Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Freaquency posted:

It’s real hard to change out the faulty parts on this plane while it’s flying, but if we just crash it we can get a new one!

I mean, we are crashing one way or the other because this society is designed only to funnel money upwards with infinite efficiency.

So yeah, I don’t want accelerationism but we’ve had like four or five precipitating events the past 50yrs and each one gets closer and closer. The US is a failed state—is there ever a good time for it to collapse?

I dunno I’ll shamble up to the school and pull the loving lever like I’ve done over and over again it’s hardly mattered. Hopefully my MAGA neighbors don’t get to legally bury me and my family in a big hole in the swamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Anyway, eat at Arby’s.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Freaquency posted:

It’s real hard to change out the faulty parts on this plane while it’s flying, but if we just crash it we can get a new one!

I mean much like Flight 93, at a certain point when you're in a full throated support of genocide, it's hard not to see why people view it as the better option.

Yes, revolutions almost always fail, and it's silly to discuss regardless as collapsing the system requires far worse conditions then the US has. Nobody's manning the barricades because rent got too high, they have to starve and freeze to stir that pot hot enough. I doubt even if you had the means and people, you could engineer a collapse fast enough to occur before the warming crisis hits a boiling point and we all get to see how western nations deal with a potential billion climate refugees

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Leperflesh posted:

H.L. Menken's most famous quote is "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

I think about that a lot when people on the left talk about being accelerationists.

He also said "Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." and "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." and "Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance."

prophetic

Note; Menken was a bit of a Nietzsche fan, hated FDR, and thought we should have stayed out of both world wars, and Ayn Rand was a big fan of his. So like, I'm not saying he's a laudable figure. He was an rear end in a top hat and he was wrong about a lot of stuff.

Just... yeah his statements about how hosed up democracy is keep winding up being highly prophetic

I find this somewhat funny because the original constitution was likely designed to counter a lot of these things. Only white men with land could vote originally, and the electoral college was there to override the people if they elected someone awful. Of course, those things also have huge drawbacks, like letting rich men make all the decisions, but I guess we get to take the "plain folk" out of the equation.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Got off the phone with my sister as we discussed clearing up family finances that our mom set in place before she passed.

Conversation moved to what we'll do with our parents' house that they built in The Villages. I'm ok with selling it and I think my sister is finally coming around to the same idea. I'm even willing to utilize part of my share to help her find a more permanent housing solution as she had one of her last divorce hearings last Friday.

Unrelated, I gained too much weight last week so this is going to be a week of salads.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

Got off the phone with my sister as we discussed clearing up family finances that our mom set in place before she passed.

Conversation moved to what we'll do with our parents' house that they built in The Villages. I'm ok with selling it and I think my sister is finally coming around to the same idea. I'm even willing to utilize part of my share to help her find a more permanent housing solution as she had one of her last divorce hearings last Friday.

Unrelated, I gained too much weight last week so this is going to be a week of salads.

BFC has threads on house buying/(selling), estate planning, and elder care if you need to seek out info or opinions on anything:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989734
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057760

good luck with it all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

I find this somewhat funny because the original constitution was likely designed to counter a lot of these things. Only white men with land could vote originally, and the electoral college was there to override the people if they elected someone awful. Of course, those things also have huge drawbacks, like letting rich men make all the decisions, but I guess we get to take the "plain folk" out of the equation.

In many ways Menken was deeply conservative and I think he genuinely pined for some (nonexistent) past when only the learned, wise men led and the masses had as little input as possible. Menken loved Ayn Rand's first book because it validated and spelled out his notions that smart people were very rare, and held back by all the idiots. Naturally, like Rand, he viewed himself as one of the Übermenschen. Literally that term, as coined by Nietzsche.

But like... part of the reason he resonated so much with the public and his column was popular was that he was very correctly identifying severe problems with (especially) American democracy as it's been practiced this century.

I think Menken would have thought accelerationists were idiots and made fun of them, though. Especially people who think the pathway to that acceleration is through a populist moron like Trump.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’ve become increasingly convinced over the last several years that we should scrap democracy and switch to sortition. At least then there’s a nonzero chance of something good happening.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Sorry about bringing up accelerationism. I'm just mindfucked recently because I haven't been able to refill my bipolar meds because this country is awesome. So yes, I want to burn it all down. Yes, I also realize it's stupid. But man it would feel so good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’ve become increasingly convinced over the last several years that we should scrap democracy and switch to sortition. At least then there’s a nonzero chance of something good happening.

I think democracy probably works best with population/community sizes that are fairly restricted, like maybe 5M people or so? The people in the democracy have to have some commonalities and shared interests. States were probably supposed to do that, but our largest states have tens of millions of people and the federal government has become much much stronger than states - for good reasons mostly - over the last 200 years.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Sorry about bringing up accelerationism. I'm just mindfucked recently because I haven't been able to refill my bipolar meds because this country is awesome. So yes, I want to burn it all down. Yes, I also realize it's stupid. But man it would feel so good.

as the great philosopher Maynard James Keenan said, "learn to swim"

it's basically a revenge fantasy and it's very satisfying to indulge but nobody actually feels satisfied watching their civilization collapse around them, even if it proves them right, and also our perception of how bad it can get is badly warped by not having life experiences like: living in a war zone, experiencing actual famine, fighting in a real civil war, etc.

I don't blame you for the fantasy itself, I have had it myself many times.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Don’t be sorry. It’s a normal way to feel toward a system that alternates between staggering indifference and howling malevolence.

How else are we all supposed to feel?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Someone got a hold of my Discover card and tried ordering a riding lawn mower bagger. Called Discover to get my account with the current numbers closed & transferred over to a new one.

So how's your Monday?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I did about three hours of driving this past weekend and as one does, my mind was thinking about the kids these days - we'd gone to visit my sister and her kids, her youngest just turned 18. I was thinking about how, when I was a kid, we had The Year 2000 to look forward to: visions of a bright and shiny future. However fake they were, however much we knew they probably weren't correct (I knew even as a young kid that flying cars and jetpacks were suicidally stupid and would never happen), there was a sense of optimism about the future. From Star Trek to the Jetsons to Popular Mechanics articles, there were illustrations about The Future that were clean and bright.

Do kids today have any fiction that is that optimistic? Like tv, movies, books, games? Are they growing up under a relentless pall of pessimistic climate disaster prediction and grimdark fantasy about survival in a bleak future hellscape? I don't have kids, so I don't even know. I suspect the answer is no, though, and I worry about what that does psychologically - however realistic it may be about the actual future that today's kids face, is some degree of optimism important for developing young humans who can take on challenges and try hard to accomplish things?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Leperflesh posted:

I did about three hours of driving this past weekend and as one does, my mind was thinking about the kids these days - we'd gone to visit my sister and her kids, her youngest just turned 18. I was thinking about how, when I was a kid, we had The Year 2000 to look forward to: visions of a bright and shiny future. However fake they were, however much we knew they probably weren't correct (I knew even as a young kid that flying cars and jetpacks were suicidally stupid and would never happen), there was a sense of optimism about the future. From Star Trek to the Jetsons to Popular Mechanics articles, there were illustrations about The Future that were clean and bright.

Do kids today have any fiction that is that optimistic? Like tv, movies, books, games? Are they growing up under a relentless pall of pessimistic climate disaster prediction and grimdark fantasy about survival in a bleak future hellscape? I don't have kids, so I don't even know. I suspect the answer is no, though, and I worry about what that does psychologically - however realistic it may be about the actual future that today's kids face, is some degree of optimism important for developing young humans who can take on challenges and try hard to accomplish things?

I think Dog Police with jetpacks is an aspirational-enough vision of the future.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

General Dog posted:

I think Dog Police with jetpacks is an aspirational-enough vision of the future.

We're not there yet but can I interest you in a robot dog with a flamethrower?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj9JSkSpRlM

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Leperflesh posted:

Gen Z and Generation Alpha are far too introspective and consume tiny snippets of social media at a time to really have the same experiences we did.

Also they mostly really hate old people for making everything expensive.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Someone got a hold of my Discover card and tried ordering a riding lawn mower bagger. Called Discover to get my account with the current numbers closed & transferred over to a new one.

So how's your Monday?

Man, I love Discover.

Now I got this fucker's name and address.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Shinji2015 posted:

Once again reinforcing my desire to stay as far away from any vehicle hauling logs as possible
Same. I was coming home from a camping trip yesterday and it was pretty rainy and low visibility and once I got close enough to see what the flat bed semi ahead of me was hauling, I realized it was loaded up with about 16 massive 20 foot long steel drilling augers. I went “NOPE” and went around that guy as fast as I could.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Man, I love Discover.

maybe

card thieves have been known to ship stuff to random addresses so they can track the shipping and then swipe it from the front porch within moments of delivery

but that might be their address

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Honestly it can be easier and darkly comforting to just sit there and bemoan how everything is going to poo poo and that there are no good options, especially since I think a lot of us have the late 80s through 90s to compare it to, where things felt like they were good and the house of cards that the Chicago school had built with our economy was only teetering, not fully collapsing. But there have also been much harder times that we’ve faced here and it seems like people are slowly starting to wake up to how hosed a lot of the system really is. Maybe that matters in the end, and maybe it doesn’t. I just find it much more personally appealing to think that maybe there’s still something we can do; that probably makes me naive, but if the outcome is the same either way at least I won’t feel like complete poo poo as I try to do the little things I can to make it better.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Obviously I’m very frustrated with the way things are going but watching the system repeatedly blue screen when it comes to holding a Crime Singularity legally responsible has been pretty funny and instructive.

Gotta laugh when you can I reckon.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Leperflesh posted:

maybe

card thieves have been known to ship stuff to random addresses so they can track the shipping and then swipe it from the front porch within moments of delivery

but that might be their address

So you're saying going all Keller Dover on this suspected Alex Jones would be... bad?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUQjk7HmZJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp02frKhjAg

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
I just want to hang out in a Mexican bar with Santanico Pandemonium until the heat death of the universe

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
At the hospital now. Had time to check emails and got the Uber reciept and only just learned my driver's name was Fidel.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Man, I love Discover.

They already live in the Dalles, there is no worse punishment within your power

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Thaddius the Large posted:

They already live in the Dalles, there is no worse punishment within your power

My favorite joke about The Dalles is that nobody moves there. They just end up there.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Man, I love Discover.

Go visit and see if his lawn is covered in grass clippings.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So like a week ago my oil light came on, so I bought some oil and put it in, then today I realized, "oh I should check the dipstick, it's been a week" open my hood and realized I never put the cap back on because there's no oil cap. Do I need to order that online or can I just walk into an AutoZone and ask for one. It's a 2016 Versa.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

Only white men with land could vote originally, and the electoral college was there to override the people if they elected someone awful.

Just jumping in to say that this is a common misunderstanding. The electoral college is based on the concept of Electors as (theoretically) practiced in Germany and Holland. You’re not supposed to be voting for President; you are voting for a wise local statesman who understands the problems faced by your community and will go confer with other wise statesmen from across the nation to select the best overall leader. This is why it makes sense for the Vice President to be the runner-up in the election rather than someone affiliated with the President: they are still a leader selected by (a minority of) wise statesmen, presumably representative of people with valid concerns, and even if they aren’t President, they can at least use their position of power in the Senate to thoughtfully and productively raise those concerns.

The fact that this immediately collapsed into partisan politics caught most of the Founders by surprise (although others certainly predicted it), and you can find a whole lot of them writing things like “if we’d known it’d work out this way, we would’ve made a different system” by 1800. They went back and fixed the VP problem but not any of the underlying issues.

Basically I’m saying that people undervalue the “well-intentioned blunderers” theory of explaining the US Constitution.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

So like a week ago my oil light came on, so I bought some oil and put it in, then today I realized, "oh I should check the dipstick, it's been a week" open my hood and realized I never put the cap back on because there's no oil cap. Do I need to order that online or can I just walk into an AutoZone and ask for one. It's a 2016 Versa.

autozone is likely to have a compatible cap for a 2016 versa, but you can also order one from rockauto.com

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Go to o rileys and get a generic one - they’ll even help you pick which one

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
AutoZone & O'Reilley Auto Parts are really good at generic replacement parts. Worth going online or calling to see if they have what you need.

I got a replacement keyless entry fob for my '02 Toyota Highlander on its way by Wednesday from the AutoZone near my house. Funny enough it's cheaper than replacing the locks on my car as they're so worn out that only the driver's side front door & the ignition works with the key.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Air Skwirl posted:

lol @ checking the oil only when the light comes on

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

General Dog posted:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/paw-patrol-mighty-pups-cartoon-canines-in-fascistic-mission-1.3893125 posted:

Paw Patrol: Mighty Pups, the first theatrical reiteration from the popular animated franchise, is the latest shadowy attempt to normalise state-sponsored thuggery.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

That’s right :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fat Jesus posted:

lol @ checking the oil only when the light comes on

From ages 24 to 38 I was able to not own a car, most of the time being able to work places that were less than 20 minutes away by bike. My current job at the post office, while I love for a lot of reasons, is located where there isn't reliable public transit nor a safe route to use a bicycle. So I'm a little new to car ownership.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Air Skwirl posted:

From ages 24 to 38 I was able to not own a car, most of the time being able to work places that were less than 20 minutes away by bike. My current job at the post office, while I love for a lot of reasons, is located where there isn't reliable public transit nor a safe route to use a bicycle. So I'm a little new to car ownership.

Change the oil at 5K, not 10,000 miles no matter what the guide says.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

change non-synthetic oil every 5k miles, or once a year
change synthetic oil every 10-15k miles, or once a year
unless the manual says to change it more often

that's "change" not "add to." In between full oil changes, you can top up the oil at any time, and should regularly check the level. Especially if checking every few weeks you can see a noticeable drop in level. Check using the dipstick and do not fill higher than the high mark on the dipstick: too much oil is bad.

e. you should also check the manual and follow all the other regular maintenance items. This may include checking the level of the transmission fluid for example. Brakes should be regularly inspected. Check and maintain the tire pressure and wear, and replace tires when they are worn down to the wear bars or when they begin to crack or when they are more than ~5 years old (every tire has a date code on it).

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

My favorite joke about The Dalles is that nobody moves there. They just end up there.

The Dalles is for people who hate Hood River or got run out of Pendleton, ime.

C-Euro posted:

Does your cat always make that face, beei'm cracking up looking at it right now.

Ashes is a very expressive cat, especially when he's hungry and wants people food. He's also obssessed with the sink and shower and will pop his furry little head in when I take a shower, usually to try and drink the water. His sister is also very in to water and has jumped in the shower while I'm in it. The other two... not so much.

Not sure what happened here to the photo quality or why they were so intently staring at my partner the other night. The tape on the floor is keep them from trying to go under the portable screen by pulling the bottom up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/IGN/status/1784996340625191221