Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Glad to see kills are still disproportionally rewarded

E: stupid loving gold flinging noobs

(Okay I actually got a "good job" from the enemy arty but :v: )

babby's first radley-walters medal

Haquer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

yaay posted:

I can't teamkill a flag carrier huddled in a corner refusing to do anything :cripes:

I do this intentionally to pad damage and carry games while enemy pubbie try to dive into me.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Haquer posted:

(Okay I actually got a "good job" from the enemy arty but :v: )

babby's first radley-walters medal
Grats on the shiny new medal!

I finally, FINALLY finished TD-15 with my Ferdinand the stupid thing doesn't even have the top gun. Ugh, I hate this thing.

>> REPLAY <<

At least I got my third female crew member.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 3, 2015

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

RanKizama posted:

Grats on the shiny new medal!

I finally, FINALLY finished TD-15 with my Ferdinand the stupid thing doesn't even have the top gun. Ugh, I hate this thing.

>> REPLAY <<

At least I got my third female crew member.

Wait did they lower it for TD-15? Could have sworn when I did it it was 4k.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

subhelios posted:

It was 4K previously. They lowered it last patch with a lot of the requirements for other missions.

Similarly, my last LT mission used to be cause X,XXX amount of damage by spotting but remain unspotted at the time the damage occurs. Mission was bullshit since passive scouting is a myth these days. Now it's cause damage to two enemy tanks by shooting their tracks or spotting them. Much easier. My current LT mission is "Kill an enemy SPG". :v:

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 3, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

M.C. McMic posted:

I've seen some really good advice here recently on getting better at tanks. One recurring suggestion is learning the maps and the different "plays" you can make. My question is: how do you learn the maps? Or what's the best way to learn the maps quickly? I wish there was some way I could just drive around on them in a private room to learn the terrain. I assume this isn't possible.
All maps follow some general guidelines: There are 3 main 'lanes' on each map: left side, right side, and straight through the middle (middle is very variable) and they're all fairly interconnected/open so you can flank or shoot at another 'lane' from any of them.

After that it depends on what type of tank you're driving. Heavy Tanks want to go and push/hold a single lane in spots that have cover from the others, Mediums want to hang out at good flanking/flank shot positions, TD's want sniper spots overlooking lanes (preferably without shooting friendlies in the back) and Arty wants to find a nice hidey hole they can rain death on people across the map.
Lights are either the most picky or the least interested in specific map points depending on how they scout. See what other lights are doing and try to imitate them if they're active scouting. Passive scouting you need to do your research. (I don't play lights but I tried them out and this was what I was forced to do.)

Once you've done all that you should apply your specific tanks style to wherever you've chosen to go. While I might go the same places in my Tiger as I do in my T-29 or IS I don't utilize the cover there the same way. Team composition and how high/low I am on the tiers also influenced my decisions (I'm a bit more aggressive when higher tier, more cautious when lower tier.)

Finally if you're on a map that's changed or you haven't seen before, keep the general guidelines in mind and just go somewhere to try it out. Experience is a big part especially since the game changes pretty frequently so outside sources of information tend to be unreliable.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Hah, an enemy Batchat who did 800 damage and blamed his team messaged me after the battle to try to brag about his stats. His Xbox stats.

Strange how he didn't try to brag about his pc version stats.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
That is one no-life, basement dwelling, hasn't seen pussy in eight years motherfucker right there.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

subhelios posted:

Yeah they did. It's still 8k for the Obj. 260 which I'm currently trying to figure out how to achieve. (T110E3 is good but I've never done 8k in it since it's slow and I tend to die in it)

RanKizama posted:

Similarly, my last LT mission used to be cause X,XXX amount of damage by spotting but remain unspotted at the time the damage occurs. Mission was bullshit since passive scouting is a myth these days. Now it's cause damage to two enemy tanks by shooting their tracks or spotting them. Much easier. My current LT mission is "Kill an enemy SPG". :v:

Agreed, it's much better. It's 8k for the Obj 260 which unfortunately means I pretty much need to get Malinovka or Prokhorovka with a team that actually shoots red tanks much less the two WT-100s I'm keeping lit up for 2 minutes straight :suicide:

I miss being able to passive scout on Steppes and Murovanka.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

M.C. McMic posted:

After 20 games in my Rudy, I have a 35% win rate. I love the tank but my teams don't.

this was me with the cromwell b, and then i played 50 more games and it's like 55%. time will even things out.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How does one MT-25?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Well I guess I've killed PINGU. Which clan should I join to kill during the mini-campaign?

Soulfucker posted:

Yeah they did. It's still 8k for the Obj. 260 which I'm currently trying to figure out how to achieve. (T110E3 is good but I've never done 8k in it since it's slow and I tend to die in it)

Agreed, it's much better. It's 8k for the Obj 260 which unfortunately means I pretty much need to get Malinovka or Prokhorovka with a team that actually shoots red tanks much less the two WT-100s I'm keeping lit up for 2 minutes straight :suicide:

I miss being able to passive scout on Steppes and Murovanka.

Lakeville is probably the best map for the LT-15 now since you can shoot their tanks. If you get the miracle where the enemy light goes valley and you take mid uncontested, you only need a couple teammates to actually shoot your spots and you can clean up the rest. 4k and 4k is easy to farm if you are lucky enough to hold mid. Obviously it's still luck based as hell.

BadLlama posted:

How does one MT-25?

Use the autoloader, shoot gold ammo, choose to have fun. You literally cannot damage many tanks, but sometimes you run into a RBWT who fired and shoot him 30 times.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 3, 2015

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Getting more XP when I lost compared to the winners made me laugh.

Also their Church 7 that I killed literally said "but I'm a tier 6 ._." when he rammed me full on to the front so I was putting shells through the bow gunner's hatch area and every single one penned

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

Lakeville is probably the best map for the LT-15 now since you can shoot their tanks. If you get the miracle where the enemy light goes valley and you take mid uncontested, you only need a couple teammates to actually shoot your spots and you can clean up the rest. 4k and 4k is easy to farm if you are lucky enough to hold mid. Obviously it's still luck based as hell.

Interesting, I knew you could scout Lakeville middle but I've never gotten a LT-15 worthy round out of it. Happen to have any replays of it?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

demonR6 posted:

Hey Juffo if you are playing on NA, BigHeadline and I are in alpha as well. We played a few rounds last night and our final match in T62's BH ripped the enemy team a new rear end in a top hat killing 8 of them laughing all the way to the bank. He claims he was shaking at the end when he was being stalked by an AMX and Scorpion who were circling him within spitting range trying to kill him but I doubt it because he was pretty clutch during the last few minutes of chaos.

I'd post the results page from the fight, but the watermarks from the in-garage portion makes me think they don't want you to. =/

Fronkey
Oct 20, 2008

Hellsau posted:

The Matilda's 2pdr doesn't do a lot of damage per shot because it puts out a shot every 2 seconds that has WAY more pen than anything at tier 4 or even 5. Hold left click on enemy tanks while slowly trundling toward them. Also tier 3s get oneshot by tier 5s and tier 4s get oneshot by tier 6s but then you start getting tanks with more HP. Also you shouldn't play this game you won't be happy once you become good enough to understand just how terrible the playerbase is.

I'm going to bow to your wisdom again.

I could have handled this game except for two things:
- Assholes running about with the Pz I c and that loving autocannon. It's ridiculous. I don't think I've ever destroyed one - the gun shoots too fast and hits too hard.
- Spotting and camouflage. One invisible tank telling another invisible tank exactly where I am, then exploding without seeing either of them is loving retarded.

Later fellas. If I download this again, punch me in the face.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd post the results page from the fight, but the watermarks from the in-garage portion makes me think they don't want you to. =/

I thought so too, but there was this line:

quote:

The Early Access phase is not restricted by a non-disclosure agreement, you are free to make, upload and spread any pictures and videos at your leisure!

Sadly, I took a picture of the t62's log, but I can't find the picture on my harddrive anymore.

Quoted from http://aw.my.com/us/news/general/introducing-early-access btw.

Edit: anyway, I'll join when I can, but work keeps me busy during those hours, so I only have the weekend and any chance they keep the servers up till 1am edt. Hopefully phase 2 will have longer hours.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fronkey posted:

- Assholes running about with the Pz I c and that loving autocannon. It's ridiculous. I don't think I've ever destroyed one - the gun shoots too fast and hits too hard.
- Spotting and camouflage. One invisible tank telling another invisible tank exactly where I am, then exploding without seeing either of them is loving retarded.

are you playing alone?

don't play alone.

if you can't convince an IRL friend to play with you try goons but never play WOT alone

it's a seriously good and addictive game if you're with friends but i can't even do victories of the day alone anymore.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

I thought so too, but there was this line:

They're saved under C:\Users\[admin name]\Saved Games\ArmoredWarfare\User

I figure tonight I'll be able to make the 15k I'll need to buy the T-64 and get a bit of experience grinding it stock before the phase ends, unless tonight was the last night since it's technically the third now. If so, then ~welp~.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 3, 2015

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
anyone else liking Domination? Since I am so far away from any Tier 10 tanks, I am loving being equal to everyone else around me for once. the match making sucks in this game when your tier 5 or 6 is up against 7 and 8 tiers. no fun at all in that scenario. I am really liking the French tier 10 in domination. I can actually kill stuff without being 1 shot at the start of the match.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're saved under C:\Users\[admin name]\Saved Games\ArmoredWarfare\User

I figure tonight I'll be able to make the 15k I'll need to buy the T-64 and get a bit of experience grinding it stock before the phase ends, unless tonight was the last night since it's technically the third now. If so, then ~welp~.

Sadly, I'm still finishing getting all the parts on my t62, and I have work again tonight, so oh well for me. I still love the scorpion though. That thing is hilarious since you just rocket around slinging he at everything. And most of the things you see don't have the armor so the he pens for full damage. I was hoping to try out arty by the end of this phase, but that doesn't look to be happening.

Interesting location for it, but thanks, found the screenshot I was looking for.

Behold the placement of the t62's log.

In other news, the tier 7 AW vehicles were announced. The first gen abrams, leo2, t80, and challenger 1 arrive. I'm really curious what tanks they are going to toss in tier 10.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

In other news, the tier 7 AW vehicles were announced. The first gen abrams, leo2, t80, and challenger 1 arrive. I'm really curious what tanks they are going to toss in tier 10.

Isn't tier 8 max?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JuffoWup posted:

I'm really curious what tanks they are going to toss in tier 10.

XAXAXA ARMATA OF GLORIOUS RUSSIA!

Maybe something along the lines of M1(IP) -> M1A1 -> M1A1HA/HC -> M1A2

Or they could spoil the fun and max at 8.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

The Armata's already been announced as a T10. I'm sure the Leopard 2 will get the 2A7 or 2A7+ variant, while the US will get the M1A2 SEP with a TUSK upgrade package available. They already said long ago that the Mary Sue tank of AW will be the Leopard 2, since they claim it's easier to model for, so it gets all the special goodies first.

There's also the chance we might get the K2 Black Panther if they have to pad things out.

Obviously just to annoy people this needs to be a mid-tier Russian "bear guy" arty piece: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2S7_Pion

And if only this were an option on high-tier scouts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARTHUR_%28radar%29

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 3, 2015

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Fronkey posted:

It's probably for the better. Playing computer games in general is a terrible and tragic way of wasting your life imho.

However, if you do want to waste your life on games, tanks is a p good option imho. I can see the frustration regarding the pz1cs and spotting, but you can deal with both things. There might not be a quickfix to the pz1cs, but just getting better at the game usually fixes that whole problem. In general, just moving out of the lower tiers is a good idea. meta is utterly hosed/random/nonexistant in t5 and down.

To be honest I sort of think the game is hosed at t8 and below, and for new players t8 probably feels even more hosed considering that you are facing t10s

Spotting is obviously frustrating too, but that is mainly due to the fact that WG for some reason doesn't want to explain how it works in a clear way to the playerbase. Spotting (and camo) is probably the most important mechanic in the game by far, and understanding how it works is key to playing tanks. Read up on it on the wiki, install the dynamic spotting circle/render distance square mod (essential mods imho) and get a vague idea of how far different tanks see and at what ranges they can remain hidden. basically -> http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Visibility

The moment you begin understanding the spotting mechanics, you can start actually enjoying the game + getgud.

Chaosprime
Sep 30, 2014
I'm finally sorta getting the hang of the WZ-120, as much as it still confuses me. Was wondering if the top engine is worth researching. It gives 20hp more (600 vs 580), same chance of fire (12%) and same weight (750kg). Seems like a large investment for a tiny gain.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
How do I get rid of thesr CTF tanks? They end up at the front of my tank list and not even primary tanks go ahead of them.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Zephyrine posted:

How do I get rid of thesr CTF tanks? They end up at the front of my tank list and not even primary tanks go ahead of them.

Get xvm and make more rows?

The CTF tanks go away on their own whenever WG gets rid of domination (play the loving CTF it's fun)

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Haquer posted:

Get xvm and make more rows?

The CTF tanks go away on their own whenever WG gets rid of domination (play the loving CTF it's fun)

It will be fun when they add V2 mobile heat seeking missile launchers as theT10 artillery unit for CTF :colbert:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Zephyrine posted:

It will be fun when they add V2 mobile heat seeking missile launchers as theT10 artillery unit for CTF :colbert:

Idiots already camp enough as it is, gently caress arty

It's supposed to be balls to the wall CTF not normal camping bullshit :colbert:

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Atal Vataman posted:

The moment you begin understanding the spotting mechanics, you can start actually enjoying the game + getgud.

Regarding spotting mechanics and the link you provided... the wiki says:

quote:

Spotting Range - the game mechanics limitation to spotting, i.e. "lighting up" a target yourself. Maximum is 445m.

I assume this means that the highest base spotting range available on any given tank is 445m, but this can be augmented by optics/binoculars/crew skills, correct?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

M.C. McMic posted:

I assume this means that the highest base spotting range available on any given tank is 445m, but this can be augmented by optics/binoculars/crew skills, correct?

That's the cap including everything. The way view range interacts with camo means that more view range is always better though. If you're at the cap of 445m view range and there's a tank with 0 camo at 445m you'll spot him. If he has camo rating then you'd need to be over cap to spot him. It also makes you better at defeating camo at shorter ranges.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

kemikalkadet posted:

That's the cap including everything. The way view range interacts with camo means that more view range is always better though. If you're at the cap of 445m view range and there's a tank with 0 camo at 445m you'll spot him. If he has camo rating then you'd need to be over cap to spot him. It also makes you better at defeating camo at shorter ranges.

That's even more confusing to me. How can you be "over cap"? Cap = maximum.

Is it kind of like... you can only spot stuff out to 445m. However, additional spotting gives you some "chance to overcome camo" bonus?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Yes.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

M.C. McMic posted:

View range is unlimited, there's no technical maximum and it's possible to get it very high (over 500m). That said, the server will never send you data about a tank further than 445m away (unless you're in an arty obviously). Any view range you have in excess of 445m goes to negating the camo of tanks closer than 445m to you. Your base spotting range is the number listed, assuming you have a fully trained commander (it's less if you don't). It is then augmented by equipment (binocs, optics) or by crew skills (recon, situational awareness).

Not sure which wiki you were on, but this one has a pretty good section on Spotting and Camo: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#View_Range

There's also this site, which will let you play around with various tanks and setups to get an actual idea of when you should be spotting something and when it will be an invisitank: http://www.wotinfo.net/en/camo-calculator

Pretty sure the highest base view range is the M48 Patton, the american tier 10 medium, at 420m. Most high tier mediums or lights will have 390m-410m. Honestly like every tier 10 except for TDs (which just had their viewrange nerfed a bit ago) has 400m or drat close to it. They've been talking about overhauling this for quite a while now, but who knows when they'll get to it.

You should note that the camo values you'll find anywhere are player estimates, since WG doesn't ever publish camo values for some reason.

frood fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 3, 2015

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

M.C. McMic posted:

No there's a hard cap on how far you can spot regardless of you actual view range. My 140 with 3 skill crew and optics has more than max VW. What that does allow is for the tank to eat increase the ability to spot high camo targets a bit easier and at further range increasing the ability for either you or your team to deal damage faster and safer. There is a site that you can play around with VW amounts and camo values that will show the delta between spotting and being spotted.

E: FB so hard

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Chaosprime posted:

I'm finally sorta getting the hang of the WZ-120, as much as it still confuses me. Was wondering if the top engine is worth researching. It gives 20hp more (600 vs 580), same chance of fire (12%) and same weight (750kg). Seems like a large investment for a tiny gain.

I was wondering the same thing. I decided to put off the engines until after I get the top gun because it moves pretty well with just the stock engine and upgraded tracks. There didn't seem to be a huge difference between the stock engine and the top one.

As far as getting the hang of it, I'm still figuring it out. I am trying to drive it like the Type-59, but it's turret/hull doesn't seem as bouncy against same tier tanks. Maybe everybody is just better at aiming at it's weak points than they are a Type-59's. Plus, I do dumb things like drive out in the open in front of obvious choke points and am totally surprised when a TD decloaks and hits me for 800 damage.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

TracerM17 posted:

I was wondering the same thing. I decided to put off the engines until after I get the top gun because it moves pretty well with just the stock engine and upgraded tracks. There didn't seem to be a huge difference between the stock engine and the top one.

Sometimes you will see module "upgrades" that look identical to your current module, or have very little gain. These things often have better stats which you can't see, such as faster firing rate on turrets. With engines a pretty common one will be that the module has more hit points, so it's harder to knock out.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, the thing about Chinese engines is that they upgrade engine health more than horsepower yield. It's like they were designed to use the speed limiter override as a tactical asset, for what it's worth.

The Wheezy 20's LS to LT engine upgrade increases it from 260 to 360, a fancy 40 percent extra and double that of the stock motor.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

The type 64 looks nice and handles surprisingly well. What's the downside?