Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah road trips are specifically the reason we supplemented our spark ev with an S. Took it almost 500mi yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Road trips are apparently one of those things like standing up/sitting down to wipe your rear end where neither side can believe the other side even exists.

People who take regular road trips think that people who only use their cars in the city must be weak-assed pansies who are barely even qualified to own a car.

People who don't take road trips think people who drive ten hours to see grandma instead of taking a plane must be insane cheapass environment-ruining nutjobs.

Tyrgle
Apr 3, 2009
Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

but are road trips really that much of a thing for most people that you make an entire car purchase decision based on them?

People buy enormous lifted diesel pickup trucks designed for towing horse trailers through mud that get 10 mpg because they have a vague notion that maybe, some day, they'll want to haul a sheet of plywood back from Home Depot.

People buy giant SUVs built on those same truck frames because they want to be able to drive over the curb onto someone's lawn if parking is hard to find at a house party.

There is absolutely nothing even remotely rational when it comes to peoples' behavior around cars or otherwise.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

I constantly hear this question and everytime I respond by asking how often do you take road trips I get the same blank stare response of "Never?" I mean maybe it is my demographics (Which can't be that far from the market in the foreseeable future of electric cars) but are road trips really that much of a thing for most people that you make an entire car purchase decision based on them?

I just need enough range that it's not horrible to travel the ~4 hours to my home town for all the family obligation stuff. Speaking of which, just got back from a trip driving across Missouri twice in my 3 and good lord was the autopilot nice on I-70. It's such a stupid boring highway it normally wears me the hell out but compared to normal I'm downright refreshed compared to normal. I did have to stop in Columbia on the way back because I didn't have a full charge leaving on my return trip and had to get 25 minutes of super charger to be sure to have enough range.

So far it looks like I never got charged for visits to the St. Charles, MO supercharger, so I basically drove about 600 miles for ~$7-10 including my initial charge from home.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 29, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Arkane posted:

One thing I am wondering...we have a lot of electric vehicles coming over the next few years. Where are these non-Teslas going to recharge on a road trip or in some other non-home/non-work environment? And who is going to be building out the infrastructure for this?

You will charge at a privately owned Level 4 charger put there by a company that hopes to turn a profit. There are a few of them around already in the US, but it will probably be many years yet of sparse coverage and annoying payment methods.

For a few years, profitability might be hampered by Volkswagen, who are legally/morally obliged to install thousands of them: https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/18/17252088/vw-porsche-electric-car-charging-station-us

In some places you can make the trip already. There are many sites that show current coverage and several Bolt road trip vlogs on YouTube.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Highway charging will probably be something different from what we have now. Half hour charging doesn't work when 30% of the cars are EV. There isn't enough parking space close to exits available not to mention the power availability, especially in dense travel corridors.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ola posted:

You will charge at a privately owned Level 4 charger put there by a company that hopes to turn a profit. There are a few of them around already in the US, but it will probably be many years yet of sparse coverage and annoying payment methods.

For a few years, profitability might be hampered by Volkswagen, who are legally/morally obliged to install thousands of them: https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/18/17252088/vw-porsche-electric-car-charging-station-us

In some places you can make the trip already. There are many sites that show current coverage and several Bolt road trip vlogs on YouTube.

The only way to make a profit owning a charging station is if you also generate the electricity.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

One thing that will be important is a way to tell how full a charging station is before getting off the highway, like Tesla shows for the superchargers. Without that, it will be a frustrating experience getting anywhere on a busy holiday.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drgitlin posted:

The only way to make a profit owning a charging station is if you also generate the electricity.

The only way to make a profit on anything is to sell it at a higher price than you buy it. It holds for electricity like everything else.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drgitlin posted:

I don’t think that’s true, but you might have to find a way to get it wholesale off the utility market.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is the underlying assumption here that people aren't willing to pay more than household rates for fast charging on the road? That assumption is wrong.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Three Olives posted:

I constantly hear this question and everytime I respond by asking how often do you take road trips I get the same blank stare response of "Never?" I mean maybe it is my demographics (Which can't be that far from the market in the foreseeable future of electric cars) but are road trips really that much of a thing for most people that you make an entire car purchase decision based on them?

I’m going from DFW to SA at least three maybe four times for the weekend in the next two/three months (330miles door to door). My Volt is the only electric car on the market that could do what I want when I bought it. Flying/Renting that often would be a royal pain.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I would much rather take the 50m flight from SA to DFW than deal with i35 on the weekends. gently caress that.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I’d much rather drive then deal with the TSA or take a train/bus. Plus I know where all the good beef jerky and barbecue stops are.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Not everyone lives in a large metroplex with everything nearby.

For me going to the nearest major city is ~50 miles one way. Just going to a major shopping center is a small road trip in itself. So yes, I am going to make my purchase decision based on that. No point in buying a car that can't even drive to where I want to go on a regular basis.

Different people have different needs, news at 11...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I drove a 210-mile round-trip last week, and it was the first time I can remember doing over 100 miles in a single day in years. And yet I still worry that a 150-mile range wouldn't be adequate in an EV.

People are badly broken.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I rode 180 miles on my motorcycle yesterday and I'm going to drive 350 miles one-way at the end of the week :shrug:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Don't pay $5000 for Autopilot that maybe might work someday or at least not endanger your life

https://twitter.com/LBPD_PIO_45/status/1001541486146547717

But if you do, Tesla will immediately pay you back if you sue them for false advertising of an unreliable product

https://twitter.com/orthereaboot/status/1001424404100808704

:capitalism:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They said the data showed that Tesla that hit the firetruck a monthish ago accelerated right before the accident. I'm wondering if the reflective bits on fire trucks/police cars anger the Tesla, making it lust for blood.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Q: are other cars with TACC/Lane Assist plowing into things?

Tyrgle
Apr 3, 2009
Nap Ghost

RZA Encryption posted:

Q: are other cars with TACC/Lane Assist plowing into things?

It seems you'd need to control for whether their drivers are competent or not to figure out whether Tesla's version is flawed or normal.

I mean the interminable internet response to all Tesla stories is to blame them for calling it "autopilot", which is kind of amazing considering that every time I get on a commercial jet they have not one but two allegedly human bus drivers up front...

Hence the obvious assumption is that Tesla drivers are... not so smart.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I use autopilot 40mi per day and am always paying attention. It did a great job this morning when someone swerved into my lane going much slower. It slowed down and beeped to alert me. Not a minute later a FedEx truck swayed into my lane and proximity beeped me.

I generally just feel less stressed while driving since I'm not constantly dreading the gently caress wits doing stupid things as much. Anyone who thinks they can stare at their phone and drive any car is a moron.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tyrgle posted:

I mean the interminable internet response to all Tesla stories is to blame them for calling it "autopilot", which is kind of amazing considering that every time I get on a commercial jet they have not one but two allegedly human bus drivers up front...

Hence the obvious assumption is that Tesla drivers are... not so smart.

And “co‐pilot” is somehow supposed to imply a less hands‐off approach than “autopilot”.

The mind boggles.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Marketing probably has a lot to do with it. One being sold as "cruise control, but better", the other as "a software update away from not needing a steering wheel". There are probably as many crashes in vehicles with similar features, and both are no doubt lower than straight up human drivers, but "idiot uses cruise control and crashes" doesn't make as good a headline as "robot car feasts on human flesh".

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I really don't see it as too helpful a comparison because if cruise control randomly rammed you into highway dividers and fire trucks I'd call that a problem too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

"robot car feasts on human flesh".

I’d unironically prefer this timeline.

Tyrgle
Apr 3, 2009
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

"idiot uses cruise control and crashes" doesn't make as good a headline as "robot car feasts on human flesh".

Don't forget how much money I can make short selling Tesla stock if only the media keeps making every single accident involving one national news. What, me cynical?

That said I think we're about 30 years away from really having credible autonomous cars outside of a glorified closed track, so Tesla selling the feature as an upgrade option is pretty irresponsible. There's a huge chasm between tacc/assist and a robot driving your kids home from school in a snowstorm.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
A. Some of these accidents involve swerving into gore points or accelerating into emergency vehicles

B. Tesla's own marketing implies full autonomy is only a software update away

C. Tesla marketing video shows Musk with neither hand on the wheel as he turns and talks with his passenger

and yes, D. calling it Autopilot is dumb as hell and implies things about reliability and autonomy and open them up to a ton of liability

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
every time this discussion of teslas autopilot comes up my mind goes to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93OfrUek-G4&t=18s

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I just drove my volt about 600 miles this past weekend mostly gas but I was getting nearly full charges on 120v, and use mostly battery on my day to day driving. I don't really understand why road trip people wouldn't opt for long-range PHEVs, or why there aren't more PHEV options out there. Yeah a 200 mi EV could have functioned as well with some planning but its just so completely simple to gas up and keep going at 45mpg. It seems to me that people willing to go the EV route seem to think they need to sever themselves from gas usage completely, when there is a perfectly viable range extender with a built in infrastructure already in place.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jimong5 posted:

It seems to me that people willing to go the EV route seem to think they need to sever themselves from gas usage completely

Yeah, this is me. My hope is to never purchase gasoline again.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jimong5 posted:

I just drove my volt about 600 miles this past weekend mostly gas but I was getting nearly full charges on 120v, and use mostly battery on my day to day driving. I don't really understand why road trip people wouldn't opt for long-range PHEVs, or why there aren't more PHEV options out there. Yeah a 200 mi EV could have functioned as well with some planning but its just so completely simple to gas up and keep going at 45mpg. It seems to me that people willing to go the EV route seem to think they need to sever themselves from gas usage completely, when there is a perfectly viable range extender with a built in infrastructure already in place.

Volt owners that min-max their trips to ensure the gas engine never starts are missing the point. The car is amazing because you commute on electricity, and then road trips and “oh poo poo” moments are no big deal.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jimong5 posted:

. It seems to me that people willing to go the EV route seem to think they need to sever themselves from gas usage completely,

I hate gas stations. I hate the smell. I hate the physical act of pumping gas. I hate the whole drat thing. And how hosed up gas subsidies are in murica. Happy to no longer own anything that uses gas of any kind.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

How have y'all changed your driving habits to get the most efficient use out of a hybrid? I picked up a BMW 530e the other day, and I have a 5 mile commute to work via city streets. My battery was fully charged, and it was all gone by the time I got home. I figure I should be able to get more out of it than one day of commuting.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

I hate gas stations. I hate the smell. I hate the physical act of pumping gas. I hate the whole drat thing. And how hosed up gas subsidies are in murica. Happy to no longer own anything that uses gas of any kind.

I can pump 300 miles worth of gas in 5 minutes.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Gas is more convenient, no doubt. It's more of a "if you can make full ev work for you then you should do it" kind of thing.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, this is me. My hope is to never purchase gasoline again.

:same:

I have zero interest in a hybrid that has the maintenance and cost of an ICE and an EV in one vehicle. Even more than the gas savings, I want all the ICE costs and worries gone forever.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Deteriorata posted:

I can plug in my car at home once a week over night for 200+ mi of driving /shrug (different strokes for different folks. Im all bout that low maintenance life)

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 30, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So maybe a dumb question that my neighbor asked when I (kind of smugly) mentioned that I am at 3,500 miles on my Volt with only using 2 gallons of gas. Is there any treatment or stabilizer I need to do to keep the gas good in there? At what point should I do something? I can easily see going several more months until I use this tank up (using none in the summer months) and don't want to do any damage or muck anything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Deteriorata posted:

But if you had a gas pump at your house, and started off every day with 300+ miles of range you would almost never need to. And when you did need to you might want a 20 - 30 min break after driving 300 miles. It's really not much of a problem.

• Locked thread