Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
This thread is a blast from the past. I went to Kings Point, did my year of cadet time. Got my third mates license, but never sailed on it. Went into marine insurance in the end. All the maritime knowledge did come in hand though, especially when I did two navy reserve deployments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Of course some of those cadets are just too dumb to actually find a job. They're usually the ones with the lovely attitude taking six plus years to finish their degrees.

Haha, the 8th year cadet is something that has definitely been seen in the wild.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MoraleHazard posted:

This thread is a blast from the past. I went to Kings Point, did my year of cadet time. Got my third mates license, but never sailed on it. Went into marine insurance in the end. All the maritime knowledge did come in hand though, especially when I did two navy reserve deployments.

Marine insurance sounds like a pretty interesting field. I have a copy of Reed's Marine Insurance somewhere, I never got around to reading it...

shovelbum posted:

Haha, the 8th year cadet is something that has definitely been seen in the wild.

There was a guy who started the year after me who got his ticket five years after I graduated. His original classmates were working on their Master Mariner when he flunked his OOW oral. Then he found a job with a company no one had ever heard of, which is quite the feat in such a small market, and managed to get himself sent home on medical after an incident worthy of a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

You know when people tell you over and over and over not to step into the bight of a mooring line during mooring operations?

Yeeeeeeeeeah.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

FrozenVent posted:

Marine insurance sounds like a pretty interesting field. I have a copy of Reed's Marine Insurance somewhere, I never got around to reading it...

It is, and a lot more fun than regular insurance.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

shovelbum posted:

Gahahahahaha. The 3/e I was working with on my last ship told me of a guy who started two years before him and was still there when he went back for his 2nd's.

Here's one for you, FrozenVent. It was described to me as the 'name' manuever, I can't remember the name, but the gist of it was this:

Captain's sitting in his cabin, waiting to go into Suez Canal. Captain looks out the window, doing 16 knots, gets the call '10 minutes out' and goes sweet, all good. Ten minutes later, he goes to the bridge.
He finds that the ship is still doing 16 knots right as they enter the canal.

Crash astern, destroyed almost all the liners in the engine and by some loving miracle didn't hit anything, but I am sure I remember being told that the ship was almost side-on to the canal by the time they finally stopped.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Holy poo poo I would still have trouble making GBS threads my rear end in a top hat would be puckered so tight.

CMA has a huge super senior problem. There were several cadets who had their STCWs expire while trying to get through. I think like 2-3 people with over 8 years in school.

There's plenty of jobs in both cases however engineers have a huge edge. There's no shortage of 3s fresh out of school needing money. Mates run into a problem getting ships for union and license time and think they can be picky. If they get out and do whatever it takes to catch a ship they will eventually move up, it will just be slow and painful.

Engineers have options as there is tons of shoreside work you can do if you don't like sailing and it pays pretty well. If you want to keep sailing you need a 2nds license ASAP as most companies are inundated with 3rds but 2nds and up are much harder to find. If you want to get with a specific company you will most likely have one or two chances, right out of school and then once you upgrade. There are plenty of drilling companies looking for people, Noble, Diamond, Transocean, Maersk, whoever else. Edison Chouest I've heard very good things about, I have friends working Foss around here. There's plenty of work doing whatever, the reason to go MEBA or MSC is to get license time (union time for MSC) and experience on a variety of ships and equipment. Most of your class will catch a ship or two (if they get that far) and then go shoreside. Somewhere around 6-7 people from my class are still sailing. So opportunities for sailing just open right up when you get your seconds and firsts.

Finally, you could just go shoreside. In the city stationary jobs start around $45/hr. I got an email today asking me to go to the oil sands for $42/hr with 60 hr weeks till July just to do some CMMS crap. I have friends working for Solar Turbines, GE, Siemens, PIC and a ton of others. Opportunity is everywhere, don't be picky, be easy to work with and ready to learn and you will be tripping over work.

Herman Brood
Jan 30, 2006

shovelbum posted:

There's a guy at my school who started there 5 years before me. I graduated in 2009. Last month I paid the school a little visit.

He is STILL THERE.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I passed both my EK exams!! I am almost there!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

MoraleHazard posted:

It is, and a lot more fun than regular insurance.

That's not setting the bar very high. Do you do P&I or H&M or cargo stuff?

Two Finger posted:

Captain's sitting in his cabin, waiting to go into Suez Canal. Captain looks out the window, doing 16 knots, gets the call '10 minutes out' and goes sweet, all good. Ten minutes later, he goes to the bridge.
He finds that the ship is still doing 16 knots right as they enter the canal.

Crash astern, destroyed almost all the liners in the engine and by some loving miracle didn't hit anything, but I am sure I remember being told that the ship was almost side-on to the canal by the time they finally stopped.

So many things loving wrong with this :psyduck:. Don't they have pilots? What kind of loving Captain takes a call 10 minutes before the show? (Unless it's something you do at full speed) Did the pilot drive the drat thing into the canal at full speed?

Plus don't you need to board the mooring gangs and the souvenir people and all that weird poo poo they go over there?

Two Finger posted:

I passed both my EK exams!! I am almost there!

We're gonna need a new Official Thread Cadet.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

So many things loving wrong with this :psyduck:. Don't they have pilots? What kind of loving Captain takes a call 10 minutes before the show? (Unless it's something you do at full speed) Did the pilot drive the drat thing into the canal at full speed?

Plus don't you need to board the mooring gangs and the souvenir people and all that weird poo poo they go over there?

I could be remembering wrong, I was just too busy laughing my rear end off at the thought of having to go crash astern.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:

FrozenVent posted:

My thought was that the Captain wanted a call 10 minutes before the pilot or 10 minutes before <x>, but got a call 10 minutes before entering the canal instead.

In other news, I applied to Transocean. ( I don't expect to hear anything back from them, I've never heard anything back from anyone, ever. I got my current job through sheer nepotism. )

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You won't hear back from anyone until you happen to apply on the morning where they find out they need someone with your level of qualifications.

Keep applying and keep calling. They don't really keep resumes on file.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Some openings companies just leave open but only take applications from certain sources. Transocean hires 3rds mainly out of school. The way to get in is to apply for 2nds positions when they open up.

Stratafyre what are you sailing as again?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

Some openings companies just leave open but only take applications from certain sources. Transocean hires 3rds mainly out of school.

Oh, they do that whole "come around and interview at some of the academies" thing to get 3rds?

Or do they just want new grads?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Usually new grads I think. MSC likes new grads as well. If you want a specific company you should probably pay attention at job fairs if your school has them.

Some places go with the whole "We want new grades so we can mold them into our ideal person" while other places dont care and go with experience. If you can only get in out of school its a good bet that there isnt much movement past 2nd anyways so its not a big loss. Places like Chevron, Seariver and Polar there is limited room for 1sts, Chiefs and even 2nds. One of my classmates just got bumped up to 2nd at Polar after sailing as 3rd for the last 7.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 2, 2012

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

lightpole posted:

Stratafyre what are you sailing as again?

Sailing as Third Mate right now, going through my paperwork shenanigans to upgrade right now.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

Usually new grads I think. MSC likes new grads as well. If you want a specific company you should probably pay attention at job fairs if your school has them.

Some places go with the whole "We want new grades so we can mold them into our ideal person" while other places dont care and go with experience. If you can only get in out of school its a good bet that there isnt much movement past 2nd anyways so its not a big loss. Places like Chevron, Seariver and Polar there is limited room for 1sts, Chiefs and even 2nds. One of my classmates just got bumped up to 2nd at Polar after sailing as 3rd for the last 7.

One of the other cadets in my class was a mate at Polar, she said the pay made it worth it even if you couldn't get on up there. I'm interested in Transocean but they never make it up to our job fairs/company visits. It's irritating because the guy who runs the school doesn't seem too into cultivating those connections, just because we aren't TAMUG, even though they go to the east coast schools all the time.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
If you don't get in out of school you can get in as a 2nd. Just keep an eye on their jobs page for a posting. There are plenty of other drilling companies with similar pay and they are all going gangbusters for qualified people now so don't sweat it too much. Right now is just a time to look at companies and work and get an idea of where you want to go when you leave. If you still want to go RIGS I would see about contacting them and asking if they had a job fair or something going on anywhere around you and maybe try to see them that way.

When I graduated I think Polar was paying $90k/year which is about standard, nothing too special until you realize that you are missing out on quite a bit by not being able to sail as 2nd or 1st. It works if you don't want to think about getting a job that isn't terrible.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 3, 2012

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

If you don't get in out of school you can get in as a 2nd. Just keep an eye on their jobs page for a posting. There are plenty of other drilling companies with similar pay and they are all going gangbusters for qualified people now so don't sweat it too much. Right now is just a time to look at companies and work and get an idea of where you want to go when you leave. If you still want to go RIGS I would see about contacting them and asking if they had a job fair or something going on anywhere around you and maybe try to see them that way.

Yeah, I'm not really sweating anything at this point. Looking like I will be doing my cadet time on some box boats out in the Pacific, want to see that good old sailing before I think about RIGGGZZZZ/DRILLSHIPPPZZZZ anyway.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Yeah, I'm not really sweating anything at this point. Looking like I will be doing my cadet time on some box boats out in the Pacific, want to see that good old sailing before I think about RIGGGZZZZ/DRILLSHIPPPZZZZ anyway.

I'm not sure if you saw my earlier posts about almost being qualified... come to the cruise ships, buddy! I'll sign your whole taskbook and will never ask you to clean the grease traps, honest...

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
He's going to a US school so they will probably put him on a US flag.

Yeah you have plenty of time, the only things you have to worry about are learning and seeing everything you can. Jobs will come as long as you aren't retarded or a complete dick and even then there are quite a few places just looking for bodies. If you can try and find a steamship for your sea time at least, I went on one for 6 weeks after I was done with everything except one class and the reinforcement was extremely handy.

Do they give you some of the important basic classes or do they just send you right out on a ship? Kings Point gives freshmen a bunch of worthless classes and then sends them out with no knowledge of anything. No diesels, steam or even basic tool knowledge. It's really annoying.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

I'm not sure if you saw my earlier posts about almost being qualified... come to the cruise ships, buddy! I'll sign your whole taskbook and will never ask you to clean the grease traps, honest...

I'm quoting this for posterity, because he's gonna be saying something diametrically opposed in a few weeks.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
my_brain_is_full_of_fuck.jpg :psyduck:

how large a crew does one of these river barge tugs have?

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

How is that a good idea :psyduck: Where was that picture taken?

Herman Brood
Jan 30, 2006

Stratafyre posted:

How is that a good idea :psyduck: Where was that picture taken?
That tugboat says "Rotterdam" on its stern, so...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Those do look like European river boats. The American barges I've seen have a flatter bow, but who knows really.

They're probably preparing to transfer them overseas. There's no way a set up like that would have a light enough draft for a river system. Plus rivers tend to have, you know... Bridges.

Edit: Also, are those kort nozzles? I can't see props, but why would a tow barge have a nozzle?

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 4, 2012

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Trench_Rat posted:

my_brain_is_full_of_fuck.jpg :psyduck:

I'll be really sad if I ever find out no one stuck a "DO NOT STACK MORE THAN FOUR (4) SHIPS HIGH" label on the side of one.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Crackpipe posted:

I'll be really sad if I ever find out no one stuck a "DO NOT STACK MORE THAN FOUR (4) SHIPS HIGH" label on the side of one.

It sounds like a terrible cargo handling exam problem.

"Barge A has a maximum deadweight of 250 tons, a KG of 4 meters and a deck load capacity of 5 tons per square meter. Barge B weight 67 tons, measures 250 ft x 80 ft and has a deck load capacity of 3000 pounds per square feet with a KG at 2.6 meters. Barge C..."

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I just finished reading this thread and now I'm really interested in maritime transportation. I'm pretty fed up with working in an office. I've always been interested in mechanics and engineering, and in my free time I'm always in my garage. I don't have my own family or am in any sort of serious relationships, and I don't want to start a family that's for sure (even got a vasectomy to ensure it.. heh). I'm only 23 years old, and even though I have a great career, I'll lose my mind spending all this time in the office. I need a change, and going back to school for marine engineering sounds exactly the change/career I'm looking for.

Hopefully you guys could answer a few questions:

I'm a Canadian, so I'll be looking at schools here. Anybody know which school offers the best engineering program? Is it pretty tough to get in the schools here? I did fairly well in highschool and took all the advance sciences/maths etc. But I did go to university for a year where I got couple D's and a whole bunch of W's.

Is it more difficult to get jobs outside of your nationality? I'm still confused on the process, is it a pain to get working Visas for going on ships based in a foreign countries?

If I'm flexible with what I can do (although my preference would be long stints where I get lots of continuous time off to travel) how much can I expect to get paid right out of school?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

never happy posted:

I just finished reading this thread and now I'm really interested in maritime transportation. I'm pretty fed up with working in an office. I've always been interested in mechanics and engineering, and in my free time I'm always in my garage. I don't have my own family or am in any sort of serious relationships, and I don't want to start a family that's for sure (even got a vasectomy to ensure it.. heh). I'm only 23 years old, and even though I have a great career, I'll lose my mind spending all this time in the office. I need a change, and going back to school for marine engineering sounds exactly the change/career I'm looking for.

Hopefully you guys could answer a few questions:

I'm a Canadian, so I'll be looking at schools here. Anybody know which school offers the best engineering program? Is it pretty tough to get in the schools here? I did fairly well in highschool and took all the advance sciences/maths etc. But I did go to university for a year where I got couple D's and a whole bunch of W's.

Is it more difficult to get jobs outside of your nationality? I'm still confused on the process, is it a pain to get working Visas for going on ships based in a foreign countries?

If I'm flexible with what I can do (although my preference would be long stints where I get lots of continuous time off to travel) how much can I expect to get paid right out of school?

Twofingerthreeyearsago.txt

You are pretty much describing me when I started this, even down to my age.

FrozenVent will be able to answer better the questions about Canadian schools, but as for the rest:

You can absolutely get foreign jobs. You may have to do some extra paperwork, and Visas are easy to get - you have any convictions? Assault or drugs is what they are most concerned about.

Long stints with continuous time off is pretty well the norm - my contract will be 4 months on, 2 months off. As far as pay - my first job has promised me 50k USD a year, which in this industry is absolute peanuts, but it's a job.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Herman Brood posted:

That tugboat says "Rotterdam" on its stern, so...

loving Dutch.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

You can absolutely get foreign jobs. You may have to do some extra paperwork, and Visas are easy to get - you have any convictions? Assault or drugs is what they are most concerned about.

Canadians don't need US Visas! :parrot:

Do you have a DUI on file? If there's anything that could bar you from entering the US, as a Canadian, that's the end of your career right there. Edit: ok, it isn't, but you're going to need waivers from the embassy. Get started on that process NOW.

I'll write more about schools later, but what province do you live in? How's your French?

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 5, 2012

Herman Brood
Jan 30, 2006

Two Finger posted:

loving Dutch.
Haha, yeah.
Worst loving country in the world.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

FrozenVent posted:

Canadians don't need US Visas! :parrot:

You don't need Work Visas to work in the US? is this specific to the maritime industry? Cause if so....:getin:

FrozenVent posted:

Do you have a DUI on file? If there's anything that could bar you from entering the US, as a Canadian, that's the end of your career right there. Edit: ok, it isn't, but you're going to need waivers from the embassy. Get started on that process NOW.

I'll write more about schools later, but what province do you live in? How's your French?

No convictions whatsoever.
I live in Calgary right now, so I'll obviously be moving. BCIT would be nice because I have lots of friends in Van, it's close to home, and I can ride my motorbike all year. But I'm not too picky, I wouldn't have a problem with moving to St. Johns or Ontario. I barely speak french, which is too bad because going to school in Quebec would be nice.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

never happy posted:

You don't need Work Visas to work in the US? is this specific to the maritime industry? Cause if so....:getin:

I don't know about working in the US, but you need a US B1/B2 visa if you're onboard a ship that calls to the US. It's the only country that requires it, AFAIK, so being Canadian saves you some hassle.

never happy posted:

I live in Calgary right now, so I'll obviously be moving. BCIT would be nice because I have lots of friends in Van, it's close to home, and I can ride my motorbike all year. But I'm not too picky, I wouldn't have a problem with moving to St. Johns or Ontario. I barely speak french, which is too bad because going to school in Quebec would be nice.

I've been told BCIT is in a really expensive neighborhood, so you want to take a look at that. They tend to keep to the west coast, so I haven't worked with a whole lot of their people... Two deck cadets, actually. One was the greatest cadet I've ever had, the other was most definetly not. Never met one of their engineers.

It's worth looking into, but it's a relatively new school, so they don't have the established reputation MI, IMQ or GB have.

Georgian Bay puts out pretty good engineers from what I've seen, but it's in Owen Sound. Mostly end up on the lakes, traditionally.

St. John's is a good school, but their engineers only do six months of sea time from what I've heard. Personally I'm a big proponent of real world experience, but hey. If you want to get into the offshore business, St. John's your best deal. It's probably the best located school on the East Coast.

Rimouski has the least expensive in-province tuition, a pretty good program and places cadets everywhere. They do require their students to speak French. (Well, not really, but the classes and exams are gonna be in French so... Learn fast. It's been done, mind you.) Also, it's in Rimouski, 3 hours from the nearest decent sized city.

There's a community college in Nova Scotia that just started up a program, I don't know much about them.

What you want to do is call up the schools and ask them where they place their cadets and graduates. Not how many, where - They all have a 100% placement rate for non-fuckheads. Then go from there. A degree from any of the school will get you to the same place, basically.

Also, if you have some calculus credits (Yeah, really, :wtc:), have you considered the Canadian Coast Guard College? You're accumulating pension time from the day you start, you get paid to go to school, room and board... And a guaranteed federal job when you graduate. The only con is, well, you're at the Canadian Coast Guard College. I've never met one of their graduates outside of the CCG or government office jobs.

Edit: It came from Twitter :psyduck: Jesus Christ almighty.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 13, 2013

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

That's great. Thanks for the advice. At the moment money isn't a problem (oil&gas :twisted:) so the luxury of living in Van far outweighs the cost for me. I'm looking at the BCIT coop program, and it's almost 21 months! I think I'm going to aim for that. Hopefully they provide good placement, I'll give them a call tomorrow and get some details.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
We only got 6 months sea time. It's not a big deal, I had just about everything i needed when I graduated. If you are going for engineering just make sure you are going to a place that lets you go as far as possible. If everything is equally accredited then it doesn't really matter.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

never happy posted:

That's great. Thanks for the advice. At the moment money isn't a problem (oil&gas :twisted:) so the luxury of living in Van far outweighs the cost for me. I'm looking at the BCIT coop program, and it's almost 21 months!

By all mean, also look at the other school. St. John's is in a surprisingly nice place to study at, from what I've heard...

I'm not overly familiar with BCIT's program ("There's a school out west. They go work for BC ferries and cruise ships.") but is it 21 months from starting to getting your license? Which license? Rimouski and I think St John's will take four years, but you walk away with a 3rd class license, or within a few months of sea time of writing one. (Lots of guys get their fourth and quit long before that.)

Edit: I was talking to someone today, and it turns out Georgian Bay has a three year program.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 7, 2012

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

By all mean, also look at the other school. St. John's is in a surprisingly nice place to study at, from what I've heard...

I'm not overly familiar with BCIT's program ("There's a school out west. They go work for BC ferries and cruise ships.") but is it 21 months from starting to getting your license? Which license? Rimouski and I think St John's will take four years, but you walk away with a 3rd class license, or within a few months of sea time of writing one. (Lots of guys get their fourth and quit long before that.)

Edit: I was talking to someone today, and it turns out Georgian Bay has a three year program.

It looks like in the third coop term you will be acting as a third. Which seems like a good way to set yourself up for 2nd nice and quickly.

Anybody know anything about ships using LNG as fuel? It seems pretty interesting but it doesn't look like there any ships here in North America. I wonder how you could get into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

never happy posted:

It looks like in the third coop term you will be acting as a third. Which seems like a good way to set yourself up for 2nd nice and quickly.

Anybody know anything about ships using LNG as fuel? It seems pretty interesting but it doesn't look like there any ships here in North America. I wonder how you could get into that.

It's just LNG carriers that use the boiloff gas as fuel. They generally have massive steam plant powering steam turbines, but newer diesel technology can now use it as well.

I haven't worked on one, but a friend of mine has. I could ask him if you have any specific questions.

• Locked thread