Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
lol

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/885554774170619904

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Chandra is a relatively common surname in India. I don't know if it's more common as a first name for men or women, but there are definitely a lot of people with Chandra as a last name.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Red decks that aren't Abrade are doing it wrong.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
My in-laws have a family friend who named his kid Drizzt. Most Magic names would probably be a step up from that.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Is the joke here that HOU shouldn't have been legal, or that it's a very low percentage of HOU cards? I don't know how MTGO works*.

*insert joke that writes itself here

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

My in-laws have a family friend who named his kid Drizzt. Most Magic names would probably be a step up from that.

I know a kid named Belgarion after the main character in the Eddings novels.

Nerds shouldn't be allowed to name children.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
about the only one of the 5 watch members with a really obvious fantasy name is Nissa, the other 4 are like, actual names (tho Jace is close to the line i think)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
There was a kid who started playing Magic at my LGS because his name was Jace and his friends told him he should play because he had the same name as one of the main characters. He was too old to have been named after the card.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The only other person named Jace I've ever heard of was some poor child on Teen Mom. Probably less of a wanker than M:tG Jace, even still.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

BJPaskoff posted:

Is the joke here that HOU shouldn't have been legal, or that it's a very low percentage of HOU cards? I don't know how MTGO works*.

*insert joke that writes itself here

pee pee

doo doo

it is a bad set

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThePeavstenator posted:

pee pee

doo doo

it is a bad set

The Hour of Promise ramp decks are the real deal. The card is stupid powerful.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
In a format with over 2000 cards and a set that makes up about 10% of that pool, how many cards do you think should be played 48 hours into pre-release and several days before the set is actually released. People were saying the same things about Amonkhet the week it released and those cards seem to be in a decent amount of standard and even the modern decks that I saw in the last GP.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

The Hour of Promise ramp decks are the real deal. The card is stupid powerful.

it's a politoons meme

HoD looks bad for limited but not the absolute worst for constructed.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

about the only one of the 5 watch members with a really obvious fantasy name is Nissa, the other 4 are like, actual names (tho Jace is close to the line i think)

I don't think there's been a single Gideon in 1000 years

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

There's a Gideon in a Greek pro wrestling promotion actually, his gimmick is that he's an accountant.

No idea if that's his real name, but I doubt he got it from Magic so there's that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

i envy you not hanging out with white people

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

I've gone to school with 3 separate people named Gideon.

Hell, Gideon is even the name of the ultimate bad guy in Scott Pilgrim.

Gideon is a common rear end name.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Not sure any new set is going to significantly upset the standard meta as long as Kaladesh is in. Not sure any set should.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Gideon is a biblical name with less than 4 syllables so loving lol at the idea of it not being around anymore

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

it's a politoons meme

HoD looks bad for limited but not the absolute worst for constructed.

It's the best standard legal sweeper.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l0jGq3IGmo

Saffron Olive does really well with a Solemnity deck, using FInks and Geralf's Messenger, some sac outlets and Phyrexian Unlife for the hard lock. Ends up beating some good decks including Affinity, couple of eldrazi decks and some other stuff (Get's hosed bad by tron tho).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AceClown posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l0jGq3IGmo

Saffron Olive does really well with a Solemnity deck, using FInks and Geralf's Messenger, some sac outlets and Phyrexian Unlife for the hard lock. Ends up beating some good decks including Affinity, couple of eldrazi decks and some other stuff (Get's hosed bad by tron tho).

Geralf's messenger seems like a bad card even in a gimmicky combo deck. I feel like solemnity will be a pretty casual deck in modern. Too bad the enchantment deck is like a million dollars to put together these days.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

It's the best standard legal sweeper.

yes but I am talking about the set not the card

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Geralf's messenger seems like a bad card even in a gimmicky combo deck. I feel like solemnity will be a pretty casual deck in modern. Too bad the enchantment deck is like a million dollars to put together these days.

There's an Enchantment deck in Modern? I though Enduring Ideal was pretty niche, and I can't think of another deck that runs a bunch of enchantments. Or do you mean Legacy?

I put together that Enchantress prison deck for Modern but am scared to actually take it out and realize that it sucks.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GeneX posted:

Gideon is a biblical name with less than 4 syllables so loving lol at the idea of it not being around anymore

Those old men in suits handing out pocket-sized copies of the New Testament and the people that put Bibles in the drawer of motel rooms? They're called Gideons International (or just Gideons).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

C-Euro posted:

There's an Enchantment deck in Modern? I though Enduring Ideal was pretty niche, and I can't think of another deck that runs a bunch of enchantments. Or do you mean Legacy?

I put together that Enchantress prison deck for Modern but am scared to actually take it out and realize that it sucks.

Enduring Ideal is the deck that I was talking about and basically sums up "casual" in every way. The main issue is runed halo and Greater Auramancy are printed in shadowmoor at rare. They are now almost 20 a piece for each card. There is also a lot of random stuff you can put in it that are much more expensive than it should be because of edh.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There was a guy at my LGS named John Conner who got really tired of all the jokes while Alara Reborn was in Standard.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Entropic posted:

There was a guy at my LGS named John Conner who got really tired of all the jokes while Alara Reborn was in Standard.

That guy must really hate Modern.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Madmarker posted:

I've gone to school with 3 separate people named Gideon.

Hell, Gideon is even the name of the ultimate bad guy in Scott Pilgrim.

Gideon is a common rear end name.

I knew there was a Biblical Gideon, but I've never met any and can't recall any in history since offhand; shows you what I know, I guess

C-Euro posted:

Legacy Enchantress owns, unfortunately it's very bad. Or at least, it wasn't before the Top banning and I can't imagine that moved the needle very much

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Elyv posted:

I have a cousin who named one of her sons Gideon. From that side of the family, I can confirm that is a biblical name, and can confirm that's one of the big reasons she picked that name.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Apparently there's a Final Fantasy tcg now? It's a real bummer they couldn't' be bothered to make new art for it. I'm probably not the target audience, but it just seems so incredibly lazy to just be re-using the same assets from 97'.

Even from a branding perspective, it makes all these really jarring- as most of the illustrations weren't meant to fill that space. 'oh this doesn't fit? uhhh duplicate it and set it half the opacity cool good job.' Some of em' are literally just screenshots from the cut scenes.

https://fftcg.cdn.sqexeu.com/files/downloadables/fftcg-opus1.pdf

Which is all to say, man it's great Magic still hires professional artists, even if some of them are annoyingly CGI-y.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 13, 2017

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Where's the insect EDH deck

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

EatinCake posted:

Apparently there's a Final Fantasy tcg now? It's a real bummer they couldn't' be bothered to make new art for it. I'm probably not the target audience, but it just seems so incredibly lazy to just be re-using the same assets from 97'.

Even from a branding perspective, it makes all these really jarring- as most of the illustrations weren't meant to fill that space. 'oh this doesn't fit? uhhh duplicate it and set it half the opacity cool good job.' Some of em' are literally just screenshots from the cut scenes.

Which is all to say, man it's great Magic still hires professional artists, even if some of them are annoyingly CGI-y.

TG Cid should inherently have haste and his card doesn't just win you the game.

Seems like this game is trash.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

EatinCake posted:

there is an inexplicably large final fantasy tcg scene here in las vegas across multiple LGSs

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

C-Euro posted:

The Solemnity Deck is pretty interesting but you could play Ad Nauseum for wayyyyy cheaper and for more consistency, but I do like what the deck accomplishes as a "jank" brew.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Elyv posted:

I've played magic with a Gideon, he's about 20 now. Nice guy, actually.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

gif Probst posted:

there is an inexplicably large final fantasy tcg scene here in las vegas across multiple LGSs

Maybe the game is at least fun? Surely the cards can't actually have any value- the lack of effort is so blatant.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Cactrot posted:

TG Cid should inherently have haste and his card doesn't just win you the game.

Seems like this game is trash.

It's already a dead game, or at best on life support. Its gimmicks include discarding for mana, no floating mana, and (if you squint) a vaguely similar system to Vanguard's triggers. The art is lazy and it's a blatant cash grab because it was already a Japan-only game several years ago and SE decided to reboot it in other markets.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

It's already a dead game, or at best on life support. Its gimmicks include discarding for mana, no floating mana, and (if you squint) a vaguely similar system to Vanguard's triggers. The art is lazy and it's a blatant cash grab because it was already a Japan-only game several years ago and SE decided to reboot it in other markets.

Adding on this, the game had severe product shortages for months. The only game with worse shortages was Star Wars Destiny. Final Fantasy is basically Magic's combat phase with a bad resource system attached, and the only reason it's still alive is that fans of Japanese TCG imports will gobble up anything from Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is Force of Will still a thing? Before I moved, the LGS I frequented had a surprisingly big group who played it.