Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Fangs404 posted:

Regarding TLDs, what do you guys recommend for personal sites/blogs? I was reading about the .name TLD and think that may be the way to go, but I'm not sure if .com is better (I guess for SEO purposes).

I went with .org as it's commonly used for personal/noncommercial stuff. You can't exactly go wrong with .com either, though, if it's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I want to set up a discussion forum for an organization I'm part of (around 1000 members/potential users). I'm quite the novice (wordpress page with domain/hosting at godaddy :sigh: ) and this would be a volunteer project with probably very little to no budget. The organization already has a Joomla site so I thought I could do it in phpBB: good idea or bad idea?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

greazeball posted:

I want to set up a discussion forum for an organization I'm part of (around 1000 members/potential users). I'm quite the novice (wordpress page with domain/hosting at godaddy :sigh: ) and this would be a volunteer project with probably very little to no budget. The organization already has a Joomla site so I thought I could do it in phpBB: good idea or bad idea?

I'm not sure how phpbb ranks compared to all of the other open source / cheap or free forum software. You definitely don't need to buy vBulletin. The most important thing with any software is that you keep it up to date and don't use untrusted addons. Even vBulletin can be a security nightmare if you don't update it or fix the security holes.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

DarkLotus posted:

I'm not sure how phpbb ranks compared to all of the other open source / cheap or free forum software. You definitely don't need to buy vBulletin. The most important thing with any software is that you keep it up to date and don't use untrusted addons. Even vBulletin can be a security nightmare if you don't update it or fix the security holes.

Simple Machines (SMF) was pretty good at one point, it could be worth checking into. Make sure the FIRST thing you do after installation is configure good spam prevention tools.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

How much RAM do I realistically need on a debian 6 VPS to host some static sites and a mediawiki with a very small number of users/viewers?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DNova posted:

How much RAM do I realistically need on a debian 6 VPS to host some static sites and a mediawiki with a very small number of users/viewers?

384-512MB will be fine. poo poo, 256 will probably do it.

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I have one of the $10/yr OpenVZ VPSs at buyvm.net for messing around with. It has 128mb guaranteed/256mb burstable. I installed mediawiki, apache2, mysql, php, and whatever else (using apt). It shot up to 255mb used and the wiki was barely accessible. I am told this might have something to do with OpenVZ being a pile of poo poo, though.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
On lowendbox, people will use nginx instead of apache for that reason. And trim down mysql a little too.

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/wordpress-cheap-vps-lowendscript/

Here is one of the scripts that can help give you an idea.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
There are lightweight wikis

Mediawiki is not one of them. It's meant for memcached, clusters, varnish etc.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I want Mediawiki :)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Biowarfare posted:

There are lightweight wikis

Mediawiki is not one of them. It's meant for memcached, clusters, varnish etc.

So then toss memcached on, thats easy.

Nginx + php-fpm + memcached = groovy times.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Quick question, I'm not a web developer or anything but I set my dad up with a website and domain for his limo business a few years ago and it's mostly served its purpose, but I don't have the time to play web admin for him any longer and he's been asking for some tools so he can update pictures, pricing, products etc. I'm trying to find the simplest Web hosting/authoring tools available since he's not very tech savvy. I looked at squarespace/wordpress, which looks like it should do the job, but does anyone have a better option?

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 14, 2011

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Just give him squarespace or something.

** do NOT ** make him self host a wordpress, it will be defaced and serving malware within the week most likely

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I do all my webdev in Joomla, and highly recommend it.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I feel I should tip my hat to Linode for their service. "Due to a catastrophic hardware failure, unfortunately all data was lost" for the machine/s my node is on. So they applied a 3-month credit ($60) to my account as compensation. Fortunately for me and my data, I only bought a slice at Linode a few months ago and used it to idle irssi, and I'm still lazily waiting for my Bluehost account to finish before I move my sites to Linode.

They don't discriminate between active/important nodes and seemingly unused ones like mine, which is quite nice. But I will certainly maintain my own backups once it's there, even though I'm sure this is rare for them.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

jerkstoresup posted:

I feel I should tip my hat to Linode for their service. "Due to a catastrophic hardware failure, unfortunately all data was lost" for the machine/s my node is on. So they applied a 3-month credit ($60) to my account as compensation. Fortunately for me and my data, I only bought a slice at Linode a few months ago and used it to idle irssi, and I'm still lazily waiting for my Bluehost account to finish before I move my sites to Linode.

They don't discriminate between active/important nodes and seemingly unused ones like mine, which is quite nice. But I will certainly maintain my own backups once it's there, even though I'm sure this is rare for them.

Do you use their automated backup service? I'm wondering if the data would've been recoverable if you had.

I heart Linode as well. Only had to deal with their customer service once, and it was because of a DoS. They helped me diagnose and fix the problem within like 45 minutes of me submitting the ticket.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Nope, hadn't setup a backup with them or personally at all at the time (though I will when it matters). They do say that their backup service successfully kept backups for those that had them. Here's the explanation ticket after the initial notice:

quote:

This ticket has been opened regarding the maintenance that was performed on newark380. It is with great regret that I must inform you that our attempt to recover your data from newark380 has been unsuccessful. Despite our best efforts, we were unable to recover Linode disk images from newark380 due to a catastrophic hardware failure and unfortunately all data was lost. Please accept our most deepest apologies for this inconvenience.

We have moved all affected customers over to a new host within the same datacenter (edited) where you will be able to deploy a fresh distribution via the dashboard. For customers who had the Linode Backup service enabled for their Linodes, you are able to restore from a backup by navigating to the "Backups" tab of the Linode Manager. More information on this process can be found in the Linode Library:

http://library.linode.com/linode-platform/backups#sph_restore-from-backups

As a host, we certainly understand that there is no substitute for your data, however in light of this ordeal, we will be applying a 3 month credit to the accounts of all affected customers. This credit will be automatically applied to future invoices.

We truly apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. Please do not hesitate to reply to this support ticket should you have any additional questions or concerns.

Just to reiterate for anyone skimming, I'm sharing this as an endorsement, not a knock against Linode. Even if I had important stuff on the node, I'd be the dumb one for not maintaining backups of any kind, and their response is a good one to me.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 14, 2011

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006

eightysixed posted:

I do all my webdev in Joomla, and highly recommend it.

I tried to do a website in Joomla once. It made almost zero sense to me and felt like one of the most convoluted CMSs ever. I hate it with a fiery passion.

I may have just not known what I was doing, but that help the hatred I now have for it.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

jerkstoresup posted:

Nope, hadn't setup a backup with them or personally at all at the time (though I will when it matters). They do say that their backup service successfully kept backups for those that had them. Here's the explanation ticket after the initial notice:

Just to reiterate for anyone skimming, I'm sharing this as an endorsement, not a knock against Linode. Even if I had important stuff on the node, I'd be the dumb one for not maintaining backups of any kind, and their response is a good one to me.

Nice, that's good to know. And yeah, I did read it as an endorsement. Comping you 3 months of service is really awesome of them. The reason I asked about the backup service is because I do use it, and I wanted to know if it was effective here. Sounds like it was, so I'll definitely keep using it!

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Fangs404 posted:

Nice, that's good to know. And yeah, I did read it as an endorsement. Comping you 3 months of service is really awesome of them. The reason I asked about the backup service is because I do use it, and I wanted to know if it was effective here. Sounds like it was, so I'll definitely keep using it!

The only problem with the backup service at Linode is that you don't get a notification if it fails. I mean, if you check the Linode Manager you will see that it failed, but there is no email sent. That situation happened to me, and when I asked why I didn't get notification sent they said they are working on it. I did get comped for the days it failed, and thankfully I didn't need it.

It woke me up to keeping my own backups, which I am now doing with a mounted S3 bucket and rsync and mysql dumps. It's not the fastest file system, but it works well for my backup uses.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Not sure this is the right thread for this question or not, but can anyone recommend a good SEO guide? My Sister sells artwork and I maintain a small website for her, and I'd like make sure I'm getting her as much exposure as possible.

I've used Google's webmaster tools on her site and followed its suggestions to make sure every page can be indexed and crawled and has relevant keywords/meta description. All the guides I can find seem to be more towards the scummy side of SEO and getting yourself on terrible linkfarms etc.

I know a small business website isn't ever going to get amazing results/rankings and don't expect to be the #1 result for 'Artist' or anything silly like that, just want to make sure I've done everything I can (that isn't scummy) to promote her site etc.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
There's a ton of SEO tips in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447030

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Probably the wrong thread to ask but, SH/SC doesn't seem to have a small questions thread:

Situation is that a family member owns a business, and got a (presumably terrible) IT guy to set stuff up. IT guy purchased a domain and VPS, to host their email and website. They need some a mail server that supports POP/IMAP/Outlook in order to use parts of their EPOS software.

The IT guy bailed, and it's kind of been handed to me to sort out, but I have little clue what I'm doing (but because I can sync an iPod, apparently I'm the perfect candidate). I've tried following this guide a few times, unsuccessfully, starting from scratch and so on.

So, questions:

1) Is there an easier method to achieve this than the above?
2) Failing that, is there some service I can pay for to get this up and running? We got local quotes, but they all seem to insist upon doing the website etc. when the only thing that needs immediate attention is the email.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LittleBob posted:

...when the only thing that needs immediate attention is the email.

SA-mart. Then change the passwords.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
You could always use Google Apps.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Don't run your own mailserver, def. use google apps (it's free)

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

LittleBob posted:

2) Failing that, is there some service I can pay for to get this up and running? We got local quotes, but they all seem to insist upon doing the website etc. when the only thing that needs immediate attention is the email.

Why do I get the feeling you're going to be massively overpaying for a pile of poo poo done in frontpage that looks like http://webking.com then being ripped off being charged 100/month for hosting and them forcing you to transfer the domain to them

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe

Biowarfare posted:

Why do I get the feeling you're going to be massively overpaying for a pile of poo poo done in frontpage that looks like http://webking.com then being ripped off being charged 100/month for hosting and them forcing you to transfer the domain to them

I'm not actually retarded, I'm just not proficient enough to set up an email server. Plus, that's the outcome I'm specifically trying to avoid.

Thanks to the others though, probably going to sign up with Google Monday.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Biowarfare posted:

That guy made Star Trek: Voyager's Robert Picardo's website!

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

LittleBob posted:

Probably the wrong thread to ask but, SH/SC doesn't seem to have a small questions thread:

Situation is that a family member owns a business, and got a (presumably terrible) IT guy to set stuff up. IT guy purchased a domain and VPS, to host their email and website. They need some a mail server that supports POP/IMAP/Outlook in order to use parts of their EPOS software.

The IT guy bailed, and it's kind of been handed to me to sort out, but I have little clue what I'm doing (but because I can sync an iPod, apparently I'm the perfect candidate). I've tried following this guide a few times, unsuccessfully, starting from scratch and so on.

So, questions:

1) Is there an easier method to achieve this than the above?

I'd just head to Google or Office 365 and give it a trial tbh. Either one will do what you want.

The only thing you need to check is that you have access to the DNS as when you setup any mail service you'll need to be able to modify the DNS records of the domain to change the mail routing (MX records) and with Google/Office 365 to prove that you own the domain.

Honestly, don't waste your time on Postfix. It's a fantastic mail server, it really is, but for what you want to do, keeping in mind that you need access to a server to run it 24/7/365, it's a hammer to crack a nut.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

lord funk posted:

Someone made the joke that 'Made2Own' was an appropriate name for their lovely service. The name of the company that bought them out? 'Brutal Networks.'

According to one bit of information that I've read, apparently Mix, the original owner, ran into financial trouble, and sold the company to someone else.

Not sure I believe it either way...And anyone that had data on the drives that went south, (papa in particular) well, chances are 99.99% that you're poo poo out of luck.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Considering this is a hosting megathread and there's no thread specific for domain registrars, I thought about making one for my question, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes, so let's try here first.

Question: What is a good place to get a cheap .bz domain? Last year I wanted to make a professional email address for my clients, and .bz (Belize) was actually the only place I found that still had available my three-letter name. I registered it for 10 bucks at domainsite.com and was incredibly happy.

But I'm not happy now that, apparently, renewals at this registrar cost 25 dollars instead of 10, so I'll have to start paying 25 every year just to keep my work email, and this sucks cocks. Considering .bz isn't that popular I don't know where to look. Do you guys have any suggestion where I can transfer my current domain for cheaper than 25 dollars?

vvvv I'll obviously want to go cheaper if possible, but 5 dollars less is a start.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 19, 2011

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Namecheap.com will do .BZ registrations and transfers, but they want $20 a year so it's not a huge difference.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Considering this is a hosting megathread and there's no thread specific for domain registrars, I thought about making one for my question, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes, so let's try here first.

Question: What is a good place to get a cheap .bz domain? Last year I wanted to make a professional email address for my clients, and .bz (Belize) was actually the only place I found that still had available my three-letter name. I registered it for 10 bucks at domainsite.com and was incredibly happy.

But I'm not happy now that, apparently, renewals at this registrar cost 25 dollars instead of 10, so I'll have to start paying 25 every year just to keep my work email, and this sucks cocks. Considering .bz isn't that popular I don't know where to look. Do you guys have any suggestion where I can transfer my current domain for cheaper than 25 dollars?

vvvv I'll obviously want to go cheaper if possible, but 5 dollars less is a start.

Are you really that worried about $2/month for your business?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DNova posted:

Are you really that worried about $2/month for your business?

When I barely make enough money to pay the bills, yeah, I am. If I don't save where possible I won't have even that.

I've looked into namecheap but they charge for whois protection. I found webair.com which has the same $20 price and free whois protection, so if nothing better shows up I guess I'll go with these guys.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Name.com also has free whois privacy when you use the coupon "freewhois."

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
So can anyone recommend a registrar that is run by people with a clue (no scripted support on the odd occasion you need it) that offers:

Registration/renewal of pretty much any/all TLDs including things such as .com.cn
Primary DNS
Secondary DNS
Email forwarding or better yet some POP/SMTP ability
Mailman or similar mailing lists

Bit of a wish list but here's hoping...

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

In case you GoDaddy users or prospective GoDaddy users needed any more reason to switch or not use them, those assholes are supporting SOPA.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Along with that a number of other registrars have gone the opposite direction.

Namecheap: We say NO to #SOPA (our official stance)

Coupons:
Lithium Hosting - Save 33% on hosting with promo code "SOPASUCKS" & Domain registration / transfers as low as $8.95 with promo code "NOSOPA"
Name Cheap - has a "special discount deal": "BYEBYEGD" or for (general?) transfers "SOPASUCKS"
Name.com - Use "NODADDY" for 10% off transfer ins (COM, NET, ORG, TV, INFO, IN, US, CO, ME & TEL) and also receive 40% off any hosting plans.
If for some reason you want to use DreamHost or HostGator :iiam:
DreamHost - use "NOTOSOPA" you get your first registration free.

Galler fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Saoshyant posted:

I've looked into namecheap but they charge for whois protection.

Lol "whois protection", just put bogus info in or a bundlebox address or something.