Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I haven't played in a while so I didn't know about the Blue Frog dudes. Then I died of the Blue Rot after killing a lot of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just survived the blue rot. But still can't figure out how to load progams onto either cellphones or laptops :(

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Dang, once you off a DMC guard you're pretty much set for gear; it's basically a full set of clothing, armor, and two guns with ammo.

edit: Except, of course, the gas mask never has any filters for it.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 20, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Party Plane Jones posted:

Dang, once you off a DMC guard you're pretty much set for gear; it's basically a full set of clothing, armor, and two guns with ammo.

edit: Except, of course, the gas mask never has any filters for it.

I have never found a gas mask filter. I'm beginning to believe they just don't exist.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

nutranurse posted:

I have never found a gas mask filter. I'm beginning to believe they just don't exist.

I usually net several when I end up in a fight with a Blue Frog or two. Then I get blue rot and die.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I got a mask and a spare filter from killing a Blue Frog that somehow wandered close to the Cryo facility. Was in the first couple days of the game so they definitely exist :shrug:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I usually net several when I end up in a fight with a Blue Frog or two. Then I get blue rot and die.

I've actually survived the blue rot, if only by virtue of constantly spamming my character drinking tea and eating roots, plus the sweat lodge. I camped out there for what seemed like weeks, keeping myself barely alive, until finally the rot gave up and I survived. Though about 500 bucks poorer :(

Edit: So is there anything to actually do with the laptops, phones and stuff at the moment? I know you can stick "lamp" apps on them but why not just use a lighter or a torch?

Edit 2: Oh. So an unlocked laptop can be worth a LOT. How do I actually find software for it tho, beyond the junk market?

Edit 3: Just sold that data and became a bionic man. Sadly, no beeping sounds when I zoom in with my eyes :(

Edit 4: And then I accidentally got the sickness from the swamp when I ran out of gas mask filters without noticing. Which is apparently impossible to cure, even if not fatal.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 20, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

nutranurse posted:

I just edited my game files to change it so the balaclava counted as a respirator since the filters were so rare. By offing a DMC guard you get a mask anyways.

Either that or you can make it so clean rags count as a respirator, they have decently similar times to filters as to how long until they become useless.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

evilmiera posted:

Edit: So is there anything to actually do with the laptops, phones and stuff at the moment? I know you can stick "lamp" apps on them but why not just use a lighter or a torch?

Edit 2: Oh. So an unlocked laptop can be worth a LOT. How do I actually find software for it tho, beyond the junk market?

Hackers can do it, apparently, though that skill is otherwise not exactly useful.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Is there anywhere in particular I should try to be heading? Three or four games in a row now I've gone up to Zom Zom's, scavenged everything, and headed towards Detroit, but each time I've either run into a pack of dogs/dogmen or gotten killed by a Bad Mutha in my sleep despite setting noise traps.

...one time they took my rifle out of my hands and killed me with it while I was getting up :(

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Head to Zom Zom's, get some stuff for trading in your info, to the north eastish there's the ATN enclave which will heal you up, feed you, and be an early source of equipment/cash. For having an easier time about it you'll want to grab Strong/Melee/Trapping and then take a couple negative points to get Ranged. Myopia is the only one you can get rid of from what I remember (by replacing your eyes in Detroit)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

evilmiera posted:

Edit 4: And then I accidentally got the sickness from the swamp when I ran out of gas mask filters without noticing. Which is apparently impossible to cure, even if not fatal.
For what it's worth, the swamp sickness isn't that bad, and when I was playing the version just before edges/flaws had point value, I managed to have a character who shook it off after a couple weeks. Maybe not intentional but blue rot isn't supposed to be curable either I'm guessing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Swamp sickness (defoliant exposure) is incurable; it's just like malaria in that it'll lie dormant for a while and then spring back up.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Swamp sickness (defoliant exposure) is incurable; it's just like malaria in that it'll lie dormant for a while and then spring back up.
I was checking at the medic centre for diagnoses of my condition, and it had dormant defoliant exposure indicated for a while but eventually it stopped registering or triggering. Could've been a bug since resolved, and most games probably don't go into multiple weeks much less months, anyway.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Head to Zom Zom's, get some stuff for trading in your info, to the north eastish there's the ATN enclave which will heal you up, feed you, and be an early source of equipment/cash. For having an easier time about it you'll want to grab Strong/Melee/Trapping and then take a couple negative points to get Ranged. Myopia is the only one you can get rid of from what I remember (by replacing your eyes in Detroit)

Woah, you can replace your eyes? Gonna have to try to not get into New Vegas mode, implants are like destination #1.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cheston posted:

Woah, you can replace your eyes? Gonna have to try to not get into New Vegas mode, implants are like destination #1.

Replacing your eyes costs a bundle; it's around 6 grand to replace your eyes, add night vision to them, and telescopic vision.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Saw this on the death-screen.

:colbert:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Replacing your eyes costs a bundle; it's around 6 grand to replace your eyes, add night vision to them, and telescopic vision.

6.1 k to be exact. 300 for one upgrade, 200 for the other, and 5.6k for the basic set of cybereyes.

So what's the perfect weapon to take out Merga if you're going with melee weaponry? The club doesn't seem to be too good at inflicting internal injuries which seems the only kind of damage that is any use towards it.

Edit: vvv Strangely enough I actually can't. I've tried the DMC guard route about 20 times now, once even with 3 of the guys in the same square shooting at him, with me smacking him about with the warclub. Once I've gotten his arm bruised, but that's also been it. After his buff it seems only a certain range of weapons will harm him, and the guards always retreat/the enemy doesn't attack them, so no looting either.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 22, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Several betas back I took him out with a lucky shot to the head with a crowbar, but you really don't want to be anywhere near the Merga as its practically a death sentence. DMC guards do a good job at getting a lucky shot to the head in occasionally, and if not, you can always loot their corpses.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 22, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I seem to be bad at getting places in this game. I just had a start which was pretty good. I had a backpack, plenty of warm clothes, a sling and lots of stones, a can for purifying water, one of the compact sleeping bags, a strapped crowbar, and a couple of lighters. I had taken out a few bad muthas already, as ranged + athletic seems to make keeping ahead of melee guys doable.

Then a bad mutha with a twelve gauge ambushed me. BAM. One shot and I was down and super-hosed. The second shot finished me off. I think the myopia is making it harder for me to spot people.

This is what I've been using, as a kind of 'live off the land' dude. I am far from an expert though, and sure that people here know better.

How are you supposed to, you know, not die, when a gun-wielding thing wants to gently caress you?

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 22, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I wouldn't take myopia with ranged. Get rid of ranged and athletic so you can have Strong and Melee (might have to take another flaw, like insomnia?).

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Sling and pebbles is the best.

Stones are pretty much nukes, crushing and destroying everything they hit.

I've found being cocky is my own worst enemy in this game.
I had a 12 guage and 2 rounds of buckshot. Got ambushed by a dogman, thought I could take him. Ripped his arm and chest open but he managed to knock me over and tear me apart. We both died lying next to each other bleeding out.

Also I died wearing nothing but a 3 wolf moon shirt whilst vomiting and making GBS threads everywhere. I'd used my hospital gown to make a torch in the hopes of finding some water before cholera got me.

This game owns. I die in the most fantastic ways.

Croccers posted:

Saw this on the death-screen.

:colbert:

I feel like I'm going to have to start using the wiki. Choosing the wrong option at an event and having your character killed is really harsh, as it should be.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Filthy Monkey posted:

I seem to be bad at getting places in this game. I just had a start which was pretty good. I had a backpack, plenty of warm clothes, a sling and lots of stones, a can for purifying water, one of the compact sleeping bags, a strapped crowbar, and a couple of lighters. I had taken out a few bad muthas already, as ranged + athletic seems to make keeping ahead of melee guys doable.

Then a bad mutha with a twelve gauge ambushed me. BAM. One shot and I was down and super-hosed. The second shot finished me off. I think the myopia is making it harder for me to spot people.

This is what I've been using, as a kind of 'live off the land' dude. I am far from an expert though, and sure that people here know better.

How are you supposed to, you know, not die, when a gun-wielding thing wants to gently caress you?

My go-to setup is Strong/Melee (since you get a dogman coat right off the bat), trapping (since you do really need it) and ranged. Choose whatever combination of points you need to get that. I'm not really a fan of the new point system versus the old system where you got a set number of skills and each flaw added another skill to get; there is a mod that puts that back in the game. http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/3932

Metabolism isn't actually a problem a lot of the time, since by having trapping you're usually swimming in food. Myopia you can deal with by having magnifying optics (scopes on straps) attached to your neck; later on you can replace it with
mechanical eyes from Clinic in DMC.

There's some quality of life changes I usually mod in myself every game because it's sort of annoying otherwise. Adding additional room in bow inventory is the top of that since quivers don't exist.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 22, 2014

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So what sort of mods are there out there? I haven't been able to find any as of yet.

Edit: Oh, right, of course they're on the official forums.

Edit 2: Huh, doesn't seem to be any cyberware mods yet. Prime market then.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 22, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Hilariously if you mod your game so that you have a respirator somehow (because actually finding filters is a massive pain in the rear end under the best of circumstances) you'll see animals spawn in the Great Swamp area, get sick, and then die before they ever manage to get north of the swamp.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Made it to Detroit, at least. I was trying to brew a bunch of tannin tea, but now the things on the ground aren't showing up in the inventory screen.

Here is the crafting screen.

Here is what I see on the ground in the inventory screen. I would like to bottle my tea, but no go. When I open the screen I see the stuff for a second, then it all disappears.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
See the little icon to the right of that big box in the ground inventory screen? That'll rearrange everything. If it's not in there on the ground then check your camp or if you're using a vehicle (travois usually), check that.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hilariously if you mod your game so that you have a respirator somehow (because actually finding filters is a massive pain in the rear end under the best of circumstances) you'll see animals spawn in the Great Swamp area, get sick, and then die before they ever manage to get north of the swamp.

Which mod would that be?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Which mod would that be?

I think there's an xml somewhere in the game files you can tune by hand.

I found out something fun: you can wear two binoculars around your neck at once. Good condition ones are worth like 50 bucks so free money!

Jarf posted:

Sling and pebbles is the best.

Stones are pretty much nukes, crushing and destroying everything they hit.

Is the sling a better choice than the bow? I usually craft the bow and spear ASAP and can take out Bad Muthas most times but always get wrecked every time I get jumped by dogmen or infected by the blue frog guys so I haven't ever made it to Grayling or Saginaw.

Or are you expected to have a gun and ammo by the time you go north?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

One hot tip is to use athletic to become the king of spear combat. Like, the spear can stab at three tiles range, and the almost 100% sure sprint option from athletic allows you to stay at 3 tiles at basically all times. You need to get a bit of feel for the combat flow and for what enemies are likely to do, but I've been constantly owning human melee enemies without having any melee skill myself. Oh, and I'm not sure what skill gives you the obstacle/leg trip moves, but they are also really great for spear fighting. Get your enemy to trip, advance to 3 tiles range while they stand up and then stab. Bonus points if they trip while being in stab range already.

What I'm saying is that I'm the king of the wasteland as long as you don't have a gun :v:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

One hot tip is to use athletic to become the king of spear combat. Like, the spear can stab at three tiles range, and the almost 100% sure sprint option from athletic allows you to stay at 3 tiles at basically all times. You need to get a bit of feel for the combat flow and for what enemies are likely to do, but I've been constantly owning human melee enemies without having any melee skill myself. Oh, and I'm not sure what skill gives you the obstacle/leg trip moves, but they are also really great for spear fighting. Get your enemy to trip, advance to 3 tiles range while they stand up and then stab. Bonus points if they trip while being in stab range already.

What I'm saying is that I'm the king of the wasteland as long as you don't have a gun :v:

I think obstacle and leg trip come from strong and melee but I could be wrong because I've tried to skimp out on those since they got super expensive.

There's also this "lure into a trap" move that seems to never fail that comes with trapping which is another example of how trapping is the king of skills.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

Which mod would that be?

Open the game xml, look for items that cover your face (such as clean rags since they perform similarly to filters) or the balaclava, switch out the number 734 for item properties (which means crude air filters) for 605 (which means respirator).

You can also change it so that arrow stacks are higher or so that bows carry more ammunition, as well as changing the size of backpacks and the like. Most changes like that are pretty simple. If you want more skill points look for nskillpoints.

Also, if you manage to come up on a DMC guard at close range and have a bow with the blast away ability, it actually works pretty good. I've offed troopers within two sets of shots.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 22, 2014

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Open the game xml, look for items that cover your face (such as clean rags since they perform similarly to filters) or the balaclava, switch out the number 734 for item properties (which means crude air filters) for 605 (which means respirator).

You can also change it so that arrow stacks are higher or so that bows carry more ammunition, as well as changing the size of backpacks and the like. Most changes like that are pretty simple. If you want more skill points look for nskillpoints.

Also, if you manage to come up on a DMC guard at close range and have a bow with the blast away ability, it actually works pretty good. I've offed troopers within two sets of shots.

Ah, thought it was some cool kind of mod made by players. I was wondering how hard it would be to just mod in new things like more ware, which wouldn't require any art assets.

Edit: If you have the Dog-Be-Gone, you can camp out near the big city, wait for guards to arrive, and watch them slaughter the arriving dogmen. Not to mention you can then pop in and cut up the corpse, and immediately sell off the meat for a quick few hundred bucks. The risks involved are simply chancing the possibility that they will catch up and eat you first.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 22, 2014

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah the spearguy build is my favourite as well. You stab so accurately, and with all the extra bleed and stun from taking too much damage, opponents are pretty much screwed the moment you get your first poke in.

Pity all my promising runs with it tend to die off due to getting shot while sleeping or accidentally eating spoiled meat I was intending to destroy and die puking and pooping all over the place. :v:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Grr, my games keep on ending with me searching for an enemy, and then eating a bullet to the head. I am still not sure on how to avoid that situation. Should I just be keeping my head down until I identify what is around?

I did try lockpicking, and have to admit it is pretty sweet. The quality of loot improvement is rather drastic on anyplace it works. Suddenly I am pulling 100% guns and laptops and poo poo out, which I didn't see a lot of before. The bonus even stacks with the crowbar. I dropped trapping for it, and it feels like a pretty solid switch. I have no problems keeping myself fed with botany. The only thing I find I really miss are friction fires, and only until I find a lighter.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

This game would work really well on an iSlab. Have you thought of porting it to other platforms now that 1.0 has hit?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jarf posted:

This game would work really well on an iSlab. Have you thought of porting it to other platforms now that 1.0 has hit?

Checking the forums, he's thought about it but wouldn't commit until the main release, when he'd be exploring some options. No updates since then that I've read tho.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think he wants to see how well the game sells before he commits to porting it to tablets, since if it doesn't do well he'd be better off spending time working on new projects. Apparently it's already sold pretty decently though, especially on gog, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Unrelated to that, I finally got around to playing the game again and there is so much more stuff than the last time I played. I managed to finish the main plotline fairly quickly but I skipped a lot of the side areas so I've been running around with a new guy checking them out. The war club you can buy from the ATN enclave is loving incredible with a strong/tough/melee character. I'm shattering the bones of dogmen on my first hit and following up with a killing blow before they even get a strike in, and the thing is durable as hell - I've killed a couple dogmen, an enfield horror, and a bunch of random bad muthas and dogs and such with it and it's still at 95%!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

So at Grayling, can you just take multiple foil coats with you and not need to worry about the box from Stoat/the mechanical doll/having Hacking? I'm playing Strong/Melee/Tough/Trapping, got a rifle from Stoat instead of the box (which I only knew about from the wiki, is it still in?), and couldn't get the Doll, so I'm wondering how I'd make it through this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
I like all the new stuff - so nice to see this game finished.

What are the L-Thyroxine synthetic thyroid hormones used for?

• Locked thread