Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

You have to get training in the US to use a ladder

He was supervising people who work on ladders all day. For that he had to get certified. Mostly it's stuff like buying rickty old ladders that are falling apart isn't okay. Don't use metal ladders on power lines.. No, it's not perfectly okay to put a ladder in a mud puddle. Basically think of all of the ways management could cut corners with ladders or get their employees to do something dangerous with ladders and the course tries to teach you not to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Thomamelas posted:

He was supervising people who work on ladders all day. For that he had to get certified. Mostly it's stuff like buying rickty old ladders that are falling apart isn't okay. Don't use metal ladders on power lines.. No, it's not perfectly okay to put a ladder in a mud puddle. Basically think of all of the ways management could cut corners with ladders or get their employees to do something dangerous with ladders and the course tries to teach you not to do it.

Please tell me it mentioned walking under ladders at least once. Preferably with a black cat in the picture.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
One of my bugs got kicked back to me by one of our offshored Indian devs with the comment "icon is obtained from bootstrap.css which does not support in the IE8". I find the not quite right English kind of charming and I think I will start saying "does not support in the IE" from now on.

I kicked the bug back tho cause that was a real bug.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I hope when you kicked it back you asked them to please do the needful.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I hope when you kicked it back you asked them to please do the needful.

And revert back.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
But did you thank them in advance for their kind attention to this matter?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Annual performance review paraphrased:

"Sundae did a fantastic job and saved the company's bacon in November and December last year. However, all end-of-year calibration meetings were held in October, so these accomplishments cannot be counted for performance. Ranking: Met Expectations."

I'm just shocked, let me tell you.

Edit: I mean, seriously - I already knew they were going to give me a "meets expectations" because everybody gets that. Why even talk about the good things I did or say they weren't counted? Just talk about them (or not) and write the phrase "Met Expectations." Hell, write down a recipe for your grandmother's stroopwafels and add "Met Expectations" at the bottom for all I care. Just don't pretend you were ever going to give me anything other than that in the first place. Oh, if only my company could've hosed itself hard a month earlier, I could've somehow gotten credit for having saved it (yet again). Drat, better luck next year.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 17, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Sundae posted:

"Sundae did a fantastic job and saved the company's bacon in November and December last year. However, all end-of-year calibration meetings were held in October, so these accomplishments cannot be counted for performance. Ranking: Met Expectations."

You know what you must do. :black101:

nothing because like the rest of us you are a slave to the caprices of our corporate overlords :smith:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Xibanya posted:

nothing because like the rest of us you are a slave to the caprices of our corporate overlords :smith:

Yep. Just because I'm willing to tell people to go gently caress themselves and have a Laughing Box on my desk for use during dumb teleconferences doesn't mean I'm outside the overlords' nets. :smith:

Yet. :haw:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
^^ - What kind of goal do you have for your...let's call it "external revenue" before you're willing to finally throw the labcoat away?

Why do I feel like "revenue per employee" and "customer service as a percent of sales below 6%" are toxic, completely wrong metrics by which to evaluate a customer service team?

To wit: instead of hiring a replacement for an employee who left for greener pastures, that person's responsibilities now fall solely on the CS team (probably because of the RPE/CS as % of sales below 6% metrics). Her role (full time, 40 hours/week) was to oversee and manage partner integrations with our API and ensure our partners were creating systems that actually worked with ours, which involved testing their calls with SOAP, making sure the calls and request/response were formatted correctly, that they'd signed an integrator agreement, were aware of incoming development changes to our API, overseeing API documentation, etc.

Adding those responsibilities for the CS team will surely not add even more stress to an already overworked group of people and increase the likelihood of burnout. Surely not!

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 17, 2015

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

Why do I feel like "revenue per employee" and "customer service as a percent of sales below 6%" are toxic, completely wrong metrics by which to evaluate a customer service team?

Because they're absolutely stupid. I'm not entirely certain what the second one means (my interpretation is "spend less than 6% of sales on customer service" - is that right?), but the first one is definitely a poor indicator if you aren't in a sales-facing role. It's like applying revenue targets to a Quality Assurance group. Of COURSE they're a net negative in that regard; their job is to slam the door on bad batches before the customer even sees them.

If my interpretation of #2 is right, it's a terrible metric if you have no impact on sales or product quality. If someone sends out a product with terrible bullshit problems and you get stuck handling CS messes they made, that's not your fault. If sales falter because (whatever) and you guys keep doing your job, that's not your problem either. It's a metric that doesn't apply.

Our Investigations group has a metric of "have no more than 30 open investigations at any time" which is stupid for similar reasons: lack of input into the generation process. They don't create manufacturing errors - they just investigate the causes and recommend corrections. If 30+ mistakes happen in a week (this has happened several times), the Investigations group gets dinged for their metric because they have more than 30 open.

Edit:

quote:

^^ - What kind of goal do you have for your...let's call it "external revenue" before you're willing to finally throw the labcoat away?

We could already do it, expense-wise, but we want to have all debts eliminated before we quit and start something new. Our two objectives are repayment of all my wife's student loans and establishing a six month emergency buffer for in case something goes horribly wrong. We're paying down $4-6K a month on her loans, so I'm currently anticipating freedom between DEC2015 and JUN2016, depending on other factors like medical costs, etc.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 17, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sundae posted:

Edit: I mean, seriously - I already knew they were going to give me a "meets expectations" because everybody gets that. Why even talk about the good things I did or say they weren't counted? Just talk about them (or not) and write the phrase "Met Expectations." Hell, write down a recipe for your grandmother's stroopwafels and add "Met Expectations" at the bottom for all I care. Just don't pretend you were ever going to give me anything other than that in the first place. Oh, if only my company could've hosed itself hard a month earlier, I could've somehow gotten credit for having saved it (yet again). Drat, better luck next year.

Will those months be considered for next year's evaluation or did they just give you implicit permission to set things on fire or whatever the hell you want, as long as it's after October?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Yes, the second one means "spend less than 6% of sales on customer service", which alone indicates that CS is not slated to be properly staffed anytime soon. As an example, we have 5 full-time CS employees for over 1,000 active clients and almost all of them/us have over 50 outstanding cases on their personal queue/ticket list. In other words, there's incoming volume to be handled every day that's just piling on top of the small mountains they already have. This is of course due to the fact that two of the former employees were tapped to become sales lead generators when two of our salespeople quit over the third quarter last year due to frustration with management (natch). What a surprise!

CS has no impact on sales or product quality, other than logging the bugs dredged up through JIRA to our dev team. None. Occasionally we'll get the easy upsell when a client calls in with a request to upgrade, but otherwise, no revenue generation. In fact, our CS is actually completely free, something that's definitely not the norm for the industry that I'm in.

Our product is actually quite good on a fundamental level, but it does have a lot of complexity and a number of incongruous design decisions that lead to requirements for additional support. Hence my confusion around why RPE and CS<6%S are being applied to a CS team. If anything, CS should be measured around # cases/CS employee and average time to response if CS was really a concern, but nope, revenue.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Our product is actually quite good on a fundamental level, but it does have a lot of complexity and a number of incongruous design decisions that lead to requirements for additional support. Hence my confusion around why RPE and CS<6%S are being applied to a CS team. If anything, CS should be measured around # cases/CS employee and average time to response if CS was really a concern, but nope, revenue.

My cousins company uses metrics like these for customer service, which are then actively used as a "value add" when selling products to customers and a key part of general strategy to differentiate from competitors. Seems to be working well considering the company has been experiencing year on year 50% growth.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

First day back from my vacation. It looks like somebody took a dump in my inbox. There's still emails sitting in there from my first day off. It looks like my manager reassigned a few token things to make it look like she made an effort then just said gently caress it.

I wish I could say I was surprised.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

First day back from my vacation. It looks like somebody took a dump in my inbox. There's still emails sitting in there from my first day off. It looks like my manager reassigned a few token things to make it look like she made an effort then just said gently caress it.

I wish I could say I was surprised.

What, you didn't turn on your out of office responder, making sure to carefully and explicitly note that you will have NO ACCESS TO PHONE OR EMAIL COMMUNICATION for the duration?

Or, if you did, archive/delete and "I never got an email from x!"

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I need to be able to do my full job again soon (9 months since I could officially next week) as I spent the day arguing about why the word Cis is stupid.

On the plus side I got my new computer and should be able to do my full job soon, on the downside I have no way to connect to the network and have been told "we will get to it when we get to it" as the answer to when I will be able to do my full job.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

sbaldrick posted:

I need to be able to do my full job again soon (9 months since I could officially next week) as I spent the day arguing about why the word Cis is stupid.

You're a fuckwit :D

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What, you didn't turn on your out of office responder, making sure to carefully and explicitly note that you will have NO ACCESS TO PHONE OR EMAIL COMMUNICATION for the duration?

Or, if you did, archive/delete and "I never got an email from x!"

Out of office was on but we have an incredibly stupid policy where if you're on vacation my manager is supposed to reassign any work in your inbox rather than have the sales team redirect their request to the department inbox.

There was an email from my first day off sent at 8am in there so I was pretty much hosed from the start.

A pay cut to do something else is starting to look like more of a possibility.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Pidmon posted:

You're a fuckwit :D

it was a stupid day, I can admit it.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Somehow we're shorthanded on the heels of a holiday. I'd probably be OK, even with tackling new responsibilities assigned to me last week, except that our EDI system wet the bed over the long weekend and we didn't get all of the orders we were supposed to.

There is exactly one IT guy working who can fix it. If he has the time. The only customer who seems to be affected is, naturally, the biggest one with whom we have a meeting on Thursday.

We do what we can, I suppose...

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

EDI seems so simple, like it should just work all the time. And it seems to, but the larger the company the more it seems to screw up. I've noticed this same thing happening with accounting systems. I mean you've got millions of dollars, why do you have worse systems than small-medium companies?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chernobyl Prize posted:

EDI seems so simple, like it should just work all the time. And it seems to, but the larger the company the more it seems to screw up. I've noticed this same thing happening with accounting systems. I mean you've got millions of dollars, why do you have worse systems than small-medium companies?

In the case of my company, it's too many cooks in the kitchen.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Applied for a new job, negotiated on salary and just got the news yesterday that it was approved by their senior management, so the formal job offer is good to go.

:yotj:

Contingent on drug test/background check next week (which I have no reason to worry about), but I am planning on giving my 2 week notice this Friday.

I am suddenly far more relaxed and feel better about everything. Its pretty cool.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

GanjamonII posted:

Applied for a new job, negotiated on salary and just got the news yesterday that it was approved by their senior management, so the formal job offer is good to go.

:yotj:

Contingent on drug test/background check next week (which I have no reason to worry about), but I am planning on giving my 2 week notice this Friday.

I am suddenly far more relaxed and feel better about everything. Its pretty cool.

Yes, the period between an offer and actually starting are usually the most tranquil of any person's career

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Radio Talmudist posted:

Yes, the period between an offer and actually starting are usually the most tranquil of any person's career

Except when management threatens you and then backs off just to mess with you.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Peven Stan posted:

I want to say my employer is above that, but I really don't care at this point.
The way its shaping up is I'll have a week off between jobs and I am just happy.

We had someone on our team get an offer a year or two back, when he told the management he was let go on the spot.
That actually sounds even more relaxing - no busy 2 week knowledge transfer period, no rushing to tie up all the loose ends.. just peace until you start the new job.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Congratulations, Boss. Your attempts to get me to do twelve hours of work in a ten hour day have caused me to stop giving a gently caress entirely. Good job!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Congratulations, Boss. Your attempts to get me to do twelve hours of work in a ten hour day have caused me to stop giving a gently caress entirely. Good job!

You're making progress. Just expand that stop giving a gently caress attitude to everything job related in the future and then you'll really be set. Probably promoted, too!

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 19, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
My (tea partier) boss said something jaw-droppingly dumb today. In the break room at lunch today one of my black colleagues said that sitting near him was so awesome people should pay him their delicious food for the privilege (I had a tasty-smelling lunch and he was joking that I should give it to him. This is a typical routine for us and the roles reverse often. We are friends of convenience who make inane jokes to dull the pain of corporate.) and my boss said something like "please, back in the day I could buy you at kmart". My colleague laughed that off very graciously and I quickly found something very interesting on my phone to look at, but inside I was more like :stonk:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Well if that's part of a pattern of said boss harassing that dude that comment is probably slam-dunk evidence for a hostile work environment.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Peven Stan posted:

The notice period is a courtesy, if anyone in management wants to jerk me around during that time I would have no problem just walking out. If they're going to act like I'm the enemy for quitting my job, I'm not going to get a good reference from them anyway, so I don't have any incentive to put up with any nonsense.

The last job I quit, my boss didn't talk to me at all during the entire period and all the handoff work I did was coordinated with my peers. Suited me just fine.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Che Delilas posted:

The notice period is a courtesy, if anyone in management wants to jerk me around during that time I would have no problem just walking out. If they're going to act like I'm the enemy for quitting my job, I'm not going to get a good reference from them anyway, so I don't have any incentive to put up with any nonsense.

The last job I quit, my boss didn't talk to me at all during the entire period and all the handoff work I did was coordinated with my peers. Suited me just fine.

The brokerage industry in St. Louis is like 5 firms of people who all know each other because everyone job hops so they are all very chummy. Supervisors and managers all email each other between firms and a lunatic manager can have you blackballed from this industry with a few phone calls.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Peven Stan posted:

The brokerage industry in St. Louis is like 5 firms of people who all know each other because everyone job hops so they are all very chummy. Supervisors and managers all email each other between firms and a lunatic manager can have you blackballed from this industry with a few phone calls.

Sounds like you should look into lovely Kansas City or Chicago. gently caress that noise.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
So I'm calling all the project managers/managers I work with at the moment and telling them I'm leaving. So far not a single person has been negative about it. Everyone has congratulated me, said they will miss working with me, all supportive and such. Including those folks who I've had a somewhat more difficult working relationship with. They're also far more candid about the company.

Its like when you quit the cloak of corporate bullshit is lifted and people become human beings again.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Peven Stan posted:

On the other hand, if your manager is a lunatic, everyone knows she is,

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So my bonus got cut because we as a company "underperformed" this year. This was announced on tuesday.

Wednesday our main program goes down at 8 am meaning nobody in the department can do any work. Later in the day they announce we are approved to work overtime despite the program being down.

The program was down till Thursday afternoon. gently caress this place its like trying to thread a needle with one of those pool noodles. They can't rub two quarters together for us but complain that we aren't able to compete with other companies and approve overtime at the drop of a hat even though nothing can be accomplished with the extra time.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Clearly the only logical course of action is for you to log a shitton of 'overtime' and make back your bonus.

:homebrew:: "What do you mean, what was the result of all that overtime? The system was down, what do you think was the result?"

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

GanjamonII posted:

They're also far more candid about the company.

Its like when you quit the cloak of corporate bullshit is lifted and people become human beings again.

This is 100% my favorite thing about those 2 weeks. You learn that every single person was just as miserable as you were. It must be what it feels like when you're about to get out of prison.!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FrozenVent posted:

On the other hand, if your manager is a lunatic, everyone knows she is,

Its a testament to how far this company has fallen. She was hired despite her reputation and the hiring AVP even asked her about all the things she's heard about this individual.