Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Boomsma also makes a very good aged genever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Vegetable Melange posted:

If you made me an aviation without violette, I would quietly leave my tip on the bar and find my way to the exit, possibly after peeing on the floor of the bathroom on purpose.

The aviation first became internet famous and widely served in cocktail bars well before Rothman & Winter Creme de Violette was on the market; without violette was the standard for years because it wasn't available. I'd assume that was actually the reason Haus Alpenz begin producing it.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

My favorite spec, for a modern palate, is 2 gin, 3/4 lemon, 1/2 maraschino. 1/4 violet. Which brand did you find?

A friend gifted me a bottle of Pages.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If you're that nuts for maraschino (you are, you are nuts), get a bottle of the aged bols and rock nothing but improved cocktails all day.

If you made me an aviation without violette, I would quietly leave my tip on the bar and find my way to the exit, possibly after peeing on the floor of the bathroom on purpose.

Oh man, improved Hollands cocktails are straight to die for. I had one at Bourbon and Branch and it was truly superb. But I've gotta say I'm with Tom Rakewell on this – as a non-pro I'm perfectly content to make myself an all-maraschino Aviation if only because it has a certain pedigree, and there are lots of things way higher up on my list to acquire than creme de violette.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

yeah well without that hint of sky blue, it might as well be a urination

*drops mic, walks off stage*

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

nrr posted:

yeah well without that hint of sky blue, it might as well be a urination

*drops mic, walks off stage*

emptyquotin' dis.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Some friends brought over some homemade cranberry sauce last night, and I wanted to use it in a cocktail. It wasn't anything crazy, just cranberries mashed with some sugar basically. This is what I came up with:

2 oz cognac
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz maple syrup
heaping spoonful of cranberry sauce
2 dashes Angostura

Shake and double strain into a coupe, I didn't garnish it with anything.

I don't really like to toot my own but it was pretty great. I did have a hard time doing the double strain. I use a small sieve when I double strain, and this drink was clogging it really quickly, so I had to keep rinsing the strainer to keep pouring. Right now when I am pouring a drink that does this I do it next to the sink and just keep rinsing the strainer when it gets clogged, which is a pain. Is there anything I can do in these situations to make my life easier?

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
I was at a bar the other day and ordered a New-Fashioned which the menu listed as Old Forester Bourbon with apples and cinnamon. It was a bit too sweet for me but I really enjoyed the apples in with the bourbon. Does anyone have another recipe that features that duo?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If you can find Laird's Bonded it makes an excellent Old Fashioned with Fee's whiskey barrel-aged bitters. American apple brandy was sometimes called apple whiskey, so it hits some of the same notes as bourbon does.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

That barrel aged whiskey bitters that Fee's does is badass and it's my go to for any whiskey cocktail. They also do a gin barrel aged orange bitters that I think I've either endorsed in this thread or the bartender one, and it's fantastic. I met Mr Fee last year and even though he was dressed up like a terrible diner waitress with a million pieces of "flair," he was a super nice, enthusiastic guy and just made me stoked that he had cornered a solic part of the market.

You know when you finally meet those people? This is literally the guy you wish was behind everything.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Never met Mr. Fee, but I take umbrage with his use of glycerine in all his bitters (that said, I but the WBA bitters in a slivovitz crusta for the restaurant last night and it kills, even if it's $21/btl).

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Hey guys, does anyone have experience with making layered non-alcoholic drinks?

A quick search shows that the main principle to bear in mind is the density of the liquids being layered, and to apply them in heaviest -> lightest order, but I was wondering if anyone had tried using fruit cordials (by which I mean this stuff, not this stuff) and basically mixing each up to a different level of concentration, then layering them using the standard layering method (back-of-spoon technique) or by filling a tall glass with ice and slowly pouring over that to keep the layers separate.

Intuition tells me it should work, and if it does then you should be able to do some cool colour-customization just by getting a bunch of different-flavoured syrups, but I'd like to know if anyone had tried it before I go spending 20 bucks on sugary syrup I won't otherwise drink.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I keep on meaning to expand my spirit selection so I can actually make some cocktails at home, but then I go to my local shop and just buy more gin. 8 bottles and counting.

Maybe I should just buy some vermouth and make all the martinis

edit: Bought some Cointreau. White lady: egg white or no?

Pantsmaster Bill fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 25, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Never met Mr. Fee, but I take umbrage with his use of glycerine in all his bitters (that said, I but the WBA bitters in a slivovitz crusta for the restaurant last night and it kills, even if it's $21/btl).

It works better in some bitters than others. Whiskey barrel is good, orange is not so good. Peach is good, celery is awful. I definitely prefer alcohol instead of glycerine, but some flavors are damned hard to find from anyone but Fee's.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I keep on meaning to expand my spirit selection so I can actually make some cocktails at home, but then I go to my local shop and just buy more gin. 8 bottles and counting.

Maybe I should just buy some vermouth and make all the martinis

Buy 8 bottles each of sweet vermouth and Campari and make all the Negronis.

Kidding aside, gin can do so much more than make a martini, especially if you love it so much.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

edit: Bought some Cointreau. White lady: egg white or no?

If you like drinks with egg white in them, then yeah.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So what brand orange bitters should I buy?

What brandy should I be using to mix Sidecars? Also maybe some Alexanders, but mainly sidecars.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I like Regan's for orange bitters, and I've heard that Angostura's orange offering is deep and complex, though not as bright and tangy as Regan's. I don't know much about Fee's.

As long as it's real Cognac it'll do for Sidecars. I've taken to mixing with Gautier, since it's the real stuff on the cheap. Landy is another bargain, but I've only seen it for VS. If you're in the States Costco often has inexpensive cognacs. VS is fine for Sidecars, but VSOP is definitely preferred if you can swing it. All the major houses (Remy-Martin, Courvoisier, Hennessy, etc.), as well as the brands I mentioned earlier, are totally drinkable.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Klauser posted:

Buy 8 bottles each of sweet vermouth and Campari and make all the Negronis.

Kidding aside, gin can do so much more than make a martini, especially if you love it so much.

If you like drinks with egg white in them, then yeah.

Campari is next on my list, I do love a Negroni. My only issue with buying vermouth is that I don't think I'll get through it all before it goes off.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Angostura's orange bitters is really overpowering and it's way too easy too put way too much into a drink by accident, regans is a bit more balanced, so if its easily available i'd choose it in a heartbeat. I haven't used the fee brothers myself, but my boss wants to do a 50/50 of it and regans as the house orange bitters so its probably fine as well.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Just made my first Pisco sour at home after picking up a bottle of Pisco Porton. Oooh boy is that a hell of a tasty drink. Going to pick up some orange blossom water tomorrow to attempt the Ramos Gin Fizz.

On a completely different note, I really love hot sauce. Aside from a prairie fire and bloody mary, anyone have any good recipes for a hot sauce drink?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I don't personally care for spicy in my drinks. I feel like the burn of chili peppers is often very similar to the burn of cheap booze.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Wuss.

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

The Polish Pirate posted:

Just made my first Pisco sour at home after picking up a bottle of Pisco Porton. Oooh boy is that a hell of a tasty drink. Going to pick up some orange blossom water tomorrow to attempt the Ramos Gin Fizz.

On a completely different note, I really love hot sauce. Aside from a prairie fire and bloody mary, anyone have any good recipes for a hot sauce drink?

Gordon's breakfast is a great drink:

http://drinkawaytime.com/2011/03/15/recipes-gordons-breakfast/

I usually add olives as well.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

The Polish Pirate posted:

I've had excellent results with infusing tequila and bourbon with jalepenos, and then making interesting drinks with that, like the mexican firing squad special or a honey/cinnamon/jalepeno-bourbon sour. In this case, the supermarket jalepenos are great, because they're hybrids with bell peppers, so you get both a bit of heat and a nice earthy vegetal flavor. Seriously, once you've had spicy tequila you may not go back.

But for hot sauce, what kinds are you using? I can probably help you make a good infusion that carries over the flavors without having to dash in the vinegar heavy stuff.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Yeah I suppose it's less about particular hot sauces and more about having some interesting spiciness in my cocktails.

Would love some tips on infusing especially if it leads me to making that jalapeno bourbon sour.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
How about a Flatliner?
My experience of it wasn't great and involved puking four of them out of my nose, but you may fare better.

Recipe:
1 shot Tequila
1 shot Sambuca
A liberal dash of Tabasco sauce

Half fill a shot glass with the Sambuca. Carefully spoon on the Tabasco sauce to form a layer on top. Finally layer on the tequila to fill the shot glass.

More detail here: http://m.wikihow.com/Make-a-Flatliner-Layered-Shot

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

With Christmas coming around the corner, I'm planning to make some allspice dram (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/diy-allspice-dram-make-your-own-st-elizabeths-pimento-dram-recipe.html).

Does anyone have some recommended cocktails that utilize this? I haven't had it before.

StellaMcFly
Nov 10, 2012

The Hebug posted:

With Christmas coming around the corner, I'm planning to make some allspice dram (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/diy-allspice-dram-make-your-own-st-elizabeths-pimento-dram-recipe.html).

Does anyone have some recommended cocktails that utilize this? I haven't had it before.

I haven't had it before either, but I'm definitely going to have to make it now. I'm a huge fan of homemade liqueurs. Having said that, I bet it would be phenomenal in hot cider, a hot toddy, or hot buttered rum. The operative word here, apparently, is "hot". Although it would likely be great in the dreaded appletini or simply mixed in with some decent rum or bourbon. I love me some allspice.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Allspice Dram (or Pimento Dram) is a tiki staple. Check out Kaiser Penguin, or look at Cocktail Virgin Slut for the database.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Or buy a copy of Beach Bum Berry Remixed.

Pimento dram is also great in Old Fashioned-style cocktails. Just a little dash.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Irving posted:

Gordon's breakfast is a great drink:

http://drinkawaytime.com/2011/03/15/recipes-gordons-breakfast/

I usually add olives as well.

Seconding this, so good.

As written the drink starts out on the sweet side, but really gets better as the ice melts, so I would say plenty of cracked ice is key.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Kenning posted:

Or buy a copy of Beach Bum Berry Remixed.

This is better advice if you're willing to spend the money. Tiki drinks are the absolute business.

I would also consider using Kaiser Penguin's recipe for Allspice Dram instead of the one you linked - I went back and took a look at it and it doesn't look amazing.

http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/pimento-dram/

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007
So, the holidays approach and last year's fabulous eggnog (egg nog?) thread has been consigned to the archives. I remember several people posted some amazing looking and shelf stable turbo-nog recipes. I want to replicate one or several of those for party season, but my google Fu seems to be weak. Can any of you wizards help?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

This is better advice if you're willing to spend the money. Tiki drinks are the absolute business.

I would also consider using Kaiser Penguin's recipe for Allspice Dram instead of the one you linked - I went back and took a look at it and it doesn't look amazing.

http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/pimento-dram/

Paul Clarke also has a good recipe for the spicy stuff.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
Tried this few weeks ago, it instanly became one of my favourites.

Brandy perfect
0,5 dry vremouth
0,5 sweet vermouth
3 parts brandy

If you dont have any brandy, you can always use XO cognac as I did at the first time.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Whisker Biscuit posted:

So, the holidays approach and last year's fabulous eggnog (egg nog?) thread has been consigned to the archives. I remember several people posted some amazing looking and shelf stable turbo-nog recipes. I want to replicate one or several of those for party season, but my google Fu seems to be weak. Can any of you wizards help?

I'm steeping 1/2 a bottle of rum with some cocoa beams, gonna give it a week, add 1/2 a bottle of maderia sherry, and a bottle of vs cognac, and just gonna go from there and add some chocolate mole bitters to the basic English nog recipe from there for my own personal nog

The problem with kept nogs is everything to do with the eggs and dairy, so if you make a bottle of whatever blend of spirits you wanna use and then make individual nogs as you go, that's probably the best solution IMO

Public service announcement, please dry shake all individual nogs you choose to make this season before you ice them, thank you in advance on behalf of every person that you force to nog out on yr behalf

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 30, 2012

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
All this Corpse Reviver #2 talk reminds me that I need to buy some Absinthe. I realize they can get extremely expensive - what's a decent one on the lower end of the cost spectrum?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can't speak for American markets specifically, but it terms of rinsing absinthes I can't really go past pernod's absinthe in terms of bang for buck

Tambourine mountain distillery make a really baller absinthe but its way too overpowering to adequately use in small doses, so I use it for anything that requires more than a couple of drops

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 30, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

varjoankka posted:

Tried this few weeks ago, it instanly became one of my favourites.

Brandy perfect
0,5 dry vremouth
0,5 sweet vermouth
3 parts brandy

If you dont have any brandy, you can always use XO cognac as I did at the first time.

Cognac is brandy.

Glottis posted:

All this Corpse Reviver #2 talk reminds me that I need to buy some Absinthe. I realize they can get extremely expensive - what's a decent one on the lower end of the cost spectrum?

You don't want to get cheap absinthe, it tastes terrible. If you want real absinthe (rather than Pernod or Herbsaint, which are nice, and more affordable, but less aggressive and exciting), just spring for some of the real stuff. The amount you use in a Corpse Reviver #2 is seriously like 3-9 drops. It'll last forever.

If you're in the States buy a bottle of St. George Absinthe Verte. I got it for like $60, and I expect it to be with me for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
See my personal opinion is using a really swaggered flavoursome absinthe for rinsing will gently caress with the balance of the drink, regardless of quality, but anise flavours are a thing I can easily get too much of so ymmv and so on, if you have an atomiser or a way to really regulate how much you use it its probably not an issue for people who really like absinthe in particular