Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
As soon as F1 wakes up to fact their emissions are 99.9% caused through the support infrastructure and people circling the globe 5 times every year with hundreds of tons of freight and not 20 cars buzzing round a track we can get rid of the stupid hybrid systems, go back to normal ICE burning sustainable fuel to keep everyone happy, then the cars dont need to be 5m long any more to fit all that poo poo in

There, fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
These rich nepobabies started in karts they can finish in them

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ROFLBOT posted:

As soon as F1 wakes up to fact their emissions are 99.9% caused through the support infrastructure and people circling the globe 5 times every year with hundreds of tons of freight and not 20 cars buzzing round a track we can get rid of the stupid hybrid systems, go back to normal ICE burning sustainable fuel to keep everyone happy, then the cars dont need to be 5m long any more to fit all that poo poo in

There, fixed it.

They already know all of this, the hybrid engines are a marketing effort for the automotive manufacturers. No one gives a poo poo about "sustainable fuel" because it's irrelevant to the general public. And the cars are long because of the fuel tanks, not the hybrid batteries. If you want to make them shorter then make them use less fuel, not more.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

These rich nepobabies started in karts they can finish in them

does that leave anyone beside lewis nando and ocon?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

wicka posted:

They already know all of this, the hybrid engines are a marketing effort for the automotive manufacturers. No one gives a poo poo about "sustainable fuel" because it's irrelevant to the general public. And the cars are long because of the fuel tanks, not the hybrid batteries. If you want to make them shorter then make them use less fuel, not more.

bring back refueling?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ArmedZombie posted:

does that leave anyone beside lewis nando and ocon?

Bottas and maybe Ricciardo

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

wicka posted:

Aren't they most long due to the gearbox + longer car is more room for aero?
The actual Hybrid engine and the fuel cell aren't that big (compared to the total current boat sized cars).

aswert1223
Dec 6, 2004

The Ultimate Dripping Machine
Simply Brutal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Ic0H6XMBo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Zedd posted:

Aren't they most long due to the gearbox + longer car is more room for aero?
The actual Hybrid engine and the fuel cell aren't that big (compared to the total current boat sized cars).

I don't know anything about boats

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

can Red Bull implode from within a little faster so I can stay awake on a Sunday

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

wicka posted:

bbbut all the anti-EV guys are telling me sustainable fuels will save ICE and kill EVs! Am i being lied to?

But seriously i dont buy that its all fuel tank space as the post-refuelling cars a decade ago were still considerably shorter than the hybrid-era cars

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 20, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When Shell talk about sustainable fuels it’s like when the companies that own gas distribution networks talk about the move to hydrogen - their company only has value if something still runs through the pipes, if they admitted that it’s far more likely that electrification takes over then their company has zero future value.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ROFLBOT posted:

bbbut all the anti-EV guys are telling me sustainable fuels will save ICE and kill EVs! Am i being lied to?

But seriously i dont buy that its all fuel tank space as the post-refuelling cars a decade ago were still considerably shorter than the hybrid-era cars

Gas is bigger now because of woke

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

ilmucche posted:

for some reason schumacher's weird 4 stopper in france just came to mind. remember when ferrari could strategise?

Alonso was in that race.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ROFLBOT posted:

The dirty secret nobody wants to tell you is that building an EV has significantly shorter labour time due to less complexity of parts and in about 5-10 years time the materials will hit an inflection point where the EVs is cheaper to produce and at that point the ICE is dead in the water. They could produce a gasoline that reduces carbon emissions and it won't mean poo poo.

Also sustainable fuels is the biggest load of horseshit I've ever heard in my life, we went through this poo poo in the 00s it was called ethanol and it just drove the price of corn up an insane amount and didn't reduce carbon emissions, they've just renamed it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I want somebody to explain to me how a food source harvested with a diesel tractor, transported with a diesel truck to a refining facility that may or may not be powered by carbon neutral electricity and then transported by a diesel ship or diesel truck to the end user is sustainable. If you can sketch out the math on that in a way that is in any way scalable beyond 24 race cars racing half a year then I'll reduce my skepticism

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
No thanks, I'll just watch the fast cars.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Make the cars shorter, but higher.... there ya go, problem solved or whatever.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Today’s race was so dire the thread’s immediately pivoting to discussion usually reserved for CSPAM’s climate change thread.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Paying2Lurk posted:

No thanks, I'll just watch the fast cars.

they're loving boring

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Today’s race was so dire the thread’s immediately pivoting to discussion usually reserved for CSPAM’s climate change thread.

I actually don't subscribe to the belief that we all will be dead a rolling 10 years from now but sure

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

This dude seems like a oval office

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

ilmucche posted:

This dude seems like a oval office

Yeah, but the youtuber isn’t much better

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Why does F1 have its own knockoff Dr. Disrespect

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Custard Undies posted:

Make the cars shorter, but higher.... there ya go, problem solved or whatever.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Edit: had to go and watch a random Tooned episode. Think I know where they got the idea for Danny Ric and Lando having a "race"

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 20, 2024

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

F1DriverQuidenBerg posted:

I want somebody to explain to me how a food source harvested with a diesel tractor, transported with a diesel truck to a refining facility that may or may not be powered by carbon neutral electricity and then transported by a diesel ship or diesel truck to the end user is sustainable. If you can sketch out the math on that in a way that is in any way scalable beyond 24 race cars racing half a year then I'll reduce my skepticism

Even better is cargo ships are still fueled with bunker oil.

Also, EVs being mechanically easier to make is true and lol that Tesla still rush cobbled together garbage to the market.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

No actually make the cars thinner so they can race side by side on any track

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

SocksAndSandals posted:

No actually make the cars thinner so they can race side by side on any track

Monaco should be raced on karts with v10s strapped to the back

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's just car nerds whose personal identity is 90% "vroom vroom" working backwards to invent a world where their cars can still go "vroom vroom" without destroying civilization

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
They decided to adapt the shell game to "saving" the environment and came up with carbon credits.

We are no longer a serious species.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

wicka posted:

We, as a species, should drive less. More public Transport, more bikes, more trains, more ride sharing, just less cars.
That is how we can truly say we're doing something about emissions.
Let cars become more like horses: No longer everyday way to get around, but a hobby thing.

This would require a massive shift in society starting with people not behaving like animals in public transport for example, but the idea is nice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

without destroying civilization

Too late!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Zedd posted:

We, as a species, should drive less. More public Transport, more bikes, more trains, more ride sharing, just less cars.
That is how we can truly say we're doing something about emissions.
Let cars become more like horses: No longer everyday way to get around, but a hobby thing.

This would require a massive shift in society starting with people not behaving like animals in public transport for example, but the idea is nice.

I'm a car person and I approve of this message.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre
like i said, bring back chariot races. Whoever has fewer driver points must be the horse

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Full Collapse posted:

Even better is cargo ships are still fueled with bunker oil.

Also, EVs being mechanically easier to make is true and lol that Tesla still rush cobbled together garbage to the market.

Tesla's whole success is based on the fact that there's way less engineering considerations when you take out the heavy metal lump that generates thousands of tiny explosions every minute. You could turn an early 00s Kia Rio into an EV and it would be able to compete with luxury vehicles.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

jimmychoo posted:

like i said, bring back chariot races. Whoever has fewer driver points must be the horse

I can't believe you want George "Tory Boy" Russell to use the only Black Driver as an animal. Think of the optics man what's wrong with you

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Tesla's whole success is based on the fact that there's way less engineering.

Let's not be too kind to Elon and his sycophants.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

How do you make a Dutch person worse? Give them a South African passport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre

niethan posted:

I can't believe you want George "Tory Boy" Russell to use the only Black Driver as an animal. Think of the optics man what's wrong with you

I really can’t believe he has more points than Lewis, lol. Life sucks