Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

So, all I can take from this thread really is that libertarians are like virgins telling others how they should have sex.

Whenever I press my few libertarian friends for details, they always come back with "Well, the free market will form that.". It's like a bunch of people who claim to not believe in a higher power....believing in a higher power. Replace "free market" with "God" and it kinda works as a religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Somfin posted:

I think the realisation that as soon as he came back we were gonna ask him why he was calling for nation-wide mob justice was too much for him. He can't lose the racism fight, because denial is still a functional defence, but he'll lose the "isn't that just a mob but with constant surveillance" argument. He also can't accuse us of strawmanning, ad hominemming or windmilling, because we're reading information that he provided and comprehending it. He'll lose the argument, so he chooses (as is his libertarian right) to no longer patronise our thread where he will lose and instead patronise another thread.

Strange that he went and tried to sell libertarian anti-racism soothing cream. We might have hurt his feelings.

Well in his last two or three threads he had a lot more time to go over a bunch of nonsense talking points before us goons went and pointed out that he was advocating for a mob rule libertopia. This time we skipped to the last stage of his script from the word Go.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 14, 2014

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Well in his last two or three threads he had a lot more time to go over a bunch of nonsense talking points before us goons went and pointed out that he was advocating for a mob rule libertopia. This time we skipped to the last stage of his script from the word Go.

"Jrodefeld is the most predictable of all posters. But, rest assured, this is simply another time that we have destroyed his philosophy, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it."

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I have to say Jrod has convinced me. Previously I was a staunch Democrat, but I think I might just have become a libertarian. His arguments are just so convincing. Just now on my way home someone cut me off in traffic. Naturally this constitutes an "aggressive" behavior and a "forceful action" against me. So I will be assembling a group to go and independently persecute this person in accordance of Jrod's laws of personal ownership.

In all seriousness it was a slow day at work and I just hopped onto the Jrod crazy train. What the gently caress. How can anyone be this deluded? I used to room with a hard core (disband the police, all tax is theft, lives off Mom and Dad) libertarian. We're friends to this day and as long as he doesn't talk politics he's a certifiably cool dude.

Has no one ever sat these people down and explained to them that the core tenets of their ideology, the very foundations of it are completely rotten? Everything they want is based off the idea that people will always be nice to each other, no one will ever take advantage of anyone else, people will always be generous, caring, considerate, and fair. If that were true we wouldn't need a government in the first place. The government exists because people are poo poo to each other when something they want is on the line.

Libertarianism just seems to be the political party for spoiled children. "Give me everything I want and no one can tell me what to do."

If tomorrow the government went *poof* do they honestly think that every private industry would not be a vicious monopoly by the end of the week? That vigilante law would not reign supreme? That the country (which would not exist anymore) would not instantly devolve into a feudal system of a rich upper class and destitute serfs?

I have to hand it to the people in this thread. I'm not as well read as somemost of you so I can't rattle off studies and papers to reinforce my points and as such I'm a poor debater. Hats off to you gentlemen and women.

Hope this didn't ramble too much. I generally make a rule of not posting while angry, but gat-dayum.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Travic posted:

Libertarianism just seems to be the political party for spoiled children. "Give me everything I want and no one can tell me what to do."

Yes, but, critically: draped in a coat of moral righteousness. J-Rod believes his belief system is the most moral because it does not require force. A society without force sounds nice. A mostly unattainable ideal to strive for, at least. But this is a red herring; he does not believe in a better world, without force. He believes in a worse world, with at least as much force, just called something else.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
More critically, I think, is that while the end-game of their philosophy is never going to happen, they support real policies that screw people over in the interim. This doesn't benefit their ideal of hands-off government, it benefits the ruling elite.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

"3 million new posts?! I guess JRod has replied!"

Nope :(

What I find amazing is that so often government is criticized by these people for being bureaucratic and inefficient. The proposed solution here involves contracts for EVERYTHING. Hell, even the legal system comment earlier would require, at least, twice as many court proceedings per dispute.

If JRod does come back I'd really like just one person to go through one worked example to show how his proposed system to show him how it's never going to help.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

One thing most libertarians don't take into account is that most people don't wan't to live in a "true" libertopia. Having to deal with every single aspect of your life and property sounds incredibly stressful and leaves no time for doing things you find fun or interesting. As corrupt as the US government is, at least it handles a lot of aspects of society that I wouldn't want to myself.

Ultimately it seems libertarians think effort=success ignoring that individuals and events do not occur in isolated bubbles. They ignore that there are many circumstances that affect their lives (such as being born into a well off white family like almost all libertarians)that are completely outside their control and a libertarian society would do nothing to fix this.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
This is what comes to mind every time I hear Libertarians talking about the Minimum Income, or any social programs, really:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3RHnKYNvx8

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Cnidaria posted:

One thing most libertarians don't take into account is that most people don't wan't to live in a "true" libertopia. Having to deal with every single aspect of your life and property sounds incredibly stressful and leaves no time for doing things you find fun or interesting. As corrupt as the US government is, at least it handles a lot of aspects of society that I wouldn't want to myself.

Ultimately it seems libertarians think effort=success ignoring that individuals and events do not occur in isolated bubbles. They ignore that there are many circumstances that affect their lives (such as being born into a well off white family like almost all libertarians)that are completely outside their control and a libertarian society would do nothing to fix this.

I could be wrong, but weren't the original people who coined the term "libertarian" French left-wing collectivists who believed that a strong communal support would "liberate" you by not having you worry about your basic necessities?

I swear I remember reading that somewhere.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

mojo1701a posted:

I could be wrong, but weren't the original people who coined the term "libertarian" French left-wing collectivists who believed that a strong communal support would "liberate" you by not having you worry about your basic necessities?

I swear I remember reading that somewhere.

Probably, Noam Chomsky was quoted upthread as saying that libertarians as Americans understand it is pretty much the opposite of its historic meaning.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

CrazyTolradi posted:

So, all I can take from this thread really is that libertarians are like virgins telling others how they should have sex.

Whenever I press my few libertarian friends for details, they always come back with "Well, the free market will form that.". It's like a bunch of people who claim to not believe in a higher power....believing in a higher power. Replace "free market" with "God" and it kinda works as a religion.

FDR dealt with these people too:

FDR posted:

These millionaires are a funny crowd. They are perfectly willing to go along with lip service to broad objectives, but when you ask them to help put them into effect by any form of practical means, they howl in opposition and decline to suggest any other course.

Basically, this is lesson one in dealing with Libertarians.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
Those with money and subsequent influence over the political structure have always believed that they, and they alone, are more entitled than anyone and everyone else to have things exactly their way, as they want it, when they want it, without argument or complaint. After all if they did not deserve this, then they would not be the ones with the money and influence, would they?

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."

Krampus Grewcock posted:

I used to be libertarian in my youth, but then I spent 5 minutes on the lowest rung of a corrupt corporate ladder and was cured of it right quick.

Corporations are chartered by the state.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
In libertopia, people could freely associate into corporations and then forge contracts that gave them limited liability.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Socrates16 posted:

Yes, go on.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
Every single corporation is chartered by the state.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Babylon Astronaut posted:

In libertopia, people could freely associate into corporations and then forge contracts that gave them limited liability.

You wouldn't even need to do that. Since there's no legal system to appeal the decision of the corporation's handpicked arbitrators, you either accept the arbitration contract as a condition of doing business, or you don't get access to the road/medical treatment/subprime credit/what-have-you that you need.

Socrates16 posted:

Every single corporation is chartered by the state.

And in libertopia their charters will be enforced by DRO's instead under one of the many competing systems of law. But hey, good luck using the economic power of the $500 you need to buy cancer medicine to convince Pfizer to agree to use a legal system that will impose full liability on them!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 15, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Hey, that's just what the guy in his avatar said about it.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

You wouldn't even need to do that. Since there's no legal system to appeal the decision of the corporation's handpicked arbitrators, you either accept the arbitration contract as a condition of doing business, or you don't get access to the road/medical treatment/subprime credit/what-have-you that you need.

You're right. The state is just and pure. Ferguson has shown us the way.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Socrates16 posted:

You sound tired. Maybe you should take a break carrying all those strawmen around. Maybe try arguing in good faith for a refreshing change of pace.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Socrates16 posted:

Yeah the police suck, let's fix it by letting Wal-Mart hire Blackwater to keep the peace.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
"It should be clear...that corporations are not at all monopolistic privileges; they are free associations of individuals pooling their capital. On the purely free market, such men would simply announce to their creditors that their liability is limited to the capital specifically invested in the corporation, and that beyond this their personal funds are not liable for debts, as they would be under a partnership arrangement. It then rests with the sellers and lenders to this corporation to decide whether or not they will transact business with it. If they do, then they proceed at their own risk. Thus, the government does not grant corporations a privilege of limited liability; anything announced and freely contracted for in advance is a right of a free individual, not a special privilege. It is not necessary that governments grant charters to corporations."
\|

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Berk Berkly posted:

You sound tired. Maybe you should take a break carrying all those strawmen around. Maybe try arguing in good faith for a refreshing change of pace.

You're right. No one except the ancaps has used strawmen in this thread.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Socrates16 posted:

What do you think not even being bound by the weak corporate regulations we already have would do for corporate transparency?

Augustin Iturbide
Jun 4, 2012
Is every action by a government body at any level the actions of 'The State' or just the bad ones?

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah the police suck, let's fix it by letting Wal-Mart hire Blackwater to keep the peace.

Walmart is so scary they've murdered more people than the police in the US by far.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I like government regulations because I don't like to have to sit down and do a bunch of paperwork and research every nuance of everything when I try to do anything. Like, I don't want to have to research which restaurant has tasty food that ALSO won't kill me every time I eat out. I don't want to research the companies that do the independent testing to make sure the food is safe to make sure they're on the level. On top of that I don't want to figure out which restaurants my DRO has security agreements with so I don't get ripped off.

Call me lazy but that sounds like a real loving pain to do every time I want to go out and do something. How is that MORE freedom than what we have now, where I can just leave the house and go somewhere knowing they have to follow food safety laws? I don't have to research anything beyond 'does this restaurant have tasty food?' That seems like a lot more freedom to me imo

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Augustin Iturbide posted:

Is every action by a government body at any level the actions of 'The State' or just the bad ones?

You're right. The table crumbs that the state gives poor people more than makes up for all that it steals and destroys for poor people.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

platedlizard posted:

I like government regulations because I don't like to have to sit down and do a bunch of paperwork and research every nuance of everything when I try to do anything. Like, I don't want to have to research which restaurant has tasty food that ALSO won't kill me every time I eat out. I don't want to research the companies that do the independent testing to make sure the food is safe to make sure they're on the level. On top of that I don't want to figure out which restaurants my DRO has security agreements with so I don't get ripped off.

Call me lazy but that sounds like a real loving pain to do every time I want to go out and do something. How is that MORE freedom than what we have now, where I can just leave the house and go somewhere knowing they have to follow food safety laws? I don't have to research anything beyond 'does this restaurant have tasty food?' That seems like a lot more freedom to me imo

You're right. Restaurants would just be randomly murdering people if not for our benevolent god, the state.

Augustin Iturbide
Jun 4, 2012
Man, I hope you don't think you're making any good arguments here.

edit: Sorry, you said several stupid things, not just one.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Man, I hope you don't think you're making any good arguments here.

edit: Sorry, you said several stupid things, not just one.

You're right. Every statist argument on this thread has been totally coherent and not boot licking at all.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trick question, everything the government does is by definition bad.

Socrates16 posted:

Walmart is so scary they've murdered more people than the police in the US by far.

Maybe you should look up Wal-Mart's human rights record in countries where the awful state isn't enforcing labor laws.

But hey, you didn't mention Blackwater so I guess you're cool with factory owners hiring them for security then?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Socrates16 posted:

Explain how private police forces would be better than state-ran police forces. Take your time.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Socrates16 posted:

I mean, they would have indirectly, if not for subsistence programs that keep their employees fed.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

winegums posted:

Explain how private police forces would be better than state-ran police forces. Take your time.

Every single fear of the privatized police force is entirely conjectural. The reality of the horror that is the state police force is factual and observable.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Socrates16 posted:

Every single fear of the privatized police force is entirely conjectural. The reality of the horror that is the state police force is factual and observable.

The Pinkertons: totally conjectural made-up organization.

Ditto ISIS.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

bobtheconqueror posted:

I mean, they would have indirectly, if not for subsistence programs that keep their employees fed.

gently caress Walmart.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Socrates16 posted:

You're right. Restaurants would just be randomly murdering people if not for our benevolent god, the state.

Look at this chump not knowing about state enforced sanitation standards and health inspections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Socrates16 posted:

That's actually what used to happen before food regulations so yeah, glad you see the light finally.

• Locked thread