Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Demiurge4 posted:

That's pretty sweet. I can't wait to abuse clone slaves.

That'll actually work pretty well. The game is *super* quirky and weird about doing something like this, so essentially I've had to work around the weirdness by having it create a normal pop and then adding a +200% growth speed modifier to it. After it finishes growing, it then has a -25% Research and -50% Unity penalty for 5 years, but they'll make great slaves!

I *wanted* to have something like a clone vat where it was a separate "species" entirely, but Stellaris is oh so helpful and registers that no other species of that type exist on the world, and instantly deletes the Clone. :rolleyes:

The only way to work around that is to make the clones of species class ROBOT, since that's hardcoded in. But then OH WAIT, suddenly your ability to build them depends on a whole host of unrelated things, such as AI policy.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Admiral Joeslop posted:

These are the only mods I have enabled and I'm still not getting achievements. I terraformed plenty of planets last night and still haven't gotten that achievement. Now granted, achievements are dumb and useless but I still want them. My checksum appears to match, based on the title screen and trying to find multiplayer games. The 1080p overhaul page says its compatible, and at least one of the Tiny mods says it is and they're all from the same author.

C'mon, Wiz.

Are you playing in ironman mode?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

These are the only mods I have enabled and I'm still not getting achievements. I terraformed plenty of planets last night and still haven't gotten that achievement. Now granted, achievements are dumb and useless but I still want them. My checksum appears to match, based on the title screen and trying to find multiplayer games. The 1080p overhaul page says its compatible, and at least one of the Tiny mods says it is and they're all from the same author.

C'mon, Wiz.

Assuming you're playing ironman, go into steam and get it to reverify the local content. Those mods should be fine, I'm using a number of them myself and still getting achievements.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Ok so this is really damned annoying.

Since the game loves to auto drop new growing pops onto food/minerals if you move them off they get this debuff before they are even grown yet. Angry about being a slave before they even lived.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Piell posted:

Get the mod that lets science ships auto-survey from the start.
Is there a similar one to allow military ships to auto explore? The game start visit-every-system-nearby click micro is awful.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I just came back to Stellaris after a very long time. I'm liking most of the changes, but I'm still having the same old problem of research. My favorite empire to play is a very research heavy empire and blast past everyone and parade around the galaxy like the Vorlons. But due to the research cost normalizing I can never seem to get ahead.

This last game I purposefully only took a few planets and managed to get ahead for a while before I realized that because I had so few planets I had neither the energy production nor the fleet capacity to defend myself. How does everyone else do it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Travic posted:

This last game I purposefully only took a few planets and managed to get ahead for a while before I realized that because I had so few planets I had neither the energy production nor the fleet capacity to defend myself. How does everyone else do it?

Get swole, treat science as a secondary priority. Large portions of the tech tree can be ignored, and military techs can be stolen from your neighbours.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ded posted:

Ok so this is really damned annoying.

Since the game loves to auto drop new growing pops onto food/minerals if you move them off they get this debuff before they are even grown yet. Angry about being a slave before they even lived.

caste system was already bad before this nerf, it's a total joke now

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Assuming you're playing ironman, go into steam and get it to reverify the local content. Those mods should be fine, I'm using a number of them myself and still getting achievements.

Yeah, Ironman. I'll give that a shot.

Since I'm about to lose the war I started, what is a good Fanatical Purifier build? I made a medium galaxy with 20 species and of course the two species I was sandwiched between immediately declared a Defensive Pact.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Fanatical purifiers get a pretty significant combat boost, as long as you have equal sized fleets you should have a pretty decent edge over either of the two opponents. If you engage them separately you should be able to still win.

Haven't completed cybrex chain in a long time, has it always given 10k unity? Pretty decent boost, gave me around 2.5 unlocks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fan Xenophobe/Spiritualist is the superior choice of ethics I think. For traits I like to go Sedentary, Rapid Breeders, Talented. Civics are Meritocracy for the skills level, and probably just Mining Guilds (if you go for Militarist, pick up Nationalistic Zeal for border range). Democracy is nice for the influence, but that'll spawn an Egalitarian faction who will get mad when you purge people, so Oligarchic is probably a better choice. One of the things to keep an eye on is really balancing your energy and mineral production, since you can't trade with the Merchant Guilds.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Loaded a pre-patch post synthetic ascension game and apparently I've enslaved all my synths. Walp.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Libluini posted:

I just got a Xenophile-faction which is deeply unhappy because there are no aliens around I can not enslave. Now these chucklefucks sit there on my planets mewling about how evil we are because we haven't met aliens yet we could make free. Apparently I need (free) alien pops in my empire to lose this weird -20% penalty.

"OK guys, we get it, you want to bring freedom to aliens, but could you please wait until we actually make first contact?" :argh: -Our government.

I ran into a bug where the faction is mad about me enslaving alien pops despite having no alien slaves whatsoever and having banned slavery. Looks like a bug.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I think robots are counted as slaves now. I hope that's a bug!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Note to self: New migration restriction makes clearing all your homeworld tile blockers immediately after picking up master of nature a really really bad idea.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Probably a dumb question, but I was looking forward to playing my first 1.6 game as a race of psychotic psychic peacocks but can't see the new portraits anywhere. I've tried verifying the cache and they're still not popping up. Is there anything you have to do to activate them?

Edit: Nevermind, didn't realise it was a separate free DLC I had to add.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm having the most boring game ever. It's a galaxy filled with lots of empires, all of them random with a variety of ethos. No one has ever gone to war and because of thing long peace every empire is going pacifist. I started as fanatic materialist egalitarian and about 1/2 my pops are pacifist because I've never been at war. Every few years I get another notification that yet another empire has embraced their pacifist faction. All the xenophobic militarists are slowly turning pacifist. I don't know what's going on but pacifist ethics attraction seems extremely buffed.

Suppressing factions still seems to do nothing and I wish we could support official factions because my egalitarians are dying out, my empire is almost 50/50 materialist/pacifist despite pacifist not being my official ethos and me doing absolutely everything to boost egalitarian.

Ethos drift/attraction and the ways we can interact with it is still a really unsatisfying and confusing mechanic

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Apparently pacifist has been so heavily buffed in its spread in this patch that it's causing an outbreak of peace across all possible universes. I have to say, labelling this the 'bug fix' patch is increasingly amusing.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Aethernet posted:

Apparently pacifist has been so heavily buffed in its spread in this patch that it's causing an outbreak of peace across all possible universes. I have to say, labelling this the 'bug fix' patch is increasingly amusing.

Fix two bugs, introduce three new ones. Seems to be the vibe I'm getting from this thread, having not started a new game yet.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Aethernet posted:

Bug: advanced species with access to the means to eliminate scarcity forever too inclined to embrace peace.

I find it amusing that "pacifism too attractive" is a now a bug.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

Bug: advanced species with access to the means to eliminate scarcity forever too inclined to embrace peace.

I find it amusing that "pacifism too attractive" is a now a bug.

Excuse me, but my Fanatic Militarist race doesn't want the ability to eliminate scarcity of weapons to go to waste, thank you very much. :colbert:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Aethernet posted:

I did wonder why literally every empire was in a web of defense treaties with each other except me as the devouring swarm.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The further buffed space ports kind of fucks over any attempts at early aggression. Buffing military stations is good but the spaceports are extremely powerful to the point that a warp snare sitting on one will keep a colony relatively secure for a good 20 years, even if you have less than half of the other guys's fleet power.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh wow this pacifism plague is not a unique thing I'm grappling with, it's hitting everyone. Tons of people are seeing absolutely no wars in their games. By the time people can field fleets that can take out a station everyone's shifted to pacifism. Do.. do paradox not test play their games?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Well this explains the large amount of 'hey those alien dudes shifted to pacifism!' popups.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

I'm having the most boring game ever. It's a galaxy filled with lots of empires, all of them random with a variety of ethos. No one has ever gone to war and because of thing long peace every empire is going pacifist. I started as fanatic materialist egalitarian and about 1/2 my pops are pacifist because I've never been at war. Every few years I get another notification that yet another empire has embraced their pacifist faction. All the xenophobic militarists are slowly turning pacifist. I don't know what's going on but pacifist ethics attraction seems extremely buffed.

Suppressing factions still seems to do nothing and I wish we could support official factions because my egalitarians are dying out, my empire is almost 50/50 materialist/pacifist despite pacifist not being my official ethos and me doing absolutely everything to boost egalitarian.

Ethos drift/attraction and the ways we can interact with it is still a really unsatisfying and confusing mechanic

This may be a lame stopgap measure, but if you can progress to a certain point in the Horizon Signal chain (which CAN be finished now, right?!), you can turn all your pops Militarist.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The further buffed space ports kind of fucks over any attempts at early aggression. Buffing military stations is good but the spaceports are extremely powerful to the point that a warp snare sitting on one will keep a colony relatively secure for a good 20 years, even if you have less than half of the other guys's fleet power.

Stations shouldn't have weapons at all. Add a weapons module if you want them to shoot back. Just make them really durable and time consuming to kill... and, along with other unarmed stations, let out ships ignore them if they aren't fighting back.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I had some primitives I conquered ask me for honor duels, if I refused I got a stronger debuff from foreign occupation. This is a cool event but I feel like it shouldn't trigger when I'm actively processing them into food for the hive mind.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

If everyone is turning pacifist because of your lack of war, and you do not want this to happen, why not just go start some wars?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

GlyphGryph posted:

Stations shouldn't have weapons at all. Add a weapons module if you want them to shoot back. Just make them really durable and time consuming to kill... and, along with other unarmed stations, let out ships ignore them if they aren't fighting back.

I kinda wish stations weren't destroyed at all, just rendered inoperable until repaired at some fraction of the time & cost of building a new one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad they "buffed" stations by making a single station slightly stronger but eliminating the ability to have stations with overlapping fields of fire..

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

I had some primitives I conquered ask me for honor duels, if I refused I got a stronger debuff from foreign occupation. This is a cool event but I feel like it shouldn't trigger when I'm actively processing them into food for the hive mind.

Sounds about right to me. Lose the duel, you leave the planet!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

If everyone is turning pacifist because of your lack of war, and you do not want this to happen, why not just go start some wars?

With every empire in the galaxy?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The real question:
Do I start a 1.6 campaign tonight, or play a different video game while I wait for them to hotfix pacifism? I could honestly go either way on it. It's not like I don't have a completely shameful backlog, or anything.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Staltran posted:

With every empire in the galaxy?

Are you playing on default aggressiveness? Not saying that it might be tuned too high or bugged, but perhaps more aggressive AI settings (or some advanced starts) will get them going.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech
Okay, so Stellar Expansion - Cloning is a thing now.

Have fun making your Clones! :hfive:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I mean having them be moderately armed so they can fight off some rear end in a top hat who rushes with 5 corvettes is fine. Having them be able to defeat 15 unassisted is probably not fine

Baronjutter posted:

I'm glad they "buffed" stations by making a single station slightly stronger but eliminating the ability to have stations with overlapping fields of fire..

Yeah I don't like that change. Artillery rosettes were actually moderately effective and allowed you to overlap station auras.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

deadly_pudding posted:

The real question:
Do I start a 1.6 campaign tonight, or play a different video game while I wait for them to hotfix pacifism? I could honestly go either way on it. It's not like I don't have a completely shameful backlog, or anything.

I'd wait. I'm planning on getting back into Skylines, oh wait there's a huge game-breaking patch coming up that the modding scene will take a month to recover from :(
RUINED BY PATCHES!!! 1.6 is nice though, just needs the ethos fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Conskill posted:

I kinda wish stations weren't destroyed at all, just rendered inoperable until repaired at some fraction of the time & cost of building a new one.
Yes, this so much. The worst thing about losing a station is the hassle of rebuilding it and then upgrading it and assigning the modules again.

• Locked thread