Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I have a bunch of chicken breasts to use as well as some 7 grain confusing thing and zucchini and I have no idea what to do with it pls help now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
You could make bang bang ji. It's essentially just chicken breasts over thin-sliced zucchini with a sauce.

Edit: Whoops, cucumber. Close enough?

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/szechuanpoultryrecipes/r/bangbangchicken.htm

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Well poo poo that looks good but I just ran out of sesame seed oil and I forgot to get some today. Also, no cucumbers.

But it puts me on the right track! I also have some cabbage I should get rid of. Chicken and cabbage is a good direction to head.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Chicken-stuffed cabbage rolls? Cook the chicken with your 7-grain thing and bake them in rolled cabbage, garnish with some kind of sauce!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I ended up making this

http://www.thefoodinmybeard.com/2010/08/indian-spice-cabbage-and-zucchini.html

I still have half a cabbage head left which I will use for wraps tomorrow.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
How long should I steam tamales? Vegetarian filling if it matters.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Depends on how big they are, what you wrapped them with, how many are in the pot, etc. Generally at least half an hour, but it could be a lot more. Any more specific info you can give?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Depends on how big they are, what you wrapped them with, how many are in the pot, etc. Generally at least half an hour, but it could be a lot more. Any more specific info you can give?

As they have not been made yet (thanksgiving), I can't say. They'll be average-sized homemade tamales, wrapped with corn husks, in a stock pot with a steamer basket. No idea how big the basket is, since I'm just using what's at the party.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

As they have not been made yet (thanksgiving), I can't say. They'll be average-sized homemade tamales, wrapped with corn husks, in a stock pot with a steamer basket. No idea how big the basket is, since I'm just using what's at the party.

Give them half an hour at good steam then, pull one out and see if it's good. If it is, party time! If it's not, steam them some more.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

I'm making some later this week and the recipes I'm drawing on tend to say around an hour. What Wiggles says should do it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Give them half an hour at good steam then, pull one out and see if it's good. If it is, party time! If it's not, steam them some more.
Thanks!

And excellent tamale news: I'm getting some Hatch chiles for the filling. Gonna be good.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I want to make those chicken shish kebobs that you can get at Arabic stores. What the hell do they marinade that stuff in? Some kind of combination of corriander, tumeric, mint and some other stuff??

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Iranians love to use grated onions on their kebabs. Also sumac, motherfuckers.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Are you talking about shish kebab with ground meat or cubed? Also, make a sumac onion salad with sumac, onions (red onions if available), tomatoes, leaf parsley and salt to taste.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

The cubed chicken variety. The ones you either get in a sandwich or on a platter with other kebab meats. I love that stuff.

I'll have to hunt down some sumac though. Shouldn't be too hard though I am in a big Middle Eastern neighborhood. I figure I should just learn how to marinate my own rather than wasting money haha.

On that note, for those shish kebob sandwhiches, it's usually that white sauce, tomatoes and some Arabic pickles? What are those called, and does anyone got a good sauce recipe?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

The cubed chicken variety. The ones you either get in a sandwich or on a platter with other kebab meats. I love that stuff.

I'll have to hunt down some sumac though. Shouldn't be too hard though I am in a big Middle Eastern neighborhood. I figure I should just learn how to marinate my own rather than wasting money haha.

On that note, for those shish kebob sandwhiches, it's usually that white sauce, tomatoes and some Arabic pickles? What are those called, and does anyone got a good sauce recipe?

Isn't it just yogurt, cucumbers, parsley, and onions? Sometimes there is a garlic spread that is oilier though. I usually just use garlic pureed into yogurt, but I admit that the "correct" stuff is probably emulsified oil, or mayo-like.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Tzatziki? It's pretty common on Greek and Turkish dishes.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
The pickles would be called mekhallel and the white sauce is a yoghurt and pressed/chopped garlic mix with lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.

Edit: this isn't absolute though, arabic is a pan-ethnic term and asking the shopkeepers could yield you different varieties.

Didion fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 20, 2012

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've heard good things about spatchcock for chicken and turkey, I'm guessing it works just as well for duck? Scoring the skin and having a way to catch the fat drippings, of course.

Alternatively I'll break it apart, but once I defrost the whole thing, I don't want to freeze half of it again. I'm only feeding myself.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The garlicky one is called toum. It's just an emulsion of lemon juice, garlic, salt and neutral oil.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Yeah sorry I should have been a bit more specific.

There's actually two that I am thinking of. One is definitely toum. There's a Lebenese place that always serves that with kebob platters. It's almost like a mayo like spread that is delicious, but smells so strong that people will avoid you for the next few hours.

There's a another sauce that typically comes on the kebob sandwiches. I don't know exactly what ethnicity this Middle Eastern place is, but it's definitely more spicy than garlic, and it is more watery. Definitely not tzatiki (which is awesome as well)

Now that I think about it, I think it might even be more pinkish/redish than white. I guess I should go grab it for lunch sometime soon and check it out. They put it on all of those sandwiches. The only thing that sucks is that the place is really FOB Middle Eastern and speak really limited English.

at least I got the one sauce and pickles down. Thanks guys!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Hey, guys, tried out the various tea ideas.

The butter tea had a delicious flavor, but wasn't very strong, more of a gentle aftertaste. I think maybe I didn't do enough tea to butter ratio?

The vodka just about obliterated the tea taste.

I didn't get around to trying the matcha, but I did try what Cuddle suggested and put the tea directly into the cookies, and that seemed to work the best. Fantastic.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
So I made a pesto cream sauce yesterday and (predictably) the oil separated out from the cream and cheese after a day in the fridge.

Is it possible to emulsify the sauce again? I tried microwaving a small portion of it, but instead most of the cheese component remelted and bound up even stronger to the cream.

Ideas? Not a big deal, just curious.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Doh, you don't seem to post much in this thread, but if you lurk it, would you be kind enough to drop a bit more specifics for the pie recipe in your challenge thread? I think it would be a bomb rear end addition to the Pumpkin and Pecan pies that we usually have on turkeyday. If not, I will probably horrible mess up the amount of spices and destroy everything.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

So I finally bought a cast iron pan. I really should have got one some time ago. So my roommate decided to use it as a top while he made stew from his leftover turkey. The bottom, as you might expect, is a little rusty. Other than stabbing my roommate, is there anything I need to do? By the bottom I mean the outside, not the cooking surface.

Second question: I see beets used all the time by a lot of the top posters around here. I've literally never had beets in my life. What's a cool recipe to try this mysterious vegetable in?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I think if its on the outside its probably ok to leave it alone and itll burn off eventually

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Wolfy posted:

Second question: I see beets used all the time by a lot of the top posters around here. I've literally never had beets in my life. What's a cool recipe to try this mysterious vegetable in?

Roasting them is always good, since they're a root veggie it takes about 30~40 mins in an oven at 375F. I just wash them and throw them on a baking sheet with a little oil, but you can go much further. After they're done, take off the skin without burning yourself, slice, shove in mouth. Dill and sour cream are common things to put on them afterwards.

I love pickled beets, but I don't have a recipe. I'll have to ask my mom one of these days.

I'm not a big fan of borscht, though that's always an option.

Also don't use any towels/hands/etc that you don't mind pink stains on.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

I didn't get around to trying the matcha, but I did try what Cuddle suggested and put the tea directly into the cookies, and that seemed to work the best. Fantastic.
:3: I like biscotti *and* tea. Hint hint hint.

Wolfy posted:

So I finally bought a cast iron pan. I really should have got one some time ago. So my roommate decided to use it as a top while he made stew from his leftover turkey. The bottom, as you might expect, is a little rusty. Other than stabbing my roommate, is there anything I need to do? By the bottom I mean the outside, not the cooking surface.
This isn't your everyday wimpy pan. Grab some steel wool and scrub that rust right off. Or don't! You don't eat off the bottom and there's so drat much metal in that pan that a micron of so of iron oxide can't possibly harm it.

Are you feeling especially fussy and want it to look nice? Well just scrub it down, rub it with grease (bacon grease) and throw it into your oven at 500 for a while. A horrible wall of smoke and fire will probably erupt from the oven but stay strong! Turn off the oven after a while and let things cool down for a bit. Pull out the pan when it's not flesh-searing hot and wipe off the bottom which should be mostly carbon at this point. Ta-da, it's "clean" and blackened and ready for further abuse.

Man, gently caress it, it's a drat cast iron skillet. Go and light up some charcoal briquettes in a bucket of sand, throw your skillet on top when they are nice and glowy red and cook up some steak in your pan. When you finish, pull it out of the fire and let it cool down on another bucket of sand. Ta-da, clean.

You can't hurt this thing unless you put it through rapid temperature changes like taking it from a hot oven into a tub of water; that can crack the iron. Otherwise just enjoy its mighty metal mass.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Ok. My pan is fine! I figured it was going to be ok, but thought I would ask. I'm definitely hiding it from my roommate. There's 4 of us here and this guy's cookware crimes are well documented and talked about by everyone else.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Saint Darwin posted:

I think if its on the outside its probably ok to leave it alone and itll burn off eventually

Rust tends to make more rust, so you should steel wool it and re-oil the bottom. Problem fixed!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Wolfy posted:

Ok. My pan is fine! I figured it was going to be ok, but thought I would ask. I'm definitely hiding it from my roommate. There's 4 of us here and this guy's cookware crimes are well documented and talked about by everyone else.

Luckily for you, your immortal cast iron can double has a weapon!

It is totally fine though. Those things really are impossible to destroy.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

vegetable stock question.

I've got a small bag of vegetable scraps in the freezer, mostly onion ends and carrot peelings. I also have some gai lan in there. Will this make the stock taste too.... green?

Is there anything I shouldn't save for vegetable stock? I see people put in potato peelings, but some times the peels have green in them, so I don't save those.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

squigadoo posted:

vegetable stock question.

I'm not sure of the specifics of using gai lan in stock, but because it's a relative of broccoli, I would be instinctively wary. If you put broccoli or cauliflower in stock, it makes it smell really foul and taste very bitter, because of sulphurous compounds.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wolfy posted:

1. Kill your roommate.

2. Beetroot gratin. Sensationally delicious. I suggest that you use a food processor for slicing; you par-cook beets in the microwave first (5 on high, stir, another 5, with just the water from rinsing them); and cook for longer than the recipe says. I use fresh rosemary.
http://www.riverford.co.uk/feed/in:recipes/beetroot-gratin/

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I'm making some red meat sauce tonight for dinner. Would it be bad if I got it started, cooking for about an hour or so, turned off heat while I go pick up my mom, and return an hour later and start it back up? I need to simmer the sauce on low for 4 hours while stirring it, and I don't want to leave the flame on for an hour when no one is home.

Am I risking anything? Will it gently caress up the sauce?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I would be tempted to put the sauce in a heavy casserole dish/dutch oven, ideally cast-iron or something else that does oven-to-stovetop, then put the covered casserole dish into a slow oven, 200 or so. Unless you don't trust your stove, leaving the sauce in the oven for an hour or two shouldn't be risky.

I have a tools question. I'm considering buying my husband a laser infrared thermometer for Christmas. The laser thermometers sold for construction are about half the price of the cooking ones. Is this a case like microplane graters, where the shop tool works perfectly well in the kitchen and doesn't have the markup? This is for a home hobby kitchen, not a professional kitchen.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I would be tempted to put the sauce in a heavy casserole dish/dutch oven, ideally cast-iron or something else that does oven-to-stovetop, then put the covered casserole dish into a slow oven, 200 or so. Unless you don't trust your stove, leaving the sauce in the oven for an hour or two shouldn't be risky.

That's a good idea! I just don't want the bottom to burn, so this should be okay?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

How often do you normally stir it at this stage? Are we talking every fifteen minutes or every minute?

I would just toss it in a heavy enamelled iron dutch oven. If you wanted to be extra extra careful you could put it in a thinner pan in a water bath; that will spread the heat evenly up the sides.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools-and-techniques/what-is-a-water-bath.htm

Note that you'd want to cover the dish containing the sauce, since you do not want the sauce to pick up moisture from the air.

Another question: Are you cooking it all this time to reduce the liquid slowly, or does most of the liquid cook off in the early stages?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How often do you normally stir it at this stage? Are we talking every fifteen minutes or every minute?

I would just toss it in a heavy enamelled iron dutch oven. If you wanted to be extra extra careful you could put it in a thinner pan in a water bath; that will spread the heat evenly up the sides.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools-and-techniques/what-is-a-water-bath.htm

Note that you'd want to cover the dish containing the sauce, since you do not want the sauce to pick up moisture from the air.

Another question: Are you cooking it all this time to reduce the liquid slowly, or does most of the liquid cook off in the early stages?

I usually stir it once every 15 minutes and I keep the lid on loosely. It's a very slow reduce. We sadly don't have a dutch oven here at my parents, but I think it will be okay in the pot, it's pretty heavy. I just need to find a cover that is oven safe. Most of the ones here have a "black" (not rubber) piece on the top of the lids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I am going to be making stock from the two turkey backbones/necks I harvested for this year's thanksgiving dinner. Should I roast/saute the chicken parts before putting them in the pot, or go cold? Oh and what is the general rule for adding salt to the stock making process?