Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

What about on the system you'd be playing an FPS on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah on my series x it’s under 100GB

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

100gbs is small? The gently caress?

God help you if you're playing Red Dead 2, COD, Destiny, Hitman, and Ark at the same time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that would probably be fairly difficult with just two hands

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Deakul posted:

God help you if you're playing Red Dead 2, COD, Destiny, Hitman, and Ark at the same time.

Warzone was so big that you couldn't install it in a 250Gb SSD on PC.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

On Playstations it's worse because every patch Warzone had the game would essentially copy itself for a time during installation so you'd essentially have two copies of Warzone while the operating system would just delete the older version leaving you with the newer one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that's Sony's fault though, same with every game. their patching method is awful.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Guillermus posted:

Warzone was so big that you couldn't install it in a 250Gb SSD on PC.

did they actually start compressing stuff or did they do like destiny and just remove half the content

this all reminds me i need to take the time to move some big games like hitman that I'm not playing off my main ssd tho

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jiro posted:

On Playstations it's worse because every patch Warzone had the game would essentially copy itself for a time during installation so you'd essentially have two copies of Warzone while the operating system would just delete the older version leaving you with the newer one.

That’s insane to do it that way.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's cos they do everything encrypted so it has to decrypt everything first. sony are dumb as poo poo

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Deakul posted:

Hitman got its poo poo together at least, Hitman2 was like 150gb by the time they added all the DLCs but Hitman3 (which includes all the Hitman1+2 content) is only 64gb

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

repiv posted:

Hitman got its poo poo together at least, Hitman2 was like 150gb by the time they added all the DLCs but Hitman3 (which includes all the Hitman1+2 content) is only 64gb

Whoa, Hitman 3 sounds worth buying just for that alone.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah turns out not duplicating every asset in every level saves a lot of space

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s insane to do it that way.

It does mean that if something goes wrong and the patching process aborts, you have one working unpatched copy of the game and one broken copy that can be safely deleted, rather than a busted install that needs to be wiped and redone from scratch (hi, Deus Ex).

There are definitely ways to implement that that don't require making a complete copy of the entire game, though (except in circumstances where you're updating every single file of the game anyways).

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

There was also speculation that all the gun skins, character skins, every permutation of all that micro transaction stuff was already just preinstalled in the game as a separate piece of an add-on to a weapon or character instead of just some kind of image asset that overlays the gun and or part model. Along with insane texture files and sound dialogue files for every language.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

site posted:

yeah turns out not duplicating every asset in every level saves a lot of space

That's a very simple way of putting it, but it could probably be summed up like that:
https://www.pcgamer.com/how-hitman-3s-devs-shrank-the-entire-trilogys-install-size-by-over-80gb/

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

repiv posted:

Definitely. I recently bought H3 on sale and installed it to a PC that had all of the H1 & H2 content installed on it. Took me a few minutes to realize that, no, I can delete that concurrent 150 GB install and still have access to everything (plus Hitman 3!) for less than 70 GB total.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

call of duty's netcode (or ability to hide shaky netcode) is also the best I've ever seen. Whenever I've lived somewhere with not-great internet, Call of Duty is still good to go. Battlefield, Battlefront, overwatch etc. have always ran way worse and feature way more lag.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Narcissus1916 posted:

call of duty's netcode (or ability to hide shaky netcode) is also the best I've ever seen. Whenever I've lived somewhere with not-great internet, Call of Duty is still good to go. Battlefield, Battlefront, overwatch etc. have always ran way worse and feature way more lag.

Somewhat. It sucks poo poo when you get 3 hit markers on someone and they still somehow kill you.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

The Kins posted:

I'd imagine it's a lot like Madden and FIFA and other mainstream darlings where its fanbase has very little crossover with the sort of people who post on videogame forums like this one. It's a big world out there!

I was never actually talking about internet forums, I've been out of the loop on the larger gaming communities for awhile. I'd hear this from customers and other employees in the store I used to work at constantly, and that was just a grocery store. It happens elsewhere too but that was something that was a constant. I'm not even asking them about it, people just volunteer that info when they talk about games.
I honestly don't know how a game series with such a constant downturn in public opinion that I hear it parroted in public spaces still continues to be very successful.

I do know though that even though they continue to remain at top seller lists, the numbers per each were steadily going down even with Black Ops 4 and Vanguard. Activision keeps acting like it's just not making the money they want? I don't understand it at all.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 6, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I was never actually talking about internet forums, I've been out of the loop on the larger gaming communities for awhile. I'd hear this from customers and other employees in the store I used to work at constantly, and that was just a grocery store. It happens elsewhere too but that was something that was a constant. I'm not even asking them about it, people just volunteer that info when they talk about games.
I honestly don't know how a game series with such a constant downturn in public opinion that I hear it parroted in public spaces still continues to be very successful.

I do know though that even though they continue to remain at top seller lists, the numbers per each were steadily going down even with Black Ops 4 and Vanguard. Activision keeps acting like it's just not making the money they want? I don't understand it at all.

Because their friends play it. That's why I stuck with it for so long even after I thought it lost steam.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it's cos they do everything encrypted so it has to decrypt everything first. sony are dumb as poo poo

Jiro posted:

It's neither of these - the PS3 was slow as poo poo because it did de/encryption on a SPU and it sucked, the PS4 (and bones) have dedicated stuff for it. It's slow because the PS4 defrags while installations happen to make sure the game's data is physically contiguous and prevent..slow loading. Yeah.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

I wish there was one more difficulty between Cero and the one-hit you're dead difficulty. I've played Dusk five times through and I'd do a sixth on such a difficulty.

sane, duskmare is a frustrating gimmick and cero is just too easy at this point.

they should also make dusk ep4

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

I wish there was one more difficulty between Cero and the one-hit you're dead difficulty. I've played Dusk five times through and I'd do a sixth on such a difficulty.

I wouldn't mind that either. If you haven't tried intruder mode (start every level with only sickles) it bumps the difficulty up a notch and is a lot of fun.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

An Actual Princess posted:

they should also make dusk ep4
They're working on a bunch of things. They've been showing bits and pieces of a HD Model Pack on Twitter recently, and in the past they've talked about co-op and hinted at a remix mode where you get to play with the powers you gained in the ending.

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1530817093335400453
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1531895289380241408
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1531901960743682048

Don't think a new episode will happen though, they seem more interested in adding every BSP format in existence to the mod SDK.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GZDoom 4.8.0 is out now. It adds many fixes for MBF21-standard mod support, the ability to see the custom startup load screens used by Heretic, Hexen, Strife and various mods on non-Windows platforms, a "screenjob" system to hand more control of 2D stuff to scripters, and support for the 90's most favoritest technological innovation - Full Motion Video, at long last! :haw:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

GZDoom 4.8.0 is out now. It adds many fixes for MBF21-standard mod support, the ability to see the custom startup load screens used by Heretic, Hexen, Strife and various mods on non-Windows platforms, a "screenjob" system to hand more control of 2D stuff to scripters, and support for the 90's most favoritest technological innovation - Full Motion Video, at long last! :haw:

Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/TripleARawn/status/1534041793532026882?t=RhGv4qWs8btVN5_IS6HJaA&s=19

I realize this is like just some super animated texture, but still.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
To win the game you must watch me, morbius

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/TripleARawn/status/1534041793532026882?t=RhGv4qWs8btVN5_IS6HJaA&s=19

I realize this is like just some super animated texture, but still.

Saw this earlier, and at 1.6GB I think I'll give it a miss.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Saw this earlier, and at 1.6GB I think I'll give it a miss.

It's actually 1.6 MB and this is how the world is introduced to Jan Sloot's mysterious file compression technique.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

100GB for Warzone: too big
1.6GB for DOom: too big

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'd think it'd be the idea of watching morbius in the first place that would be the pass, not the file size

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

site posted:

I'd think it'd be the idea of watching morbius in the first place that would be the pass, not the file size

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

site posted:

:emptyquote:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
itd only be worth it to be hosting a deathmatch game there and everyone just goes nuts 4 minutes in

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Icon of Sin map but each ninth of its face is a ninth of one larger animated texture that turns out to be Morbius

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The morbius movie except every time they say morbius it gets faster

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I was gonna say, Icon of Sin but it summons individual instances of Morbius in tiny, roaming, 64x64-pixel squares.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Then add Archviles with the Sony logo for faces that remorb when you think about morb too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's Doom2 but the Revenants' homing missiles are just textures playing the entirety of Morb. Just the homing ones though.