Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Malleum posted:

So these media empires, who have no agenda and have no direction, are locked in a struggle with the government.... because? Just because?

No, you loving moron. Like I said, before the election, CNN would simultaneously post both pro-Trump and pro-Clinton articles. Fox news backed its horse. Huffpo did its thing. Nobody said any of these companies had no agenda other than you. They're all competing for segments of the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hide all information from everyone, ban research into any topic whatsoever, and shut down any outlet that features anyone saying anything.

Eventually, this will fix society.

this, but unironically

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

litany of gulps posted:

No, you loving moron. Like I said, before the election, CNN would simultaneously post both pro-Trump and pro-Clinton articles. Fox news backed its horse. Huffpo did its thing. Nobody said any of these companies had no agenda other than you. They're all competing for segments of the audience.

Ah yes, that essential all-encompassing struggle that pits government against media: market shares. It all makes sense now.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Malleum posted:

Ah yes, that essential all-encompassing struggle that pits government against media: market shares. It all makes sense now.

You say this like you think it's sarcasm, but shockingly your head is firmly implanted in your own rear end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm going to have to chew on Anarcho-Journalism a bit, but an immediate gap I'm seeing is for the people who cannot realistically compile their own comprehensive aggregate internet news sources in the absence of pre-chewed TV broadcasts.

It's also an obvious gaping MARKET niche and I'm not sure what moves in to fill it without violating whatever rules your new order has.

It requires a cultural change, the absence of easily available comprehensive understandings of the world on tap from any television or news stand forces people to seek other ways to acquire it, and the wildly variable sources any one person might have access to stands, I think, a better chance of encouraging arguments and collective deliberation of the ideas presented. If you can't realistically hang out with people who watch the same news and read the same papers and think the same things, you're going to have to defend your position more yourself, understand it better, experience criticsm for it.

And sure people will probably form groups, and that's OK, that's politics, people forming groups because of ideas they hold and think about and, ideally, understand.

But I think commercial and state owned media are anathema to that having wide scale adoption, because you can fill that nagging need to make sense of the world just by watching whatever platitudes are beamed into every TV in the country. Sure there'll be meaningless platittudes in a distributed information environment too, but I think it will be harder for them to be coherent or as hegemonic as they are currently.

It's something I hope that the modern left will understand, having necessarily gotten their ideas via this approximate method, it'd be nice to think they might be the foundation for a cultural shift in how we view information provision.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

litany of gulps posted:

You say this like you think it's sarcasm, but shockingly your head is firmly implanted in your own rear end.

I had no idea fox news was in an existential struggle with the government. Here I was, thinking it was a mouthpiece for the current administration, but no. Forums poster litany of gulps is telling me that actually they are diametrically opposed and the great struggle between fox news and donald trump is allowing smaller, weaker viewpoints to flourish in their shadows.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It requires a cultural change, the absence of easily available comprehensive understandings of the world on tap from any television or news stand forces people to seek other ways to acquire it, and the wildly variable sources any one person might have access to stands, I think, a better chance of encouraging arguments and collective deliberation of the ideas presented. If you can't realistically hang out with people who watch the same news and read the same papers and think the same things, you're going to have to defend your position more yourself, understand it better, experience criticsm for it.

Removal of all but one easily available comprehensive understanding of the world on tap does not force people to seek other ways to acquire it, but rather the exact opposite. Welcome to the point, finally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You are again inserting this bizzare idea that I am advocating for monopoly on information, I am doing the exact opposite.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Malleum posted:

I had no idea fox news was in an existential struggle with the government. Here I was, thinking it was a mouthpiece for the current administration, but no. Forums poster litany of gulps is telling me that actually they are diametrically opposed and the great struggle between fox news and donald trump is allowing smaller, weaker viewpoints to flourish in their shadows.

I see that you became cognizant of the world within the last two years. Welcome.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

litany of gulps posted:

I see that you became cognizant of the world within the last two years. Welcome.

:rolleyes:

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Do you need a history lesson, child?

OwlFancier posted:

You are again inserting this bizzare idea that I am advocating for monopoly on information, I am doing the exact opposite.

Anyone that's actually interested in this argument literally has two pages of you calling journalists nazi scum directly prior to this claim. Bizarre indeed. You are transparent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I recall I said some journos are nazis and they're all scum. And I stand by that yes. The press is a very bad thing for the health of a modern democracy and you should not desire to work in it. I also frankly don't trust the idea of a professional information provider who gets paid to do it.

I'm still not sure what that has to do with being pro information monopoly.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord
I'm glad that we are defending the honor of the right wing media, here, in the right wing media thread. They really do need a champion in these trying times.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

As I recall I said some journos are nazis and they're all scum. And I stand by that yes. The press is a very bad thing for the health of a modern democracy and you should not desire to work in it. I also frankly don't trust the idea of a professional information provider who gets paid to do it.

I'm still not sure what that has to do with being pro information monopoly.

You have yet to explain who you think would enforce your "sea of ideas" nonsense, but you've got multiple pages of posts claiming that the media is Nazis etc. I think we all pretty much understand what you mean. Your one angle is to destroy the media companies without a coherent thought about what that would mean or how you could realistically replace them, because those concepts aren't meaningful to you. You don't care about a "sea of ideas," you care about the destruction of ideas that don't fit your own. The moment you come up with something proactive rather than destructive, you might be worth having a discussion with, but I suspect that moment will never come.

Malleum posted:

I'm glad that we are defending the honor of the right wing media, here, in the right wing media thread. They really do need a champion in these trying times.

Look at this D-league idiot. We go from the idea of Fox News being in lockstep with the government, because apparently this guy is two years old, to emojis, to this. What even are you? If you want some tutoring, buy plat and PM me, chump.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

You have yet to explain who you think would enforce your "sea of ideas" nonsense

What part of "the only thing that can hold a government to account is a motivated populace" escaped you?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

What part of "the only thing that can hold a government to account is a motivated populace" escaped you?

What part of "destroying the media removes the ability of a populace to challenge the government" escaped you?

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord
Wow, you think that fox news is currently acting as another organ of the state? Heh, well, gently caress you buddy, at one point they weren't. I am very smart.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

What part of "destroying the media removes the ability of a populace to challenge the government" escaped you?

... how?

Do you subscribe to some weird inverted great men of history idea where you think the only people who can lead the masses to overthrow the tyrants are the people writing 10 ways to save for a deposit on your house by not eating avocado articles?

What is this bizzare fascination with the notion that only rich media company owners can challenge the government ignoring, like, y'know, the fact that maybe they won't actually challenge it as long as it doesn't affect them?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Malleum posted:

Wow, you think that fox news is currently acting as another organ of the state? Heh, well, gently caress you buddy, at one point they weren't. I am very smart.

Whoo, the Hammer just nailed it. This guy knows Latin. He made a point! It doesn't really matter, but a point! And he tried to employ sarcasm! That's a thing that educated people do! Latin plus sarcasm! The Hammer!

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

litany of gulps posted:

Whoo, the Hammer just nailed it. This guy knows Latin. He made a point! It doesn't really matter, but a point! And he tried to employ sarcasm! That's a thing that educated people do! Latin plus sarcasm! The Hammer!

nice meltdown

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

... how?

Do you subscribe to some weird inverted great men of history idea where you think the only people who can lead the masses to overthrow the tyrants are the people writing 10 ways to save for a deposit on your house by not eating avocado articles?

What is this bizzare fascination with the notion that only rich media company owners can challenge the government ignoring, like, y'know, the fact that maybe they won't actually challenge it as long as it doesn't affect them?

The point wasn't that only rich media company owners can challenge the government. You constructed that entirely in your own mind. The point was that the government and media conglomerates compete for market share, which seems so self evidently obvious that I can even believe I have to explain the concept. Their competition allows smaller outlets to function. This also seems so evident that I can't even believe I have to explain it. In countries where there is one primary media outlet (typically state run), the small outlets cannot openly operate. In countries where there are various major powers openly competing for media market share, the small outlets function in a healthy fashion.

You clearly think that the media is a bunch of Nazis, down to the level of regular journalists. You have multiple pages of posts supporting this idea. You simultaneously argue that you want small outlets to succeed. The environment that you promote, a crackdown on the media, does not allow for the success of smaller outlets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The reason you don't get dissenting voices in countries with a state run media monopoly is because the reason the country has a state run media monopoly is because they are actively trying to crush dissenting voices from the state line...

Not because something magical about having several large privately owned media companies magically makes small ones more practical.

Like there's no logical connection there, you're taking correlations and assuming causation between them.

Or gently caress not even correlation, I have no idea what you're trying to suggest the mechanism is.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 15, 2018

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The reason you don't get dissenting voices in countries with a state run media monopoly is because the reason the country has a state run media monopoly is because they are actively trying to crush dissenting voices from the state line...

Not because something magical about having several large privately owned media companies magically makes small ones more practical.

Like there's no logical connection there, you're taking correlations and assuming causation between them.

Does the government in our country attempt to crush dissenting voices from the state line? Is this effort impeded by the existence of large privately owned media companies?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The government in the US is functionally plutocratic and thus has an extremely incestuous relationship with the media companies. It suppresses dissenting voices to the left extremely well with the support of the media and has no problem encouraging the far right to provide erroneous scapegoats for their policies. It's a modern approach, and quite effective.

Fundamentally the fight between liberalism and the far right is a seesaw in which the poor and minorities are the perpetual casualties, and the press and government serve to limit the discussion only to this spectrum as much as possible. Basically in the sense of how much overt racism you want in your paup slaughter.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 15, 2018

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord
"The government and conglomerates are always opposed!" I holler in the fox news thread. "It is impossible for them to collude! News is Zero Sum!" My voice gets hoarse as James O'Keefe readies a clown costume to shut down all polling locations in new york city. "Oligopolies allow for small businesses to thrive!" Sinclair writes another check and my voice cracks. "The Free Market Of Ideas can never fail!" Alex Jones is interviewing a sitting republican senator as my throat begins to bleed. "Meeting the dapper white nationalists is good for the discourse!"

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The government in the US is functionally plutocratic and thus has an extremely incestuous relationship with the media companies. It suppresses dissenting voices to the left extremely well with the support of the media and has no problem encouraging the far right to provide erroneous scapegoats for their policies. It's a modern approach, and quite effective.

This requires a degree of unpacking. We do have a plutocratic system here, but the plutocrats are hardly united. The media companies are at war with each other, with battle lines drawn along whatever arbitrary issues the plutocrats disagree upon. Arguably leftist voices are suppressed, but obviously the country is trending to the left. The rise of public acceptance of the far right is relatively new. I would absolutely agree that this far right embrace is both modern and effective. That's a shotgun blast of statements, though.

Edit:

OwlFancier posted:

Fundamentally the fight between liberalism and the far right is a seesaw in which the poor and minorities are the perpetual casualties, and the press and government serve to limit the discussion only to this spectrum as much as possible. Basically in the sense of how much overt racism you want in your paup slaughter.

This is a fair claim. But do you think the poor and minorities would be better served in a system that had cannibalized the press?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

This requires a degree of unpacking. We do have a plutocratic system here, but the plutocrats are hardly united. The media companies are at war with each other, with battle lines drawn along whatever arbitrary issues the plutocrats disagree upon. Arguably leftist voices are suppressed, but obviously the country is trending to the left. The rise of public acceptance of the far right is relatively new. I would absolutely agree that this far right embrace is both modern and effective. That's a shotgun blast of statements, though.

OwlFancier posted:

The failure of liberalism causes radicalization which elicits the rise of the far right, because the liberal press will never conscience the left. The two are hand in hand, and will forever be the two points between which you ricochet as long as you trust in the rich to save you. Because they don't care about the people the right blame for the failings of the liberals.

As long as the press survive and wield influence you will never have anything but those. You have to get rid of them eventually. Either you obliterate any sense of public trust in them, or you attack them directly. But they cannot wield any power.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 15, 2018

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The failure of liberalism causes radicalization which elicits the rise of the far right, because the liberal press will never conscience the left. The two are hand in hand, and will forever be the two points between which you ricochet as long as you trust in the rich to save you. Because they don't care about the people the right blame for the failings of the liberals.

As long as the press survive and wield influence you will never have anything but those. You have to get rid of them eventually.

Why the focus on the press as the first group to destroy? Why not reform the government instead of attacking the media?

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

litany of gulps posted:

Why the focus on the press as the first group to destroy? Why not reform the government instead of attacking the media?

Because they're both symptoms of the same problem, brain genius.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

Because the government and the media are not separate things. They're both in the pocket of the rich. The media discredits the left who would seek to reform the government. The media is the propaganda arm of the thing which the government is the executive arm of.

To repair the damage to a democracy which runs on mass publicized ignorance you must destroy the source of that disinformation, that goes hand in hand with government reform. You can't have people elect a decent government when they are fed on lies, and you can't have people thinkt the government can be reformed when the media constantly tells them it can't be trusted.

The media serves to disengage voters, it says the government is broken, it lies about what the government does, but it doesn't actually take away the power of the government, it only takes away the power of the voters.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 15, 2018

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Because the government and the media are not separate things. They're both in the pocket of the rich. The media discredits the left who would seek to reform the government.

The rich aren't monolithic in the sense that you're trying to claim. They're in lockstep in some ways, but there are divisions among them. Some of them control media outlets that discredit the left, others control media outlets that discredit the right. They unite on certain issues. They divide on certain issues. We see, for example, divides among the rich on social progressive issues, but unity among the rich on issues that keep them rich. It isn't so black and white.

Pretending like the rich are fully united does not allow for exploitation of their divisions, whereas unifying the wealthy is a guarantee of overwhelming force being applied to dissent.

Malleum posted:

"The government and conglomerates are always opposed!" I holler in the fox news thread. "It is impossible for them to collude! News is Zero Sum!" My voice gets hoarse as James O'Keefe readies a clown costume to shut down all polling locations in new york city. "Oligopolies allow for small businesses to thrive!" Sinclair writes another check and my voice cracks. "The Free Market Of Ideas can never fail!" Alex Jones is interviewing a sitting republican senator as my throat begins to bleed. "Meeting the dapper white nationalists is good for the discourse!"

It's past your bedtime, kid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They all own media outlets that discredit the left, some of those media outlets discredit the extremities of the right some of the time.

Sure, occasionally the rich get it into their heads they can make money off of being seen to be socially progressive, but that again is what I said, your choice is between how racist you want your oppression of the poor to be, and as long as you don't actually fix that problem, you breed the extreme right. Even the social progressive stuff is not decisive, not actually enduring, it can be walked back and it will be the longer this goes on.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

They all own media outlets that discredit the left, some of those media outlets discredit the extremities of the right some of the time.

Sure, occasionall the rich get it into their heads they can make money off of being seen to be socially progressive, but that again is what I said, your choice is between how racist you want your oppression of the poor to be, and as long as you don't actually fix that problem, you breed the extreme right.

So OK, shut down the media. You're left with the plutocracy, but now you don't even have the progressive plutocrats in competition with the regressives. How is this a win for anyone but the plutocrats? How many examples do we have of countries that have done this to their media? There's no shortage. Are these examples to be emulated?

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord
It's really wild, that in TYOOL 2018, there is still someone out there, that I assume has a pulse, and I assume lived through yesterday, and the day before it, and the day before it, and so on and so forth that believes in the inherent dignity of the rich. That believes they have convictions outside of their continued wealth, and who apparently has not been reading the same right wing media thread that I have where none of these fucks have lifted a finger to help a poor or downtrodden person in their life and get constant blowjobs by dipshits that they cultivate in media environments that they own. An unironic corporatist, in This Modern Day.

What a time to be alive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shutting down the power of the media is going to be a necessary part of any successful leftist movement, because the media will be nothing but hostile to it. Even if it isn't your actual goal, in order to put a leftist in government you will, by definition, have severely damaged the ability of the media to actually be listened to.

That gap is unavoidable, and my suggestion for filling it, rather than making a new Pravda, is to take a more anarchist approach and look to empower distributed and not for profit information provision, and I think this approach may resonate with a lot of young leftists because we live in an age of social media as a communications platform and the left is insurgent in that area, we all get information that way, by reading stuff on the internet and runnnng it through our lefty mates in order to make sense of it, because it's the only route available to us.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

OwlFancier posted:

Shutting down the power of the media is going to be a necessary part of any successful leftist movement, because the media will be nothing but hostile to it. Even if it isn't your actual goal, in order to put a leftist in government you will, by definition, have severely damaged the ability of the media to actually be listened to.

Now I see, this is not normal use of media. For reason I miss, you pretend media you like isn't "media", "media" is just evil opponent media. You should be more clear of speaking.

Or maybe you do mean 3 men can provide information if 2 are dead.

Malleum posted:

It's really wild, that in TYOOL 2018, there is still someone out there, that I assume has a pulse, and I assume lived through yesterday, and the day before it, and the day before it, and so on and so forth that believes in the inherent dignity of the rich. That believes they have convictions outside of their continued wealth, and who apparently has not been reading the same right wing media thread that I have where none of these fucks have lifted a finger to help a poor or downtrodden person in their life and get constant blowjobs by dipshits that they cultivate in media environments that they own. An unironic corporatist, in This Modern Day.

What a time to be alive.

What part of the concept of journalist, requires believe in society that is governed by interest groups for each of society? You will need to explain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Now I see, this is not normal use of media. For reason I miss, you pretend media you like isn't "media", "media" is just evil opponent media. You should be more clear of speaking.

Or maybe you do mean 3 men can provide information if 2 are dead.

I define media as "people who are paid to provide news"

There are a few small lefty media outlets yes, but the bulk of the work in my experience is done by leftists themselves informing each other and individuals doing research in their spare time.

And to be honest I don't really trust the left wing media outlets either because the quality of their journalism is often poor, they would not form a good basis for an informed democracy.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 15, 2018

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

That gap is unavoidable, and my suggestion for filling it, rather than making a new Pravda, is to take a more anarchist approach and look to empower distributed and not for profit information provision, and I think this approach may resonate with a lot of young leftists because we live in an age of social media as a communications platform and the left is insurgent in that area, we all get information that way, by reading stuff on the internet and runnnng it through our lefty mates in order to make sense of it, because it's the only route available to us.

This is fair, but I still would argue that attempting to empower distributed media by attacking media conglomerates is ultimately an approach that would backfire. You would only serve to further consolidate the established media and increasingly shut out the ability for individuals to take advantage of technology's greater ability to distribute information. Again, reducing competition among the media does not somehow allow smaller media groups to function, it stifles exactly that. You continue to promote anti-media talking points, but you are carefully avoiding acknowledging that in countries that have restricted media, you certainly don't have increased freedom.

Malleum posted:

What a time to be alive.

How you have managed to completely not even understand the discussion is beyond me. Stop trying to be clever, ask your English teacher for help with your sentence structure, and get enough sleep for your teenage brain to function properly.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

What part of the concept of journalist, requires believe in society that is governed by interest groups for each of society? You will need to explain.

I don't know, I don't believe in powerful special interest groups at all. You should ask Forums Poster litany of gulps why, because they just spent 3 pages melting down about why corporate media is a historical certainty and nothing should be done to fight against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

This is fair, but I still would argue that attempting to empower distributed media by attacking media conglomerates is ultimately an approach that would backfire. You would only serve to further consolidate the established media and increasingly shut out the ability for individuals to take advantage of technology's greater ability to distribute information. Again, reducing competition among the media does not somehow allow smaller media groups to function, it stifles exactly that. You continue to promote anti-media talking points, but you are carefully avoiding acknowledging that in countries that have restricted media, you certainly don't have increased freedom.

Again, countries that have restricted media tend to be oppressive because they restricted the media with the intent of oppressing people. By ensuring a monopoly for their own propaganda outlets.

Whereas in the west we tend to instead co-opt the media to get them fundamentally onside with the plutocratic government. We privatized the propaganda department by contracting it out to the press, what could be more liberal?

Hence, why I don't want either of those situations.