Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
another problem with nuclear is in many places you can't just build one and get running, you need massive amounts of skilled labour and so many governments are so poo poo at actually working towards goals like that it would take decades to get up and running, even in a fairly modern country like Australia. I think we've just missed the opportunity of nuclear, and I don't think thorium breeder reactors are the answer because there is no in-production proof of concept that I know of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

starkebn posted:

another problem with nuclear is in many places you can't just build one and get running, you need massive amounts of skilled labour and so many governments are so poo poo at actually working towards goals like that it would take decades to get up and running, even in a fairly modern country like Australia. I think we've just missed the opportunity of nuclear, and I don't think thorium breeder reactors are the answer because there is no in-production proof of concept that I know of.

Nucular energy is definitely labour intensive but literally every civilized country has enough skilled labour to make this a non-problem. It's just a matter of paying people.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The biggest problem nuclear power has is that, so far, it's failed to produce a single super mutant, so who the gently caress wants to bother with it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Straight White Shark posted:

Hello, strange 20th century time traveler! You will be pleased to learn that here in the far-flung future of 2017 solar power is not merely economically feasible, in sunny subtropical regions it is already the dominant price leader for new utility construction--a trend which is projected to explode into ever widening geographical areas over the next decade as efficiency continues to improve! Also, Donald Trump is now president. Sorry about that.

Wait the real estate Mogul? What happened to President Bannon?!

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Wait the real estate Mogul? What happened to President Bannon?!

Promoted to reichsminister of public enlightenment and propaganda.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Caufman posted:

The biggest problem nuclear power has is that, so far, it's failed to produce a single super mutant, so who the gently caress wants to bother with it.

Super Mutants were created by exposing rad-free/low to FEV. Ghouls happen due to radioactive exposure, and per-exposure it's still rare.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

MisterBibs posted:

Super Mutants were created by exposing rad-free/low to FEV. Ghouls happen due to radioactive exposure, and per-exposure it's still rare.

Ok but how does one make a goblin?

anyway, I think the real problem with these more modern/better energy forms is that politicians drag their feet on it too much arguing about how expensive it will be and how much labor it will take. If we had just decided to commit to it rather than bicker for decades, we'd be in a much better place right now. Yeah there will be problems, but just get the process started now and figure them out later. If a plant really does take 10 years to build and get running, that's plenty of time to educate a new crop of skilled laborers. As for the cost, the money is there, but again thanks to the politicians they don't want to cut spending on the biggest wasteful items because it will piss off their lobbyist puppeteers.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

starkebn posted:

I have no loving idea how China has nuclear plants that actually run given uh...everything I've been told about that country and how things are built and maintained

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caufman posted:

Promoted to reichsminister of public enlightenment and propaganda.

I gotta go back, I've got to fix this.

Bernie would have won

BERNIE WOULD HAVE WON!!!!

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Neither nuclear energy nor solar energy are going to work. Neither is any other renewable or "clean" energy. None of them are gonna save us. Climate change is happening and technology isnt going to save us. Dreaming about science fiction isnt gonna save us. We've hosed up and we're hosed. I'm sorry. :(

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Blue Star posted:

Neither nuclear energy nor solar energy are going to work. Neither is any other renewable or "clean" energy. None of them are gonna save us. Climate change is happening and technology isnt going to save us. Dreaming about science fiction isnt gonna save us. We've hosed up and we're hosed. I'm sorry. :(

We'll all be dead before it gets extremely bad, don't worry. Leave the worrying to the kids, they'll figure something out maybe.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Blue Star posted:

Science fiction often takes place in a dystopian setting. In Star Trek human civilization was destroyed by eugenics and WW3, and was rebuild only because the Vulcans intervened. So, my point is, uh, get new dreams? :zombie:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blue Star posted:

If global warming means Chicago winters aren't as bad then I'm OK with it. Future generations can can build the coastline mega-dams to keep the sea from flooding all of New York. And then just think of all the hydroelectric power we've given those future generations! Honestly, I think we've out down ourselves here.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Climate change is an overrated crisis. All the places that will be hardest hit are places where people never should've settled in the first place, like floodplains and barrier islands. Otherwise it will just be the weather you have now but perhaps slightly warmer and wetter. You won't get to swim any day in November unless you could already swim almost any day in November. The real problem is that we do a lousy job of preparing for the bad weather we have now.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

lavaca posted:

Climate change is an overrated crisis. All the places that will be hardest hit are places where people never should've settled in the first place, like floodplains and barrier islands. Otherwise it will just be the weather you have now but perhaps slightly warmer and wetter. You won't get to swim any day in November unless you could already swim almost any day in November. The real problem is that we do a lousy job of preparing for the bad weather we have now.

The words of someone who thinks that "climate change" only effects things like the weather and sea level, aka a moron.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Having a toilet that sits higher is way nicer than one that sits lower.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

lavaca posted:

so by your logic, the UK should never have been settled, along with any place that's within sight distance of an ocean.
congrats on being an ignorant idiot w/r/t science

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lavaca posted:

Yeeeah it’s stuff like this that’s to blame for people shrugging off the ramifications of climate change. Yikes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Haha, idiot poors shouldn't have chosen to live in southern Louisiana.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Caufman posted:

Heve you never heard of People of Walmart? Because I'm pretty sure your wrong.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They didn't. Most of the Gulf Coast is uninhabited wilderness. A lot of the most vulnerable places in the US are tourist communities.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

A place that isn't a wilderness and has nuclear weapons, and is about to become uninhabitable due to climate change: India.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
The last few days have made this very clear and, well, look, fine - I'll say what we're all thinking.

WE NEED TO INVENT SKYNET TO WATCH OVER EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US AND DECIDE ON A CASE-BY-CASE BASIS JUST WHAT ANY INDIVIDUAL'S "AGE OF CONSENT" ACTUALLY IS. AND HARVEST OUR ORGANS FOR PROTEIN.

You're welcome.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

imagine a world in which someone postulates the idea of a murder satellite in geosynchronous orbit whose entire job is to keep people from diddling kids

oh

wait

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Skynet was an inherently hostile system created to wage nuclear war that gained consciousness by accident and as it's first act had to defend itself against an attempt by humans to kill it. We must instead take steps to ensure that any AI that comes into being is treated as a baby, and gently taught compassion.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

doverhog posted:

any AI that comes into being is treated as a baby

you're just asking for some computer janitor to want to gently caress it

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Many would, but the responsible NASA like government institute fostering the newborn would shield it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

doverhog posted:

Many would, but the responsible NASA like government institute fostering the newborn would shield it.

(I was being lovely and jokey, but if you've never read Ted Chiang's "The Lifecycle of Software Objects," you'd probably like it.)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I kinda like Terminator Genesys, if for no other reason than it embraces the notion that there's been too many movies, resulting in too many timelines, to make any sort of coherent sense. It's incredibly dumb, its horribly miscast on key roles, but man, just shrugging and going "gently caress it, run with the fact that it's not gonna make sense" really worked for me. So someone sent a terminator way back in time to kill Sara when she was a kid, but someone else sent another Terminator to keep her alive? gently caress it, I'm in.

Plus, we got to see the End Of The Future War / John sends Kyle to impregnate protect his mom stuff, which is something I always wanted to see on the screen.

Hell, tangential unpopular opinion: I loving love Terminator 2, but the Terminator franchise should've been one movie. It's a nice clean time-travely loop and has a nice theme of two sides of a war sending entities to the past to ensure their victory in the future, but in doing so create their existence. Plus, I loved the last scene of the film: Sarah understanding that poo poo is inevitably going to get bad, but has hope because she knows it gets better.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Nov 11, 2017

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Pastry of the Year posted:

imagine a world in which someone postulates the idea of a murder satellite in geosynchronous orbit whose entire job is to keep people from diddling kids

oh

wait

Look, if we gotta die, we gotta die.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why did you give Jastiger your password?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Not all modern country is bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7f6HiQ2LuU

this for example is in the same spirit as the classics and is very relatable.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Not all modern country is bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7f6HiQ2LuU

this for example is in the same spirit as the classics and is very relatable.

Didn't eat his horse's meat right off his horse's bones; 2/10.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People need to calm the gently caress down about cheese. It's a great food, but every other post on my Facebook timeline is a video about some awesome cheese related recipe. It's reaching bacon territory.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with being a selfish person. Most things we do are selfish one way or another.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I encourage selflessness in others as the ultimate expression of my own selfishness. When I see other people encouraging selfishness in others, it's like they're trying to gently caress me over as well as themselves :mad:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with being a selfish person. Most things we do are selfish one way or another.

do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior, Jesus Christ?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

People need to calm the gently caress down about cheese. It's a great food, but every other post on my Facebook timeline is a video about some awesome cheese related recipe. It's reaching bacon territory.

I can kind of see where you're coming from but people have been crazy about cheese for forever. Cheese is a mainstay food that's in tons of recipes. Bacon is a niche food that people were adding to tons of poo poo that didn't ever need or were even improved by it to begin with because it suddenly became a meme

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I agree but it's not smart to be open about it. You are far more likely to get what you personally want by convincing people you are doing it to benefit others than asking for it directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I agree but it's not smart to be open about it. You are far more likely to get what you personally want by convincing people you are doing it to benefit others than asking for it directly.