Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

git --out-of-retail luigi-thirty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

vodkat posted:

And what else is there?

IE? said nobody ever

Chrome? gently caress google erryday

Firefox? just lol

Considering how poo poo everything else on windows is Opera is p decent in comparison.

opera 15 and later are lovely forks of chrome

they fired the entire opera dev team, so any features you miss from opera 12 are not gonna show up unless google decides to add them

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c c# s: parallel.foreach is my favorite fuckin thing

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

is it bad that my current scheme for handling database lock errors is basically

wrapper(query)
try
{
query.execute
}
catch
{
wrapper(query)
}

n just hoping the database issue resolves itself before the stack overflows

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody posted:

wrapper(query)
try
{
query.execute
}
catch
{
wrapper(query)
}

if the program failing doesn't cost a company a large amount of money its fine i'd say

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rotor posted:

if you use git i have no idea why you wouldn't use gitlab or hub or whatever

gitlab and github are different things for solving the same problem

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

opera 15 and later are lovely forks of chrome

they fired the entire opera dev team, so any features you miss from opera 12 are not gonna show up unless google decides to add them

yeah :(

firefox is pretty okay imo, same for IE it has been doing better recently

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bloody posted:

c c# s: parallel.foreach is my favorite fuckin thing

C# is cool and good.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Bloody posted:

wrapper(query)
try
{
query.execute
}
catch
{
wrapper(query)
}

I'm guessing a backoff mechanism would usually be nice for this stuff, and/or giving up after a while if possible.

The actual issue there is probably that there's no clearly defined semantics of what happens when the DB is truly unavailable and that requests would fail.

So what's the path to recovery or telling the user something failed? Is there any one? In the real world, "we just hope this doesn't fail" is poor planning. What if the front-end server dies while the DB is locked up? Is the query built in a way such that it can be retried even if it succeeded but the user didn't know about it because of ~issues~?

Those are fairly hard questions, but if you can manage to answer them, the rest of it kind of falls in place on its own. They're fixing the hardest problem for your software: what happens when nothing works, and what can a user do? Then you can, in the worst case, reuse that solution when something only works partially, or doesn't work very well. That gives you a lower bound on system awfulness from the user's perspective.

If you've taken or planned no measure for that, then yeah, you probably have no bound on how awful the experience will be for a user when things go bad, and most of the stuff around other failure cases will just delay the inevitable.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Careful Drums posted:

gitlab and github are different things for solving the same problem

from a user perspective I don't see a significant difference between the two. one uses branches one uses clones repos, that's about the extent of the difference as far as I could tell.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

triple sulk posted:

C# is cool and good.

it's true

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

wrapper(query)
try
{
query.execute
}
catch
{
wrapper(query)
}

how do you have so many locking problems

are you on mysql or something

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
iirc hes using SQLite but somehow loving up locks which seems like the weirdest thing.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sqlite and those old issues are gone now this is somewhat unrelated

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im not even getting "a lot" of locking issues, just a few ever. im doing a bunch of poo poo in parallel and the db isn't the bottleneck but i can occasionally time out while inserting a bunch of crap so this way it just retries until it succeeds instead of failing miserably

actual reliability isnt all that important

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotor posted:

from a user perspective I don't see a significant difference between the two. one uses branches one uses clones repos, that's about the extent of the difference as far as I could tell.

the goal of gitlab is to be a feature-equal almost-clone of github, and then they add some additional abilities, like you can have pre-push hooks on your repos

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

oh man I just remembered how much I hate having to configure hooks as a loving web service

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wait how did i get here

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Shaggar posted:

like there are legitimate reasons for hazing your junior staff like that. Working support while doing development on the software gets you experience and understanding with both sides of the product which is very valuable. who knows, they could just be smart people and you come out at the end of the year a better developer who understands your customer's needs.

had my phone interview, this was what they said. also i was able to answer all their C#, SQL Server, data structures questions, plus a Java question that I guessed at because I am a java nooblord

also they want to see me next week for an in-person interview, gently caress retail forever

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

no matter how bad things get, at least i will always be better than the people who use opera to browse the web

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
opera was cool back when it used to be the only browser available that could render mobile web pages

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BONGHITZ posted:

no matter how bad things get, at least i will always be better than the people who use opera to browse the web

:vd:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Luigi Thirty posted:

had my phone interview, this was what they said. also i was able to answer all their C#, SQL Server, data structures questions, plus a Java question that I guessed at because I am a java nooblord

also they want to see me next week for an in-person interview, gently caress retail forever

:toot:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Valeyard posted:

opera was cool back when it used to be the only browser available that could render mobile web pages

i proudly posted on the forums with Opera Mini on a Blackberry Curve 8320 all through high school

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

u can do it!! :)

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

nice, good luck

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I believe in you luigi30

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Bloody posted:

im not even getting "a lot" of locking issues, just a few ever. im doing a bunch of poo poo in parallel and the db isn't the bottleneck but i can occasionally time out while inserting a bunch of crap so this way it just retries until it succeeds instead of failing miserably

actual reliability isnt all that important

seriously, own up, what in gently caress are you doing with mutli writers to sqlite

i mean, heck, in python, you can't even use it with threads

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Luigi Thirty posted:

get a friend to run a practice interview

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

get a friend to run a practice interview

ok, first question: where is the $30 you owe me?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tef posted:

seriously, own up, what in gently caress are you doing with mutli writers to sqlite

i mean, heck, in python, you can't even use it with threads

Basking in the glory of this thread

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm maintaining some code that has a triple race condition. but it's not really a race condition, because it's not one process failing because it ran before something else could complete. it's failing because a single code path calls the same asynchronous process 3 times, and they frequently execute simultaneously. those asynchronous processes happen to be http posts, so they're extra asynchronous.

anyhow they all try to post the same thing with the same data and then they all partially succeed and then restart themselves and wow is it a mess. i added a mutex and that's making things better but that only solves the problem if the processes execute simultaneously. they also sometimes execute subsequently and the mutex does nothing for that. i could add a flag that says 'hey, you already did this, dont do it again' but i'm 90% sure that would gently caress with other logic in the system.

the real answer is to unfuck the codepaths, because there's no legitimate reason for this to be happening 3 times, but unfucking the codepath would definitely break a lot of other things

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if its not supposed to execute 3 times why wouldn't eliminating 2 requests fix it?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

if its not supposed to execute 3 times why wouldn't eliminating 2 requests fix it?

because the code is really really bad and other things are very likely to depend on the side effects of this process

i also cant assume things like 'hey, this object says it's already been posted to the remote services, so there's no need to submit it again' because i cant guarantee that there isn't something that relies on clearing attributes on the object and resubmitting it

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 17, 2014

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

because the code is really really bad and other things are very likely to depend on the side effects of this process

i also cant assume things like 'hey, this object says it's already been posted to the remote services, so there's no need to submit it again' because i cant guarantee that there isn't something that relies on clearing attributes on the object and resubmitting it

i'm sure that'd show up in the tests though

:goatsecx:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Stringent posted:

i'm sure that'd show up in the tests though

:goatsecx:

the ppl who programmed this before me set up the workers so that they dont run in staging. ever

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the ppl who programmed this before me set up the workers so that they dont run in staging. ever

can you give your postings some kind of unique identifier such that the remote service can ignore the postings it has already received

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

bobbilljim posted:

can you give your postings some kind of unique identifier such that the remote service can ignore the postings it has already received

no but i can get the data and then not post if it's already present

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rotor posted:

I don't understand why people use github in a world where gitlab exists

gitlab perf can be pretty variable, but it got much better in recent versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

eschaton posted:

gitlab perf can be pretty variable, but it got much better in recent versions.

it's almost as if there's no silver bullet because if there was everybody would be using it already

• Locked thread