Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Look Under The Rock posted:

I WANT TO BARF ALL OVER HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS BECAUSE THEY COST SO drat MUCH

-- a person who is probably switching to a music major this week, which is apparently the equivalent of taking a lifelong vow of poverty wooooooooo

I have a friend with a masters in music.

She works at a clothing store in the mall

e; that said do what makes you happy in life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Music education has some potential to get a job, at least.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
same with Rock Star

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I'm pretty sure if you want a job in music you first need to check the newspaper for a job as a subway musician (one should show up after a few days). Then work hard and keep going to work happy until you get promoted to piano tuner.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
LUTR is already an amazing musician and needs no piece of paper to prove it.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Also we have a new prime minister today. I'm sure you all care a lot, but there will be no more onion eating.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Is there no waiting period like there is here or does the new PM take effect immediately?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Our election is soon and I've decided who to vote for so yay.

God I hope the Conservatives don't win again.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

He has to get sworn in, which is happening today. Yeah, no real waiting period.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
There wasn't an election, our PM was ousted in a spill last night, and this morning he'll get sworn in.

Still the same conservative party though so i doubt it'll change much at all really.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
people are getting mad over it, because they think they voted a dude in and not the party in

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kumbamontu posted:

Is there no waiting period like there is here or does the new PM take effect immediately?

As soon as the Queen's representative in Australia gives his okay!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
A spill? Australian politics are confusing. Is that like if the Senate voted fora new president

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The main changes are that the PM should be less embarrassing now and a massive amount of schadenfreude. Expected future outcomes are that either the tories tear themselves apart because a sizable portion still hate the new guy, and the opposition may have to actually do something instead of trying to just waltz in come the next election. Some pessimism is there for the fact that a competent conservative will manage to hold power and continue the terrible policies, but it's not certain.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Kumbamontu posted:

A spill? Australian politics are confusing. Is that like if the Senate voted fora new president

It's as if opinion polls were so dire for Obama that the party thought their only chance of remaining in power is if Hillary was in power, so the Democratic party votes to replace Obama with Hillary.

Roughly.

Amoeba if you think Shorten would have walked in i'm not so sure, he's not exactly well liked either and dunno if he could win by default.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Everyone should follow the American system of the first primaries being almost a year before the next president even takes office and basically endless campaigning for the office.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kumbamontu posted:

we vote in parties and they elect a leader, we don't vote for a single president dude

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kumbamontu posted:

The PM is just whoever the majority of the House decides it has confidence in at any given moment. Once in a while, members of the majority party will decide they don't like their leader and ask for a vote on a new one - when that happens, that's called a spill. Today, 54 members of the 100 member majority caucus decided to turf Abbott, because they could.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would vote for Tanya

if I wasn't a greenie

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Kumbamontu posted:

See in america you vote for the president directly. In Aus, and other places with similar set ups, you only vote for the person running in your electorate, that'd be like your congressman maybe. The party that gets the most seats then decides who's going to be Prime Minister - it's basically the party leader. They can change this whenever they like basically since the everyone still keeps their seat in parliament they just put someone else up. All they have to do is a few things with the Queen's Rep. I guess it'd be like changing the leader of the house?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

busb posted:

It's as if opinion polls were so dire for Obama that the party thought their only chance of remaining in power is if Hillary was in power, so the Democratic party votes to replace Obama with Hillary.

heh

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

The PM is just whoever the majority of the House decides it has confidence in at any given moment. Once in a while, members of the majority party will decide they don't like their leader and ask for a vote on a new one - when that happens, that's called a spill. Today, 54 members of the 100 member majority caucus decided to turf Abbott, because they could.
you are almost correct

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Yesterday was glorious. It gives me great enjoyment to know that Abbott will spend the rest of his life in the knowledge that he couldn't even make it one term as a prime minister. It couldn't have happened to a more horrible human being.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

busb posted:

Amoeba if you think Shorten would have walked in i'm not so sure, he's not exactly well liked either and dunno if he could win by default.

He would have basically walked in, because Abbott was so hated. It'd have only gotten worse and worse. Bill was being as invisible as possible for the last 2 years because he would be hated as well if he were visible.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bowmore posted:

you are almost correct

"Almost"? :raise:

(Unless you mean that I left out the Nats, but I don't think Kumba needs to know about them.)

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

bowmore posted:

I would vote for Tanya

if I wasn't a greenie

Ditto.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

(Unless you mean that I left out the Nats, but I don't think Kumba needs to know about them.)

The Nats are pretending like maybe they wont do a deal with Turnbull, but everyone know's they'll roll over as soon as they've finished their tantrum.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Man, good thing we have preferential voting.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Yesterday was glorious. It gives me great enjoyment to know that Abbott will spend the rest of his life in the knowledge that he couldn't even make it one term as a prime minister. It couldn't have happened to a more horrible human being.

^

Pinterest Mom posted:

The nats had no bearing on the spill so you were right to leave them out. How do you know so much about our politics? You know more than most australians would

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's a similar set up to canada.

E: also pmom's hobby is politics

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I really like the parliamentary setup. Largely because of a multiparty system. The Democratic party would be about 5 different parties in a better political system, and we would be able to identify the more dangerous conservatives more easily based on if they were in an independence party.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

I really like the parliamentary setup.

I read this as paramilitary.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Would the plural of Prime Minister be Ministers Prime?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Primes Minister

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My matchup with TMM for fantasy this weekend is ending in the goofiest way possible: both of us needing the Philly/Atlanta game, him with the Eagles' defense, me with the Falcons' kicker.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Allen Wren posted:

My matchup with TMM for fantasy this weekend is ending in the goofiest way possible: both of us needing the Philly/Atlanta game, him with the Eagles' defense, me with the Falcons' kicker.

Except the Eagles are apparently crap and now I need them to score a TD or two in order to win, since your kicker already has 9 points.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Magnus Gallant posted:

To throw you a bone so you can have a good qb

Except I already have Drew Brees. Why would I need Carson Palmer? Or Joseph Randle?

Especially when you want to take away my best RB.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hello mafia thread. I was just reminded why facebook is so great because a guy I went to high school with (who 100% believes this is true) posted this:

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/former-satanist-i-performed-satanic-rituals-inside-abortion-clinics

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

My other league is alright tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

My other league is alright tho

Oh my god.