it looks much nicer via VGA), so if your monitor allows for stretching the picture the game will output a picture suitable for 16:9 display. There's also a bunch more games where, while using a cheat device, you can force the game to output in an anamorphic mode: http://segaretro.org/List_of_Dreamcast_widescreen_codes

The level of real widescreen support this gives you varies - often the UI will remain noticeably stretched while the actual game world is in a correct ratio - but it's very nice for a decent amount of games.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Nonviolent J posted:

Not selling my wii u has been the greatest decision I've ever made, emulators on the gamepad is amazing

What are sone hidden gems for mastersystem/nes/genesis/snes/gb/gba

If you play roms from a modded wii u, are they like the virtual console releases in that they are:

1. Way too dark

2. Super blurry

?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

worthless. posted:

If you play roms from a modded wii u, are they like the virtual console releases in that they are:

1. Way too dark

2. Super blurry

?

The homebrew emulators don't have Nintendo's ludicrous color/brightness issues.

They still might look blurry to you on the tablet controller thing depending on the way the scaling in each emulator program works - not really a problem in the TV output though.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
I just came to share my shame/triumph because I purchased a Framemeister and now I've got an even more raging NES/SNES b***r and my next move is to get an NESRGB mod. Sup y'all

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

END ME SCOOB posted:

Even if Armored Core 2 isn't your jam, you're just gonna poo poo on Gradius III & IV like that? drat, man.

Zaphod42 posted:

Plus yeah Armored Core 2 was the reason I got a PS2 and that poo poo ruled so hard.

Got a PS2 blind just for Armored Core 2 after Armored Core 1 and Warhawk demos being why I got a PS1. Can confirm, Armored Core 2 alone justified getting a PS2 and Ace Combat 04 coming out the year after just sealed the deal. Armored Core 2 linking so heavily into the plot of Armored Core 1 made it just that much better for me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

fishmech posted:

Many PVMs don't do progressive scanning at all, you're only going to watch 480i if you're going for 480. The later models of PVMs do support progressive scanning at full resolution but tend to cost a bit more and be harder to find.

If you want 480p out of a Dreamcast, get a standard VGA computer monitor.

You can just use that monitor you have, it should display 4:3 in the middle of it.

Also, there are a few games like Rayman which can do anamorphic widescreen (just like a DVD) on the VGA output (well, and also all the other outputs, but it looks much nicer via VGA), so if your monitor allows for stretching the picture the game will output a picture suitable for 16:9 display. There's also a bunch more games where, while using a cheat device, you can force the game to output in an anamorphic mode: http://segaretro.org/List_of_Dreamcast_widescreen_codes

The level of real widescreen support this gives you varies - often the UI will remain noticeably stretched while the actual game world is in a correct ratio - but it's very nice for a decent amount of games.

If you read after that post, he mentions he has a 20L5.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

schranz kafka posted:

I just came to share my shame/triumph because I purchased a Framemeister and now I've got an even more raging NES/SNES b***r and my next move is to get an NESRGB mod. Sup y'all

just say boner for gently caress's sake

what are we, 12?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

what are we, 12?

What, you don't get a mad b**** when you talk about R*B **S?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

gently caress

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

worthless. posted:

My R&B LPs are pretty boner-worthy, but the 7"s and 10"s are where the best stuff is.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Allen Wren posted:

what are we, 12?

you are definitely 12, and a virgin. i was just trying to be polite you loving nerd

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

wow

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

worthless. posted:

I do get a mad blood when I talk about ROB NES

Because I didn't buy the huge stock of those robots at a going out of business Woolworth's 20 years ago for $10 each.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

schranz kafka posted:

you are definitely 12, and a virgin. i was just trying to be polite you loving nerd

:allears:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

what are we, 12?

We're posting in a thread about all the things we were playing and enjoying when we were 12, so we're all at least 12 at heart.

Heh. Boner.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Heh. Boner.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

univbee posted:

We're posting in a thread about all the things we were playing and enjoying when we were 12, so we're all at least 12 at heart.

the peak era for some boners, my dude

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

schranz kafka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pmGMp46XsY

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I bought a dreamcast, 2 controllers, and a VMU today and the most exciting thing about it for me is that when I get home I get to see what stupid games the former owner of the VMU had and judge them.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Nonviolent J posted:

What are sone hidden gems for mastersystem/nes/genesis/snes/gb/gba

Golden Axe Warrior/Vice Project Doom/Slap Fight Special/The King of Dragons/Catrap/Sigma Star Saga

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
if some dude came over to my house and was talking about his boner near my PVM and turbo duo there's a fair likelihood of me kicking his boner out the door

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

schranz kafka posted:

the peak era for some boners, my dude

gross

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Guys please stop saying *o***

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

worthless. posted:

Guys please stop saying *o***

you can pry my boner out of my cold dead hands

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
is it okay to say it if i am playing Mr. Bones

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Charles Get-Out posted:

you can pry my boner out of my cold dead hands

Cripes. What the h*ck

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've got a boner like a N64 analog stick: wobbly, broken, and leaking suspicious dust.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Thanks the dick talk everyone, this should get me through the weekend. :fap:

I bought grapeshot's Commodore 64c, kicking off my spiral into retro computing. Thanks for enabling me everyone :cheers:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Random Stranger posted:

I've got a boner like a N64 analog stick: wobbly, broken, and leaking suspicious dust.

Blisters your palm if you don't wear a glove?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My only boner was paying $70 for Quest 64 brand new.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GutBomb posted:

I bought a dreamcast, 2 controllers, and a VMU today and the most exciting thing about it for me is that when I get home I get to see what stupid games the former owner of the VMU had and judge them.

I'm disappointed. He had good games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I'm disappointed. He had good games.

Well of course, they were Dreamcast games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I remember getting legit mad after seeing this available on a store shelf, looking at it like "It's a low-rent King's Bounty recycle with polygons and loading times in a cheap cash grab."

Then I played it a few months back.

Assumptions confirmed.

• Locked thread