Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

El Cid posted:

I rented this from Redbox and beat it within the 24 hour rental period. It is a great game for 3 dollars!

I actually liked the setting, and I hope this doesn't bomb terribly enough that they never get to finish the story.

The story isn't worth finishing in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I remember after buying a PS4 I bought a 3DS and spent so much time playing that that I told my gf I never should have bought the ps4.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Sony attempting to delete the game from existence in real time

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

...at...least this confirms the cutscenes aren't pre-rendered, I guess?

I'd like to know what fuckup causes this, since games no longer load from disc.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

univbee posted:

Sadly I'm pretty sure the ratio is going to be way higher than that.

Which is a great shame, but there's still hope, especially since renting the game seems so popular - shame it's not always possible, even in the case of good games it's a good idea to have a way to try it out, especially since demos are scarce this days (I know the usual suspected reasons beyond that, but it'd still help to have them).

Strawberry Panda posted:

I remember after buying a PS4 I bought a 3DS and spent so much time playing that that I told my gf I never should have bought the ps4.

Same, the drought is noticeable and the warranty runs out anyway. Oh well, live and learn.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

Which is a great shame, but there's still hope, especially since renting the game seems so popular - shame it's not always possible, even in the case of good games it's a good idea to have a way to try it out, especially since demos are scarce this days (I know the usual suspected reasons beyond that, but it'd still help to have them).

Same, the drought is noticeable and the warranty runs out anyway. Oh well, live and learn.

If they get the Sony share thing ever working you can always play your friend's copy to try out a game.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Strawberry Panda posted:

If they get the Sony share thing ever working you can always play your friend's copy to try out a game.

It does work, but 1) The sharing party has to have PS+, I think (not such a problem, but still), and 2) It only changes things around if one has renting services available, otherwise someone has to buy the game anyway, which doesn't change much. And you have to have persistent Internet connection and the sessions can be only an hour long (can be started indefinitely, thankfully).

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Abu Dave posted:

The Order will outsell Bayonetta 2 literally 2/to 1

It's true I think more than two people have bought The Order

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Bayonetta 2 is a better game and more worth your time/money than The Order. Sales stats don't matter at alllllllll *drops steampunk mic, shattering upon impact with the ground and scattering gears everywhere*

Strawberry Panda posted:

Basically the same for me except with a Wii U instead.

As a non-PC owner though I like my PS4 now :)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

As a non-PC owner though I like my PS4 now :)

Glad to hear it PS4 owner! The PC can be pretty scary and overwhelming with its plethora of cross platform titles, backwards compatibility, numerous titles for deep discounts, free multiplayer access, and 1 step installation to play process. It's nice that Sony offers a console without overwhelming choices and a UI Design that is old school and reminiscence of the 90s era electronics!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My arm hurts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQgPP8j2-jg

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

See the game can be extending by playing it with introspection, such as "should I shoot or should I just quit playing the game forever?"

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

I figured out what that scene was missing.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
http://penny-arcade.com/news/post/2015/02/25/proclivities

Tycho posted:

I should hit up Reddit maybe, but I am fairly certain my co-conspirator is the only person willing to go on record as saying that The Order: 1886 is anything approaching a videogame. He wants me to play it very much, presumably so that I can join his very exclusive cult, but I watched a few YouTube clips and it seems like you don’t hack monsters apart and then make hats and weapons out of their guts and white bones. And that’s all I care about right now. So I’ll have to get back to him on that.

And of course he wants to create some kind of relative shame scenario, but let’s be honest here. There’s probably more people on my team than his.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I'm surprised people still read Penny Arcade. I think I stopped in 7th grade.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Surprising me a great deal, this game is sitting at a 66 on Metacritic. Higher than it probably deserves, but definitely lower than I thought it would be.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think the requirement for getting a 60 is just having the game work properly.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

Halo master chief collection has an 85

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Butt Ghost posted:

Tetris Ultimate has a 63. :v:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This industry is dead.

Rizzo Crackers
Oct 11, 2009

Like a midget at a urinal, I was gonna have to keep on my toes.
So I made a trailer for the game. Tried to make it a little more spooky/mystery-y. Was a neat little exercise in putting one together quickly too. Hope you folks enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC32JBlfLlg

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

I live in Whitechapel and wasn't surprised that the game headed straight there after about ten loving minutes. Just once i'd like a Victorian England set game to pop down the road to Mile End.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Why are there werewolves in the game?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Strawberry Panda posted:

Why are there werewolves in the game?

probably because when the game was greenlit all the way back in 2011-2012 they were big with twilight and underworld

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So what I'm gathering here is that the game is actually not steampunk enough and is just boring instead

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

precision posted:

So what I'm gathering here is that the game is actually not steampunk enough and is just boring instead

That would seem to be the case, hell I would be a lot more interested if they had just gone all out bonkers with steampunk design to the point of parody, like this kind of thing from Zybourne Clock:

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

precision posted:

actually it's because it's only 6 hours long LOL

not because it's a game that wrestles control away from the player whenever possible because the devs didn't want you proles to interfere with their *~cinematic experience~*

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Actually, The Order 1886 is a very good video game, not that casuals will ever understand this.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
End rand.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
ayn rand

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

psyman posted:

That would seem to be the case, hell I would be a lot more interested if they had just gone all out bonkers with steampunk design to the point of parody, like this kind of thing from Zybourne Clock:

People always mock this for the individual coal piece conveyor belt but the coolest thing about it to me is how proper functioning involves a massive amount of hot steam blasting into the user's at all times.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
That is a guy who not only loved the Order, he played through it twice in a row. That's like getting to the end of the Resident Evil movies and then deciding that they were so great that you want to watch all of them a second time right then and there, and then putting them in a hallowed spot on top of your entertainment center so that you can rewatch all of them at a moment's notice.

Gunshot. Fade to Black.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

That is a guy who not only loved the Order, he played through it twice in a row. That's like getting to the end of the Resident Evil movies and then deciding that they were so great that you want to watch all of them a second time right then and there, and then putting them in a hallowed spot on top of your entertainment center so that you can rewatch all of them at a moment's notice.

Gunshot. Fade to Black.

The Resident Evil movies are better though, in that they're so stupid they're fun to watch even if they're bad. The Order doesn't even succeed in that.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Gunshot. Fade to Black.

Oh Jesus that gamer is my dad.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
RedLetterMedia reviewed the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG0zJ89Fv8c

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The Order: 1886 is the PS4's Heavenly Sword.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
That game had hair tech you loving Philistine.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The Order: 1886 is the PS4's Heavenly Sword.
Nah, Heavenly Sword at least had Andy Serkis who played the main villain out of sheer ham.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
You're right, Heavenly Sword is an hour longer.

The ending to this review is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

:munch:

I love when RLM does reviews like this.

• Locked thread