Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Yeah it was a code you had to enter on the special features dvd, which otherwise only contained like 35 minutes of content iirc.

The only reason I remember this is because my mother, who is in the politest sense "film challenged", was obsessed with this film and once she noticed the hidden codes stayed up an entire night rewatching the film in original order and chronological order and watching all the various special features until I found her bleary eyed the next morning as though on an all night drug binge proudly proclaiming she finally understood the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I just learned that audio commentary actually started back in the 80s. I bought The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp by Criterion on Blu-Ray and it had commentary that had originally been on the Laserdisc release from the mid 80s. I saw this "Recorded 1986" and did a double take. No one I knew growing up had Laserdisc. The only time I saw it in the wild was in sophmore biology in 2004-2005. Long after it was a dead format.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Skoll posted:

Speaking of VHS, let's have a look at a 17 year old thread on Ars Technica where they ponder if DVD will ever replace VHS:

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1073494

quote:

It is conceivable (although not very probable in the near future) that someday, the fundamental media distribution structure will change radically.

Imagine replacing all your clunky, deteriorating tapes, ROMs, and assorted media with a broadband Internet connection, a hardware decoder, and a liscense agreement. That's not too different than cable or satellite TV, except now instead of broadcasting, your provider narrowcasts directly to you, on demand.

I'm not saying that's the best thing that could happen to media distribution, but it's not at all unlikely. Someday, the argument for DVD may be "Buy your movies while they can still be purchased."

:eyepop:

quote:

HD-DVD will replace DVD in about 5 to 10 years. This is when HDTV penetration should be semi decent. HD-DVD players will be backwards compatible with current DVD discs. So, DVD will likely be the medium of choice for a while, unless some radical new technology comes out of nowhere between now and then.

:popeye:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I just learned that audio commentary actually started back in the 80s. I bought The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp by Criterion on Blu-Ray and it had commentary that had originally been on the Laserdisc release from the mid 80s. I saw this "Recorded 1986" and did a double take. No one I knew growing up had Laserdisc. The only time I saw it in the wild was in sophmore biology in 2004-2005. Long after it was a dead format.

As late as 1997 Kevin Smith was infamous for starting his Laserdisc commentary track for Chasing Amy with a hearty "gently caress DVD"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Barudak posted:

The only reason I remember this is because my mother, who is in the politest sense "film challenged", was obsessed with this film and once she noticed the hidden codes stayed up an entire night rewatching the film in original order and chronological order and watching all the various special features until I found her bleary eyed the next morning as though on an all night drug binge proudly proclaiming she finally understood the movie.

Your mom kicks rear end.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

As late as 1997 Kevin Smith was infamous for starting his Laserdisc commentary track for Chasing Amy with a hearty "gently caress DVD"

Funny cause I own all his movies on DVD. I think I only had Clerks and Mallrats on VHS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Barudak posted:

Why did he hate DVD?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Why did he hate DVD?

My understanding is the DVD versions of the time used different masters of his films, with Laserdisc being the Criterion Collection version, so the DVD would have issues like cutting off the tops and bottoms of his movies and other weirdness.

Amusingly, that very commentary track was used for the eventual Criterion Collection version on DVD.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Format wars circa 1987 when Big Black grudgingly released Atomizer on CD

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What were the available formats back then and what were their positions? Records on their gradual way out, CDs on their way in, Tapes still a decade from losing relevancy, and 8-tracks just kinda clinging on?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Laserdisc had all sorts of cool poo poo.

Digital 5.1 tracks, 1080i High Def MUSE Laserdisc (well ok 1035i but still), commentary, chapters, special features

if you were used to vhs it must have been sorta mindblowing to have a 5.1 surround sound setup at home

for some reason this is like the best video of the MUSE laserdisc format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdrivFiaPBc

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Don't put down Cliffhanger, that movie owned. John Lithgow killed it.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Skoll posted:

Don't put down Cliffhanger, that movie owned. John Lithgow killed it.

nah im not

what i meant was that youtube video is the best example of the muse system i could find on youtube, i didn't see any direct captures or whatever

edit - u all should go look up how much muse laserdisc stuff is selling for these days.

Samuel L. ACKSYN has a new favorite as of 07:19 on Jul 30, 2017

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What were the available formats back then and what were their positions? Records on their gradual way out, CDs on their way in, Tapes still a decade from losing relevancy, and 8-tracks just kinda clinging on?

8-tracks were mostly clinging on through mail order catalogs and truck stops as incredibly cheap and cheesy compilation tapes of covers of popular songs, but they were basically dead by that point. The last 8-track released was a Fleetwood Mac tape in 1988, iirc. I think the same was mostly true for reel to reel stuff, though on the more expensive side.

Digital Audio Tape/DAT launched in 1987, but that was a losing battle with record companies so it never went anywhere.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Laserdisc had all sorts of cool poo poo.

Digital 5.1 tracks, 1080i High Def MUSE Laserdisc (well ok 1035i but still), commentary, chapters, special features

if you were used to vhs it must have been sorta mindblowing to have a 5.1 surround sound setup at home

for some reason this is like the best video of the MUSE laserdisc format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdrivFiaPBc

Supposedly, and this is likely audiophile nonsense, the 5.1 tracks on laserdiscs sound better than the later DVD and blu-ray releases.

The reasoning is that:
  • The digital tracks on laserdiscs had higher bitrates than DVD (this is actually true outside of a handful of very early DVD releases, however it's not true for blu-ray)
  • Since laserdisc 5.1 mixes could only be used with a surround sound system and cannot automatically downmix to stereo by the player, these surround sound mixes were designed around surround sound. Once DVD came on the scene, its more likely that the same mix was used for both releases.
  • Since these movies were from the early days of digital surround sound in movie theaters, supposedly these laserdisc releases are using the same theatrical mixes. There's no proof that this is true.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Steve Albini (Big Black founder) hated what he saw as a threat to independent record labels and the potential death of vinyl because CDs were taking over. 8 tracks were long dead - hence the title of the record as a comment about chasing the newest technology

This is what I remember from when the CD was released :corsair:

Cat Hassler has a new favorite as of 08:28 on Jul 30, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TotalLossBrain posted:

That's because it was a four-part made for TV movie series. Each was about 90 minutes long I think. Some Gary Sinise's early work.

The movie was average, mainly due to the limitations of TV, but it had a good cast. Gary Sinise, Ozzie Davis, Ruby Dee, Jamie Sheridan, Matt Frewer, Miguel Ferrara.

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Jul 30, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

The best Kevin Smith commentary was the guest one he did for Roadhouse.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Rules of Attraction had the best DVD commentary. There's one where they lock Carrot Top in a room and force him to watch it, and it's his best comedic work by a mile. There's also one by Ron Jeremy.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Date Movie has a commentary by two critics who spend the entire time ripping it apart.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cojawfee posted:

Why did he hate DVD?

He was also a Laserdisc collector. He lost his collection in a flood before he started filming Clerks.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
And before the ability to put video files of decent resolution onto a hard drive was a thing, laserdisc was one way early video editors could access files fast enough.

The Edit Droid was one attempt to make a laserdisc based editing system but the hardware limits of the time scuppered it.

Laserdiscs weren't cheap to master so the format wasn't widely adopted beyond smaller projects like commercials.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
For a long time LD was the only way to see a film that wasn't in current release any way other than in pan and scan. Once DVDs came along you frequently got flippy discs with p&s (`full screen') on one side and letterboxed on the other, although early on rental versions were often just pan and scan, and it really wasn't until well into the 2000s that letterboxing became the default/expected format.

If you weren't around before ubiquitous widescreen you just don't know how bonkers a lot of films (like the Sergio Leone Westerns) looked pan and scanned, and therefore how loving amazing watching a LD was, even independent of the better resolution and sound quality compared to a broadcast signal or VHS.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And you had to buy an absolutely enormous TV in order for a letterboxed movie to look good on it. Big rear projection fuckers for your den. A 4:3 screen looks ridiculous at that size nowadays, but that's what a "home theater" setup meant.

I still remember seeing the first flat panel plasma big screen TVs on display in Fry's. $15,999

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Randaconda posted:

The movie was average, mainly due to the limitations of TV, but it had a good cast. Gary Sinise, Ozzie Davis, Ruby Dee, Jamie Sheridan, Matt Frewer, Miguel Ferrara.

You forgot Mr Hand. For shame. M O O N, that spells Ray Walston.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChesterJT posted:

You forgot Mr Hand. For shame. M O O N, that spells Ray Walston.

I did. :smith: Dude from Coach that played Tom was good in it, as well.

and Laura Sangiacomo was pretty decent.

The only person out and out terrible was Molly Ringwald.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

SubG posted:

For a long time LD was the only way to see a film that wasn't in current release any way other than in pan and scan. Once DVDs came along you frequently got flippy discs with p&s (`full screen') on one side and letterboxed on the other, although early on rental versions were often just pan and scan, and it really wasn't until well into the 2000s that letterboxing became the default/expected format.

If you weren't around before ubiquitous widescreen you just don't know how bonkers a lot of films (like the Sergio Leone Westerns) looked pan and scanned, and therefore how loving amazing watching a LD was, even independent of the better resolution and sound quality compared to a broadcast signal or VHS.

This was the worst. Someone buys you a DVD but it's the loving full screen version. The terminology was poo poo, and made people think every widescreen movie was cutting off the top and bottom.

Also bad was having an early we widescreen tv and someone set it to zoom in on 4:3 stuff so it would fill the whole screen. I'm glad all that poo poo is over now.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Also bad was having an early we widescreen tv and someone set it to zoom in on 4:3 stuff so it would fill the whole screen. I'm glad all that poo poo is over now.
I don't know if this is over yet. Basically every TV I see in a waiting area (work cafeteria, doctor/dentist office, etc) is showing a 4:3 SD broadcast stretched to fill the screen.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Data Graham posted:

And you had to buy an absolutely enormous TV in order for a letterboxed movie to look good on it. Big rear projection fuckers for your den. A 4:3 screen looks ridiculous at that size nowadays, but that's what a "home theater" setup meant.

I still remember seeing the first flat panel plasma big screen TVs on display in Fry's. $15,999

My grandpa never owned a TV larger than 20" or so, so he insisted on P&S. Of course he usually recorded his movies from terrestrial broadcast so most of them were anyway.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Randaconda posted:

I did. :smith: Dude from Coach that played Tom was good in it, as well.

and Laura Sangiacomo was pretty decent.

The only person out and out terrible was Molly Ringwald.

I thought Parker Lewis was poo poo as well.

Matt Frewer though :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

This was the worst. Someone buys you a DVD but it's the loving full screen version. The terminology was poo poo, and made people think every widescreen movie was cutting off the top and bottom.

It didn't help that there were people out there who were actually trying to agitate against widescreen/letterboxing and even HDTV in general because it was "cheating the customer" by cutting off parts of the screen.

Can't believe some of the sites from that whole skirmish are still up: http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ussdefiant/rebuttal.html

"Lettershlocking" :jerkbag:

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 17:31 on Jul 30, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Today I took my ten year old son here:

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/

And it was loving great. They had everything you would have seen in a classroom in the 80s including a ton of BBC micros, an RM Nimbus 186, a bunch of Acorns of different stripes and even a BBC master Domesday Book think that came with a laserdisc reader. They also had a really good selection of consoles from the intellivision up to the Gamecube including an Amiga CD32 running Chaos Engine and a ln Amstrad GX4000 which has the single most unpleasant gamepad it has ever been my misfortune to try out. Also a ton of arcade machines on free play including a couple of Neo Geo ones with multiple games to select.

If you're in the UK and within moderate driving distance I heartily recommend it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Im a proud owner of the fullscreen version of Spider-Man 2 on DVD tyvm

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Proof:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I have the original Die Hard DVD collection, before the last two abortions were made and I think they're "full screen specials" too.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Data Graham posted:

It didn't help that there were people out there who were actually trying to agitate against widescreen/letterboxing and even HDTV in general because it was "cheating the customer" by cutting off parts of the screen.

Can't believe some of the sites from that whole skirmish are still up: http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ussdefiant/rebuttal.html

"Lettershlocking" :jerkbag:

Back in the VHS days there were a very few movies released in letterbox, mostly sci-fi flicks like the Star Wars trilogy. And on a few occasions at the video rental store, I'd have to try to patiently explain to a customer that no, the black bars didn't mean the tape was broken, that movie screens were a different shape than TV screens, that letterbox was actually the UNcut version of the movie. Some of them just never understood.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TotalLossBrain posted:

I thought Parker Lewis was poo poo as well.

Matt Frewer though :allears:

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Yeah, Frewer was good.

Forgot about Parker Lewis, yeah, he was pretty bad, as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

Back in the VHS days there were a very few movies released in letterbox, mostly sci-fi flicks like the Star Wars trilogy. And on a few occasions at the video rental store, I'd have to try to patiently explain to a customer that no, the black bars didn't mean the tape was broken, that movie screens were a different shape than TV screens, that letterbox was actually the UNcut version of the movie. Some of them just never understood.

People in general are stupid and set in their beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I was a kid I always wondered why on television the people shown during the opening credit sequence of some movies were all thin. Of course the screen was squashed so you could see all the text. I just thought "westerns have thin people in the beginning but normal people for the rest of the movie :shrug:".

(For some reason it was always westerns that had big wide credits.)