Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i still can't get past "lord boy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Axe-man posted:

source your quotes is there a reddit or tumblr post or something?

OH MAN, this is amazing.
He can't "CONTROL" minds in the same way he can't "READ" his own mind - of course he can, in the same way that we all "read" our own minds, but the experience is so different from the exercise of his power, where other people can be understood as separate from himself and understood rationally whereas his own thoughts don't feel like that, they feel just like being alive, unexamined and irrational, that he doesn't recognize them as such. In the same way, controlling another person's inner life immediately makes them inseparable from you, and the changes you make are totally uncontrolled and alien and alienating... man, this makes SO MUCH sense to me, and packed into such efficient storytelling. Absolutely bravo.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

OH MAN, this is amazing.
He can't "CONTROL" minds in the same way he can't "READ" his own mind - of course he can, in the same way that we all "read" our own minds, but the experience is so different from the exercise of his power, where other people can be understood as separate from himself and understood rationally whereas his own thoughts don't feel like that, they feel just like being alive, unexamined and irrational, that he doesn't recognize them as such. In the same way, controlling another person's inner life immediately makes them inseparable from you, and the changes you make are totally uncontrolled and alien and alienating... man, this makes SO MUCH sense to me, and packed into such efficient storytelling. Absolutely bravo.

what in the actual gently caress is wrong with these people

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i read those posts and then bellowed desperately into the sky

i dislike them a lot

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Please tell me the poster's name is Richard Wolfe. I refuse to believe that isn't an elaborate troll.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fister Roboto posted:

OH MAN, this is amazing.

I don't even understand the point he's trying to make.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You know like, you're dreaming and you're a criminal mastermind and you come up with this brilliant plan to rob the mob and you have to put together a team of perfectly qualified safecrackers and con men and lookouts and drivers and you get them all together and they each really dislike everyone else in the team and just assembling all the gear you're going to need for this job is a huge series of adventures but gradually through hardship and occasional losses because you know these mob guys do NOT gently caress around they all come together and you have a loyal team of mob robbing commandos and you have the whole GEAR UP scene and everything is closeups of knives shoving into ankle sheaths and zippers being zipped up and magazines being slammed into gun butts you know what I'm saying right ALOT of anal sex metaphors and your heart swells with pride as your glorious team marches into the school bus and it slowly drives out of the hangar and the scout cars take their positions in a delta "Missing Man" formation because you're honoring Fat Mike who died in your arms getting the thing you needed for something or other and there's this vaguely military music and lots of tight closeups of grimacing and TEETH and the camera pulls back to show your squadron kicking up a huge cloud of dust as you roll out over the salt flats

Yeah it's not like that at all

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Stockholm Syndrome Female Protagonist

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't even understand the point he's trying to make.

The story is just so efficient without any of those pesky distracting backgrounds. *makes kissing motion with hands* Bravo! Bravissimo!!!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I love it for the way it makes me question my own moral convictions, like, if I had a choice between rewriting my parents' brains to make them stop hating me or to force them to kill each other/themselves with my brain powers, well, the choice is clear really :hai:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Do both?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
no see patrick learned a lot about manipulating minds during his supervillainy... all this was according to kekaku

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
To be fair here, this is the first time in a while someone solved a problem without punching anything

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Kill yourself it is the only solution. - Single Female Protagonist

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Guys it turns out while all this has been going on Clevin's been opening a restaurant with his Real Big Dad:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Allison straight-up doesn't give a gently caress.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Murder is bad, but consider this: Hitler was a person

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Pat, Pat, Pat. I mentally rewrote you from the ground up through violence and asserting my will over your own. All this tells me is that you're going to be a great trigger man later."

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
WHAT IN THE FLYING gently caress WAS THAT PAGE?!

What in the bloody hell is this chapter even trying to convey at this point? She's just non-chantey staring at some horrible tragedy like it's a pile of gold, she looks like she isn't even looking at the same thing as him.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Okay, that explains your autism, pal. Time to go now, though, I'm bored.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Clevin is totally going to break up with Alison because he's not good enough for her and Patrick is going to catch that sweet, sweet rebound

After being properly physically forced into the correct mental health, for his own good, of course.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
don't worry they're not gonna turn this into a romance arc. remember? patrick fell asleep after giving himself a serious head injury at the start of all this :3:

Who What Now posted:

Guys it turns out while all this has been going on Clevin's been opening a restaurant with his Real Big Dad:

i'll have the pasta nuggets and exactly 1 meatball

The Worst Unicorn fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 11, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wow, this is so much dumber than I expected, and I expected really dumb.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Alison's demonstrating the strong maternal support that Patrick can internalize as a giant woman that beats up the bad guys that live in his head.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Godddddd this is the most boring ride at Epcot. We passed up the Haunted Mansion for this?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The only winning move is not to play.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I like how it looks like his teeth are melting because the artist is unable to draw tears as anything other than those extremely anime comic-relief tears regardless of circumstance.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Why would the hidden memory be hidden because he didn't want other people to see it, not because it was painful to him. Why would Allison's apathy be a salve

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The big flash of ~PSYCHIC POWER~ in the first panel is Patrick re-writing his own brain but I think Mulligan realized how dumb that would be so he opted to leave it as a visual only thing, imo.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Mr. Squishy posted:

Why would the hidden memory be hidden because he didn't want other people to see it, not because it was painful to him. Why would Allison's apathy be a salve

Dude locked away the memory of the time he murdered his own parents, but Allison immediately makes it all about herself.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Emrikol posted:

Dude locked away the memory of the time he murdered his own parents, but Allison immediately makes it all about herself.

lol, that's a great point.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Emrikol posted:

Selfish Female Protagonist

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Zerilan posted:

Selfish Female Protagonist

Being STrong means that nothing affects you except yourself.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hey Allison, here's the time that I tracked down my parents and forced them to kill themselves in cold blood.

Oh sure, that's fine...You wanna get some pizza?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

a cartoon duck posted:

I like how it looks like his teeth are melting because the artist is unable to draw tears as anything other than those extremely anime comic-relief tears regardless of circumstance.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
We are supposed to feel moved by the fact that the character is emotionally devastated after he murdered his uncaring parents. You would think this would be hard to screw up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flesh Forge posted:

The big flash of ~PSYCHIC POWER~ in the first panel is Patrick re-writing his own brain but I think Mulligan realized how dumb that would be so he opted to leave it as a visual only thing, imo.
Perhaps, like Yudkowsky, he can do it - once - but ask him to do it twice or die... and he dies!

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
what do you guys think of "grotagonist" as a noun

it means grotesque protagonist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

He's so hosed up...

• Locked thread