Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It'll come up once you're through the 5.0 story, but really the difference between Duty Supports and Trusts is that Duty Supports have set allies per dungeon, whereas Trusts are a roster that you can pick and choose between (even characters that weren't options for the Duty Support version of the dungeons) but have their own levels, so you'll have to bring them all up manually. Trusts were a new bullet point for Shadowbringers, and while they did go back to add Duty Supports to past expansions, do not expect them to ever backfill Trusts.

As a hypothetical example, though, suppose your Trust roster for Stormblood included Yugiri, Hien, and Gosetsu - you'd be able to take them to The Sirensong Sea, even though you wouldn't have even met Hien at that point in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kwyndig posted:

The difference between Duty Support and Trusts is that aside from guest characters Trusts have their own level like Squadron members. But you don't need to level Trusts, it's just an optional thing for achievements.

And if you decide to go for the achievements there's no efficient way to level everyone up evenly given the mix of dps healer and tanks they have so you REALLY need to either be a completionist or like running the dungeons with NPCs.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I don't really get that side of trusts, it just seems like another grind for the completionists.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

I don't really get that side of trusts, it just seems like another grind for the completionists.

Yeah..the rewards aren't good. It's okay sometimes, I used them to grind for minions so the exp was a bonus.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

This moment hits different after Dawntrail pre-release cycle.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 29, 2024

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
It is kinda fun to take Trust NPCs into dungeons that they weren't available for via Duty Support, as Hogama mentioned. One of the good laughs I've gotten from gameplay is seeing how one Trust NPC reacts to the first boss of the level 87 dungeon.

But yeah, I mostly level the Trust NPCs for the achievement points. It is nice that this silly grind has the benefit of leveling actual combat jobs at least. I can take DPS jobs in to skip dungeon queues, pull two packs of enemies, and then not pay attention for 5 minutes.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Craptacular! posted:

This moment hits different after Dawntrail pre-release cycle.

Huh, I didn't notice that Third Party Tools still had the <<artsy>> tag in honor of the new painter job up when I did these. Funny.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
How did Alphinaud unlock Pictomancer early anyway?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

He knows some people at SqEnix

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The same way he does everything else: Gil Toss.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dunno but from Tristol's reaction it seems they've already nerfed it.

(Kind of hoping they don't forget about him for the job's questline, but since 100 years passed during one main campaign and two patch cycles already he might already be gone. :smith: )

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

what are you talking about and also think about what thread you're in before you clarify

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The way I view it, leveling trusts is a way to level your distant lesser classes you don't care about too much, without going insane from roulettes and Frontlines.

Also some of those titles are rad.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

sirtommygunn posted:

what are you talking about and also think about what thread you're in before you clarify

Warrior of Darkness arrived in Heavensward post-MSQ patch. By 5.0, 100 years have passed. Thancred had spent about five years in this world in the span of a vague number of weeks (but probably closer to one than ten) in the main world.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

it's not hard to not talk about things we haven't found out yet

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

The way I view it, leveling trusts is a way to level your distant lesser classes you don't care about too much, without going insane from roulettes and Frontlines.

Also some of those titles are rad.

I mean it doesn't even help with the 'going insane from roulettes' because it's the same 5 or so dungeons that will always take longer than a normal dungeon run.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Hellioning posted:

I mean it doesn't even help with the 'going insane from roulettes' because it's the same 5 or so dungeons that will always take longer than a normal dungeon run.

Insane from roulettes is probably "interacting with people from all skill levels and sometimes hitting Santasha which is extremely awful if you're used to the fuller class kits" rather than doing the same dungeon over and over.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Insane from roulettes is probably "interacting with people from all skill levels and sometimes hitting Santasha which is extremely awful if you're used to the fuller class kits" rather than doing the same dungeon over and over.

I just finished leveling all my guys to 90. If I have to see one more Aurum Vale or Cutter's Cry I'll scream. Why do those two in particular always come up?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hellioning posted:

If you're leveling dps you can just AFK through all the trash and let the trusts three man it and all you have to do are the boss fights. It's slower paced and more relaxed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bruceski posted:

I just finished leveling all my guys to 90. If I have to see one more Aurum Vale or Cutter's Cry I'll scream. Why do those two in particular always come up?

They're technically optional but AV is required for GC promotions and the unlock for Cutter's is right by all the vendors in Ul'dah

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

Feldegast42 posted:

At ShB release, Trusts were your only option for replaying dungeons with NPCs. The duty support option (not called such) was available only when the dungeon was required by MSQ.

People complained, partly because the Trust roster didn’t include all the NPCs that showed up in duty support, and partly because needing to level the Trusts made it harder to use Trusts for levelling yourself (and at release Trust levelling was painfully slow). So they introduced the current Duty Support incarnation, so now you can rerun dungeons at any level with NPCs whenever you want. But despite the Trust system being essentially obsolete, they didn’t replace it because there were achievements linked to it. And they’ve maintained the dual systems since, because some people like the Trusts and presumably it requires little additional development work compared to Duty Support by itself.

So yeah, levelling Trusts had a reason beyond completionism, but only for a patch or so.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dedekind posted:

At ShB release, Trusts were your only option for replaying dungeons with NPCs. The duty support option (not called such) was available only when the dungeon was required by MSQ.

People complained, partly because the Trust roster didn’t include all the NPCs that showed up in duty support, and partly because needing to level the Trusts made it harder to use Trusts for levelling yourself (and at release Trust levelling was painfully slow). So they introduced the current Duty Support incarnation, so now you can rerun dungeons at any level with NPCs whenever you want. But despite the Trust system being essentially obsolete, they didn’t replace it because there were achievements linked to it. And they’ve maintained the dual systems since, because some people like the Trusts and presumably it requires little additional development work compared to Duty Support by itself.

So yeah, levelling Trusts had a reason beyond completionism, but only for a patch or so.

Duty Support is still only whatever the story/msq version of characters you had would've been. So that's one other reason to use trusts. See how the trust npcs react to duty support stuff they weren't narratively available for.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Warrior of Darkness arrived in Heavensward post-MSQ patch. By 5.0, 100 years have passed. Thancred had spent about five years in this world in the span of a vague number of weeks (but probably closer to one than ten) in the main world.

That got addressed by the Exarch in this lp a few chapters ago. Like even without spoilers you missed something fundamental mate.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

If Craptacular accidentally hinted at something other than that there's a painter job in the future that I couldn't have avoided hearing about if I tried, I am still ignorant of it, so let's not get mad about nothing.

Khizan posted:

If you're leveling dps you can just AFK through all the trash and let the trusts three man it and all you have to do are the boss fights. It's slower paced and more relaxed.

Dragonball-rear end Warrior of Light, making everybody fight the scrub enemies and Wait For Goku on the bosses.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The way the Exarch introduction has presented it made it seem like the synchronous timeflow was a fluctuating, temporary thing.

It's also possible that people think I'm spoiling something from Endwalker, in which case I assure you that would be impossible/not deliberate, I'm only about as far into that campaign as we here are on Shadow. (I've resisted for long but finally caved a few weeks ago when it was about the price of a monthly sub.) The biggest thing I know of that expansion is the raid tiers; because I was watching videos on how to beat them when I complained in the other thread a few months ago that I think I'm just too stupid for savage raiding these days.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 30, 2024

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

sirtommygunn posted:

Craptacular! posted:

I think the misunderstanding is how time passes between the shards. Specifically, as mentioned by the Exarch during the Crystarium introduction, how the difference isn't constant but fluctuates wildly between faster and slower. While 100 years passed after the Warriors of Darkness returned and 5 years passed after Thancred's soul got yoinked, the passage of time between the First and the Source has currently entered a period of "near-equivalence," and there shouldn't be any large time skips for either location.

Now, given how we've just come across a situation where the devs were adamant about not removing your access to a city despite having a very strong narrative reason to, it's a pretty safe bet that time between the First and the Source will be the same until S-E shut the servers down. This, I think, is where the spoiler concerns come in, because there's nothing else in your original statement that comes anywhere close as far as I'm aware of.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I'm not sure if it's said outright but my headcanon is that once the Exarch successfully summoned you, it linked the First with the Source in a way that locked them in the same time flow.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

im glad sanguinia has a blindfold ready to shield themselves from having to see endwalker jobs in the wild or in roulettes

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

No I genuinely forgot what the 100 years thing was referring to and wanted to know what they meant, but also wanted to make sure I wasn't prompting someone to start spewing spoilers in the lp thread.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

im glad sanguinia has a blindfold ready to shield themselves from having to see endwalker jobs in the wild or in roulettes

Between trials and raids and other group content, jobs feel like one of those things that are impossible to avoid being spoiled on.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Rhonne posted:

Between trials and raids and other group content, jobs feel like one of those things that are impossible to avoid being spoiled on.

Also player race options. It's still funny how Yugiri's face reveal is treated as a big deal when it happens even though ~20% of the player base is also Au Ra at this point.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zone names, if you ever look at the friend list. A lot of them aren't really spoilers with no context, but some of them sure could be.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

FuturePastNow posted:

Zone names, if you ever look at the friend list. A lot of them aren't really spoilers with no context, but some of them sure could be.

Also the weather people, though I've rarely had need to talk to them and it's pretty easy to just not read the names near the bottom. I've technically SEEN a list of all the zones in Shadowbringers is because I talked to one for that screenshot, but I simply didn't read them because... you know, I have willpower.

gtrmp posted:

Also player race options. It's still funny how Yugiri's face reveal is treated as a big deal when it happens even though ~20% of the player base is also Au Ra at this point.

I'll say this much, there's at least consistency in the ambient zone NPCs. I'd seen Au Ra PCs before Yugiri, sure, but never any CHARACTERS, so the reveal did have a minor impact. At least, it would have if I hadn't noticed her tail.

...NOT THAT I WAS LOOKING! :blush:

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

iirc during ShB, they do a good job of hiding major spoilers via mechanical means. The sightseeing log, Shared FATE log, and TT card list won't tell you the name of the final zone yet, and I think the auto-translate dictionary will also obscure spoilery things (duty names, etc) to people who haven't reached them.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

FuturePastNow posted:

As I understand it, this is even worse in the original Japanese when it comes to spoilers in instance names. The names of most trial instances in Japanese include the name of the trial boss instead of obscuring it with a literal location name or a less prosaic descriptor, so "Ifrit Subjugation Battle" and "Lakshmi Destruction Battle" become The Bowl of Embers and Emanation in English. There are a few exceptions where the localized instance name is still very much a spoiler, though still not quite as direct as in the Japanese text. Dungeon names are also quite a bit longer with descriptive prefixes added to the location name, which can add more context that makes them more spoilery, so "Liberation Battle at Doma Castle" and "Hard Rush at Ishgard Papal Office" are simply Doma Castle and The Vault in English.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

iirc during ShB, they do a good job of hiding major spoilers via mechanical means. The sightseeing log, Shared FATE log, and TT card list won't tell you the name of the final zone yet, and I think the auto-translate dictionary will also obscure spoilery things (duty names, etc) to people who haven't reached them.

My friends did warn me not to log out in the final zone until I’d completed the map, because the zone artwork itself has a big spoiler on it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

gtrmp posted:

"Hard Rush at Ishgard Papal Office"

Sounds like a concert announcement

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I do really love how they obscure some duties by using names other than their duty title. O9-12 aren't called 'Alphascape X.0' in FC member windows and similar menus.

Psiscape 1.0, Psiscape 2.0, and The Interdimensional Rift for the last two fights. They do this more often in ShB/EW as well.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Speaking of obscure duty details, my personal favorite is whenever one gets a special weather condition. Only a small number of dungeons get them- Toto-rak and the Stone Vigil get Darkness, the Burn gets Sandstorms- but most trials and several raids have something. Most trial weather is unique to the location!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In-game weather is mostly adjusting lighting, fog distance, particles, and other visual effects settings, and since many or most trials have a specific combination of those to suit their atmosphere it's kind of neat that package shows up in your UI with its own name and icon.