Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Tekopo posted:

I only like 1v1 high form TK and really dislike any other forms of play :shrug:

What don't you enjoy about 2v2? I find them pretty close but like partnership games, and there's very few of those that don't use a traditional deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The downtime, mostly. I just generally prefer 1v1 games as well.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Finally convinced someone to play Twilight Struggle with me. What a fun game! I have a feeling this is going to be a gateway drug to the COIN series, though I doubt I can find friends willing to play them.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Can anyone offer an opinion on Takenoko? My fiance loves pandas and thought it looked incredibly cute and if it plays well, I'll pick it up.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

elgarbo posted:

Can anyone offer an opinion on Takenoko? My fiance loves pandas and thought it looked incredibly cute and if it plays well, I'll pick it up.

It's really basic, so if you're used to heavier faire, it won't satisfy. It is, however, easy to teach, relatively quick to play and very nice to look at.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

elgarbo posted:

It's a light contract fulfillment game, where each player will be trying to gain points for redeeming cards for either setting up the garden in a certain way, growing certain levels of bamboo, or having the panda eat certain pieces of bamboo. It's quite simple and its main draw is that it has very pretty components, and lots of people are drawn to it and enjoy it on this alone.

Excellent gateway game, as a gamer's game it's less fun but still mildly interesting.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Tekopo posted:

The downtime, mostly. I just generally prefer 1v1 games as well.

Yeah that makes sense.

elgarbo posted:

As everyone else said, it's pretty slight in terms of gameplay. Some people don't like that a lot of the interaction in the game seems unintended - e.g. someone else eats the bamboo stalk you're trying to grow which sets you a turn behind, not because they want to hurt you but because they need it for their own task.

If you play games like Castles of Burgundy or heavier you might find it too light, and I don't get it to the table much for that reason, but I still enjoy it occasionally and it's one of my go-to games for introducing people to modern board games.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

So I played my first game of Quantum (3p) and was wondering if I was doing something wrong because that endgame bogged down haaaard. We were all down to our last cube to place, and it started to basically be a game of whack a mole, where the winner was eventually decided by someone failing a critical roll to stop someone else, which is a rather anticlimactic way of ending things. Was there something I was missing? Was there a clearer path to victory besides trying to drop that last cube on a planet before getting jumped by an army of 2s carrying 1s or being warped by 3s? It was a really fun game before that, but then the smash the leader thing happened and it devolved into a very meh experience.

The aim of Quantum is to put yourself into a position where you can't be stopped. There are quite a few ways to place two cubes in the same turn and more technologies that let you keep a ship well out of the way until you need it. My last game I won using Curious (one extra non-combat move). My penultimate turn saw me move a Cruiser in with the Interceptor I already had on an 8-world, drop a Cube to take Nomadic, then use the Curious move to shift my Interceptor to the neighbouring 8-world. I then got wiped out completely apart from my Interceptor that nobody could reach, but that was enough because one of my other dice was a 3. I deployed it on the world I'd just left, warped it with my Interceptor, used the Curious move to put the Interceptor back and deployed for the win.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Rules are up for Dominion Adventures, including all the cards in the set.

e: Looks like tokens on piles still work if the pile is empty (and you can place tokens on already-empty piles), which is pretty good to know.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 18, 2015

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

elgarbo posted:

It's got table appeal that's for sure. The game is broken by an easily figured out strategy though that will surface in the first 10 or so plays but it's great until someone stumbles on it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mega64 posted:

e: Looks like tokens on piles still work if the pile is empty (and you can place tokens on already-empty piles), which is pretty good to know.

quote:

Champion Action + Duration (Max level Page)
+1 Action
For the rest of the game, when another player plays an Attack, it doesn't affect you, and when you play an Action, +1 Action.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

All super helpful opinions on Takenoko. Thanks a bunch.

Knowing that it's pretty, features pandas and isn't entirely awful will probably mean it gets a green light.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I didn't even notice the "When you play an action, +1 Action" part. Holy poo poo.

e: Now I want to hit someone's Champion with a Knight or Giant before they get to play it. :unsmigghh:

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 18, 2015

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
It didn't bother me much when I first saw them, but all the comma splices, in the reserve cards, really bug me, now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Poopy Palpy posted:

It didn't bother me much when I first saw them, but all the comma splices, in the reserve cards, really bug me, now.

Well, I didn't notice it....but now it bugs me too.

Champion does seem OP as hell...but by the time you get one to the table the game is gonna be nearly over anyway.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mega64 posted:

From the page:

quote:

Errata:
This game is perfect

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

quote:

Errata:

This game is perfect

I guess FFG probably puts this on all their game pages if there are no errata, but it seems like a very DXV attitude...

And man, there is some mad poo poo in there, not least that there are 6 players'-worth of support kit, which I think is the first time for Dominion?

Travellers seem like generally they'd be amazing if you ever get the chance to play the high ones but they're mostly a bit poo poo - the game's not often long enough to get through buying it, then upgrading it four times, THEN playing it, and the travellers don't do a lot (though they do do a bit) to slow the game down and allow people to slog up to Champions.

So Champions had better be crazy-good, because of how infrequently you'll ever get to play them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

thespaceinvader posted:

And man, there is some mad poo poo in there, not least that there are 6 players'-worth of support kit, which I think is the first time for Dominion?

The Prosperity and Seaside mats came in sets of 6 as well

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm surprised the "Place the +1 Card token on a supply" event costs 8 when even the +1 Action one is only six. Though on the other hand, it does change a chosen cantrip into Labs (and Labs into double Labs) and makes sifters more powerful.

I'm excited to get my copy soon.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Thing is, plentiful cards are usually more useful than plentiful actions - all the +action in the world doesn't help if you've run out of cards, whereas plenty of cards work if you've run out of actions (i.e. treasures, victory cards), aka there's a reason why Pearl Diver costs 2 and Lab costs 5...

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 18, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Poopy Palpy posted:

The times where it's actually bad grammar would bother me if not for the fact that the comma splices absolutely make rules arguments a nonissue. Transmogrify is an example of a card that sacrifices grammar to make the call effects absolutely clear (where they would otherwise be spliced between commas and it would be possible to misread the card).

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

So I played my first game of Quantum (3p) and was wondering if I was doing something wrong because that endgame bogged down haaaard. We were all down to our last cube to place, and it started to basically be a game of whack a mole, where the winner was eventually decided by someone failing a critical roll to stop someone else, which is a rather anticlimactic way of ending things. Was there something I was missing? Was there a clearer path to victory besides trying to drop that last cube on a planet before getting jumped by an army of 2s carrying 1s or being warped by 3s? It was a really fun game before that, but then the smash the leader thing happened and it devolved into a very meh experience.

This is a problem we've experienced as well. I think it comes up most in three player - unless someone is locked into a dominance strategy, everyone just gets consumed with balancing each other out in a weird stalemate. The problem is less pronounced in 4 player, and nonexistent in 2 player.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Mega64 posted:

lolling at the peasant card art.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mega64 posted:

Is that an expansion or standalone?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's an expansion. It requires either base Dominion, Intrigue, or the standalone Base Cards (though I don't recommend those unless you just want the fancy art).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

EvilChameleon posted:

What stories are those? And how do I figure out shipping? My German is, well, basically non-existent.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1305729/amazonde-many-great-deals

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Mega64 posted:

It's an expansion. It requires either base Dominion, Intrigue, or the standalone Base Cards (though I don't recommend those unless you just want the fancy art).

I recommend Base Cards very highly. Don't be like me and spend $20 plus shipping on sleeves for a Dominion expansion you don't even have yet because you've already got 3000 cards in $160 worth of sleeves. Buy a copy of Base Cards so you can bring in some fresh Estates when your old ones get worn.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Cool story from NPR on Magic's success

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2015...ontent=20150417

quote:

To many people at Wizards of the Coast, the company that created Magic, this was the dream. "People at the company wanted to push that side of it," says George "Skaff" Elias, a game designer at the company in Magic's early days. "Produce more cards. Produce rarer cards. Keep the print runs limited."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The new events are pretty nuts and allow for some crazy fast starts. Alms lets you open 4/4 (or, god forbid, a 5/4 open) and Ferry->Altar or Ferry->Goons could be hella good.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 18, 2015

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Broken Loose posted:

The times where it's actually bad grammar would bother me if not for the fact that the comma splices absolutely make rules arguments a nonissue. Transmogrify is an example of a card that sacrifices grammar to make the call effects absolutely clear (where they would otherwise be spliced between commas and it would be possible to misread the card).

It's generally fairly trivial to just rewrite a sentence to remove a comma splice and retain clarity. That being said, I can understand if they ran into space constraints.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

It's generally fairly trivial to just rewrite a sentence to remove a comma splice and retain clarity. That being said, I can understand if they ran into space constraints.

It's probably more of a combination of wanting to be concise, which is a big thing DVX shoots for when writing up cards, and the order of the text being important since all cards do their text top-down.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Replace every ", " with ". If you do," and the text remains unambiguous but doesn't look awful.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

But gets longer, on already text-heavy cards.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

thespaceinvader posted:

Dominion has had wordy cards before, all of which could have been shortened by ignoring English grammar. That's never been an issue before; why is it a problem here?

In fact, most of the Reserve cards would work fine it you deleted the comma and didn't put anything in its place. Coin of the Realm, Ratcatcher, Duplicate, Transmogrify, Royal Carriage, and Teacher would all be completely unambiguous without it, and Distant Lands and Wine Merchant already don't use it. The only card that's even arguably ambiguous without the comma is Guide, and even then you have to be squinting pretty drat hard to pretend it's letting you get a free +5 cards every turn forever as long as you don't call it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

thespaceinvader posted:

More text can be easier to parse if the additional text makes the sentences clearer.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I impulse ordered Dogs of War as the SUSD review prompted me to think "yeah, this game sounds great and I strongly considered it earlier and nearly bought it, so I'll just get it now"

then I got home and looked it up and realised it was a kickstarter with a ton of gameplay locked up as kickstarter exclusives, and that was why I hadn't bought it in the first place, despite thinking it seemed like a solid game that I'd love.

:ughh:

I'm generally a big fan of SUSD as partisan, entertaining opinion/ reviewers, but for them to miss this out entirely is a total pain in the arse.

Has anyone got Dogs of War? How easy is the exclusive stuff to proxy in?

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 18, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Supreme Court posted:

then I got home and looked it up and realised it was a kstarter with a ton of gameplay locked up as kickstarter exclusives, and that was why I hadn't bought it in the first place, despite thinking it seemed like a solid game that I'd love.

What do you mean by this? Are actual parts of the game only available as exclusives?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

StashAugustine posted:

What do you mean by this? Are actual parts of the game only available as exclusives?

Yep. Looks like 4/8 captains (I.e.player personalities with game long unique mechanics) at least, not sure how much else.

E: okay, looks like it's just two captains out of seven total, and that they'll be easy enough to proxy in. Everything else seems to just be backer only miniatures, which I don't really care about. Not nearly as bad as I feared, given the discussion on BGG that this game failed at retail due to too many kickstarter exclusives.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 18, 2015

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Decided to try out Tigris & Euphrates on ios to see if I wanted to pick up the upcoming FFG release. From what I can tell, it is a masterfully designed game, but I'm not planning on getting it. It reminds me a lot of Chess or Go or other high skill ceiling well designed games. I'm not denying it's a good game, but I just don't have the mind or the will to put the time in to get decent at the deeper strategy of it. I don't see my game group caring for that style, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Supreme Court posted:

Yep. Looks like 4/8 captains (I.e.player personalities with game long unique mechanics) at least, not sure how much else.

E: okay, looks like it's just two captains out of seven total, and that they'll be easy enough to proxy in. Everything else seems to just be backer only miniatures, which I don't really care about. Not nearly as bad as I feared, given the discussion on BGG that this game failed at retail due to too many kickstarter exclusives.

You were right the first time, it was four of eight. You're also right in that they're trivially easy to proxy - the abilities of all eight captains were given in identical art boxouts on the project page, so all you need to do is print those images.