Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mayveena posted:

My podcast session with Games on the Brain is up. Review of Tekenhu and discussion of what ever happened to actual PvP in board games.

I'm excited to listen, given what I've seen of tekenhu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I am so mad about 5D chess because it completely scoops the theme of a multiversal chess card game I was working on, and now it'll need a retheme to avoid comparison with THE ACTUAL THING.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pvt. Parts posted:

Can't wait to learn this and insist to everyone that it's the best iteration of Chess. Step aside, Fischer random. Step aside, Chess 2 .

Serious chess talk, I don't think anything can top the energy of Bughouse. Even without a clock (and it usually uses a very tight clock), being able to feed pieces to your partner gives an innate advantage to playing faster and maybe making bad decisions for the sake of a capture. It's a hoot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Serious chess talk, I don't think anything can top the energy of Bughouse. Even without a clock (and it usually uses a very tight clock), being able to feed pieces to your partner gives an innate advantage to playing faster and maybe making bad decisions for the sake of a capture. It's a hoot.

It's true.

Gutter Owl posted:

I am so mad about 5D chess because it completely scoops the theme of a multiversal chess card game I was working on, and now it'll need a retheme to avoid comparison with THE ACTUAL THING.

I was kinda wondering about that. That sucks!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey so I need bright ideas and for some reason I'm asking goons. Outside of my brother and the occasional online game pretty much all my boardgaming is done through a group at university, specifically a church group for grad students/alumni where there's usually a monthly board game night. Obviously, there's a whole pandemic happening, and I can't think of a way to make a face to face boardgame night safe (admittedly there's usually only like 6-8 people max but still not convinced that you can reasonably limit transmission.) So it comes to online gaming, but there's a problem there- the group is widely divided in how into gaming we are- there's like 3 of us that are hardcore and most other people are generally OK with medium weight stuff but aren't really up to date with gaming. On top of that it's nice to generally have people drop in and out of stuff. Also to be frank there's a few people who are just into party games/icebreakers. So with those constraints, I'm not sure on how to organize stuff. Most online board game stuff either costs money, isn't immediately intuitive, or both; and I think we'd probably have to select from a few options ahead of time, especially if it involves downloading modules. The one time we tried doing it over video chat we just played Dominion online, but I don't wanna just do that forever. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to get something like this going?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mayveena posted:

My podcast session with Games on the Brain is up. Review of Tekenhu and discussion of what ever happened to actual PvP in board games.

Just in time for my commute to the middle of nowhere!

Edit: looking forward to listening.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 28, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

StashAugustine posted:

Hey so I need bright ideas and for some reason I'm asking goons. Outside of my brother and the occasional online game pretty much all my boardgaming is done through a group at university, specifically a church group for grad students/alumni where there's usually a monthly board game night. Obviously, there's a whole pandemic happening, and I can't think of a way to make a face to face boardgame night safe (admittedly there's usually only like 6-8 people max but still not convinced that you can reasonably limit transmission.) So it comes to online gaming, but there's a problem there- the group is widely divided in how into gaming we are- there's like 3 of us that are hardcore and most other people are generally OK with medium weight stuff but aren't really up to date with gaming. On top of that it's nice to generally have people drop in and out of stuff. Also to be frank there's a few people who are just into party games/icebreakers. So with those constraints, I'm not sure on how to organize stuff. Most online board game stuff either costs money, isn't immediately intuitive, or both; and I think we'd probably have to select from a few options ahead of time, especially if it involves downloading modules. The one time we tried doing it over video chat we just played Dominion online, but I don't wanna just do that forever. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to get something like this going?

Boardgamearena.com is a great way to play if it has any games your group likes. None of the Tabletop Simulator fuss with interface, it's free, in browser, and everything is fully scripted.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bottom Liner posted:

Boardgamearena.com is a great way to play if it has any games your group likes. None of the Tabletop Simulator fuss with interface, it's free, in browser, and everything is fully scripted.

Cool that looks good. Any suggestions on good stuff there, especially for a more introductory group? I'm more of a wargamer so TTA, Eminent Domain, and 7 Wonders were the only things that jumped out at me.

(Also isn't dungeon petz online? I know its a bit heavier but I've been wanting to try it)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Dungeon petz is on boite a jeaux

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Good stuff on BGA:

party/light games:

Sushi Go
Kingdomino
Carcassonne
Hanabi
For Sale

medium weight

Terra Mystica
Roll/Race for the Galaxy
Clans of Caledonia
Tzolk'in
Keyflower
Troyes
Tash-Kalar

Some more good stuff is in beta but I haven't tried any of that.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Teotihuacan is in BGA too, and that game REALLY benefits from being rules scripted :radcat:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Artscow has a %25 off + free shipping coupon going on right now (MIDYRSALE), so it's a good time to pick up custom game bags! They do occasionally have ridiculous sales like 10 for $20, but those only happen every couple of years and $6 each w/free shipping isn't bad.

E: Removed links to specific bags. It's easy to put together your own!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 28, 2020

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Stickman posted:

Artscow has a %25 off + free shipping coupon going on right now (MIDYRSALE), so it's a good time to pick up custom game bags! They do occasionally have ridiculous sales like 10 for $20, but those only happen every couple of years and $6 each w/free shipping isn't bad.

BGG has a giant list of bag designs

Also a couple of bags I threw together:
Hey, That's My Fish!

Thunderbolt Apache Leader target bag, heavy damage bag, and light damage bag

Phantom Leader and Hornet Leader

Compounded element bag

Not to be a downer, but.... what's the copyright situation on this? I've never heard of this company before.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Artscow? They're pretty legit. Besides, it's not like you're printing stuff to sell, you're ordering for personal use.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Reposting that in the General Games chat, because those are dope gift ideas.

King of Dragon Pass bag :ninja:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 28, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Artscow? They're pretty legit. Besides, it's not like you're printing stuff to sell, you're ordering for personal use.

By legit you mean wild copyright violations right?

They put it back onto you, that you are liable for any copyright violations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Aramoro posted:

By legit you mean wild copyright violations right?

They put it back onto you, that you are liable for any copyright violations.

Exactly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Question for Keyflower: if player A uses red to bid on a tile, player B uses rainbow boat to bid with blue, and player A moves the red meeple away, do others (player C or D) have to bid blue or red? Similarly, if B gets outbid with more red, and B decides to move blue away, can they be used elsewhere as a rainbow or can they only bid against red meeples in a different hex?

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Question for Keyflower: if player A uses red to bid on a tile, player B uses rainbow boat to bid with blue, and player A moves the red meeple away, do others (player C or D) have to bid blue or red?
It's now a blue tile for purposes of bidding and using, UNLESS someone used a red meeple to activate the tile, in which case it remains a red tile. It says as much in the rulebook.

To track it, the blue workers should be laid horizontally, and then stood up vertically at the moment that all other meeples have vacated the tile.

quote:

Similarly, if B gets outbid with more red, and B decides to move blue away, can they be used elsewhere as a rainbow or can they only bid against red meeples in a different hex?
As far as I know, they can be used as rainbow to counter-bid elsewhere. I don't think its explicitly stated so in the rulebook, but there is nothing that leads me to believe otherwise.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Not to be a downer, but.... what's the copyright situation on this? I've never heard of this company before.

No you're right, it's all technically copyright violations since "fair use" doesn't actually cover printing novel products for personal use (heck, sharing photos of a board game box without permission is technically a copyright violation, as are shared photoshopped ). I don't personally worry about it when it's for personal use and it's not copying a product that's otherwise available (and I've never heard of anyone going after Artscow bag prints), but I'd understand if other people aren't comfortable with that and I've removed the specific bag links.

Artscow is a legitimate site in the sense that they deliver the goods that they offer and their prints are high quality. It's pretty easy to put together your own bags, and if you're artistic or connected you could stick to copyrights you have permission to use. Items you put together isn't automatically shared - no one else has access to your designs unless you explicitly share the link.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 28, 2020

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

StashAugustine posted:

Cool that looks good. Any suggestions on good stuff there, especially for a more introductory group? I'm more of a wargamer so TTA, Eminent Domain, and 7 Wonders were the only things that jumped out at me.

(Also isn't dungeon petz online? I know its a bit heavier but I've been wanting to try it)

Seconding bga, also there's an official codenames site now too. We've also starting to use yucata for some golden oldies like el grande, but with the caveat it looks and feels like 1993. Don't forget to push "finish turn".

For meeting together, we use discord. There's different voice chat rooms; one named "standing around" the rest named after the tables in the place we used to show up to ("big wooden table", "slightly sticky", "sad corner table"). We talk in standing around and decide on games, then peel off once we decide what to play.

Video is a waste since you'll be looking at the game the whole time. With voice though you can still table talk, crack jokes, laugh at the jokes, etc. and it still feels like a social experience.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I'm so jealous of other's ability to get people to play poo poo online. I've got 4-5 maybe people of a gaming group normally containing 20ish people, and really only one guy who is always game.

Been playing lots of Lost Cities on BGA tho. That game owns.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
On a similar note I am glad that I really enjoy 2 player RftG because I have played a gently caress ton of it recently, thanks BGA

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

!Klams posted:

Help me? My friends that we played Gloomhaven with have bought clank legacy, and they and my wife are REALLY into it, and think it's much better than boring old Gloomhaven. And like, fine, people like different things, they're having fun, not gonna poo poo in their cornflakes. But it keeps doing things that make me wince. The latest one (kept vague to avoid spoilers) was one of the players (chosen as: the one that was doing the best) got to make a choice of upgrades. One of the upgrades was: when you buy (a thing you can only really buy if you're already doing well), also get another bonus.

And that's it. "Make the game more snowbally". Two of the others did similar.

I mean the whole game is basically someone randomly becoming a runaway leader and then getting to do the legacy stuff and winning the game. Were only three rounds in, so maybe it changes (it definitely doesn't) but so far, every game has played out the same with one player doing the fun poo poo and everyone else looking for unimportant scraps. The fact that as randomly as you can become the "all the fun game winner", you can also die and become the "not playing the game player" is just.... Eurgh.

All the reviews on BGG are hyper glowing, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills? I'm totally fine to just chill out and watch it play out, I'm not at all competitive, and the writing is mostly fun, there's a lot to enjoy. I just feel like I'm going a bit mad, isn't it OBVIOUSLY bad gameplay? Even just things like, after each round, you all get to make fairly arbitrary choices, but the choices are exhaustive. Why does the winning player go first? It would have been such an easy concession?

Some people like having fairly random gameplay. Everyone says they want a really skill based game where the best player has a clear advantage. But as the rush for market row deckbuilders after Dominion showed, there's a huge market for massive RNG. Even after all these years, pure market row deckbuilders can still be divided into two catagories: Valley of the Kings and random fun cheese.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember a talk where the presenter was explaining the difference between what people actually want versus what they say they want (or think they want).

His wrap up was "if I polled everyone in this room about what they like for coffee, about 80% of you would say you want 'a full-bodied, dark roast'. But if I served you all a full-bodied, dark roast roughly only 15% of you would like it. The rest of you? You say full-bodied dark, but actually want it weak and milky."

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

One of Malcolm Gladwell's famous TED talks: worth a rewatch.

https://youtu.be/iIiAAhUeR6Y

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FulsomFrank posted:

Where did you get a copy of 1857???

I have some really nerdy rear end friends.

Fellis posted:

I think the real answer is any 18xx you can get people to play is the best one, any discussion is just theorycrafting optimal engagement. I played 1846 my first time and it definitely intrigued me enough to get me to play more. Now, as a more experienced 18xx player i don't like 1846 as much (it's fine, better than nothing which is more than i can say for 18lilliput), but I've also seen people start with 1862, 1849, alongside the typical 1830/1889/1846. If people like the style of game they'll probably like it no matter what.

I mean unless you mercilessly crush them, or are lovely or whatever. That's not really the game's fault. On this topic, I played a teaching game of 18Chessie (on 18xx.games) with 2 new players and 3 vets last night and dang one of the newer players picked the game faster than I've ever seen and is already asking some pretty pointed questions about strategy in our group chat. It's very :3: feeling to indoctrinate a new player into the cult

I hope that the incremental capitalization framework that 1846 will put into 18xx.games will allow 1849 to be implemented quickly afterwards

:yeah: I agree with this. I really just felt that someone needed to stick up for 1846 a bit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Carteret posted:

malcolm gladwell is a walking ted talk and i mean that in the worst possible way

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Carteret posted:

is this the one where he says “I don’t remember much except being baffled as to who this Epstein guy was and why we were all on his plane.”

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

CommonShore posted:

I have some really nerdy rear end friends.

:yeah: I agree with this. I really just felt that someone needed to stick up for 1846 a bit.

I like 46 a lot, it's just really easy to screw yourself in the draft/first OR and be sad as everyone does laps around you.

It's also harder to stop a snowball in the 2 OR games vs. the 1/2/3 OR ones I've noticed (another reason 1849 rules).

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Petrichor collector edition on KS now. You can get everything, or just an upgrade kit plus the final expansion and stretch goals.

Really cool game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Good deal on the all-in tier.

Not so much for returning backers though.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

Petrichor collector edition on KS now. You can get everything, or just an upgrade kit plus the final expansion and stretch goals.

Really cool game.

I actually just ordered up a copy of the old one because I really dont want the plastic trays and clouds.

Everyone: Lets use less plastic!

Boardgamers : GAMETRAYZZZZZZ!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Aramoro posted:

I actually just ordered up a copy of the old one because I really dont want the plastic trays and clouds.

Everyone: Lets use less plastic!

Boardgamers : GAMETRAYZZZZZZ!

I'm not even remotely up-to-date on this, but I was under the impression that the issue is disposable plastic of single-use containers, etc. For instance, I think I recall hearing about Hasbro getting rid of the plastic in their packaging, such as windows. A plastic board game component that is essentially a durable good seems to be a different matter, but I am quite ignorant and a consumerist dipshit so I am more than happy to be corrected on this.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

I'm not even remotely up-to-date on this, but I was under the impression that the issue is disposable plastic of single-use containers, etc. For instance, I think I recall hearing about Hasbro getting rid of the plastic in their packaging, such as windows. A plastic board game component that is essentially a durable good seems to be a different matter, but I am quite ignorant and a consumerist dipshit so I am more than happy to be corrected on this.

It's both! So single use plastic is just an obvious and egregious example but even plastic you're supposed to keep produces a lot of plastic waste. You might not throw out the little plastic cloud but you've just pushed the plastic waste into industrial production.

It's like that thing where we stopped putting plastic micro-beads into face creams, that by itself didn't stop micro plastics getting into the oceans, it just helped.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Aramoro posted:

It's both! So single use plastic is just an obvious and egregious example but even plastic you're supposed to keep produces a lot of plastic waste. You might not throw out the little plastic cloud but you've just pushed the plastic waste into industrial production.

It's like that thing where we stopped putting plastic micro-beads into face creams, that by itself didn't stop micro plastics getting into the oceans, it just helped.

That makes sense. I hadn't thought about it like that.

Is there a resource to learn more about sustainablity in the hobby? By this, I mean something similar to how Meeples Like Us is something of a resource relating to accessiblity in the hobby?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
My partner is getting bored with rftg :argh:. He complains there are only two dominant strategies with military being one of them. We've played a lot of rftg on bga to be fair.

Any suggestions for a good game to play two player that we should try next that's on bga or one of the other automated game sites? We've done Jaipur but I don't like it as much as rftg.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Spikes32 posted:

My partner is getting bored with rftg :argh:. He complains there are only two dominant strategies with military being one of them. We've played a lot of rftg on bga to be fair.

Any suggestions for a good game to play two player that we should try next that's on bga or one of the other automated game sites? We've done Jaipur but I don't like it as much as rftg.

Targi is on BGA if you're looking strictly for 2P games.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spikes32 posted:

If you're on BGA try Santorini, Battle Sheep and obviously Tash Kalar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
We actually own tash kalar and he doesn't like it because the geometry is too easy for him (yes I love that game and lost a lot at it when we first got it). Will check out those other recs though and see if automated tash kalar changes anything for him.