Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I don't think that Jasper is a fusion, but I do think she got dumped by her old fusion partner.

It's like Garnet said: Jasper is mad 'cause she's single.

Of course, I'm not saying that losing her girlfriend is the ONLY reason Jasper acts like a jerk. I also think that, deep down, Jasper just really enjoys punching stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Jasper would definitely be a big fan of the Black Lancers.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I really want Jasper to do a face turn at some point, just so we get the chance to see Steven being Steven at her.

Probably won't happen, but Steven needs more grumpy people to bounce off of.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Krampus Grewcock posted:

Jasper would definitely be a big fan of the Black Lancers.
Jasper would loving love that and the Rosen Ritter.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Megaspel posted:

I want to admit something... I'm a fusion.

Steven Universe has accidentally created a new gender for people to identify with.
Swell.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Say Nothing posted:

Steven Universe has accidentally created a new gender for people to identify with.
Swell.

As if that wasn't an intended outcome along with gemsonas and fusion-shipping.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
I'm a fusion too. My component gems were spermicite and egg...icite.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I don't totally buy the theory of Jasper being a fusion, but I don't think the fact that we've only seen one gem on her is necessarily proof that she's not a fusion. It's possible that she has another gem that's obscured by her clothing, like how Steven's gem usually is and how Amethyst's is partially obscured. If Jasper was ashamed to be a fusion then it would make sense for her to hide one of her gems, but then again, since Gems are mass produced, I think most Gems would be able to tell immediately if she was a fusion since she wouldn't be a "standard" model.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
I'll entertain the theory if there's some real foreshadowing for it or if we have a major twist with no foreshadowing (at which point I'll be a bit sad for the show). Until then it's an invisible teapot in space, you know? A flying spaghetti monster, much as I hate to mention it

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

When Jasper fuses with Lapis, there are very obviously only two gems in the pre-fusion shiny blob thing.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

XboxPants posted:

(a good example is that one of the most basic premises of the show is a "reverse escapism" concept where a perfect amazing fantasy character falls in love with a down to earth normal human because he's not a magical amazing fantasy creature, and the things that make him great, and that she values about him, are all the non-fantasy, normal human, "flawed" aspects of him. all the theories about greg being an immortal caveman or whatever would fly right in the face of that, so regardless of the fact that there's little in-world "evidence" against it, it's still a nonsense theory)

Your citing of "reverse escapism" reminded me of this interview clip I saw recently (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9rQlh0KxYo) where Rebecca talks about it:

Rebecca Sugar posted:

It's always been our theory of the show -- this sort of reverse-escapism theory, which is a fantasy world [where] fantasy characters became interested in real life and wanted to participate in that. And Steven is the son of a human being and a Crystal Gem and he's like the product of fantasy having this love affair with reality and all the imperfections of real life could be beautiful and fascinating to someone. And those are the sort of things that are exotic and foreign and interesting to these characters who are used to the impossible perfection of their fantasy world.

So count me among those who would be shocked if Greg was anything other than just a regular human guy.

The Jasper-as-fusion stuff makes zero sense to me, but fandom is weird. Saw something go past tumblr the other day while looking at fanart where someone was speculating that Connie's father is likely to be kidnapped because Lisa's father being kidnapped by a one-eyed man in Unfamiliar Familiar is *obviously* foreshadowing...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Say Nothing posted:

Swell.

You joke, but it's actually really cool to have Steven Universe and it be all about a bunch of non binary characters. SU is awesome with stuff like that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to thank Moltrey for gifting me an avatar certificate. Now you can stare at this lovely nonsense.

Here's the one I didn't use if any of you want it (I remade it to be slower).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skippy McPants posted:

I really want Jasper to do a face turn at some point, just so we get the chance to see Steven being Steven at her.

Probably won't happen, but Steven needs more grumpy people to bounce off of.

Yeah we do need that, although if we want Jasper, Peridot, and Lapis to join up with Steven and the others we'd need for them to find a reason to want to stay on Earth and protect it

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lapis's reason for siding with earth: it's got steven on it

after all the poo poo that's gone down he's probably the only thing in the universe (heh) that she feels okay about

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

axleblaze posted:

I'd like to thank Moltrey for gifting me an avatar certificate. Now you can stare at this lovely nonsense.
The loop makes it look like Pearl is rolling her eyes and that's perfect.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Quinton posted:

Your citing of "reverse escapism" reminded me of this interview clip I saw recently (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9rQlh0KxYo) where Rebecca talks about it:

So count me among those who would be shocked if Greg was anything other than just a regular human guy.

Yeah, I just watched that video recently. There's a bunch of videos where she talks about the show, I'd recommend checking them out. I would never tell someone they have to listen to an artist explain their work to be able to understand it, but somehow these just seem worthwhile.

Maybe it's because she's just giving really nicely articulated accounts of the themes that are already really obviously present in the show, like the "reverse-escapism" term; and so, it doesn't feel like she's telling you "oh ho ho, you thought the show was about this, but REALLY it's about this! and if you disagree you're wrong, haha, you dunce", and instead it just feels like she's giving you a really nice, cheerful summary of everything.

It also helps a lot that she's such a cool person and just seems to enjoy life so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Vp7XgqcUM

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 23, 2015

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I wonder why Gems only seem change their default look only when they get defeated.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tollymain posted:

lapis's reason for siding with earth: it's got steven on it

after all the poo poo that's gone down he's probably the only thing in the universe (heh) that she feels okay about

You make a good point, but that's not really healthy.

If Lapis does join the team (and I hope she does) Steven better spend some time getting her other friends and a hobby before she develops some serious co-dependency issues AKA starts turning into Pearl.

Edit:

Hihohe posted:

I wonder why Gems only seem change their default look only when they get defeated.

That's just how their species works:

Saiyans get stronger every time they almost die, and Gems get more fashionable. These are the facts of life.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 23, 2015

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hihohe posted:

Probably because it's as good time as any. You "died", might as well come back with new look. I'd love it the Gems did more stuff like in Beach Party, where they wear a different outfit, but that's a lotta work. Also I guess Amethyst is next up for a beatdown so she finally get a new outfit.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

^-- yeah, what Moltrey says is basically how I interpret this~

Hihohe posted:

If you want an answer via in-show terms:

RebeccaSugar posted:

They have a permanent form that they keep all the time-- but if that form takes too much damage they have to regenerate a new one. That's when they have a chance to reinvent, if they want!
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2e4gmx/i_am_rebecca_sugar_creator_of_steven_universe_and/cjw2su8

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If Lapis does join the team (and I hope she does) Steven better spend some time getting her other friends and a hobby before she develops some serious co-dependency issues AKA starts turning into Pearl.

Based on some of the crew's twitter feeds (Lauren Zuke in particular), Lapis does at least have a deep, abiding love of crop tops. So she's got that! :D

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 23, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If anything the finale should've shown that the show's not doing stupid twists that sabotage its own themes and storytelling to try to outsmart the audience like a bad DM in an Dungeons and Dragons game. Garnet being a fusion was communicated throughout all of season 1 and the main argument against it was from the experience of stupid clever twist shows - that it was too obvious. We're not going have awful "no means yes" poo poo like Greg actually being at the gem war because he said he wasn't or Jasper being a fusion because she said she isn't.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Based on some of the crew's twitter feeds (Lauren Zuke in particular), Lapis does at least have a deep, abiding love of crop tops. So she's got that! :D

Storyboard Artist Lauren Zuke posted:

I actually went through forever 21's online catalog one day and drew lapis in all the crop tops, let me try to find it *overturns entire box of drawings*

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Edit:

Lol if anybody thinks Lapis could be friends with Steven and not be introduced to all his other friends.

Friendship is mandatory citizen. So says Friend Computer Steven.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

I don't think that Jasper is a fusion, but I do think she got dumped by her old fusion partner.

It's like Garnet said: Jasper is mad 'cause she's single.

Of course, I'm not saying that losing her girlfriend is the ONLY reason Jasper acts like a jerk. I also think that, deep down, Jasper just really enjoys punching stuff.

What if Rose was Jasper's old fusion partner?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So Math posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

:psyboom:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Jasper's not a fusion, that's loving stupid.

---

[x]

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

With so many of the show's crew having a presence on tumblr, sharing drawings and such, and often having been fans and fan artists prior to being part of the crew, the line between fan art and production art in the SU world is awfully blurry at times, which is pretty awesome really.

Acne Rain posted:

If anything the finale should've shown that the show's not doing stupid twists that sabotage its own themes and storytelling to try to outsmart the audience
Agreed. There are definitely twists and subversions of the tropes or expectations, but they don't "cheat".

See: Steven confessing his love for the ending in Open Book (not what some people were expecting).

I appreciate the creators being confident enough in the story they're telling to not feel the need to change it because some of the audience picks up on the hints or guesses where it's going. And, to be fair, the hardcore internet fans are always going to be analyzing everything, guessing every possible outcome, etc. A friend of mine recently watched season one and he was completely surprised by the revelation about Garnet in Jailbreak -- I suspect he's probably more representative of the average viewer.

XboxPants posted:

I would never tell someone they have to listen to an artist explain their work to be able to understand it, but somehow these just seem worthwhile.
SU stands on its own, so no fear there.

It's enjoyable to see these people who love making the show as much as the fans love watching it talk about some of the how's and why's. One principle she's mentioned in several of interviews, which I think is a very strong point of the show, is "being funny without being cruel." There's a lot of mean humor out there and Steven Universe avoids this (which is not to say characters are never mean or don't ever hurt each other, but it's definitely not played for laughs).

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lol if anybody thinks Lapis could be friends with Steven and not be introduced to all his other friends.
Steven cannot imagine a world where everybody is not friends with everybody else (poor Steven, his encounter with the Homeworld Gems was probably a rough wakeup call in that regard)... "You're friends with Lars?!" "Isn't everybody?"

Quinton fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 23, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Garnet is huge because she's two short people standing head on shoulders in a coat. Jasper hit the gym and exercised a bunch and ended up with killer guns [which she doesn't really use because headbutts]

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh, I agree. I figured it was fairly implicit that her becoming an ally wouldn't be the end of her character arc :v:

Saiyans get stronger every time they almost die, and Gems get more fashionable. These are the facts of life.

This is the best theory in this thread so far

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I'm gonna steal this quote every chance I get.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Ahahhah... http://deadliestdoodles.tumblr.com/post/114379290568

"I can't say no to that face." - Garnet

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Wow this thread has gotten active.

Isaiah Brofist
Jan 1, 2011
You know I completely forgot that Lapis was anything but dramatic/tragic (still like her character) until I got to Mirror Gem on my re-watch. I really hope they bring her back so she can make fart noise jokes with Steven as a hominid.

^^^Also YES, it didn't even really occur to me to talk to anyone about this show before the infamous Steven Bomb but now the internet is infatuated with space rocks.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Isaiah Brofist posted:

You know I completely forgot that Lapis was anything but dramatic/tragic (still like her character) until I got to Mirror Gem on my re-watch. I really hope they bring her back so she can make fart noise jokes with Steven as a hominid.

Seconded. I know that Lapis was probably just using a limited vocabulary to make a connection with the first person in millenia who acknowledged her existence, but I really want "thinks farts are hilarious" to actually be part of her character.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

So Math posted:

No, Rose was her Nemesis

(From here, parodying this webcomic)

e: Also this is the best video I've seen all day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q22Ote7SjgE

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Then what do Time Lords get?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
You know I just realized Gem Civilization is what happens when you throw Saiyans, Cybertronians, and the Silver Millennium into a blender, and the result is something that's pretty to look at, but hard to swallow, to use a food metaphor

Edit: also Gem Civilization really comes off as something that would be the Dark Kingdom in a stereotypical Magical Girl Anime(which is very appropriate)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

TwoPair posted:

No, Rose was her Nemesis

(From here, parodying this webcomic)

This makes me wish I could draw, because I really want to see a Jasper/Rose Quartz version of this now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

Garnet is huge because she's two short people standing head on shoulders in a coat. Jasper hit the gym and exercised a bunch and ended up with killer guns [which she doesn't really use because headbutts]

If people think Jasper is a fusion based on sheer size, then Rose was at least a three-gem fusion.

Seriously, how many people are in that dress?

Edit: Obvious answer, just two.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 23, 2015

• Locked thread