Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
You can do that with plex if you're ok with fiddling with it, which would let you even stream to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

the good fax machine posted:

Hey, while we're on the topic of kids shows, what in the absolute hell happened to Sesame Street? There's a dedicated Elmo segment now in which he sings one word songs to the tune of "Jingle Bells." Just one word. Snow snow snow, snow snow snow, snow snow snow snow snow. It's drivel. It's strange because the rest of the show still seems normal enough, but then Elmo comes on and everything goes full retard. I don't even remember Elmo being on the show when I was a kid, it was all about that Big Bird.

The skin one is the best. His guest is a "book of skin"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2opOM6Iz6U

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
i really there's things that we have to just get over like Elmo and his dumb poo poo, or the ponderous nature of Daniel the Tiger, or the weirdness of splash & bubbles. There are objectively bad shows out there but if there's something decent that the kid can take from it then I'll put on my big boy pants and just sing "do-do-da-do do-do-da-do Elmo's a butt"

Besides I trained him to like Star Trek TNG so it all evens out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You can do that with plex if you're ok with fiddling with it, which would let you even stream to anything.

Yeah it's only for two movies so I'm not going to worry with Plex a the moment... but that's something I *am* probably going to set up a little further down the road.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

DiHK posted:

i really there's things that we have to just get over like Elmo and his dumb poo poo, or the ponderous nature of Daniel the Tiger, or the weirdness of splash & bubbles. There are objectively bad shows out there but if there's something decent that the kid can take from it then I'll put on my big boy pants and just sing "do-do-da-do do-do-da-do Elmo's a butt"

Daniel Tiger was helpful for my (now 7) year old son. He had a losing teeth and dentist fear at the time (maybe around 3?)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

right to bear karma posted:

Your stories are my favorite, mostly because they remind me of my boys, except mine are two years apart. We finally just barred them from the kitchen entirely, unless we're doing some sort of activity in there.

This is unfortunately not possible with our open house layout. I dunno how many times today I found them on a chair trying to get into cupboards and look for candy.

I think it's time to throw the babies out with the frozen bath water:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The peppa pig universe is a fun one to think about. How did all of those mammals become sentient? How come the only humans left are the queen and santa? Where does milk come from for all that cheese they eat if the only non sentient animals left are non mammals? Are you only allowed to be with animals of your own species?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

DiHK posted:

A good parent right here, folks

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Aaah JFC just caught David on the kitchen counter with a scissor and a plastic bag containing a printer cartridge. He thinks it's candy and the more I say it's not the more he thinks it's candy. Also he had no pants. His brother has no sweater. And he has started to develop a fashion sense, like he refuses to wear any other shirt than this particular one that says "Best Kid Ever".

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So, am I a horrible mother for simply being accustomed to my 6 month old's acid reflux? My husband spent the past 2 months mostly out of town and he swears the reflux was not this bad before. To me, it's the same, and the kid is gaining weight. His Zantac probably can get upped now that he's got some chunk, but he's not really uncomfortable unless you lay him flat right after eating. So long as he's gaining and not in pain, I shouldn't worry, right? Cause he's freaking out.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

If he's not in pain and eating and gaining well I wouldn't worry about it.
Some kids just spit up a lot.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

Amazon has some great original kids programming. Stinky and Dirty, Tumble Leaf, and Creative Galaxy are all great. Otherwise we stick to PBS and some of the older Nick Jr. shows that are available on Amazon Prime. Sadly, his favorite thing is clicking around youtube, which bothers me because the content is not that great...

TumbleLeaf! My son adores it, and man I love TumbleLeaf. It's so freaking twee and earnest but it manages to be endearing not obnoxious. It's by the team that does Adventure Time, and it's won a bunch of awards for art stuff. All the creatures have tree/plant type names, and let me tell you, hearing my son talk about the chicken named Rutabaga is a riot. He loves Stinky & Dirty too. Dinosaur Train (Henson related) is another on Amazon he loves.

Unless you keep your child in a box, and live in somewhere with no access to the internet or Western tv, your child will know Elmo. It's like he's part of toddler collective consciousness. We've always stuck to Sprout (PBS's kids channel) which I like because the shows don't have toy tie ins. Sure there's commercials, but the shows aren't just there to be advertisements for the product line. He sees a bit of Disney Kids if my sitter on Sundays has a lot of homework, and I don't like the stuff there. He watches so little TV now that he can use a tablet, heh. I set up a restricted account, removed all apps except a real restricted profile in YouTube and he'll watch Ryan's Toy Reviews and stuff.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
If anyone can come up with an easy solution I will love your forever.

My 15 months old son may have pneumonia and we have to give him 6ml of antibiotic twice a day. It' his third round of antibiotic (he had a few ear infections). We never had problem giving him antibiotic before by just playing with him with some of his favourite off limit fragile objects.

This time though he will simply not take it. We end up having to wrestle him down, hold his hands and head and pour it little by little with the syringe until it's all done. I could deal with this, but he constantly spits it and we have to put it back in with a spoon where he respits it ad nauseam. In the end we have pretty much no idea how much he really took in.

So far we tried putting the antibiotic in some food he likes like yogourt and he just won't take more than 1 bite. The biggest success we had was having him taste pure sugar with his finger and then dipping the tip of the syringe in sugar. He took 3 ml this way, the other 3 had to be forced in.

I'm really out of ideas

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

AA is for Quitters posted:

So, am I a horrible mother for simply being accustomed to my 6 month old's acid reflux? My husband spent the past 2 months mostly out of town and he swears the reflux was not this bad before. To me, it's the same, and the kid is gaining weight. His Zantac probably can get upped now that he's got some chunk, but he's not really uncomfortable unless you lay him flat right after eating. So long as he's gaining and not in pain, I shouldn't worry, right? Cause he's freaking out.

Our boy had reflux issues for months. He was gaining and didn't seem too uncomfortable usually. It went away fine.

I'm a nervous dad, so I understand the freaking out. I felt a lot better once the pediatrician explained it to me.

Rurutia posted:

These guidelines have been in place by the AAAAI for a few years now. (http://www.aaaai.org/practice-resources/Statements-and-Practice-Parameters/Practice-parameters-and-other-guidelines-page) It's generally accepted that early exposure to allergens decrease the chances for allergies in medical science. There was even a study which used increasing doses of miniscule amounts of peanut protein in order to increase tolerance.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

There has been a huge upswing in peanut allergies since the recommendation not to give kids peanuts early some years ago.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Well this coming from NIAID adds a certain credibility, and the CBS story on this topic mentions a CDC study showing a three-fold increase in peanut allergy from 1997 to 2010, so I would probably consider that a huge upswing even if the absolute percentages of affliction only went from .4% to 1.4%.

Certainly made me think about doing this in a few months when my little one hits 6 months. The LEAP study maintains that this early introduction could reduce peanut allergy development by 70% which sound pretty spectacular to me.

Hm. Well then. I'm usually pretty skeptical of new studies because of years of hearing studies flipping on whatever it was (coffee, red meat, etc) after a period. We'll introduce some small amount of peanut into his diet. He's 10 months so it should still be OK.

I admit I get weird about some stuff but I'd rather it not hinder my son's growth so I appreciate the heads up.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KingColliwog posted:

My 15 months old son may have pneumonia and we have to give him 6ml of antibiotic twice a day. It' his third round of antibiotic (he had a few ear infections). We never had problem giving him antibiotic before by just playing with him with some of his favourite off limit fragile objects.

This time though he will simply not take it. We end up having to wrestle him down, hold his hands and head and pour it little by little with the syringe until it's all done. I could deal with this, but he constantly spits it and we have to put it back in with a spoon where he respits it ad nauseam. In the end we have pretty much no idea how much he really took in.

So far we tried putting the antibiotic in some food he likes like yogourt and he just won't take more than 1 bite. The biggest success we had was having him taste pure sugar with his finger and then dipping the tip of the syringe in sugar. He took 3 ml this way, the other 3 had to be forced in.

I'm really out of ideas

Is it a different antibiotic that has flavor issues? Nora did this around the same age with some really nasty antibiotics (and, like yours, she had been doing fine with medicines for the most part). We fixed it by getting the pharmacist to add in flavors AND "anti-bitter" measures (not just the flavorings).

We also mixed it further into juice and let her drink it out of a straw which she found really fun. Just enough juice to kind of cover the medicine and get it mixed in and all of a sudden she was taking it like a champ.

Also it was a three times a day medicine for 10 days so when we would wake her in the middle of the night to take it she would do it no problem in her half asleep state.

All things you can try!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Is it a different antibiotic that has flavor issues? Nora did this around the same age with some really nasty antibiotics (and, like yours, she had been doing fine with medicines for the most part). We fixed it by getting the pharmacist to add in flavors AND "anti-bitter" measures (not just the flavorings).

We also mixed it further into juice and let her drink it out of a straw which she found really fun. Just enough juice to kind of cover the medicine and get it mixed in and all of a sudden she was taking it like a champ.

Also it was a three times a day medicine for 10 days so when we would wake her in the middle of the night to take it she would do it no problem in her half asleep state.

All things you can try!

Yeah I was going to post the same. Taste it, if it's gross mix it until it's not. Don't let them see you do it, because kids are smarter than you think and are now associating the dropper with bad tastes.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

BonoMan posted:

Yes. My wife predicted our 15 month old would not care for the "raw" taste and for the three different antibiotics we've used this winter, flavored with grape. I think the pharmacist charged an extra two bucks or so.

He almost eagerly took them all via mouth syringe.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

KingColliwog posted:

I'm really out of ideas

My 1 year old hates all medicine, even the sugary tylenol that I thought babies loved. It takes two people and we have to hold him down but if you hook his cheek and shoot it into there, and continue holding his cheek/lips until he swallows, he can't spit it out. Not fun but it works.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Thanks for all the answers

Hi_Bears posted:

My 1 year old hates all medicine, even the sugary tylenol that I thought babies loved. It takes two people and we have to hold him down but if you hook his cheek and shoot it into there, and continue holding his cheek/lips until he swallows, he can't spit it out. Not fun but it works.

Hope we can find something less harsh, but if we still ahve to hold him down tonight I'll try the hook the cheek thing. God I hate that part of being a parent. The faces he makes :(

It's the same antibiotic he happily took last time. It's flavoured with some sort of terrible berry flavour. We'll try further dilluting it with something. We thought chocolate milk would work well but he didn't want to take unadultered chocolate milk.

I'll try mixing it with something until it doesn't taste like medecine at all and start his meal with that to make sure he goes through the whole thing. He's never had juice so we might try that if nothing else works.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

KingColliwog posted:

I'm really out of ideas

Straight chocolate syrup is the best for nasty tasting antibiotics because it overloads the taste buds. We've also had luck with M&M bribery.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
We tried the chocolate syrup thing and he ate all of it, but it took a lot of work. I'm not sure we'll be able to do this for ten days. Might do it every other day.He's not into sweet stuff (he didn't enjoy cake the 2 times he had access to it) so it doesn't surprise me that he isn't just gobbling it up.

He never eats anything sweet and pretty much nothing that isn't solid except water milk and yogurt that's it's hard to find something to sneak it into. We will probably try the hooking the cheek thing out plugging his nose tomorrow morning
I'll tell you guys how it goes

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Hi_Bears posted:

My kids needed daily medicine for years and this is pretty much how the hospital and their paediatricians told us to do.

Have one parent sit and secure the baby on their lap with one hand on their forehead and the other around the front/belly while the other gets in front, opens the baby's mouth and moves the syringe to the back of the left or right side of his mouth where his molars should be and drop the medicine there in the inner wall at the back and away from his tongue. It's not the nicest way to do it but it's extremely quick and they're avoiding most of the taste of the medicine.

There's less chance of them spitting it out and sitting like that also gets them use to doctors checking mouths and ears etc and other invasive procedures later on.

I've never gotten it to work but if your baby sucks on stuff I've seen friends also put the syringe in the middle of the mouth and while they're sucking on the syringe, squirt the medicine to the back of the throat.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ugh my aching goon body. Went to this kids playground place last night with all kinds of attractions and stuff for kids to do. Place was mostly empty, suppose because we where there 1pm on a monday. Lots of running and climbing and going down slides with the kids, even running and throwing them. Think I played as much as the kids.

Also tasted a slushee for the first time ever. Too sweet, but I think I could make my own home version with berries and alcohol and turn it into a dad drink.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Too sweet, but I think I could make my own home version with berries and alcohol and turn it into a dad drink.

I think :911: beat us too it, and called them Daquaries

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ugh my aching goon body. Went to this kids playground place last night with all kinds of attractions and stuff for kids to do. Place was mostly empty, suppose because we where there 1pm on a monday. Lots of running and climbing and going down slides with the kids, even running and throwing them. Think I played as much as the kids.

Also tasted a slushee for the first time ever. Too sweet, but I think I could make my own home version with berries and alcohol and turn it into a dad drink.

That's called a daiquiri

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Huh yeah I forgot about those. Think I've had one in my whole life, like 15 years ago.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

BonoMan posted:

That's called a daiquiri

Technically, a daiquiri is white rum, fresh lime juice, and simple syrup, shaken, not frozen. "Frozen daiquiri" refers to the sugar bomb alcoholic slushies.

A "true" daiquiri is one of the old school drinks of yore. Great to make a whole pitcher on a hot day.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

BonoMan posted:

That's called a daiquiri

New thread title

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's not just dadquiries, you can also make whiskey sour slushies and wine slushies. Can't wait for summer.

http://dish.allrecipes.com/boozy-slushes-in-ice-cream-machine/

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

I'm in a position to decide if I want my 1 year old to go to a daycare or not. I can keep my part time job and pay the entire amount to send her, or stay home with her and personally earn nothing (fortunately have a partner who is down with paying the bills).

I thought I had decided to send her, and filled out all the paperwork, but when it came time to take the paperwork in and pay a downpayment, I couldn't do it.

I guess emotionally I'm not ready, but I want to know if a daycare would be good for her. The one I'm looking at is a facility, not in home, and is structured and they do fun stuff throughout the day.

Would she get more benefit from that than if I stayed home with her and she ran around with me during the day? I'm not the most active person but I go somewhere with her at least once a day. She doesn't play with other kids regularly though. If I stay home I'd start enrolling her in classes like Gymboree and swimming / library stuff.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I think most study show that daycare gives benefits. I strongly believe that being around other kids and other adults is quite beneficial. Would you be able to send her only a few days and keep her for part of the week? That would be the dream scenario for most parents I think.

Personaly, I think he learns a lot by going there and he certainly does more than he could ever do with me at home. Also he gets all the diseases now so he doesn't have to get all of them when he starts school

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 12, 2017

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I think daycare has a lot of benefits. My son learns a ton and has best kid friends there and they do way more than I ever would with him if it was up to me for his sole source of learning and entertainment.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I opted to keep my kids out of preschool/daycare as long as possible for multiple reasons. No judgment here, I'm just sharing my story.

My gut instinct was that my babies are only babies once. As we started having kids I made sure I was taking them out all the damned time on playdates and to parks and to expose them to all the germs and basically soak up as much of their childhood as we could. I figured they would be spending 14 years in school (tk-12 here in the US) so why rush into it? If you have the means, I would recommend soaking in these days. If you don't need to work and you have the ability to spend this time with your child, enjoy it. If you need a break, consider part-time care. But you only get this time once. Try to consider why you hesitated, it sounds like you can provide her with some awesome adventures. And preschool will be there when you are ready to go back to work. Its not going anywhere.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Yeah, we're sending our guy back next week. 2 weeks into being a stay at home dad and he's got cabin fever and our 6 month old must really be teething, cause at least once a day he will go off . Just completely inconsolable for like 20 minutes straight. None of the usual tricks fix it. He'll go from full on screaming to whimpering, but it won't stop until he like magically hits a reset switch and will go back to laughing and being an otherwise happy baby. So really, we'd just like to shove the screaming fits on someone else a few days a week. If only we could find something really part time in his field. (Construction. He'd be happy doing day labor, but that's hard to come by in this town)

dpspolice
Oct 25, 2007
We do daycare three days a week and she's home with me the other two. I am so lucky to be able to only work part time, and I know she really loves daycare. I can definitely see a difference between my daughter and her cousin who is about the same age but isn't in daycare. People can understand my two year old when she talks, and she loves socializing.

Once you get past being sick pretty much the entire first year they're in, it's all smooth sailing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We've done daycare since she was 7 weeks old because we had to. American maternity/paternity leave is a joke and we couldn't afford to do more than that as a household.

I hated it when she was a baby at first, but she so quickly came to love and trust so many other people that I was happy we did it. Now we're in a catholic day care and it's fantastic (neither of us are religious ... we just heard it was a great daycare). On top of the usual immunity boosts, she's just learning a lot. I mean it's a daycare but they're always teaching them something (colors/numbers/names/family unit stuff) so she always comes home with something new to tell us. They're great with discipline and every time I drop her off she's happy to leave me and go play with all of her friends. I feel like the social aspect of it has been worth it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah we started daycare at around age 1 too, don't want the kids to become too afraid of people basically. Some tough initial weeks but that was a long time ago. My SO's sisters kid is 2 and started day care, they live very rurally even compared to us (literal dairy farmers) and the kid has had issues adjusting to daycare and being without familiar people, nightmares and hiding from others in day care and so forth.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Mine does daycare twice a week even now that my wife is recovered from surgery. Gives her a chance to recharge and him a chance to socialize and learn away from us. He is almost two now, and we are looking into a farm based preschool that is run in the area as a next step thing.

Also he has been peeing on the toilet and going "woohoo" when he does, its adorable. We are sort of transitioning gradually into the potty training thing and he loves throwing toilet paper into the toilet and flushing it so its made things super easy so far to just let him do that if he goes or sits long enough. We are currently doing twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.

I need to ask if his daycare would be fine with giving him a mid day sit too since thats next but that will probably be a while from now, we are trying not to rush it so much as build positive associations with being on and going in the toilet.

Also he has started copying his mom and walking around sighing and saying "oh man'

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Having some sort of regular socialization with a bunch of kids is important. Maybe there's a preschool co-op you guys can go to? Usually the parents stick around while all the kids play, and it's not so expensive. One is a decent age for them to start figuring out how to be around other small people in a social way. Bonus points if they can see older kids too, because they love to learn from that modelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Squid posted:

I'm in a position to decide if I want my 1 year old to go to a daycare or not. I can keep my part time job and pay the entire amount to send her, or stay home with her and personally earn nothing (fortunately have a partner who is down with paying the bills).

I thought I had decided to send her, and filled out all the paperwork, but when it came time to take the paperwork in and pay a downpayment, I couldn't do it.

I guess emotionally I'm not ready, but I want to know if a daycare would be good for her. The one I'm looking at is a facility, not in home, and is structured and they do fun stuff throughout the day.

Would she get more benefit from that than if I stayed home with her and she ran around with me during the day? I'm not the most active person but I go somewhere with her at least once a day. She doesn't play with other kids regularly though. If I stay home I'd start enrolling her in classes like Gymboree and swimming / library stuff.

Is all of your pay cheque going towards day care or would you be able to save a bit too? I think that would weigh in on my decision.

My in laws were good enough to look after my daughters while I worked. Full time with the first and part-time with the second, and so both girls have never been in daycare. I can't say that I regret it. My eldest just finished preschool and she did great. She didn't like going, but once she was there she had a great time and made great friends.

If day care is anything like preschool, which I have heard that it is, I would agree that it is great for the kids. I don't think they're missing out on being kids or playing. However, I feel a bit like VorpalBunny in that kids will be in school for many many years. This is your one chance to be with them full time, so I would treasure it. I think there are benefits to both options, so I would go with what feels right for you :)