Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Reddit is worthless. There'll magically be an OP asking the exact same question that I need answered and presumably the answer is buried somewhere down the tree of extremely hilarious and not at all witless joke replies that dominate the garbage upvoting sort system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey for real lowtax I came here on the recommendation of a military roommate in 2005 when he saw me reading Fark and grumpily called it 'puerile' before mentioning SA. A true ambassador.

It's not until I visit Reddit that I really remember what it was like before that angry, ointment-slathered goon roomie pushed me in through the door here.

Good luck with your medical stuff. I love giving people funny and insulting custom titles and avs. I also still think it's hilarious that SA allows users to do that. Maybe we could crowd fund your surgery by selling insults laser etched into your spine bones as a stretch goal

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

theres a will theres moe posted:

Hey for real lowtax I came here on the recommendation of a military roommate in 2005 when he saw me reading Fark and grumpily called it 'puerile' before mentioning SA. A true ambassador.

"Fark, huh? How puerile" *unsheathes M69 Sword, Katana, Hanzo*

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Reddit is worthless. There'll magically be an OP asking the exact same question that I need answered and presumably the answer is buried somewhere down the tree of extremely hilarious and not at all witless joke replies that dominate the garbage upvoting sort system.

I've never managed to read a full thread on Reddit. Everything's hidden behind votes and sub-threads(?), and you can't just take it chronologically like any sane person would.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lowtax posted:

Reddit would be good if they just got rid of all the redditors

Take a cue from Braveheart, reinstate jus primae noctae.

Not for me, I don't want to gently caress any Redditors.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

rear end posted:

I'd love to not have to read reddit, but unfortunately it's like the 7th biggest website on the internet and sometimes you can find useful stuff posted there.

:raise:

I've never seen anything interesting or useful on Reddit that couldn't be found somewhere else. It's an "information aggregator" like Wikipedia but completely unreadable. You're better off just learning good search engine techniques.

There's one, and precisely one, good use I've found for it that can't be gotten anywhere else, and that's as a place to ask the developer of an extremely niche coding library questions about its underdocumented, or undocumented, features and methods, because that's specifically where they direct queries. Like a Usenet hermitage or something.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 10, 2018

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

The White Dragon posted:

:raise:

I've never seen anything interesting or useful on Reddit that couldn't be found somewhere else. It's an "information aggregator" like Wikipedia but completely unreadable. You're better off just learning good search engine techniques.

smaller, specialty subreddits can be good, especially if you work in tech.

askreddit is entertaining.

the smaller ones have a vibe like tviv or asktell imho

the key is curation

saying reddit is trash is like saying all of usenet or irc is crap

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Reddit seems to have attracted some of the CONTENT CREATORS who don't do poo poo here anymore.
Most of those guys don't want discussion, just exposure and accolades.

The humper monkeys and other people who want to write self fan fiction post to advise subreddits, there are creepy story subreddits for the guys who want to be the next Slenderman inventor or something, there's meme invention forums.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
A former coworker was an enthusiastic redditor. Like he had that stupid sticker on his car and talked about it like it was his hobby. I said one day “Reddit’s ok once you sign up and unsubscribe from all that front page poo poo and find some good specialty subreddits.” He was shocked because he thought the default front page was the only view. Btw this was back when the front page was worse than it is now with like 90% le meme posts.

So that’s my story and I’m sorry if it’s not funny because you guys are my only family and I love you.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

the one reddit thing I used to do to entertain myself the last year was look at imgur front page stuff and read the top comment in my head in the most smug rear end in a top hat internet nerd voice imaginable. they're always the same smug predictable pun and people just eat that stuff up there.

besides that the only good subreddit was tittydrop, if that didn't get banned

edit: I follow the me_irl bot on twitter so maybe that counts as reddit

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

It's also cool how you have to say the same thing 10x because everyone is responding to the original upvoted comment and not paying attention to the nested comments in which their question is already answered. It's super cool.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Reddit is like if the YouTube commenter 'community' had never got past endlessly posting and upvoting those "how the heck did I get here!?" comments.

People upvote whatever they recognize or whatever their own boring brain was thinking, despite that comment existing because it's the most obvious and dumb joke you could possibly make. It's literally confusing the noise for the signal.

I really hate it and I'm glad this forum demands more from posters. I'm glad you can get heckled for being a dimwit here and the basic bitches have somewhere else to go.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Ok if we’re committed to reddit chat here’s my favorite thing:
The guy who runs the Seattle subreddit made some users mad and when he got called out he doubled down on the behavior they didn’t like so they split and formed a competing subreddit. Now years have passed and there are still two “official” Seattle subreddits and it’s still all out war between the two but the same people post in both and it’s all the same stories and people will rush to post the same forced unfunny jokes in both.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's some spicy scoody-froody.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MonkeyHate posted:

Ok if we’re committed to reddit chat here’s my favorite thing:
The guy who runs the Seattle subreddit made some users mad and when he got called out he doubled down on the behavior they didn’t like so they split and formed a competing subreddit. Now years have passed and there are still two “official” Seattle subreddits and it’s still all out war between the two but the same people post in both and it’s all the same stories and people will rush to post the same forced unfunny jokes in both.

I have visited both and they are both poo poo and filled with garbage.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

wow how about you don't default to the masculine pronoun for second person plural

i thought you were better than this

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

get with the times gramps, 'guys' became gender neutral a decade ago

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Black August posted:

get with the times gramps, 'guys' became gender neutral a decade ago

See I thought that about "hon" and it got me into no end of trouble.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

oh yeah tell that to alice walker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqvHXYcN0xc

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

See I thought that about "hon" and it got me into no end of trouble.

I use hon on both all the time at work and stare them dead in the goddamn eye with a smile

dare 'em to get pissy

baw
Nov 5, 2008

i use "tubs"

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Peachfart posted:

I have visited both and they are both poo poo and filled with garbage.

So pretty much Seattle then.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I refer to people as the gender-neutral "slab tubs"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Seattle has been iffy so far and this is speaking as a trash middle-Massachusetts sack of pinecone poo poo raised on that and SA, they pretty much don't want no poors since rent is punching bloodied fists through the roof to keep climbing and I'm about to have to tap out if a pending summer job doesn't come through.

I propose "slubs" as a compromise since it invokes a poo poo ton of other insults without actually hitting those marks

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Reddit? That technology news aggregator like slashdot exept without the insightful comments?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

When in doubt, you could always use "dude" which has been gender-neutral for at least ten years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV61t021SxQ

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I say dudes

Some women get all "I'm NOT A DUDE" and then you gotta pull a chill look and be like "sorry I just call everyone dude" and that defuses the situation 98% of the time.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
i just refer to everyone as "filth"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What up my gwibs

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Moridin920 posted:

I say dudes

Some women get all "I'm NOT A DUDE" and then you gotta pull a chill look and be like "sorry I just call everyone dude" and that defuses the situation 98% of the time.

should start singing the dude song from kenan and kel

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

astral posted:

SA is the kind of place where getting a spot about SA on TV means doing one's best to discourage their audience from visiting the forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUHDDj7fhk
this was the best version I could find on youtube; audio only comes from the left channel to enhance the experience

I forgot about this interview, it's pretty dang funny!

I like how he talks about SA beating a dead horse with goatse jokes, and here we are, years and years later. Maybe the only true thing he said in the interview lol.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just watch, if we keep on beating this dead horse it'll eventually turn gay.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
That interview still makes me laugh, goddamn. Dr. Thorpe still kickin around somewhere?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

lowtax what games u playin these days

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Surgeon simulator?
Or the game of life.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

That interview still makes me laugh, goddamn. Dr. Thorpe still kickin around somewhere?
my favorite post-front page David Thorpe article was one he wrote for the Village Voice, where he posits that Jared Leto is the center of the universe, and the universe that we live in is just the fanfiction of some cosmic teenage girl

https://www.villagevoice.com/2013/11/11/jared-leto-is-the-center-of-the-universe/

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Hey if you ever do do the change over to the new forums software, like if you win the lottery or whatever, i have a suggestion for an improvement:

The ability to probate yourself from posting in a thread for normal probate lengths. Sometimes i feel like i post too much in a thread compared to others and would like to fix the problem by technologically styming myself rather than learning basic self control techniques.

Can we make this a stretch goal in your inevitable kickstarter/gofundme?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

McGiggins posted:

Hey if you ever do do the change over to the new forums software, like if you win the lottery or whatever, i have a suggestion for an improvement:

The ability to probate yourself from posting in a thread for normal probate lengths. Sometimes i feel like i post too much in a thread compared to others and would like to fix the problem by technologically styming myself rather than learning basic self control techniques.

Can we make this a stretch goal in your inevitable kickstarter/gofundme?

Ahem,

:justpost:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Well loving good. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

do you not enjoy terrible puns and comment chains typing out song lyrics all the way down the right side of your screen until truncated or something what is WRONG with you

I for one am glad those are the comments at the very top of every thread/post/whatever the gently caress they are called

• Locked thread