Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Homie S posted:

No ARSO is going to know the procedures of the crazy ATF importation laws. He/she will likely tell you "no." Please trust me when I say this is for your benefit.

no no i mean buying them locally, not import. Like a gun store. (but yes, probably "no" and for your own benefit again). Also, hit me up on communicator if you're around. something i wanted to ask you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

Nutrimentia posted:

Indeed! Good luck on the next round. I'd be happy to look at your PNQ if you wanted.

Wow, that'd be great! I've got my responses from last year to work with, but they didn't get me through last time so I think there's definitely room for improvement. Having review help from goons is really really helpful.

I'll send you a text this weekend.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Skandiaavity posted:

no no i mean buying them locally, not import. Like a gun store. (but yes, probably "no" and for your own benefit again). Also, hit me up on communicator if you're around. something i wanted to ask you.

Well, if you buy them locally, you eventually PCS. Can you sell them? Sometimes buying is easier than the disposing part.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Skandiaavity posted:

My Post has a Security Directive prohibiting personally owned firearms, which would include buying anything locally. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other posts had something similar. If not, then it would come down to local laws. But, yea, probably a good idea to check with your poor ARSO before you start building your armory.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Bruxism posted:

My Post has a Security Directive prohibiting personally owned firearms, which would include buying anything locally. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other posts had something similar. If not, then it would come down to local laws. But, yea, probably a good idea to check with your poor ARSO before you start building your armory.

"So I put my compound bow and arrows in my HHE, I can carry that in the streets with me right?"

"No Robin of Loxley, you can't."

True story.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Homie S posted:

"So I put my compound bow and arrows in my HHE, I can carry that in the streets with me right?"

True story.

I can believe it!

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Skandiaavity posted:

I don't have your OpenNet address, could you PM it to me?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

So I took the FSOT and did not move on ,didn't really know what to expect and since I am not graduating for another year thats probably for the best, ill take it next February when I am in my last semester of college and I think I can pass it next time now that I know what the test is.

Plus when I took the SAT the second time I brought up my score by like 300 points

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 27, 2015

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Homie S posted:

True story.

I want to believe.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Jack2142 posted:

So I took the FSOT and did not move on ,didn't really know what to expect and since I am not graduating for another year thats probably for the best, ill take it next February when I am in my last semester of college and I think I can pass it next time now that I know what the test is.

Plus when I took the SAT the second time I brought up my score by like 300 points

We can do it next time good buddy. :respek:

One of the guys I know who took it at the same time got a 58 on the biographical section. His advice was to either press 4+ or 0 for all of your answers and never do one in the middle. Have others had this experience as well? My bio was literally half of my highest score.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

Slaan posted:

One of the guys I know who took it at the same time got a 58 on the biographical section. His advice was to either press 4+ or 0 for all of your answers and never do one in the middle. Have others had this experience as well? My bio was literally half of my highest score.

No. Just no. Answer the questions honestly. You can't game the test. If you "often" do something, you have to cite examples to back it up. If you've done something "more than 4 times" in the past year, you have to cite examples to back it up. And sometimes, it may be better that you "rarely" do something instead of "often." Don't lie; it could catch up with you. And besides, you should not forget that there are two other parts of the test you can improve on.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Homie S posted:

True story.

Seriously. I never thought I would have so many crazy stories from just one post...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

zzonkmiles posted:

No. Just no. Answer the questions honestly. You can't game the test. If you "often" do something, you have to cite examples to back it up. If you've done something "more than 4 times" in the past year, you have to cite examples to back it up. And sometimes, it may be better that you "rarely" do something instead of "often." Don't lie; it could catch up with you. And besides, you should not forget that there are two other parts of the test you can improve on.

I meant it more as a try to reach for a 4th example if you have 3 solid ones, add in a shaky one to get to the 4th example, or say never if you only have one single semi-relevant answer rather than 'rarely.' I didn't mean that I wanted to game the system.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Bruxism posted:

Seriously. I never thought I would have so many crazy stories from just one post...

Imagine a career of stories.

:getin:

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TCD posted:

Imagine a career of stories.

:getin:

Oh my god it's the best. 7.5 years and I've already got enough for a novella-length memoir.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012

Homie S posted:

True story.

Too funny. Any restrictions on bow ownership anyone has run into? My youngest shoots a recurve for competitions and the like. I don't think she's looking for a concealed carry permit though.

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014

Slaan posted:

I did this whenever possible and got 68. That was with four months of full time work experience at the time and no languages or experiences living abroad.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Blooregard posted:

Too funny. Any restrictions on bow ownership anyone has run into? My youngest shoots a recurve for competitions and the like. I don't think she's looking for a concealed carry permit though.

Can't say for sure. I do miss my Saudi scimitar though.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Blooregard posted:

Yeah, I don't think they were allowed at my first post.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
On the other side of this discussion, I had a friend in college who was a FS brat. I was visiting at post and her teenage brother went to visit the village's gun range for the first time and was sent home with a 9mm pistol, apparently his "homework" was to teach himself how to disassemble and clean it and bring it back next time.

NovaDog
Dec 21, 2014
It's painful how little I was just offered for my duty weapon.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

NovaDog posted:

It's painful how little I was just offered for my duty weapon.

I would try to hang onto it if it has sentimental value to you. My police department gave me the chance to buy back my duty weapon and I declined, I kind of regret it.

NovaDog
Dec 21, 2014

Tyro posted:

I would try to hang onto it if it has sentimental value to you. My police department gave me the chance to buy back my duty weapon and I declined, I kind of regret it.

I'm keeping my Sig that I carried for 20+ years, but this was an S & W M & P I bought in 2013, so it's not the one I carried the longest and that I have the most connection to.

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014
Leaving for DC tomorrow. Can't believe how fast it's all gone.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
Got my second assignment. Heading to Fiji!

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

SCRwM posted:

There are definitely worse places to go.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

SCRwM posted:

Wasn't aware service included paid stays at all-inclusive resorts. poo poo.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

SCRwM posted:

You should holler at one of your fellow goons. 1of7 I believe?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Leif. posted:

You should holler at one of your fellow goons. 1of7 I believe?

He didn't make it there - instead some cushy Western EUR gig ;)

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

Wasn't aware service included paid stays at all-inclusive resorts. poo poo.

Needs of the service.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

SCRwM posted:

Needs of the service.

Double check post profiles and what not... just manage expectations on that one because I've heard people expecting an all inclusive resort run into reality.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012
Finally got on the IMS register today! Now I'm just sitting here grinning like an idiot. They will let me know my rank on the register tomorrow.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Blooregard posted:

Finally got on the IMS register today! Now I'm just sitting here grinning like an idiot. They will let me know my rank on the register tomorrow.

Congrats!

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Two friends of mine are scheduled to take the OA this week and they both received emails from BEX advising them of what to do in the event that Washington is closed because of bad weather. I am incredulous because my OA was exactly one year ago today and I got caught up in the exact same crap.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zzonkmiles posted:

Two friends of mine are scheduled to take the OA this week and they both received emails from BEX advising them of what to do in the event that Washington is closed because of bad weather. I am incredulous because my OA was exactly one year ago today and I got caught up in the exact same crap.

God last year's storm was some bullshit... we got a foot of snow during the Chiefs of Mission conference and I couldn't get down to HST to staff my Ambassador for his full day of meetings. His schedule gave no fucks about the weather.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
So my CDO is now telling me I won't get my 2nd tour EL bid list till Sept, and I won't find out the post until "a few months later" :crossarms:

Seriously hoping that's not true. I'm summer '16 cycle. The anticipation is ALREADY killing me. I thought it would open in June and I'd know the post around July/August. Isn't that usually the time frame?

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

TCD posted:

He didn't make it there - instead some cushy Western EUR gig ;)

Yep. Times are hard. From lunch yesterday:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

1of7 posted:

Yep. Times are hard. From lunch yesterday:

You suck, and I mean that affectionately :) I am getting covered in snow and ice.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Another snow day today, and talk that OPM could shut us down tomorrow too. If that happens, I'll have lost two days off a five day training course. The snow has already ruined 20% of my course, let's see if it can pull off 40%!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Bloodnose posted:

Another snow day today, and talk that OPM could shut us down tomorrow too. If that happens, I'll have lost two days off a five day training course. The snow has already ruined 20% of my course, let's see if it can pull off 40%!

oh lordy