Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Clark Nova posted:

A model M will last forever.

Sounds like someone poured a margarita into your unicomp. I have a couple that have been rocking now for 7ish years. I killed both, one with coke, the other with a margarita. Sent em back to unicomp and for 30ish bux they fixed each one. And a sweaty nerd answered the phone. What more could you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Eric the Mauve posted:

I have been in love with my Unicomp (:smug:) the year and a half I've owned it. Best drat keyboard there is. But it turns out I should have paid more heed to the whispers I'd heard that they're not the most reliable keyboards around. Woke up a half hour ago to discover that all of a sudden, the S, L, C, N, /, F2 and F10 keys don't work, and now I'm typing this on a cheap scissor-keys board.

So yeah, don't buy Unicomp unless you're comfortable with only getting a year or two's use out of your $100-$150.
This is actually very useful info. I've long lusted after a Unicomp, but having to replace it every other year wouldn't really be worth it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

betterinsodapop posted:

This is actually very useful info. I've long lusted after a Unicomp, but having to replace it every other year wouldn't really be worth it.

Nah, the Unicomps are great quality made in America. Also they are more like $84. Going on 7 years of use with no problems except what I caused.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UB40P4A

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It might just be that I am an unlucky user of a randomly defective product. But I'd heard similar complaints before so I thought I'd add to the pile.

I sent in a trouble ticket to Unicomp; I suppose it's possible I did something retarded, though I can't imagine what since this happened overnight. Or I guess it might be a warning sign my motherboard's on its way out.

e: And while I am fanatical about taking care of it I do also use the holy hell out of it, so. I love Unicomp and everything about them and am actually hoping it's me being stupid somehow.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Update: drat, Unicomp has amazing customer service. You'll notice it's been all of 15 minutes since my previous post.

Like a :qq: idiot I pestered customer service before testing the keyboard on an older machine I have lying around, where lo and behold it works just fine. It appears I probably do in fact have a motherboard or USB problem (cheapie keyboard works fine but the Unicomp, which I imagine draws more power, doesn't). Next thing you know I'll be calling the Geek Squad to complain that my cupholder stopped working.

But again: Wow, great service. Unicomp is awesome.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Too bad they still look like rear end though

Realforce 87u here and thats already pushing it on the rear end-spectrum

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They look awesome, you shut your drat whore mouth :colbert:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

The only part of the Unicomp look I don't like is the Unicomp logo itself. The row of blue squares is pretty ugly. Fortunately it's easily fixed with a buck-fifty overlay.

Also: whoa, Unicomp updated their website for the first time in forever!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Eric the Mauve posted:

But again: Wow, great service. Unicomp is awesome.
Ha! Well, I'm glad everything worked out for you! Also, Unicomp Ultra Classic is on Massdrop right now, if anybody cares.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I don't think the Unicomp looks that bad in the black/grey colorway. Of course, this is totally subjective. :)

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
If I could have it my way all my keyboards, monitors, and computers would be in that 90's cubicle farm beige.

:rock:

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
There is a ripster thread on geekhack from a while ago that you can find archived that compares the differences between model m boards and modern unicomp boards. Basic conclusion is that the changes made for cost cutting are minor and negligible in terms of quality and longevity.

Some board controllers are very sensitive to the USB power source, which is the reason that an HHKB has such a large controller board that is mostly power regulation, so lovely power sources don't have an effect on the switches. I switched mine out with a teensy so I could reprogram it and whatnot, and the board works great on my home computer, but unusable on my crap dell work computer.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In my case the problem is definitely with the USB ports/possibly the motherboard--I just discovered a half hour ago my printer doesn't work, either, but does if I switch it to a different USB port. It's all pretty hosed up. I have a feeling I'm going to wish it was a dead keyboard after all, in terms of the hassle and expense I'm going to face getting it fixed. The machine's barely a year old and midrange, and the power supply is good so I doubt it's that. I have a creeping suspicion I'm in for a motherboard replacement, but I'm now well beyond what I can fake and am going to have to hand it over to someone who knows hardware.

Repeating the thread relevant part: There's nothing wrong with my Unicomp and it continues to be amazing. I discovered this morning that if I ever had to transition back to anything else it would be painful.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Do you think there would be a market for a discrete buckling spring switch with a cherry mx keystem?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

henne posted:

Do you think there would be a market for a discrete buckling spring switch with a cherry mx keystem?

that's the dream

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My mechanical got a dose of sprite this evening. RIP diligent fellow. :(

I want to go out to Fry's tonight to pick up a new one. Anything on this list of what they have got any recommendation from you lot? (should be the stuff in the Las Vegas store)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Slowhanded posted:

If I could have it my way all my keyboards, monitors, and computers would be in that 90's cubicle farm beige.

:rock:

Please don't post mirror images.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ciaphas posted:

My mechanical got a dose of sprite this evening. RIP diligent fellow. :(

I want to go out to Fry's tonight to pick up a new one. Anything on this list of what they have got any recommendation from you lot? (should be the stuff in the Las Vegas store)

Depending on the type you might be able to rinse it out

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Please don't post mirror images.

Does this bother you?

The thing that bugs me about it is the L-shaped enter key. Thought those were extinct. But hey, apparently it has Cherry MX Reds!

(Found here with a google search for "keypad on the left".)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Powered Descent posted:

Does this bother you?

The thing that bugs me about it is the L-shaped enter key. Thought those were extinct. But hey, apparently it has Cherry MX Reds!

In America, we use ANSI:

In some other countries, they use ISO:

That thing uses the worst of both worlds: an ANSI width enter key with an ISO height hump.

Some people prefer ISO. I think they're crazy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah ISO keyboards are the devil.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

In America, we use ANSI:

Big huge L-shaped enter keys are still ANSI, they're just an old style.

I believe they were popular because in the era where most people had learned to type on typewriters long before they touched a computer, the big carriage return was what they were used to. (You had a larger button because it needed more force than a normal key, due to the extra mechanical gubbins.)

Beats me why anyone would want or make them these days. I don't think it has anything to do with ISO compatibility, I think it's just a historical artifact.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Big enter keys are cool. Same with stepped caps locks

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Mange Mite posted:

Big enter keys are cool. Same with stepped caps locks

You probably like the short backspace too. :mad:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Powered Descent posted:

Does this bother you?

Left handed keyboards are OK but ISO layout should be disallowed by the U.N. as a cruel and unusual punishment.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm looking for a compact keyboard for messing with my RetroPie emulation system. I want something that's wireless, easy to store away, and pretty simple. All I'll be using it for is to browse emulation menus, and do some simple terminal commands.

I saw this Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard. It looks nice and thing, and the solar charging option is a pretty appealing, since they keyboard won't get heavy usage.

Anything wrong with this keyboard? Better yet, is there a better option aside from this keyboard?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 4, 2015

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I just use Splashtop for the occasional tweaking that my arcade setup requires.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I use and enjoy this keyboard for my HTPC, but I agree with the top poster that if it's that infrequent, just VNCing to your computer sounds like a better bet.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

melon cat posted:

I'm looking for a compact keyboard for messing with my RetroPie emulation system. I want something that's wireless, easy to store away, and pretty simple. All I'll be using it for is to browse emulation menus, and do some simple terminal commands.

I saw this Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard. It looks nice and thing, and the solar charging option is a pretty appealing, since they keyboard won't get heavy usage.

Anything wrong with this keyboard? Better yet, is there a better option aside from this keyboard?

I have one at work. Feels okay to type on (scissor switches like a laptop) but the shiny black plastic collects fingerprints and scratches if that bother you.

Also it isn't exactly compact - actually it's exactly the same size as a normal full sized keyboard.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Slowhanded posted:

I use and enjoy this keyboard for my HTPC, but I agree with the top poster that if it's that infrequent, just VNCing to your computer sounds like a better bet.

That one's pretty much the standard. Just be aware that the right shift key is in the wrong place, which might seriously interfere with touch typing, depending on your habits.

I use one of these for raspberry pi projects and the like, and for that kind of occasional light use, it's great. But if I had to use it for typing something longer, even just something the length of this post, that misplaced shift key would probably make me throw the thing against the nearest wall.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

~Coxy posted:

Left handed keyboards are OK but ISO layout should be disallowed by the U.N. as a cruel and unusual punishment.

That's actually ANSI with Big-rear end Enter, not ISO.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've been considering the Corsair Gaming K70 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, but I wanted to know if it's any good or if there's something that would be better.

What I'd like to know is what difference the switch type makes. I was told that Blue switches click louder and are geared more towards typing, whereas Reds are meant more for gaming, with Brown switches serving a balance between the two. Is that correct?

If so, would I be best off getting the Brown switches? I've heard that the Reds are super-sensitive and that they're meant to do things like quick double-inputs. I've never considered myself a 'pro-gamer' and I don't really feel like I need that extreme precision. At the same time, it sounds like it would be a little cumbersome to play certain games with the Blue switches.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Max Wilco posted:

So I've been considering the Corsair Gaming K70 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, but I wanted to know if it's any good or if there's something that would be better.

What I'd like to know is what difference the switch type makes. I was told that Blue switches click louder and are geared more towards typing, whereas Reds are meant more for gaming, with Brown switches serving a balance between the two. Is that correct?

If so, would I be best off getting the Brown switches? I've heard that the Reds are super-sensitive and that they're meant to do things like quick double-inputs. I've never considered myself a 'pro-gamer' and I don't really feel like I need that extreme precision. At the same time, it sounds like it would be a little cumbersome to play certain games with the Blue switches.

Different people like different switches. I like clicky switches and I've gamed on them since '98 with no problems; they're no "slower" than a red switch or anything else because it's all just down what you're used to using. That said, when people recommend switches for people who have never used any kind of mechanical keyboard they suggest reds and browns for folks who are going to be gaming because they're smooth and have light springs. The red and brown switches use the same springs, however, and the bump in the browns is very slight, so if you'd have issues with pushing one thing down too easily they'll both be too easy for you.

The best advice is really to try out some keyboards wherever you can, or be prepared to attempt to flip it and buy a different board if you don't like it. A lot of big retail chains may have a small selection of mechanical keyboards, but you'll find that if you can just try the switches you'll get an idea for what most keyboards that use that same kind of a switch feel like to type on. The keycaps may be a little bit different but for most practical purposes, two cherry red or brown or blue boards should feel very similar.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Purely a matter of taste. I have Reds on my keyboard at work, most of my co-workers have blues or browns. (I actually prefer buckling springs, but I'm not quite sadistic enough to inflict Unicomp clacking on the entire rest of the room.)

There are good intros to the switch types here and here, and with a bit of searching you can find demos and reviews of them all on youtube.

Rexxed posted:

The best advice is really to try out some keyboards wherever you can, or be prepared to attempt to flip it and buy a different board if you don't like it. A lot of big retail chains may have a small selection of mechanical keyboards, but you'll find that if you can just try the switches you'll get an idea for what most keyboards that use that same kind of a switch feel like to type on. The keycaps may be a little bit different but for most practical purposes, two cherry red or brown or blue boards should feel very similar.

This is very true. But if you can't find an entire board to test drive, another option is to pick up a keyswitch sampler with one key of each type. There are some by WASD, Max Keyboard, and probably a few others.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
This shows up some time Wednesday. White case, white keys with blue backlight, gateron clears. Will post trip report. Very excited.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I have a Corsair K70 Vengeance and all of a sudden today the top row of keys (F1-F12 etc.) won't work at all, OR they all act like they are pressed down constantly. Like browser reloading nonstop, going in and out of fullscreen, help opening a bunch of times, etc. How good is Corsair at an RMA for something like this? Are they going to make me try a million bullshit things first? Also I know it sounds like a liquid spill but nothing has been spilled on it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Well looks like I'm off to bestbuy, my Razer Blackwidow ultimate just up and died. Second Razer product in 2 months to just burn out on me.

And yes it's out of warranty, it's one of the last Black a Widows to still have real cherry switches.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ColHannibal posted:

Well looks like I'm off to bestbuy, my Razer Blackwidow ultimate just up and died. Second Razer product in 2 months to just burn out on me.

And yes it's out of warranty, it's one of the last Black a Widows to still have real cherry switches.

Yeah, for the most part you don't want to buy razer products. Some folks get lucky and swear up and down that they're still making solid stuff like they did before 2008 but there's a ton of posts like yours in the mouse and keyboard thread to the contrary.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Razer mouses seem to be alright, I have a Razer Naga that I have beat up for four years, still works. A huge number of MMO players I know all have one too.

They keyboards, for whatever reason, have huge, huge QA issues.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slowhanded posted:

I MUCH prefer the Microsoft option for HTPC use, as an aside.

Better keys, touchpad, and the range is noticeably better than the two K400's I've had. I can use it from the kitchen, whereas the K400 sometimes would freak out if my knees were in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Razer mouses seem to be alright, I have a Razer Naga that I have beat up for four years, still works. A huge number of MMO players I know all have one too.

They keyboards, for whatever reason, have huge, huge QA issues.

I had a death adder die a month after it was bought, razer replaced it but a month?

• Locked thread