Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

thinking i may split it into two scripts; one grabs the tweets once a day, the other uses the twitfile to babble every thirty minutes or so

done.

time to see whether splitting the script has halved my problems or doubled them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lmao its perfect, thank you trig discipline
https://twitter.com/markov_polov/status/698403698783879168

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah it's turning out pretty amazingly so far, thanks trig for making my dreams reality.

thrig

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
thanks for the idea, it's p great

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Count down until this thing converges on spam

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Nice! job, Trig

edit: part of my tweet in it, voted 5

https://twitter.com/markov_polov/status/698477032674463745

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 13, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/markov_polov/status/698489628798488577

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im dying

https://twitter.com/markov_polov/status/698431683863838721

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

call it Markov Polov for the whole call and response aspect

what are you making this in?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

computer toucher posted:

what are you making this in?

R, using the ngram and twitteR package

https://twitter.com/markov_polov/status/698604570893660160

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
text meeeeeeee

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

car on tip

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i need to fix that & issue

so many dumb things to regex, so little time

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
also i'm 99% sure the stability issues are the ngram package, not the twitter package. hosed if i'm going to try to fix it though, i'll just restart the script at random intervals instead

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/markov_polov/status/698619691116302336

yeah Pleasure Kevin, give it a rest already

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/Pleasure__Kevin/status/698621578817343489

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
really great trig. i tried to do a bot once but couldn't figure out oauth. does R have a package for that? or?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lomarf

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that kinda deserves its own thread

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Barnyard Protein posted:

really great trig. i tried to do a bot once but couldn't figure out oauth. does R have a package for that? or?

yep, super easy. you have to register an app on the twitter page and then get the api key, secret key, token, and token secret key

then it's just

code:
library(twitteR)

options(httr_oauth_cache=T)

apikey <- "apikey"
apisecret <- "apisecret"
token <- "token"
tokensecret <- "tokensecret"
setup_twitter_oauth(apikey, apisecret, token, tokensecret)
with your keys subbed into the quoted bits. then you can just call tweet() with anything you want, or use all of the cool search functions in the package to scrape trends, people's posts, friends, etc.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

that kinda deserves its own thread

i don't make threads. i make threads better

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
although yeah maybe i should do that rather than continuously posting dumb robot tweets in this thread

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I'm thinking of putting together a patriotic fireworks display

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it would expand your audience

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Al! posted:

I'm thinking of putting together a patriotic fireworks display
you seem to be real happy about scalia

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if you arent

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody posted:

lol if you arent
as rural latvian native, im already lighting up chain of bonfires to let my tribe know that today we shall have a whole goat to commemorate this occassion

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also yeah make america great again finally or something, scalia sounds like a pos

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Trig Discipline posted:

i don't make threads. i make threads better

doing god's work

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
okay i make the thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764241&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL that PleasureKevin didn't know what the bot was.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

oi a chav fancied me sack n nicked it

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

so I'm still working on a way to remotely control the volume of one of my amps that has a multi zone feature

i bought one of these and ripped it apart, and its actually pretty simple

there is an output lead that is physically connected to an output on a transformer by the slider, so if you move it up one click it is connected to the first (lowest power) winding, if you go up again it contacts a second winding, and so on until you move it to the last pin where it directly connects with the input from the amp to give full power. there are 12 levels, with the first being off, and the last being 100% volume

so there are a couple of ways I can do this, originally i wanted to use a serial controlled analog selector switch like the MAX335 however, it has a really high on resistance, like 250 ohms or something ridiculous

this really isn't acceptable because if you add 250 ohms to the signal path of an amplifier that has a rated range of 4-16 ohms, well, it aint gonna work

the only thing i can find with low enough impedance is this and even then, its best case is 500 mOhms. that's probably good enough as when I measured the resistance of the selector switch at different points it averaged 400mOhms.

I'm just not sure if that switch can handle the kind of power I'm pushing through it. any circuit wizards have any input?

i guess I'm just gonna hook my multi meter up and see what the AC voltage is going to my speaker and see if I can get a measure of the current at a dece volume

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 14, 2016

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

BiohazrD posted:

so I'm still working on a way to remotely control the volume of one of my amps that has a multi zone feature
the only thing i can find with low enough impedance is this

not suitable

the datasheet says a max switch current of 500mA which is 1W of amp power through a 4 ohm load, and its limited to 4.3V signals, which would be exceeded with a 16ohm load at the same current.

the real deal killer though is it's single-ended, so it will not switch negative voltages which an audio amplifier will produce. (low voltage, single-ended analog switches handle AC with a DC offset so it never goes negative, and you never want a DC offset through a speaker).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
beat me to it yeah, levels will swing negative
honestly i'd look for a 1x12 or two 1x6 relay boards and just do it with that.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i was under the impression that an "analog switch" was two way, meaning that negative voltages and stuff would work no problem

i tested the output of my amplifier, and i was getting something like 500mA and < 4 volts at about 30% volume (although to be fair, this is just one of my many random amps laying around, not necessarily the one i was planning to use)

i was really going for kind of a low component solution, but my "last resort" is

micro controller - > serial shift register - > MOSFETs (shift registers can only source like 35mA) -> relays

the board would be gigantic though, a shift register, 8 mosfets, 8 relays? gently caress

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2n2222a's will drive DIP relays all day long. i mean yeah you're looking at a couple packs of cigarettes worth of space for the relays but its not that bad.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

well ultimately i'll need 4 of these, one for each room but yeah i guess i should fire up diptrace and get to work

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
made sled legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
for christmas I got one of those pulse-chargers that is meant to recharge dead alkaline batteries, and damned if it doesn't work

stuck a couple of dead duracells in there and 3 hours later they both read 1.45v and are now happily puttering away inside my mouse

i imagine they won't have the cycle life of nimhs or whatever, but regardless, this is a super great invention