Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism
I’m a busy ‘ham on the go, what’s the most mobile friendly way of doing army lists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Venom Soag posted:

I’m a busy ‘ham on the go, what’s the most mobile friendly way of doing army lists?

Battlescribe by far. People complain about it, but as long as you can wait a few days after a new book it is fine.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I personally think Quartermaster is enough better than Battlescribe that it’s worth paying for.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I personally think Quartermaster is enough better than Battlescribe that it’s worth paying for.

Agreed.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Yeah same. There isnt any annoying ads, and it doesnt randomly decide to crash on me. It's also easy to edit templates if you find something is wrong, or if you are panascope.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

IPhone elites, itt

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Between quartermaster and LensFX I’d argue that an iPhone is a necessary investment for any serious ham.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I hope HH 1.0 gets rid of points b/c addition is hard

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

I like this guy a lot and look forward to taking him more in the future:

Does it have a name? It needs a name.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ghazk posted:

Does it have a name? It needs a name.

Not yet! Maybe Certus Fedelia? “Definitely Loyal”

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
It needs a base. :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Played a game tonight!

List:
2500 Knight
Legiones Astartes

Forge Lord: combi-weapon; Terranic greatsword; rad grenades; boarding shield; Cyber-familiar 145

10 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; Calibanite war blade); 9 Tactical Space Marines 145
Rhino 35

10 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; Calibanite war blade); 9 Tactical Space Marines 145
Rhino 35

Mortis Dreadnought: 2 twin-linked autocannons 135

9 Veteran Space Marines: Veteran Sergeant (artificer armour; combi-grenade with stasis shells; Calibanite war blade); Machine Killers; 8 Veteran Space Marines; 7 × combi-weapon; 3 × power weapon; melta bombs; plasma gun 323

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron
Javelin Attack Speeder: pintle-mounted multi-melta; 2 × hunter-killer missiles 75

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod 115

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought Talon
Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought: Leviathan siege drill; grav-flux bombard 295
Dreadnought Drop Pod 100

4 Jetbike Sky Slayers: plasma cannons 270

War Machine Detachment
Cerastus Knight-Acheron 415

2,233 points
Not enough swords. Not polite enough.
Congrats on the win

I like this guy a lot and look forward to taking him more in the future:

Needs a sweet manticore on it somewhere.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 9, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Not yet! Maybe Certus Fedelia? “Definitely Loyal”

This is very good. Especially if you are a righteous Luthor boy like a True DA Man.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

Congrats on the win

There’s a first time for everything.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

I put together a list of everything I want, minus the storm eagle and I’m like wow, that’s a lot of guys, what’s this going to be, 2000pts? 2500?

Not even 1500. This game is something else.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Venom Soag posted:

I put together a list of everything I want, minus the storm eagle and I’m like wow, that’s a lot of guys, what’s this going to be, 2000pts? 2500?

Poast list. Also once you’ve played a couple times I’m confident you’ll want lots of other things. Wanting things is a cornerstone of the hobby.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's pretty dang balanced around 1850 points, but it's designed for games around 2500 where you can have something for most situations and take your toys too. 30k struggles with standard games below 1,000 (unless you use an alternative FOC). If you want fun small games there's always VisV and Zone Mortalis.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 9, 2017

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
I've found that 3000-4000 points are the sweet spot for me. Although sub 1000 point games can be a fun opportunity to try some really douchey gimmick lists like 20 Inductii + a Chaplain + an Apothecary in a Spartan. 120 S6 attacks w/ re-rolls is hilariously effective.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Venom Soag posted:

Basic infantry is cheaper in 30k than 40k. 225 gets a full 20-man tactical squad, for example. They've got a few additional options, but that's the basic unit sorted. Popular wisdom is to not load up on them. Basic bolter guys can do some good work in this game, but they need a lot of support. You're not going to accomplish much without anti-armor, characters, dedicated melee units, transports, etc. Pick a legion and a Rite of War and build your first lists around that. Work towards it first and then expand your army however you want.

As an example, I play Dark Angels and am focusing on their Ironwing Rite of War first. That means my army will be entirely mechanized with tons of transports, tanks, and dreadnoughts. I started with a core of basic infantry to get into the game off of the Calth box and later Prospero. It was bland, but it got me playing. I later came up with 2000 and 2500 point Ironwing lists to build towards. I've added rhinos, predators, and more to that basic infantry core as I've slowly gotten them. Later, once I'm comfortably far enough, I plan on working on the Dark Angels' other Rite of War, the Ravenwing. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of overlap there, but it plays like an entirely different army so I won't ever feel the need for a second legion. One is more than enough.
:shepspends:

Post your list and we can give you some more specific advice. This thread tends to be pretty good when it's active.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Poast list. Also once you’ve played a couple times I’m confident you’ll want lots of other things. Wanting things is a cornerstone of the hobby.

Emperor’s Children
Legiones Astartes

Champion: artificer armour; plasma pistol 110

Praetor: Rite of War (The Maru Skara); plasma pistol; melta bombs 120

20 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (power weapon; melta bombs); 19 Tactical Space Marines 240

10 Tactical Support Marines: Tactical Support Sergeant (melta bombs); 9 Tactical Support Marines; plasma guns 330

5 Palatine Warriors: Palatine Prefector; 4 Palatine Warriors 135
Rhino: extra armour 40

5 Terminators: Terminator Sergeant (combi-weapon; Phoenix power spear; grenade harness); 4 Terminators; Terminator armour (Tartaros); 4 × pair of lightning claws 257

Apothecarion Detachment
Apothecary: augury scanner 50

3 Outriders: Outrider Sergeant (Phoenix power spear); 3 × power weapon; melta bombs 165

1,497 points

Easily expanded by adding a storm eagle and a Contemptor, but this is what I wanted to be the core of the army.

A lot of it is just “which models do I think look really cool” but also trying to stick to what the EC use.

No dickbikes.

Edit: outrider sergeant isn’t meant to have the power spear AND a power weapon. That would be silly.

Venom Soag fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 9, 2017

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
The Maru Skara has utterly turbofucked me in the past and is a great RoW, but some of those squads are just free kills for your opponents- I don’t actually hate 10 guys on foot to plop in cover near an objective occasionally, but 3 outriders without either more bodies or characters can’t really hurt anything. Likewise, even outflanky termies on foot won’t be threatening much when there’s only 5 of them.

Things you should come to expect in 30k:

-fuckin terrifying artillery parks. Think quad mortars+Scorpius. You counter them with outflanking and drop pods
-scary poo poo podding in. Leviathan dreads are common but also dreadclaws with seekers or combi vets
-goddamn primarchs
-full Spartans, loaded with bullshit

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Yeah I figured there was probably a bunch of easy targets in that.

So,

- drop the outriders
- add a storm eagle to carry the terminators
- ???

I feel that Maru skara means I should take more fast attack options, am I going to have to just bite the bullet and take the dickbikes?

OR should I take a larger squad of outriders, maybe throw a character in there? Put either my praetor or champion on a bike?

Also other than the outriders, how’s the unit size?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Venom Soag posted:

Emperor’s Children
Legiones Astartes

Champion: artificer armour; plasma pistol 110

Praetor: Rite of War (The Maru Skara); plasma pistol; melta bombs 120

20 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (power weapon; melta bombs); 19 Tactical Space Marines 240

10 Tactical Support Marines: Tactical Support Sergeant (melta bombs); 9 Tactical Support Marines; plasma guns 330

5 Terminators: Terminator Sergeant (combi-weapon; Phoenix power spear; grenade harness); 4 Terminators; Terminator armour (Tartaros); 4 × pair of lightning claws 257

Apothecarion Detachment

3 Outriders: Outrider Sergeant (Phoenix power spear); 3 × power weapon; melta bombs 165

1,497 points

Easily expanded by adding a storm eagle and a Contemptor, but this is what I wanted to be the core of the army.

A lot of it is just “which models do I think look really cool” but also trying to stick to what the EC use.

No dickbikes.

Edit: outrider sergeant isn’t meant to have the power spear AND a power weapon. That would be silly.

You're really going to want a delivery mechanism for both the Terminators, and the Plasma Support Squad. Until you can afford that, I'd drop the Terminators; with a squad of Tacticals able to put out 80 Bolter shots in a single shooting phase, the Terminators are going to die before they do any good, since they have to walk up the board. I've played Terminators on foot many times, and thet never seem to do anything other than die to a hail of Bolter fire.

I'd pitch the Terminators, then use the points to buy a second, smaller Tactical Squad, and a ride for the Plasma boiz, then fill out the Outrider squad as you can afford.

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 9, 2017

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Generally when I’m list building I want my units to do one of the following:

1. Be able to consistently wipe a 10 man 3+ squad
2. Be able to consistently kill 10 wounds worth of 2+/4++ infantry
3. Be able to consistently crack AV14
4. Be able to consistently threaten 3HP of damage against AV11

If a unit doesn’t have the ability to do one of those, it had better be an assault transport or able to claim objectives. One of the reasons vet squads are often considered the consensus best unit in the game is that you can configure them to do any of those things while also claiming objectives. It’s also important to remember that generally in HH things have way more damage output than durability, so having lots of mobility and damage output is usually better than durability, unless you’re talking about an honest to god brick like a dracosan, spartan or caestus.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah your reserves stuff needs to be relevant the turn it comes on. Otherwise you're talking about not being useful for nearly half the game.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Emperor’s Children
Legiones Astartes

Champion: plasma pistol; Phoenix power spear 120

Praetor: Rite of War (The Maru Skara); Phoenix power spear; melta bombs 125

Apothecarion Detachment

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon
Contemptor Dreadnought: twin-linked volkite culverin 190

Storm Eagle Assault Gunship: hull-mounted twin-linked multi-melta; 2 wing-mounted twin-linked lascannon; armoured ceramite; extra armour 290

6 Outriders 180

1,997 points

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

One last thing: you need an additional compulsory troops choice. The Tactical Support Squad has the Support special rule, which means it can't fulfill the mandatory troops choice used in the FOC.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
To add to the dog pile- think of Maru Skara as a 1, 2 punch type of army. So for example, you have an enemy spartan. Your first punch is a lightning automatically coming in turn 2 and popping it. Your follow up punch is a seeker squad that marked the contents for death that also automatically came onto the table turn 2 and shot at the death star inside with x10 combi weapons. That's what makes Maru Skara so good.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

panascope posted:

One last thing: you need an additional compulsory troops choice. The Tactical Support Squad has the Support special rule, which means it can't fulfill the mandatory troops choice used in the FOC.

Ffffffffffffffuck.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

BULBASAUR posted:

To add to the dog pile- think of Maru Skara as a 1, 2 punch type of army. So for example, you have an enemy spartan. Your first punch is a lightning automatically coming in turn 2 and popping it. Your follow up punch is a seeker squad that marked the contents for death that also automatically came onto the table turn 2 and shot at the death star inside with x10 combi weapons. That's what makes Maru Skara so good.

I need to think on this. I’ve onlyJUST started collecting/painting 30k so it’ll be like 6 months before I actually play a game. But I’ll work it out. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Venom Soag posted:

I need to think on this. I’ve onlyJUST started collecting/painting 30k so it’ll be like 6 months before I actually play a game. But I’ll work it out. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Yeah, Maru Skara is really good but you really need to put the points in to make it nasty. Your Tacticools need to be able to grab objectives and hunker down to survive the first turn, and when your other stuff automatically comes in turn 2 it has to totally savage the other army.

I have all my tacs in Rhinos to give them some mobility for cheap, but I can see a 20 man blob for parking on an objective in your deployment.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
One other thing, ditch the Phoenix Spear on the Praetor and give him a Paragon Blade instead. Instant Death on 6s plus at initiative AP2 is too good to overlook.

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 9, 2017

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
You can even model it as a spear!

Also, if you’re getting started with a calth box I’d consider building up your army in phases- maybe start with a pride of the legion list (or the delegatus specific RoW) since calth makes a really decent one without needing to add much besides maybe a transport for the terminators, and then start accumulating the assault transports and hard-hitting bullshit you’ll want with maru skara. If you bling out your tac marines a little no one will care if sometimes they’re regular troops and sometimes they’re vets.

Do you have opponents or a place to play? I was able to ramp up nicely by actually playing with some thread regulars, we started with VisV games, then played 2v2 games where we took 1k or 1.5k lists, and now it’s two years later and I have 6000 points of painted DA with another 1500 or so to go :shepspends:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Venom Soag posted:

Ffffffffffffffuck.
There are a lot of little rules scattered around like that. Without any Rite of War modifications, only tactical squads, assault squads, and breachers are allowed as compulsory troops. Support squads, recon squads, etc. can only be taken once those slots are filled. This isn't that big of a limitation though. A ton of RoWs change this and there are a lot of legion-specific ones involving their unique units too.

I highly recommend tracking down copies of the two legion red books. Forge World is even bundling them together right now if you want physical copies. One is the generic legion list and the other has the legion-specific rules, units, RoWs, etc. Some legions aren't included yet, but Emperor's Children are definitely in. The idea with this system is that Forge World can keep the game up to date much easier than relying on black book releases. They've iterated once already and fixed a lot of issues, but there are still a couple of units that need some love. Destroyers :smith: Emperor's Children got a pretty big overhaul this time around and are better off than they were before.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

You can even model it as a spear!

Also, if you’re getting started with a calth box I’d consider building up your army in phases- maybe start with a pride of the legion list (or the delegatus specific RoW) since calth makes a really decent one without needing to add much besides maybe a transport for the terminators, and then start accumulating the assault transports and hard-hitting bullshit you’ll want with maru skara. If you bling out your tac marines a little no one will care if sometimes they’re regular troops and sometimes they’re vets.

Do you have opponents or a place to play? I was able to ramp up nicely by actually playing with some thread regulars, we started with VisV games, then played 2v2 games where we took 1k or 1.5k lists, and now it’s two years later and I have 6000 points of painted DA with another 1500 or so to go :shepspends:

I actually haven’t started with the Calth box but with just buying the elites choices I wanted off forgeworld, going to get some calth marine sprues and upgrade kits soon.

I’m currently living in Melbourne but might be moving to Sydney incredibly soon, so I haven’t started looking around for people and clubs in either city until I know whether I’m moving. I think there are 30k goons in both cities though so I know I have a good potentially not horrible place to start.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Buy all your models before you move here because there's no way in hell you'll be able to afford any afterwards :smithicide:

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

adamantium|wang posted:

Buy all your models before you move here because there's no way in hell you'll be able to afford any afterwards :smithicide:

I’m trying to set up buying the storm eagle before anyone requires me to start putting money aside for more serious things.

Also gently caress Sydney rental prices.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
A bunch of people have been asking me for a tutorial on how to do my deredeo.

Do you like the gorget or should be removed?

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

A bunch of people have been asking me for a tutorial on how to do my deredeo.

Do you like the gorget or should be removed?

DereDeredeododo.

Bulbasaur, were you the one who replaced the autocannon barrels with brass rods, or was that some other goon? Post pics again if so! I keep looking at my dodo wishing the guns were more straight, which no amount of hot water seems to get exactly right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I did that for my contemptor. You can definitely do it with your dodo too: