Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Malloreon posted:

Sam Harris isn't stupid or racist. He simply believes that Abrahamic religion is a gigantic net negative for humanity.

So he IS stupid then, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't really find that description of Sam Harris to be accurate beyond the standard un-nuanced hyperbole you get every time his name is brought up

I dunno man lets add this up:

Sam Harris believes
-in torturing prisoners
-in rigorously profiling anyone who looks vaguely “muslim”
-that Islam is inherently a violent religion
-in casually berating people of any religious persuasion

Sam Harris should also
-stay out of philosophy

He's pretty much a lovely proto-dawkins with a side of martial arts

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Watermelon City posted:

In Our Time "Frederick the Great" was fairly heated. The Prussian king was apparently gay and this rumor really upsets one of the guests, to the point where the podcast gets an addendum of extra argument compared to the radio version.

Is Melvyn Bragg tolerable in this episode? I had to stop listening to "In Our Time" because he kept berating his guests and trying to railroad the discussion.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

The problem here isn't dan carlin, the problem is that Sam Harris is a completely stupid racist piece of poo poo who tries to constantly sugarcoat his fake-intellectualist arguments. He's a charlatan who takes advantage of other people ignorance to make statements that if it was ever said about any other group (e.g. jews, African Americans,etc.) He wouldn't have a career anymore. I am really disappointed that Dan Carlin keeps entertaining this creep.

What race of people is he racist against again? Am I racist if I say that a religion where ants or a burning bush talk to people is dumb and anyone who believes this stuff really happened is dumb? I think throwing accusations of racism around like this devalues the word. Save it for the real racists please.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

WEH posted:

I dunno man lets add this up:

Sam Harris believes
-in torturing prisoners
-that Islam is inherently a violent religion
-in casually berating people of any religious persuasion

Sam Harris should also
-stay out of philosophy

He's pretty much a lovely proto-dawkins with a side of martial arts

I agree with most of this although I think it's fair to examine a religion, including islam, and criticize parts of its scripture since quite a few bad things are coming from people being indoctrinated with a strict fundamentalist interpretation of it.

Or you could just be lazy and call him a racist.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

adebisi lives posted:

What race of people is he racist against again?

People who ain't white.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

People who ain't white.

I hate to break this to you but there are white Muslims, the group of people sam harris is accused of being unfair to.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

adebisi lives posted:

I hate to break this to you but there are white Muslims, the group of people sam harris is accused of being unfair to.

He's also extremely bigoted against white muslims, as well as being racist as hell against everyone who isn't white. Sorry that he's your hero or whatever, but his ideas are poo poo and he's terrible.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

He's also extremely bigoted against white muslims, as well as being racist as hell against everyone who isn't white. Sorry that he's your hero or whatever, but his ideas are poo poo and he's terrible.

Haha I don't even like sam harris I'm just marveling at the low bar being set for racism today I guess.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

adebisi lives posted:

Haha I don't even like sam harris I'm just marveling at the low bar being set for racism today I guess.

I did not know that being racist is a low bar for being racist. That seems a bit insane, friend.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

I did not know that being racist is a low bar for being racist. That seems a bit insane, friend.

Racist - Full Definition
1 :a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 :racial prejudice or discrimination

Can you provide evidence sam harris fits this bill other than he says mean things about islam, a multiracial religion?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

adebisi lives posted:

Racist - Full Definition
1 :a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Can you provide evidence sam harris fits this bill other than he says mean things about islam, a multiracial religion?

You're being pedantic. He makes sweeping (incredibly wrong and offensive) generalizations about a group of people because of a trait they share in common that has no relation to the generalizations he makes. He's a racist.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

adebisi lives posted:

Racist - Full Definition

Yes, the fact that he's repeatedly said racist things. Just go listen to him.

What you're doing is like asking how Rush Limbaugh is racist.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

adebisi lives posted:

Racist - Full Definition

WEH posted:

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

PerilPastry posted:

Is Melvyn Bragg tolerable in this episode? I had to stop listening to "In Our Time" because he kept berating his guests and trying to railroad the discussion.
Part of the charm of IoT is Melvyn rapping the knuckles of experts who digress just a little too much, imo. They've a schedule to keep, after all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WEH posted:

I thought they were pretty good natured about it! Both sides were very clear about it not being possible to say for sure and the dude who suggested restraint just didn't get a chance to really say his piece on air.

(frederick was gay tho lol cmon)

I can understand being annoyed at how some historians latch onto tiny details of someone's life, take them out of context, and draw huge conclusions from them. When your primary source for something is rumormongering from people who are hostile toward that historical figure, you shouldn't just accept the statements at face value.

Frederick the Great probably was gay, though. Like 70/30 on the odds that he was.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Show me your gay calculation.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Has Carlin said yet what the next episode's topic will be or when it will be released? I figure it's due out in the next couple months given his usual clip.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Another amazing Carlin impression from Colbert this week.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I just listened to two episodes of The Lesser Bonapartes (Martin Luther and Alcibiades) and... does co-host get better as things go along? His audio quality is pretty bad (pretty sure he's calling in) and his delivery is rough. I'll stick it out if it improves later because I like the idea of the podcast, but it was tough to make it through the Luther one.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The audio is annoying at times, like how it can get so low I can't even hear it when I jack my car speakers up.

Other than that it's pretty fantastic so far. The best being the Bronze Age Collapse series.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
The audio gets better.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

His delivery doesn't get any better though. It was pretty bad in the Three Kingdoms series, he tried to tell the folk story about the 10,000 arrows and the whole thing was an incoherent mess. I really like the podcast when the host is talking, but the co-host really needs to practice his material and delivery.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Show me your gay calculation.

You sound just like my old teachers. "You have to show your work!" they'd tell me ever time I turned in my homosexuality homework.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Random Stranger posted:

You sound just like my old teachers. "You have to show your work!" they'd tell me ever time I turned in my homosexuality homework.

Well maybe if you would just do it you wouldn't have to redo all the butt analysis assignments over and over!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
How hard is it to gently caress Three Kingdoms up???

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

WEH posted:

Part of the charm of IoT is Melvyn rapping the knuckles of experts who digress just a little too much, imo. They've a schedule to keep, after all.

Oh, I hear you. The host has to keep things moving and on point - but in the episodes I listened to back in the day Bragg came across as a real hectoring bastard who seemed personally offended when the guests he had on would misunderstand a poorly worded question or offer an answer that didn't conform to his expectations. It was like he was talking to schoolboys and not experts in their fields.

Anyway, he seemed perfectly fine in the newer episodes I just listened to so I'm happy to give "In our Time" another chance :)

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Nintendo Kid posted:

So is he racist in that he refuses to associate with these people or advocates for laws discriminating against them, or racist in the Bill Maher "haha he makes mean-spirited jokes about people he doesn't like" way?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Missed opportunity: homowork

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Rodyle posted:

Another amazing Carlin impression from Colbert this week.

Can you post a link? Really curious!

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Has Carlin said yet what the next episode's topic will be or when it will be released? I figure it's due out in the next couple months given his usual clip.

quote:

Dan Carlin ‏@HardcoreHistory Jun 9

. @mohesca next show will deal with ancient history... But I'm not going to tell you what the subject is! ;)

quote:

Roy Withers ‏@roywwithers Jul 15

@HardcoreHistory I know you have a podcast episode of Alexander the Great. But do you plan to go into more detail on him in the future?
0 retweets 0 favorites

Dan Carlin ‏@HardcoreHistory Jul 15

@roywwithers maybe a bit sooner than you think ;)

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cannot wait. I don't know what it is but I get super excited when a new episode comes out.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Rodyle posted:

The audio is annoying at times, like how it can get so low I can't even hear it when I jack my car speakers up.

Other than that it's pretty fantastic so far. The best being the Bronze Age Collapse series.

Started with the Bronze Age. It's good, fun. I'm getting used to podcasts and lovely audio, don't even notice it any more. (tbh there are worse offenders out there, with crackle pop and occasional overdrive for 50 minutes)

e: yeah that co-host is not so good.

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 19, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Finally! I love HH, but the two world wars are the least interesting part of history to me.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

gently caress yes. Been jonesing for another ancient history episode. I wonder if it will be a big multi-part series dealing with Alexander and the funeral games? In that old Macedonian Soap Opera episode you get the sense he thought the funeral games were under-represented but also really difficult to cover.

PerilPastry posted:

Oh, I hear you. The host has to keep things moving and on point - but in the episodes I listened to back in the day Bragg came across as a real hectoring bastard who seemed personally offended when the guests he had on would misunderstand a poorly worded question or offer an answer that didn't conform to his expectations. It was like he was talking to schoolboys and not experts in their fields.

Anyway, he seemed perfectly fine in the newer episodes I just listened to so I'm happy to give "In our Time" another chance :)

If it helps, I got this vibe too and it put me off the show for a while, but in Melvyn's defense the old episodes were like 22 minutes devoted to a complex topic with three guests. The show is much better now that they've basically doubled the length. God knows why they tried fitting in three guests in 22 minutes to begin with.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 20, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's HH so it'll be great anyway but man I am sick of Alexander.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I think the thing with Bragg is that, although he is definitely being a little rude because he has to be for the show to work, it definitely must come across as worse on the radio than it does for everyone in the studio. Plus, bear in mind that the majority of guests on any particular episode are repeat visitors, so it's not like they're total strangers, and it seems that nobody gets too offended by it.

On a different note, writing this did just remind me of one of my all-time favourite In Our Time moments, when they were discussing The Tempest and a woman ends the episode by saying that Propsero deserved to have his daughter raped by Caliban. Stunned silence all round.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
For some reason I'm still subscribed to Sword and Scale. Today's episode was a special on Jonestown. He even interviewed the author of the excellent A Thousand Lives. I thought maybe this could turn me around on it.

Except it turned out to be about 5 minutes of interview. 20 minutes of background and then just an hour of the final suicide tape. Very disappointing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

So is he racist in that he refuses to associate with these people or advocates for laws discriminating against them, or racist in the Bill Maher "haha he makes mean-spirited jokes about people he doesn't like" way?

he's an angry bigot and if your answer to that is seriously "he's not racist, just a cultural chauvinist and general bigot :smug: neener neener" then loving laffo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

GraPar posted:

I think the thing with Bragg is that, although he is definitely being a little rude because he has to be for the show to work, it definitely must come across as worse on the radio than it does for everyone in the studio. Plus, bear in mind that the majority of guests on any particular episode are repeat visitors, so it's not like they're total strangers, and it seems that nobody gets too offended by it.
These are both good points to bear in mind and getting academics to stay on track can be a lot like herding cats on some issues.

Of course, I think there's episodes where he's calmer and where he's ruder (one of the Industrial Revolution episodes comes to mind), but he often strikes a necessary balance. It's also gotten better, I feel like, with the introduction of the post-show extras, where we can at least hear some off-the-air relaxation from the clock.