Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I'm desperately in need of some new speakers for my turntable set-up. Eventually they may serve as the home audio speakers, but their primary function will be for djing (house, hip-hop, and dnb).

I'm thinking about building my own, I have a budget of ~$200. Does anyone have dj-specific advice or experiences to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Can anyone suggest a cheap acoustical treatment? I'm simply looking for some 2 x 4 or so wall panels to diffuse my speakers a bit. Nothing extravagant or overly expensive is preferred.

DIY is fine. I own, so if it needs to mess with the walls, thats cool too.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

Walked posted:

Can anyone suggest a cheap acoustical treatment? I'm simply looking for some 2 x 4 or so wall panels to diffuse my speakers a bit. Nothing extravagant or overly expensive is preferred.

DIY is fine. I own, so if it needs to mess with the walls, thats cool too.

http://atsacoustics.com/

I've purchased panels from these guys and they're great. Very affordable as far as treatments go. It would be hard to make DIY ones this nice for so little.

dealmaster
Dec 24, 2005

Somebody call for an exterminator?
I'm going to be getting a 42" plasma or LCD within the next month, as well as a PS3 to go with it and I wanted to put together a reasonable 5.1 system since I'll be using this mainly to watch movies and TV, with a little bit of gaming thrown in (probably 85% movies, 10% TV, 5% gaming). Not much music listening. Here's what I'm looking at for the audio at the moment, I'm trying to keep everything around $500 or so while also staying away from HTiB:

Dayton 5.1 speakers and subwoofer
From what I can tell these produce excellent sound when paired together with a good receiver at a really nice price point. I'm far from an audiophile but I do appreciate good, crisp sound. Anyone have any experience with these?

Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver
I'd like to get a fairly good receiver and the price on this is about 50% off, which is great. This one does HDMI processing, not just pass-through (am I right about that?), which is what I'd like. Let me know if anyone has any other better suggestions here.

I'd like to get nicer stuff, but I'm moving in a month, so the move-in costs are going to limit my budget here. $500-$550 is about all I can do for sound.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

dealmaster posted:

I'd like to get nicer stuff, but I'm moving in a month, so the move-in costs are going to limit my budget here. $500-$550 is about all I can do for sound.

Do you absolutely need 5.1 right now? If you want good sound for $500, I'd get a receiver (the onkyo should be a fine choice) and two nicer front speakers. You can then add the center/rears/sub later on when you're settled in and have more money to spend.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

pim01 posted:

Do you absolutely need 5.1 right now? If you want good sound for $500, I'd get a receiver (the onkyo should be a fine choice) and two nicer front speakers. You can then add the center/rears/sub later on when you're settled in and have more money to spend.

On a similar note, anyone have any recommendations for what speakers to buy? (My budget it slightly higher, and I'm looking to get the 605, or whatever Onkyo has if they release their '08 receives in the next two months or so).

dealmaster
Dec 24, 2005

pim01 posted:

OK, this is good advice. I don't NEED 5.1 now, and I'd personally rather get stuff that's a bit nicer and upgrade as I go on. How would a couple of Polk R50's up front be? I know outpost.com was running a ridiculous deal of $60 each earlier, and if I can grab 2 at that price, that looks to be unbeatable at that price point. From what I've read, a CSR center channel matches with them nicely. How does that setup sound? Would I need a sub with it, or would the R50s give sufficient bass?

Also, if I do end up getting this, how much should I invest in surrounds in the future? Would a pair of R150s be sufficient? Also, what sort of sub would match this system well?

I'm just hoping Fry's gets more R50s in stock :smith:

dealmaster fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 17, 2008

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

dealmaster posted:

How does that setup sound? Would I need a sub with it, or would the R50s give sufficient bass?

Since the R50 is a tower speaker and goes down to 50 Hz, it'll deliver more than enough bass. To go further down into sub-bass (for that rumbly movie-feeling), you'd need a good sub that can deliver enough punch. Which one you should get depends on room size, but it'll easily cost you upwards from $300.

$120 for a pair of R50 is a great deal, going with that seems like a good plan. I don't like center speakers so I won't comment on that. A pair of R150 should be more than enough as rears, especially if you don't plan on playing surround music (SACD or DVD-A).

dealmaster
Dec 24, 2005

pim01 posted:

Since the R50 is a tower speaker and goes down to 50 Hz, it'll deliver more than enough bass. To go further down into sub-bass (for that rumbly movie-feeling), you'd need a good sub that can deliver enough punch. Which one you should get depends on room size, but it'll easily cost you upwards from $300.

$120 for a pair of R50 is a great deal, going with that seems like a good plan. I don't like center speakers so I won't comment on that. A pair of R150 should be more than enough as rears, especially if you don't plan on playing surround music (SACD or DVD-A).

Great, if my local Fry's has them at those prices, I'll grab all the speakers, since they have the R150s on sale for $50/pair. What do you think of the Bic H-100 for a sub? I've heard very good things about it.

EDIT: Well, my local Fry's said they don't have any in stock and it is a discontinued item, so they said they're unlikely to get more in stock. gently caress.

dealmaster fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 17, 2008

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Can anyone suggest good resources for audio treatment for a theater? I have a bedroom about 10 x 16 dedicated to home theater, and am looking for some audio treatment options - however I dont know where to start. Google has lots of information, but its so varied, and I dont know exactly what to be searching for to begin with.

Froham
Sep 22, 2000

Fireants and Black Magic
In regards to a "1080p compatible HDMI video pass-through" switcher on an AV receiver, such as the Yamaha V363 V463 V563 etc , will the receiver transmit 720p and 1080i signals as well through the HDMI? Or is the HDMI limited to 1080p?

jobehaix
Feb 16, 2004

A turtle? Yes, a turtle.
I'm not an audiophile by any means, and I've used stereo sound for as long as I can remember, but I'm looking to get a 5.1 system soon. I have absolutely no idea what to get at all.

It needs to sound good, but like I said, I'm not an audiophile, so it doesn't need to be the best thing ever. Something decent for a good price is good enough. (To me, a good price is $400 for the whole shebang.)

The problem is I have quite a few things that need to go through it. I have a PS3, Xbox360, and a Wii. So, I guess two optical inputs will be necessary, along with the normal red/white for the Wii and the TV.

(Also, it needs to be easy to use, as easy as possible. Auto-switching inputs would be best. ;))

Hidden Under a Hat
May 21, 2003
I want to use my computer speakers as the audio for my TV because my TV has really bad factory speakers. I'm not at all versed in A/V components, but the speakers plug into the mini-jack on my laptop, the same jack that's on an ipod for instance. But obviously a TV only accepts the RCA cable set-up. Is there an adapter or converter I can buy? Please let me know if I should provide any more info. Thanks

Edit: I should also mention I want to use an XBox 360 on this TV, so that's where the sound would be coming from. Is it possible to plug in my speakers directly to the XBox?

Hidden Under a Hat fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 20, 2008

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Idiodyssey posted:

I want to use my computer speakers as the audio for my TV because my TV has really bad factory speakers. I'm not at all versed in A/V components, but the speakers plug into the mini-jack on my laptop, the same jack that's on an ipod for instance. But obviously a TV only accepts the RCA cable set-up. Is there an adapter or converter I can buy? Please let me know if I should provide any more info. Thanks

Edit: I should also mention I want to use an XBox 360 on this TV, so that's where the sound would be coming from. Is it possible to plug in my speakers directly to the XBox?

You need an male RCA to female mini-jack converter (amazon link because I can't find one on monoprice). As for the other question, you could directly use the red/white rca pair on the connector cable (with the cable above and two of these) or, depending on whether your speakers and connector cable support it, use the optical digital (TOSLINK) connection to get sound to your speakers.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Idiodyssey posted:

Sweet, I came here to post this too. Except I have logitech 5.1 speakers that I'd like to hook up. I've got the 360 a/v cable with the digital out port, would i be able to use that to connect to an amp (or whatever you're supposed to use) that the speakers are hooked to? If so, where would I get a cable (and device) that actually does that?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Methusulah posted:

Sweet, I came here to post this too. Except I have logitech 5.1 speakers that I'd like to hook up. I've got the 360 a/v cable with the digital out port, would i be able to use that to connect to an amp (or whatever you're supposed to use) that the speakers are hooked to? If so, where would I get a cable (and device) that actually does that?

Do your logitech speakers have digital in? If it has you just need a bit of toslink cable or coaxial cable, depending on what type of connectors you have. If not, you need a DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) to get the digital signal to an analog one that your speakerset can use. Getting a second-hand receiver that has some form of digital in (be it coax or optical) will be the cheapest option. Dedicated DACs will run you anywhere up from $100. Just using the red/white RCA cables will be the simplest option by far.

dealmaster
Dec 24, 2005

I just ordered a couple of JBL Venue Stadium floorstanders as well as a Venue Voice Center Channel. I plan on going to Circuit City tomorrow to grab an Onkyo 605, and after I get my new TV and my PS3, I should be pretty well set. A sub will have to wait, but if amazon keeps running the ridiculous deal on the 12" JBL sub I might be going with that.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
I recently connected my Wii to my HDTV with component cables, and have the audio plugged into a female-female port, with a composite audio cable plugged into that and going to the receiver. Everything seems to sound fine, but there is one issue - the Wii is *very* loud. I have my 360 and cable box plugged into my receiver via Toslink, and if I switch from one of them to the Wii, I have to drastically lower the volume. I can't find any volume option on the Wii, so I was wondering if this is just because of the type of connection (RCA will naturally be louder than optical audio?) or if there is something I can do to "normalize" the volume levels.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

RFX posted:

Everything seems to sound fine, but there is one issue - the Wii is *very* loud.
The Wii's audio is VERY loud. On my TV, I play the PS3 and Xbox360 on about 20 volume, TV is about the same, but I have to bring the Wii down to about 10.

If you were to ask this in the Wii thread in Games, I'm sure a lot of people would say the same.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

RFX posted:

I recently connected my Wii to my HDTV with component cables, and have the audio plugged into a female-female port, with a composite audio cable plugged into that and going to the receiver. Everything seems to sound fine, but there is one issue - the Wii is *very* loud. I have my 360 and cable box plugged into my receiver via Toslink, and if I switch from one of them to the Wii, I have to drastically lower the volume. I can't find any volume option on the Wii, so I was wondering if this is just because of the type of connection (RCA will naturally be louder than optical audio?) or if there is something I can do to "normalize" the volume levels.

Your best option, assuming your receiver has this option, is to turn down that specific input.

As an example, The TX-SR605 has "Intellivolume" under source setup, which is a fancy way of saying it can raise or lower a single input volume relative to your other sources so your Wii ends up about the same volume as your DVD player when both are set at the same master volume.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

900ftjesus posted:

If you don't figure it out before you break them all, monoprice has screw-on banana plugs at a modest price.

I got a handful of these the other day:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2943&seq=1&format=2

These worked excellently. Thanks.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Is it possible to adapt analog RCA audio cables into a digital coaxial cable? I'm almost out of inputs on my receiver and I'm trying to find a way to hook up my new record player. I have one unused digital coaxial input and a toslink input at my disposal. Would something like this do the trick?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040107&p_id=326&seq=1&format=2

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

PoorPeteBest posted:

Is it possible to adapt analog RCA audio cables into a digital coaxial cable? I'm almost out of inputs on my receiver and I'm trying to find a way to hook up my new record player. I have one unused digital coaxial input and a toslink input at my disposal. Would something like this do the trick?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040107&p_id=326&seq=1&format=2

No. You can't just use an analog signal on a digital input. An analog signal is a continuous variation in voltage, digital signal is ones and zeros. To use a digital input with an analog source, you'd need an Analog-to-Digital converter, which aren't cheap. There is a free analog-to-digital converter on your the soundcard of your PC, so if you've got a HTPC of some kind you could run your record player up through that.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Is there a legal length (in seconds or in %) of a song that you can distribute without violating copyright law? I'm not talking selling, just a site with hosted sample clips.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm not sure what to search on the forums (30 second rule means I have only done 4 such searches) and Google has given me nothing useful.

Cross-posted here

Edit: Answer comes from ElwoodCuse in the other thread! Thanks Elwood!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 27, 2008

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
how lovely is the Polk Audio Monitor series? I'm looking for something to go with my new 46" LCD that isn't silly expensive and the Polk Monitor 60s look like a good bet after checking them out at my local Fry's. I'm just getting the two front channel right now, and will be expanding to full 5.1 (6.1? 7.1?) after I move in a few months. Are the Monitor 60s big enough where I won't need to buy a powered sub right away?

Anything better in the price range that I should be looking at?

What kind of receiver would be a good match for these? I hear the H/K AVR series is great for the money. Assume I don't want to spend any more than I have to (~$350)

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

TenementFunster posted:

What kind of receiver would be a good match for these? I hear the H/K AVR series is great for the money. Assume I don't want to spend any more than I have to (~$350)

You really can't go wrong with any receivers in that range. Denon, Onkyo, HK, Marantz, etc. will all have something cheap and quality. Personally i'd go to https://www.shoponkyo.com which is Onkyo's factory outlet site and find a nice refurbished receiver that has the features you want. You'll save a bundle, and if you've never bought anything there before you'll get a nice discount on your purchase as well. Unless you have specific needs like HDMI, upconversion, pre-outs, etc. then a <$200 receiver should be fine and allow you to spend more on speakers.

The Polks seem to get quite good reviews, though i'm not totally familiar with speakers in that price range and someone may be able to give you a better suggestion. They only get down to 48hz or so, though, so while they'll sound alright without a sub, you have to remember that even a modest sub these days can dip into the <20hz range. One thing to consider is saving some money and getting bookshelves and then a sub to complement them. Since most set-ups have the speakers crossed over at 60hz-80hz anyway, the difference between floor standers and bookshelves isn't that dramatic with a sub in the mix.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

.Nathan. posted:

if you've never bought anything there before you'll get a nice discount on your purchase as well.
how does this work?

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

TenementFunster posted:

how does this work?

You just sign up an account like any other place, and depending on what you buy or what specials they have going on i think you'll get $10 off for just registering an account and then once you're logged in the prices will usually be $10 less on a few models. Unfortunately it looks like you just missed the 10% off St. Patrick's Day sale. If you want HDMI and 7.1 then the TX-SR505 for ~$180 is an amazing deal, but the TX-SR304 for ~$100 is also very nice value for money. The 304 only has two digital inputs though, so if you plan on using digital audio with more than just your PS3 and PC it won't be ideal.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

.Nathan. posted:

You just sign up an account like any other place, and depending on what you buy or what specials they have going on i think you'll get $10 off for just registering an account and then once you're logged in the prices will usually be $10 less on a few models. Unfortunately it looks like you just missed the 10% off St. Patrick's Day sale. If you want HDMI and 7.1 then the TX-SR505 for ~$180 is an amazing deal, but the TX-SR304 for ~$100 is also very nice value for money. The 304 only has two digital inputs though, so if you plan on using digital audio with more than just your PS3 and PC it won't be ideal.
okay I really don't get the whole HDMI audio thing on the SR505 that everybody is complaining about at Amazon. Am I going to have to run the HDMI cable from the console to the TV and then a toslink cable from the console from the console to the receiver? I don't really follow

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

okay I really don't get the whole HDMI audio thing on the SR505 that everybody is complaining about at Amazon. Am I going to have to run the HDMI cable from the console to the TV and then a toslink cable from the console from the console to the receiver? I don't really follow

Right. One of the benefits of HDMI is that it normally carries audio too, but that particular receiver doesn't support audio over HDMI, so you need to run separate audio connections. It means more cable clutter and in the case of the xbox 360, you either have to modify the included video cable to be able to use optical out and HDMI at the same time or buy a $50 kit from Microsoft.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 4, 2016

eBay Embryos
Dec 12, 2004

Communist Party
I'll post this here instead of making a new thread:

Right now I have a 2.1 setup, and I guess its a decent one for a college student. Its a NAD370 + Wharfedale Evo30 speakers and a Wharfedale SW-300 sub. I had it hooked to a dvd and my pc and listened to music. Now my parents bought themselfs a new LCD so I got their previos 42" plasma screen and now I can watch dvds like I am supposed to.

This brought up a question for me, should I sell my setup and go get a home theater one? I also got myself a Wii and yesterday an Xbox360, plus this new for me plasma, I find myself playing/watching all the time.

Should I go for a 5.1 setup now? I really dont listen to much music now, just movies and gaming.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
I want to start making my own music using my PC and have heard good things about Garageband for the Mac. I've Googled and there are so many similar applications for the PC... so can anyone actually recommend one to me please?

I want something easy to use and something that doesn't require a massive amount of processing power as it has to run on a 3 year-old laptop. Thanks!

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Silas the Mariner posted:

I want to start making my own music using my PC and have heard good things about Garageband for the Mac. I've Googled and there are so many similar applications for the PC... so can anyone actually recommend one to me please?

I want something easy to use and something that doesn't require a massive amount of processing power as it has to run on a 3 year-old laptop. Thanks!

You'll probably be able to get a better answer here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=104

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

.Nathan. posted:

You'll probably be able to get a better answer here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=104

ooh I didn't even know that existed... thanks!

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Silas the Mariner posted:

There are loads of applications that you can use to make music but you probably want to look at Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs) first. The most popular ones on PC would be (in no particular order):

Steinberg Cubase SX
Steinberg Nuendo
Propellorhead Reason
Imageline FL Studio
Ableton Live
Cakewalk Sonar
E-magic Logic (now owned by Apple and up to date on PC only as of version 5.5)
Digidesign Pro Tools (requires specific hardware)

There are more but those are the ones I see crop up alot in various music production forums. Price varies alot as does workflow but apart from that it doesn't matter what you use since in a round about sort of way you can get to the same place using any of them. Your preference becomes just that - whichever application you use is a choice based upon what you are familiar with and what seems most intuitive to you personally. You can improvise around technical limitations in the software like the lack of sidechain inputs if you are smart and you know your tools well.

Most of these programs have some way of connecting instruments and signal processers (both hardware and software) to a software mixer (which is integrated into the DAW). The only exception I can think of is Reason which is a closed platform (you are only able to use instruments and signal processors exclusive to Reason). All of them are MIDI compatible and with the exception of Reason is applicable to hardware (if present and set to send and/or receive MIDI messages).

They all have some sort of piano roll/scoresheet/sequencer which allows you to click notes into a grid and have the computer play them back in a sequence.

Wave editting:

A number of the above DAWs have some sort of waveform editting capability but in my experience it is rarely anything but a compromise and for sample accurate wave editting you may want a program that specialises in doing just this.

Sony Soundforge
Adobe Audition
Goldwave
Reaper

are some popular ones.

Instruments and Signal Processors:

Most DAWs support an open standard protocol that allows you to make virtual connections between software sound generators and signal processors. By far the most ubiquitous is Steinberg's VST. Most DAWs support VST (with the notable exception of Reason) and that gives you a choice of literally thousands of plugin synthesizers, romplers, samplers, effects, you name it. Go to https://www.kvraudio.com and browse through their plugin library to get an idea of sheer number of plugins you can get. Note that there are many excellent freeware ones. Also note that VST is so well established that software instruments and effects in general are simply referred to as VSTs even if they don't use the VST protocol.

Other common open standard protocols are AUs (Audio Units) which are supported by Logic and Garageband and DX (Direct X) which is natively supported by FL Studio.

The other common one is RTAS which is used by Pro Tools hardware and you will need some sort of Pro Tools rig to use these. Pro Tools sort of requires a thread all to itself because it requires dedicated hardware, is incredibly popular and is a well established platform for session recording.

Another important one is Rewire which was developed by Propellorhead to allow Reason to be run as a plugin within another software environment (like Pro Tools or Cubase SX). When you do this you do not need to create a mixer in Reason - you simply wire Reason's native instruments and signal processors directly to the host's interface. This allows you to work in Reason (if you happen to like Reason's workflow) whilst giving you functionality that it would not normally allow via another host (i.e. VST support)

-

The number of software/hardware instruments and signal processors on the market are so great in number now that I couldn't really make a specific list here. Your best bet is to scout out new stuff on KVR and play around with some free demos. If you wish to make a particular sound you may want to post soundclips in the recording megathread in ML and ask what instrument or signal processor is capable of producing it.

Hope this helps.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I just bought a new Yamaha receiver and set of 5.1 speakers for my living room. I currently have 3 devices hooked into it: TV in digital optical 1, XBox 360 in digital optical 2, and PC in the 3.5 mm (1/8" maybe?) stereo jack.

My TV is a Samsung 26" LCD that supports 720P. It has an integrated analogue and HD digital tuner. However, I've noticed that the receiver only sees the input from the TV in stereo. I've never had a receiver or surround sound system before and am unsure whether digital TV is supposed to be broadcasted in 5.1 dolby digital or whatever? For the record, I am in Australia and only have free to air TV.

The other issue I have is with the optical inputs. When watching TV, I’ve noticed that sometimes the audio cuts out for a bit, and the display on the receiver flickers for a bit – as if the signal is being lost for a split second and then coming back. I’ve also noticed a bit of crackling from my Xbox360. Both are optical cables. I’ve never had previous experience with optical cables before so am unsure if this could be an issue with dust on the connectors, kinked cables, crappy quality cables, etc? I don’t think it is a problem with the receiver or speakers as it handles audio from my PC with no problems.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
Besides size, can someone tell me the difference(s) between the 6.3mm stereo jacks and the 3.5mm stereo jacks? I ask because my new headphones are 6.3mm and come with a 3.5mm adapter. I don't know if this is right since it's been a very long time but the 6.3mm jack reminds me of the size for guitar amps, whereas 3.5mm is mainly used for computers and CD players/discmans/MP3 players. I am excited about these new headphones (Sennheiser HD555) as I can now plug them into my Denon receiver using the 6.3mm jack whereas my previous Sennheiser HD437 were 3.5mm and would not fit in my receiver.

Also is it possible to get a 3.5mm->6.3mm adapter?

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

whatupdet posted:

Besides size, can someone tell me the difference(s) between the 6.3mm stereo jacks and the 3.5mm stereo jacks? I ask because my new headphones are 6.3mm and come with a 3.5mm adapter. I don't know if this is right since it's been a very long time but the 6.3mm jack reminds me of the size for guitar amps, whereas 3.5mm is mainly used for computers and CD players/discmans/MP3 players. I am excited about these new headphones (Sennheiser HD555) as I can now plug them into my Denon receiver using the 6.3mm jack whereas my previous Sennheiser HD437 were 3.5mm and would not fit in my receiver.

Also is it possible to get a 3.5mm->6.3mm adapter?

No difference besides size. There are lots of mini-to-1/4 adapters at pretty much any electronics place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm moving to a place that is pre-wired for surround sound in June, and I'm thinking of upgrading from my HTIB to a nicer system. I'm hoping to spend around $1000 on equipment.

My wife and I recently went to Best Buy and we stopped by their Magnolia home theater department. I liked the Definitive ProCinema 600 speakers with a Denon AVR-1708, but I'm curious whether there's comparable equipment for less money.

Does Best Buy screw you on the pricing; are these the equivalent of Monster Cables?

Also, I'm planning on having my TV wall-mounted, but I'm kind of reluctant do it myself because I don't trust myself to not gently caress it up. Am I being irrational, or should I pay to have it done for me?