Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
I have an HTPC (and other stuff) connected to a projector, which is generally awesome. My setup is:

(many devices) ---> HDMI Switch ---> Audio Extractor (connected to amp for speakers) ---> Projector

One longstanding annoyance with this setup is that my projector takes a while (like 3-5 seconds?) dealing with an input drop or change. Every time I enter a game on the PC it drops the video output momentarily and I get seconds of the Benq "no input, searching..." display. Every time the PS4 changes resolution for whatever reason (e.g. games that are not 1080p), I get the screen. Every time I change the input, seconds of screen. Etc.

Is there a device I can use to like "fake" a persistent display to the projector so that it doesn't black out all the time? Any little boxes to do it? Would a receiver do this (I don't need one but maybe if it solves this problem...)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You can try an HDMI to HDMI upscaler. It may or may not work and good ones aren't cheap.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is a projector really worth it?

So great seeing the Shield for 169 in the US and Canadian best buy only carries the loving stand for it

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm getting pretty bad stuttering on 4k HEVC files playing in Kodi on my Shield TV hooked up to a 1080p TV.

These are around 60Mbps files.

I read about people playing back 4k HEVC files with a Shield, but I'm not sure if that's in Kodi or not. Also, it's doing the downsampling to 1080p.

Anyone else able to play back files like this?

edit: Hmm, still stuttering when play back with VLC. I guess the Shield can't handle downscaling 4k to 1080p?

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 7, 2017

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I'm getting pretty bad stuttering on 4k HEVC files playing in Kodi on my Shield TV hooked up to a 1080p TV.

These are around 60Mbps files.

I read about people playing back 4k HEVC files with a Shield, but I'm not sure if that's in Kodi or not. Also, it's doing the downsampling to 1080p.

Anyone else able to play back files like this?

edit: Hmm, still stuttering when play back with VLC. I guess the Shield can't handle downscaling 4k to 1080p?

I play HEVC files in my shield through Kodi, but nothing that large.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I finally got to try a shield today and wow. I never thought android could be this. Now I need to get one somehow with no money.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013
Speaking of hiding stuff... I have been told to would like to switch over to wireless + hide as much as humanly possible a nearby utility room. Post switch, I'd still like to have access to local channels (currently, antenna via coax), blu-ray player (currently ps3 using hmdi), sound (currently 7.1 A/V receiver with wired speakers), and Amazon streaming (currently using app on ps3).

Any recommended setups? It it just a matter of adding wireless hdmi boxes in line? Or is there something more elegant?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

gaj70 posted:

Speaking of hiding stuff... I have been told to would like to switch over to wireless + hide as much as humanly possible a nearby utility room. Post switch, I'd still like to have access to local channels (currently, antenna via coax), blu-ray player (currently ps3 using hmdi), sound (currently 7.1 A/V receiver with wired speakers), and Amazon streaming (currently using app on ps3).

Any recommended setups? It it just a matter of adding wireless hdmi boxes in line? Or is there something more elegant?

Switching to an Xbone or PS4 can let you use an hdhomerun with an antenna for OTA channels that you can just put wherever your router is since it's a network tuner, while keeping Blu-ray playback and streaming services.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Switching to an Xbone or PS4 can let you use an hdhomerun with an antenna for OTA channels that you can just put wherever your router is since it's a network tuner, while keeping Blu-ray playback and streaming services.

hdhomerun looks promising, thanks. However, I'm not sure I get your point about xbones/ps4's. My preferred setup would be something like:
[blu ray player + antenna] --> [hdhomerun] --> [router] --> air gap --> [tv] --> [soundbar]
where everything to the left of the air gap is in a closet.

If I need a dongle on the tv, I'd like it to be as unintrusive as possible e.g., chromecast or fire in "mini-stick" form factor. And I guess, a harmony remote somewhere in there.

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 8, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you insist on a wireless connection to the TV you'll need a Wireless HDMI product. Anything based on WiFi will be too high latency to be decent in a lot of games.

Those will still depend on line-of-sight between the transmitter and receiver so you won't be able to keep them completely hidden and depending on layout you may have issues with people walking in front of the beam blocking it.

Running a wire would be the best option if you can do it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
You should run a wire. With wireless you're going to spend a bunch of money and end up unsatisfied with the end result anyways. Just shortcut the inevitable and run the wire.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Especially once you wanna do 4k and hdr

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

Especially once you wanna do 4k and hdr

Thanks all. My problem is that I'm getting quotes of ~$1K to run the wire (Mostly to repair/repaint the ceiling; it's all finished space). On principle, I'd rather spend that money on new electronics.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Just got a new 4k ready TV and a 4k ready intel NUC. The issue I am having is when switching from my cable box (at 1080p or whatever fios is) to the NUC (at 2160p). Kodi resizes to this little thumbnail size instead of its previous fullscreen state. I know it has something to do with the TV switching resolutions and the HDMI handshake but I have no idea how to fix it / work around it. Anyone have any thoughts?

edit: Actually, it *might* be that the NUC is dropping to something like 800x600 when it loses it's display but I have no way of knowing that for fact.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 12, 2017

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
That issue cropped up for me with Kodi coming out of wake on my NUC when I installed it with Windows 10. Fixed it by killing Kodi and restarting it on wake.

Then when Win10 updated to the Anniversary update, it started doing it again and I solved it by increasing the delay before Kodi relaunched on wake.

Then when Win10 updated to the Creators update, it started doing it again as well as occasionally when switching between sources. I solved it by buying a 2017 Shield TV (and a Harmony Hub to put a real remote on it) and turning off and unplugging the NUC.

Haven't had any issues since...

Fake edit: If you insist on going down the road of pain and suffering, I suspect your theory about the NUC changing resolutions is correct - it was mine as well. I never could get a workable solution and figured that even if I did the next update would just bust it tho. Godspeed.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

cr0y posted:

Just got a new 4k ready TV and a 4k ready intel NUC. The issue I am having is when switching from my cable box (at 1080p or whatever fios is) to the NUC (at 2160p). Kodi resizes to this little thumbnail size instead of its previous fullscreen state. I know it has something to do with the TV switching resolutions and the HDMI handshake but I have no idea how to fix it / work around it. Anyone have any thoughts?

edit: Actually, it *might* be that the NUC is dropping to something like 800x600 when it loses it's display but I have no way of knowing that for fact.

I had the same issue. I just programmed my Harmony remote to close Kodi when going to a new activity (or powering off) and then when I start the Kodi activity reopening Kodi via a keyboard shortcut. If you don't have a programmable remote, I got nothing.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Wiggly posted:

I had the same issue. I just programmed my Harmony remote to close Kodi when going to a new activity (or powering off) and then when I start the Kodi activity reopening Kodi via a keyboard shortcut. If you don't have a programmable remote, I got nothing.

I have a harmony, ill try that. Thanka gents.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I'd like to build an HTPC/NAS that I can store all my media on as well as just play it on my TV. Is this the thread I should be asking in or just straight over to the PC-Parts picker thread.

I'm not sure which OS to use or even the best software. It looks like Kodi and/or Plex (or both) would be pretty useful.

I'm wanting to:
  • store a large amount of media files up to 4K content
  • stream media from this to anything on my network
  • stream to a remote mobile device at some point later on
I figured I could kill two birds with one stone by just building an HTPC with a lot of storage in it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

MonkeyFit posted:

I'd like to build an HTPC/NAS that I can store all my media on as well as just play it on my TV. Is this the thread I should be asking in or just straight over to the PC-Parts picker thread.

I'm not sure which OS to use or even the best software. It looks like Kodi and/or Plex (or both) would be pretty useful.

I'm wanting to:
  • store a large amount of media files up to 4K content
  • stream media from this to anything on my network
  • stream to a remote mobile device at some point later on
I figured I could kill two birds with one stone by just building an HTPC with a lot of storage in it.

Shield.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

So I sould just get a shield and a separate NAS?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MonkeyFit posted:

So I sould just get a shield and a separate NAS?

Yes. Or you can build a NAS. But that's in another thread.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Or, depending how much space we're talking here you could just hook an external up to the Shield itself.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Or, depending how much space we're talking here.

Several terabytes, and I'd like some redundancy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

MonkeyFit posted:

Several terabytes, and I'd like some redundancy.

In that case, yea, NAS for storage.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Hard drives get hot and make noise so you probably don't want that sitting next to where you watch TV. If you build a NAS put it someplace else if you can.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
The biggest downside to having your NAS and your HTPC be the same machine is that running a giant subwoofer for your home theater system that close to a pile of hard drives is a recipe for disaster.

Edit: Because vibrations, not magnets.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

G-Prime posted:

The biggest downside to having your NAS and your HTPC be the same machine is that running a giant subwoofer for your home theater system that close to a pile of hard drives is a recipe for disaster.

Edit: Because vibrations, not magnets.

While I'm not going to say this is technically wrong, if I had a list of 100 things to be concerned about when building a combo HTPC/Storage PC this would be number #100, somewhere after "random acts of God may destroy the part of your space the HTPC is in but not the part a NAS would be in".

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
If I did a combo it would mean throwing a cheap video card in there and maybe a beefier processor. Looking at a shield TV though that does look pretty awesome. Especially with plex and Kodi support. So I'll probably just do a separate NAS and get a shield.

Honestly the only thing that will separate the two if I put the NAS somewhere else is a 6" interior wall.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My hauppauge cablecard box is rebooting continuously, after about 7 years of loyal service.

I don't really watch or dvr tv anymore apart from Bob's burgers and can pretty much cover all viewing between Hulu and Netflix, so I'm leaning towards a Shield and a regular cable box for local channels, but I was wondering if there's a replacement for what I've got.

Apart from a TiVO, there's not really a single-input device that will give access to both cable and various streaming sites, is there? (Antenna is out- I don't have reception).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I bought a Synology DS416j and gave it four 4TB drives. I have that running in a Raid because I ripped my DVDs to ISO files, and I didn't want to repeat that project if/when one of the hard drive dies. The other benefit is that it also does my torrents, Sonarr, and SQL database. So I just point my 3 Amazon Fire sticks at that machine, and everything is in sync across all of those devices. The Fire Sticks generate no noise, and the Synology is also very quite (and in my office).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Glass of Milk posted:

My hauppauge cablecard box is rebooting continuously, after about 7 years of loyal service.

I don't really watch or dvr tv anymore apart from Bob's burgers and can pretty much cover all viewing between Hulu and Netflix, so I'm leaning towards a Shield and a regular cable box for local channels, but I was wondering if there's a replacement for what I've got.

Apart from a TiVO, there's not really a single-input device that will give access to both cable and various streaming sites, is there? (Antenna is out- I don't have reception).

A HDHomerun tuner will work with pretty much your choice of devices. They're supported in Kodi and Plex, have app support on most major OSes, and expose UPnP DLNA streams which can be played by pretty much anything.

If all you care about is Bob's Burgers you might be able to get away with the cheaper OTA/Clear QAM models, but that depends on how nice your cable provider is. Otherwise there's a triple-tuner CableCard model.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have one of the new Amazon Fire TVs (the diamond shaped one)? That thing seems like it'd be a perfect replacement for my HTPC that bit the dust; wireless AC, tiny as hell, and I could install Kodi on it. My only concern would be streaming 1080p files from my personal server but it seems like that shouldn't be a problem at all given the memory and the 5ghz wireless.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 26, 2017

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Does anyone have one of the new Amazon Fire TVs (the diamond shaped one)? That thing seems like it'd be a perfect replacement for my HTPC that bit the dust; wireless AC, tiny as hell, and I could install Kodi on it. My only concern would be streaming 1080p files from my personal server but it seems like that shouldn't be a problem at all given the memory and the 5ghz wireless.

I do - it's works well enough for what I bought it for, amazon video, netflix, hulu, plex, etc. I bought the USB ethernet adapter for streaming from an HDHomerun, but for everything else the wireless was fine. I don't use it on a 4k or HDR TV, but honestly, the price was right for what i need it for.

Additional thought - much easier to use than the Odroid C2 I purchased for the same TV earlier this year, going to send the odroid to another TV.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
On the constant recommendations of this thread, I decided to replace my 2nd gen core i5 laptop with a Shield for HTPC duties. All I can say is that this thing is amazing; it's extremely smooth and gamestream is really nice compared to Steam streaming on the laptop. I always had some FPS drop in Kodi when looking through movies on the main menu, but all of that is gone. One thing that's really A+ is the keyboard/mouse overlay when streaming, which is really helpful when you have to tweak something from the couch.

At one point I was cursing Nvidia for failing to include a start button alongside the back button on the controller, but I found that the middle button is 2 step which is really nice. Harmony integration with a FLIRC took some adjustment to make it emulate the back/menu buttons, but it was easy with the FLIRC software.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The HTPC Thread : just buy a Shield already

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm actually pretty frustrated with my shields working with kodi + emby. (same problem with kodi + plex)

The problem is that watched status won't stay in sync between them. I'm fairly sure it has something to do with Android putting kodi to sleep,but I still haven't been able to pin down what is happening exactly.

I'm hoping v18 makes a difference.

I've come close to just moving back to htpc's on the couple of tvs I've got shields on. Everyone hates the plex and the emby UI so just using them straight isn't an option either.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I'm actually pretty frustrated with my shields working with kodi + emby. (same problem with kodi + plex)

The problem is that watched status won't stay in sync between them. I'm fairly sure it has something to do with Android putting kodi to sleep,but I still haven't been able to pin down what is happening exactly.

I've come close to just moving back to htpc's on the couple of tvs I've got shields on. Everyone hates the plex and the emby UI so just using them straight isn't an option either.

That’s odd because I’m running Emby for Kodi and haven’t had any issues syncing between my two Shields (or the two Fire TVs that I have Emby on). Just to see what would happen I loaded up Netflix on one of the Shields about 5 hours ago and left it. I just started up a movie on the other Shield and stopped it, walked to the other room, closed Netflix and opened Kodi. The watched status of the movie was exactly where I left off in the other room. Have you done a reinstall any time recently?

Edit: How large is your library?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I drive a BBW posted:

That’s odd because I’m running Emby for Kodi and haven’t had any issues syncing between my two Shields (or the two Fire TVs that I have Emby on). Just to see what would happen I loaded up Netflix on one of the Shields about 5 hours ago and left it. I just started up a movie on the other Shield and stopped it, walked to the other room, closed Netflix and opened Kodi. The watched status of the movie was exactly where I left off in the other room. Have you done a reinstall any time recently?

Edit: How large is your library?

It's not a consistent problem...but maybe 50% of the time I'll come into the room and it lists shows as unwatched that have been definitely watched.

I've got a pretty big library. 1500 movies and 16500 episdoes.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Thermopyle posted:

I have the same setup with Emby connected to trakt and that seems to work well. I recently had to manually update Emby/Emby trakt plugin/Emby Kodi plugin, but the only time I have issues these days is when the Emby server occasional crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Are you using trakt in Kodi or the Emby trakt addon? Or both?