Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I've found that Monaco at 9pt looks far better aliased than at any other size, since the original version was bitmapped, and OS X still uses the bitmap version at that size.

I do agree that it's small and anything denser than about 105 ppi would be difficult to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you blow those bitmapped fonts up big enough, they start looking okay again in a weird 8-bit way

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I haven't tried it yet, but I just came across Bark, which looks like it could be a much better solution than Hiss for integrating Growl into Notification Center.

x66Shadow66x
Aug 27, 2004

Don't worry, I'm fine. Charlie's fine by the way.
I feel like I randomly stumble across features every couple weeks even 5 years down the road using macs. Today I just accidentally dismissed a notification by two finger swiping it away. Awesome.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Oh gently caress, Mountain Lion supports animated gifs in QuickLook natively.

Well, there's my "never ever going back" feature for this release.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Diabolik900 posted:

I haven't tried it yet, but I just came across Bark, which looks like it could be a much better solution than Hiss for integrating Growl into Notification Center.

This seems awesome.

quote:

Why is this not part of Growl?
Bark modifies of Notification Center to present notifications on behalf of other apps. It uses a technique similar to Dropbox's Finder integration, and is definitely not allowed in the App Store.

Why isn't this open source?
Bark goes to great lengths to make its technique invisible to the user. We feel high-profile availability of this method would do a disservice to the community by making security exploits possible.

Also, weird. Real weird.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Thoom posted:

Oh gently caress, Mountain Lion supports animated gifs in QuickLook natively.

Well, there's my "never ever going back" feature for this release.

I'm not sure but I think Lion did it too.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I'm not sure but I think Lion did it too.

I remember there being some pretty big defect in Lion's support, which is why I was using the AnimatedGifQLGen plugin, but I don't remember exactly what it was.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a third 10.8.2 release out for developers (12C43), and I assume this is what will release next week since is the first one with delta and combo updates available.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 6, 2012

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

What are you guys using for Terminal/iTerm fonts?

I keep bouncing between Lucida Console (with the vertical spacing lowered) and Menlo. I like non-antialiased fonts like Proggy but they're far too small (11pt?), especially on an Air.

I've tried out a ton of fixed width fonts but I keep coming back to Menlo. It just seems to be the most readable at all sizes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does Safari 6.0 (on ML and Lion) just randomly crash for everyone? Usually when I'm loading a new page.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Oh wow, how the hell did I miss the release of Mountain Lion? It's even in the thread title.

Anything I should be cautious about when upgrading? I know a bunch of apps didn't survive the transition from 10.6 to 10.7, are similar issues to be expected when upgrading to 10.8?

Edit: also, does anyone know of an alternative to BlueHarvest that's stable and either free or available through the app store?

Jolan fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 6, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don't think there have been many 10.7 to 10.8 app compatibility issues because frankly it wasn't as big an update as usual (which should probably become the norm from now on with yearly releases).

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Can anyone recommend a reliable workaround for the monochrome sidebar issue in Lion/ML?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Can anyone recommend a reliable workaround for the monochrome sidebar issue in Lion/ML?

All I know of is a simbl plugin called ColorfulSidebar.

And speaking of SIMBL, someone forked it, updated it for ML, and added a new feature or two.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jolan posted:

Anything I should be cautious about when upgrading? I know a bunch of apps didn't survive the transition from 10.6 to 10.7, are similar issues to be expected when upgrading to 10.8?

I had some minor issues with Time Machine and Filevault so don't be surprised if the first post-upgrade backup takes a while.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Bob Morales posted:

What are you guys using for Terminal/iTerm fonts?

I generally use Inconsolata for my terminal and text editors.

For some additional choices:
http://hivelogic.com/articles/top-10-programming-fonts
http://www.quora.com/Computer-Programming/What-are-the-best-monospace-or-fixed-width-fonts-to-use-for-programming

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I have a mid-2010 Mac Mini, so I know in ML I can't do AirPlay mirroring, but can you send audio to a Apple TV outside of iTunes? I'd love to be able to stream Spotify or Pandora or whatnot to my stereo from my computer.

If not, does anyone have any recommendations for Third Party apps to do this in Snow Leopard?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I really like Consolas (mentioned in both links), both on Windows and OS X.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
edit: i'm too stupid ro realize i'm in the wrong thread

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 7, 2012

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Edit: nevermind, display issues in Firefox that were resolved by restarting the app. :downs:

Jolan fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 6, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

Does Safari 6.0 (on ML and Lion) just randomly crash for everyone? Usually when I'm loading a new page.

Anecdotally, not for me on any of my ML desktops or laptops; sometimes it might beachball on a full-length movie on YouTube but I think that's more Flash's fault.

Jolan posted:

Oh wow, how the hell did I miss the release of Mountain Lion? It's even in the thread title.

Anything I should be cautious about when upgrading?

Try resetting the PRAM and the SMC after running the update if you run into any problems, just to make sure the OS and the hardware are fine dealing with each other.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Anecdotally, not for me on any of my ML desktops or laptops; sometimes it might beachball on a full-length movie on YouTube but I think that's more Flash's fault.

No Flash for me - I have it going on 2 Airs and an iMac. Both Airs are ML and do it, and the iMac is L and does it.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

choobs posted:

I have a mid-2010 Mac Mini, so I know in ML I can't do AirPlay mirroring, but can you send audio to a Apple TV outside of iTunes? I'd love to be able to stream Spotify or Pandora or whatnot to my stereo from my computer.

If not, does anyone have any recommendations for Third Party apps to do this in Snow Leopard?

It should work. The option appears on my 2010 Mini, though I haven't tried it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I heard about this but haven't run into it until recently. It seemed to happen when copy/pasting something quickly between windows, and I think the Console showed something with the pasteboard around that time. I don't think I've seen it happen other than that but I'm sure there's some weird random voodoo behind it.

(also if it makes a difference I'm on 10.8 still, haven't updated to 10.8.1 yet)

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

cbirdsong posted:

Also, weird. Real weird.

Yeah... Nope. Not installing. Hiss is open source at least. "I care about security so very much!" *argues for use of security through obscurity"

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Yip, crashes for me too (on ML)

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
my 2012 MBA doesnt find my apple tv 2 for airplay mirroring. It works great on my ipad and iPhone though. ATV is hard wired (ethernet) and MBA/ipad/iphone are on wireless. Any ideas?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FWIW, I've been running 6.0 on both ML and 10.7 since the day they came out and I've yet to experience a single crash. I'm an edge case what with a few of my machines not being genuine Apple hardware, but if we're strictly talking about stability I've had no problems with either 10.7's 6.0 or 10.8's 6.0 on both legit and hack hardware.

First thing I'd do is disable any extensions you may have enabled.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Martytoof posted:

First thing I'd do is disable any extensions you may have enabled.
I don't have any, I run the most plain-jane web browsing experience there is.

The whole app just flat out disappears. Maybe once or twice a day. Every other time or so, I'll get a 'Do you want to submit a crash report to Apple...' thing when it starts back up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anything in your logs around that time? Fire up Console.app

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I will next time it does it.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Happens to me once a day or so when I open a new tab. Had it happen earlier, this is what showed up under system.log:

Sep 7 01:07:06 21-m kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page(0x1000): p=9045[GoogleSoftwareUp] clearing CS_VALID

On Safari and ML 10.8.1. (Has happened since I upgraded to ML)

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Is there any way to set this up so that both of these scenarios occur, possibly through Terminal?

Scenario 1: The display goes to sleep due to the computer being idle for 10 minutes, you come back and move the mouse and carry on without needing to input a password.
Scenario 2: I manually put the display to sleep by using a hot corner. You come back and move the mouse and need to input a password in order to resume use of the system.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I've been having the damndest time trying to get Win7 64 installed via BootCamp on my late 2009 27" iMac, sans bootable optical drive. I think I've determined it's a "my EFI is immature" thing. Can't boot from a USB optical drive (or any flash drive) past a certain point without "no boot device" or, "some firmware don't support non-SATA boot things, dude." MS's official DVD-to-USB tool doesn't create something that fully works either, even with some custom EFI files. rEFIt is nice and gives me more options, but once it starts booting from the USB device it stops pretty quickly. Is it a FAT32/NTFS thing? Do I have to make it UDF or something?

Do I just have to re-partition an internal drive with a bootable setup image partition and boot from it? What am I missing? Maybe I'll try a FW partition.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Just happened to me, got this

7/09/12 6:31:16.766 PM Safari[12220]: CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary on line 3. Parsing will be abandoned. Break on _CFPropertyListMissingSemicolon to debug.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
I tried asking this in the Chrome thread too, but no answer so far and it MIGHT be an OS X thing, so I try here as well:

FistLips posted:

Using Chrome 21.0.1180.89 on OS X Mountain Lion.

Ever since updating Chrome, my Facebook chat keeps asking me to scroll down to see new messages and doesn't automatically scroll down for me. This does not happen on Firefox or Safari, just Chrome. Any ideas for a fix for this? Sorry if this has been asked before!

FistLips fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 7, 2012

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apple Mail + Gmail

How do I get rid of this [Gmail] folder:

Expanding it (left arrow) doesn't show any unassigned folders. It's annoying because I guess I'm a bit OCD about this stuff. It won't let me right click and delete.

Set the 'IMAP prefix' in the IMAP settings to '[Gmail]'.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Um, I downloaded and installed Lion and it automatically updated to Mountain Lion, which I can't use for work. Command+R doesn't work, so can anyone tell me how to reinstall it and keep it from automatically updating to the latest version? Apologies if this should've gone in HoTS, but it seemed too minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hahah I'm actually not sure except maybe try disconnecting the computer from the internet?