Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I'll second Shipwreck Arcana and Hanabi for portable coop.

Also The Crew for coop trick-treating (or Fox and the Forest Duet if 2p only).

And the most portable coop of all: Sprawlopolis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So some other folks mentioned it on BGG...so I know I'm not just seeing things - the 7 Wonders redesign military tokens look HELLA nazi-like

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah it's bad

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Looks like the Roman aquila??

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

hoiyes posted:

Looks like the Roman aquila??

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well yeah, but Roman imagery in a black/white/red scheme is the Nazi visual motif 100%. Like textbook.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's extremely similar to the original art, but the the shifted proportions and black background highlight the flag part of it that wasn't particularly apparent before.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Well yeah, but Roman imagery in a black/white/red scheme is the Nazi visual motif 100%. Like textbook.
Because they cribbed it from the Romans?

Nazis took from a lot of sources, and yes you should be very careful using the things Nazis adopted outside of that context. Like if this were the military banner in a game set in a modern warfare scenario it would be more condemnable. Like I'd probably avoid using nordic runes outside of a game about Vikings.

Context matters, and lots of the military cards feature Romans, the context is clear that it's Romans. Likewise, if you're in Japan and you see a swastika on a map, you know it's not a Nazi hangout, it's a temple, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's extremely similar to the original art, but the the shifted proportions and black background highlight the flag part of it that wasn't particularly apparent before.

The originals used a green laurel in the birds grasp, made a big difference.

hoiyes posted:

Context matters

The context in 2020 is that we have a huge surge of white nationalism all over the western world and this imagery is being used by populist movements everywhere? It's blatant enough that a lot of people noticed it from a teaser video 2 second view of it. Like maybe, maybe don't use a combination of visual motifs and color palette used by the most infamous regime in modern history? No one is accusing the graphic designer of being a neo-nazi, just pointing out that it's a very nazi adjacent design and bad.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
As someone who has to consider accessibility at every turn at work, I'm never going to fault anyone for using a high contrast black on white color scheme. It's way more readable than the older busier design. That said the white circle could've easily been an inverted triangle which would've ameliorated the mental effect of conjuring a swastika that the circle does.

I don't really understand why a historic Roman aquila (used in the context of Roman military) that has Nazi design elements is more controversial than using the straight cross symbol that actual nazis fought and died for in a WW2 context.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:lol: so the defense you're going with is that it doesn't matter how close to literal nazi imagery it is, it's more accessible? No one is saying black text on white background is bad, but when you surround it by a loving eagle and red you are evoking very strong nazi imagery.

And I'm not seeing any iron crosses or other crosses pictured there or in any other non-WW2 historical war games.

hoiyes posted:

that actual nazis fought and died for in a WW2 context.

and what is this even? Any imagery used by the nazis is something they committed genocide under in WW2. It's all gross to use today just like a swastika.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 1, 2020

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
No I'm saying.

Roman imagery (later adopted by Nazis) in a historic game about Romans: not OK

Nazi imagery in a historic game about WW2: OK

I am an SJW carebear by any alt-righters metric, but this seems like very small fry stuff compared to say the utter dearth of diverse representation and revisionism in the hobby characterised by something like Maracaibo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's not an either or. You can point out both problematic themes and imagery used in board games and ask publishers to do better.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the original tokens managed to be perfectly readable without evoking swastika banners

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think it comes down to readability? Black text on a white background is much easier to read at a glance, but they're definitely trying to invoke some Imperial Rome/SPQR imagery inline with the original for the military points.

Like.. I can def see the other side on this, but I think the redesign is coming from that readability/accessibility perspective.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Well, the green wreath was the symbol of VP, so you knew the numbers in a wreath meant VP.

Looking at the military - 1 VP chit, it looks like this symbology has been replaced by a many pointed star, and I would wager that, had the image been sharper resolution, the white 'circles' on the flags are actually stars too. Maybe that's why it was missed, because in real like the effect isn't as bad?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

What are some good portable coop games? I already have codenames.

If there's a laptop/IOS or Android tablet/Swith/PS4/Xbox One handy, you might like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. You'll either need to print the manual or have a second tablet/laptop available, but that's it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

hoiyes posted:

No I'm saying.

Roman imagery (later adopted by Nazis) in a historic game about Romans: not OK

Nazi imagery in a historic game about WW2: OK

I am an SJW carebear by any alt-righters metric, but this seems like very small fry stuff compared to say the utter dearth of diverse representation and revisionism in the hobby characterised by something like Maracaibo.

If you're making a game about world war 2, you don't really have the option of making central europe some entirely blank space containing no symbology at all. (Actually, doing that would be its own form of symbolism...)

In that context, using something like the iron cross (and nothing else) to represent german forces is an explicit choice to not use icons tied more directly to the nazi's abhorrent political ideology.

Similarly, if you're using Roman motifs, you can choose things like the laurel wreath that are undeniably roman but don't evoke nazi themes. Not doing that when you have the option is putting your foot in your mouth a bit.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Great now I want to play 7 Wonders.

GJ thread.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the suggestions, thread.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about getting 7W, but after seeing the new day/night artwork, I'm actually starting to feel tempted again, VP tokens be damned... :v:

Do we know if/when the expansions will be reprinted, too? Since if the VP icon on cards has changed from the laurel to a star, I'd like to hold off on getting any (like the guild one - that seems to be quite popular, among people I know) until they're reprinted, too.

EDIT: Oh also, I finally received and played Cartographers. It's pretty good! I'll have to play it another couple of times to confirm, but it has a solid chance of being my favourite solo game.
Is there a thread for sharing map pics? Since we need a thread for sharing map pics :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 1, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hoiyes posted:

Looking at the military - 1 VP chit, it looks like this symbology has been replaced by a many pointed star

How many points, six?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

Great now I want to play 7 Wonders.

GJ thread.

The BGA implementation is really snappy for live play. I think it's a premium only game tho.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Looks like a bunch of companies are starting to put out official TTS workshop mods for GenCon Online.

Here's everything I can find atm.

Pandemic Legacy Season 0: Spoiler Free Demo
Pandemic: Hot Zone - North America
Noctiluca
Fort
Street Fighter: The Miniature Game
On the Origins of the Species
Cover Your Kingdom
Bajillions
Subatomic
Genotype

Interested in giving Fort + Season 0 a spin. :slick:

Do give Hot Zone a crack if you can. It's literally just Mini-Pandemic.

Magnetic North posted:

The BGA implementation is really snappy for live play. I think it's a premium only game tho.

The scripted one on TTS looked good, but I haven't had a chance to spin it up.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jabor posted:

If you're making a game about world war 2, you don't really have the option of making central europe some entirely blank space containing no symbology at all. (Actually, doing that would be its own form of symbolism...)

In that context, using something like the iron cross (and nothing else) to represent german forces is an explicit choice to not use icons tied more directly to the nazi's abhorrent political ideology.

Similarly, if you're using Roman motifs, you can choose things like the laurel wreath that are undeniably roman but don't evoke nazi themes. Not doing that when you have the option is putting your foot in your mouth a bit.

So i assume you'd be fine with a historical wargame about the Roman legions using Roman eagles?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That's literally the point he's trying to make :v:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
This one time, I saw a guy wearing a swastika shirt. This was in Nepal, and he looked Nepalese, but the shirt specifically had a red rectangle with a white circle on it, and the swastika was black, spokes pointing clockwise, on a 45 degree angle.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wait until you learn about capirotes

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Aramoro posted:

So i assume you'd be fine with a historical wargame about the Roman legions using Roman eagles?

Probably, yes.

Now, if that eagle was carrying a red banner, with a white circle on it, with a black symbol inside that circle ... then perhaps not.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played the Fort implementation on TTS, pretty good module. The game itself was interesting, some neat strategies to think about and mecha ICS I haven't really experienced in other games I've played. Didn't really like the market row, but due to the way cards get discarded and up for grabs if you don't use them, it seems you can get a chance at the cards taken eventually...sometimes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about getting 7W, but after seeing the new day/night artwork, I'm actually starting to feel tempted again, VP tokens be damned... :v:

Do we know if/when the expansions will be reprinted, too? Since if the VP icon on cards has changed from the laurel to a star, I'd like to hold off on getting any (like the guild one - that seems to be quite popular, among people I know) until they're reprinted, too.

EDIT: Oh also, I finally received and played Cartographers. It's pretty good! I'll have to play it another couple of times to confirm, but it has a solid chance of being my favourite solo game.
Is there a thread for sharing map pics? Since we need a thread for sharing map pics :D

Leaders, Cities, and Armada are all getting reprints coinciding with the new art - up for preorder on Repos' shop already. Leaders and Cities integrate the Anniversary packs from a couple years back, Leaders now includes one of the wonders form the Wonder Pack (no sign of the other three) and Armada now includes the Siracusa wonder that was a promo at time of original release.

No reprint of Babel becuase 1) I think they know it's their least popular expansion and 2) other than a single leader card that I think might have been a promo anyway, all of Babel's content is stuff that does not get integrated with any existing decks, so there's no need to reprint to match art/cardbacks.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My girlfriend really liked the tea plantation / Sri Lanka theme of the game Ceylon, so she bought it-- no reading reviews or anything, just straight up saw the box cover and fukken bought it. Certainly something I wouldn't do.

We crack it open, and half of the drat cardboard tokens are misprinted/offset from the punch cards by like half a centimeter or more. It kind of bummed her out big time due to it being her first game she wholeheartedly picked.

It's a real shame because the game is actually not bad. I was really worried it would be a groanfest of some game due to it being bought on a whim due to the theme alone. Goes to show how spoiled we are by tons of reviews of stuff before buying for the most part.

Then again, I don't know why I was expecting something terrible like franchised / licensed slapped-on themes or something. The super-Euro style theme of like "tea plantation owners!!!" kind of lends itself to not a crap game already :v:

jeeves fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 1, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gave this a burl tonight. Seems great. You're basically Cold War era spies stopping the commies instead of viruses.
You assemble teams that you all have access to, that basically go around sequestering people away into the night via your Free Candy Van.

I'll probably pick it up, and a mate wants to organise for us to play through Season 1 online. So win/win.

jeeves posted:

We crack it open, and half of the drat cardboard tokens are misprinted/offset from the punch cards by like half a centimeter or more. It kind of bummed her out big time due to it being her first game she wholeheartedly picked.

Get it fixed up for her and win brownie points :hmmyes:

Contact the store your purchased from / contact publisher directly.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

jeeves posted:

My girlfriend really liked the tea plantation / Sri Lanka theme of the game Ceylon, so she bought it-- no reading reviews or anything, just straight up saw the box cover and fukken bought it. Certainly something I wouldn't do.

It's a real shame because the game is actually not bad. I was really worried it would be a groanfest of some game due to it being bought on a whim due to the theme alone. Goes to show how spoiled we are by tons of reviews of stuff before buying for the most part.

Then again, I don't know why I was expecting something terrible like franchised / licensed slapped-on themes or something. The super-Euro style theme of like "tea plantation owners!!!" kind of lends itself to not a crap game already :v:

Contact the company, they may ship you replacement pieces. I had some misprinted tokens in my Kingdomino box and Blue Orange Games sent me replacements and some promo stuff inside of a week.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Apparently the second edition of John Company is less of a tidy while they reprint and more of a proper second edition / redevelopment.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Pax Pamir 2E Reprint is shipping soon which might get me on board for John Company if I can play Pax in time. I really like the idea of it, at least- I would love a good/tight implementation of a competitive coop.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Does anyone have any opinions on the This War of Mine boardgame?

Background: my wife and I have enjoyed coop games that are experience generator type games in the past. We've played many games of Eldritch Horror, Robinson Crusoe, and Arabian Nights and have enjoyed them while recognizing their faults. I especially appreciate games like this that try to do something different or unique in the space.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Radioactive Toy posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on the This War of Mine boardgame?

Background: my wife and I have enjoyed coop games that are experience generator type games in the past. We've played many games of Eldritch Horror, Robinson Crusoe, and Arabian Nights and have enjoyed them while recognizing their faults. I especially appreciate games like this that try to do something different or unique in the space.

My fiance and I enjoyed it, but it can be incredibly difficult and depressing depending on how things go. First time we played, we lost in the first round; we sent two of our three guys to scavenge for stuff and ended up getting a bad event that murdered the both of them, and the third one hosed off due to grief.

Another time we played and never really ran into anything bad just due to lucky shuffles and such.

I bought the game from another friend who had owned it and was just so, so depressed by playing it. I think his team had to strangle a lady in a wedding dress or something after someone had starved to death and they had to read an excerpt of their thoughts, so they sort of.. just packed it up and said 'nah.'

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh wow, I love the video game and wasn't aware of the fact that there was a board game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Pathologic has a board game too. It's a 1 vs 3 hidden movement thing.