Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

I thought we were all playing reductio ad absurdum once people started telling me I don't think depression is real.

I can't speak for everyone but I was making fun of that dumbass post you made cuz I'm not a sociopath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

If you think rich people aren't real people with real problems just because they have money then I don't even know what to say to you. You're probably just either a literal child or someone with a severely warped and binary world view. So unless you're actually like 10 years old or something that's a pretty loving sad point of view to hold.

Yeah but that said Affleck is sad because he made another crappy Boston movie and his wife didn't think cheating was cool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

If you think rich people aren't real people with real problems just because they have money then I don't even know what to say to you. You're probably just either a literal child or someone with a severely warped and binary world view. So unless you're actually like 10 years old or something that's a pretty loving sad point of view to hold.

At no point did I ever say that rich people aren't real or that they don't have problems. All I said was that it's really weird to be concerned for a multi millionaire, and that's because someone with that much money has a better chance at solving pretty much any problem short of mortality itself than like 99% of the world's population. Is this like a weird concept to you? Is "I'm sure that people will be fine due to their immense wealth" some weird thing you've never heard someone say before?

site posted:

I can't speak for everyone but I was making fun of that dumbass post you made cuz I'm not a sociopath

It might surprise you to learn that I too, am not a sociopath.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Lurdiak posted:

If you go back and read your own posts, you may be the one who is surprised!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

At no point did I ever say that rich people aren't real or that they don't have problems. All I said was that it's really weird to be concerned for a multi millionaire, and that's because someone with that much money has a better chance at solving pretty much any problem short of mortality itself than like 99% of the world's population.

No what you literally said is that if you have empathy for someone past a certain point of wealth it's a reflection of your own problems. Your exact words. And then you further expounded on that point by implying, if not outright stating, that rich people's problems with depression aren't real problems. Maybe you're just a dummy and didn't mean to type that, but it's what you typed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The fact that Donald Trump is President and Warner Brothers thinks that, of all the DC properties, Shazaam needs to be a two-part movie are legitimately the most surprising things in my life up to this point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

pee out my butt posted:

If you go back and read your own posts, you may be the one who is surprised!

It's unkind to suggest other people have serious personality disorders that render them incapable of empathizing with other humans just because you don't like the things they say about Ben Affleck.

X-O posted:

No what you literally said is that if you have empathy for someone past a certain point of wealth it's a reflection of your own problems. Your exact words. And then you further expounded on that point by implying, if not outright stating, that rich people's problems with depression aren't real problems. Maybe you're just a dummy and didn't mean to type that, but it's what you typed.

All right, I guess I made my intended point pretty poorly in my original posts then. I still think it's a little rude to call me a sociopath.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

Lurdiak posted:

Once you're past a certain level of wealth if people feel sympathy for you it's a reflection of their own issues.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, and those people don't spend their time hoping a millionaire celebrity can pull through because they're busy having empathy for people with real problems.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nah I think I was on to something there

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

All right, I guess I made my intended point pretty poorly in my original posts then. I still think it's a little rude to call me a sociopath.

I'm going to need to see your tax returns before I can empathize with your plea here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jesus Christ, you people.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The fact that Donald Trump is President and Warner Brothers thinks that, of all the DC properties, Shazaam needs to be a two-part movie are legitimately the most surprising things in my life up to this point.

When did it become a two-parter?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I doubt anyone really thinks you're a sociopath or anything. I just think you said something really stupid and people are busting your balls for it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lurdiak posted:

Is "I'm sure that people will be fine due to their immense wealth" some weird thing you've never heard someone say before?

I've heard people say this before many a times, and I bring up the same argument to go to bat for people who, despite being wealthy, could be very well likely be going through some heavy poo poo you are unaware of. It's more weird to me that someone would immediately hand waive someone's personal issues because they have money. It clearly shows a lack of empathy, and is more telling of that person's character, perceiving money as the solution to everything.

Lurdiak posted:

Jesus Christ, you people.

Imo, you should look in the mirror and rephrase this to, "Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with me?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

I doubt anyone really thinks you're a sociopath or anything. I just think you said something really stupid and people are busting your balls for it.

I'd be more willing to believe that if people weren't constantly being shits to me on here. Busting one's balls implies that you sort of like the person.

teagone posted:

Imo, you should rephrase this to, "Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with me?"

See? This is genuine contempt for who I am as a person from an rear end in a top hat, not just "Lol that was dumb dude, tweeting that poo poo"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I'd be more willing to believe that if people weren't constantly being shits to me on here. Busting one's balls implies that you sort of like the person.

I do like you. I also never called you a sociopath, so point taken. The other people might actually think that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

I do like you. I also never called you a sociopath, so point taken. The other people might actually think that.

I'm sure they do.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

See? This is genuine contempt for who I am as a person from an rear end in a top hat, not just "Lol that was dumb dude, tweeting that poo poo"

You just called me an rear end in a top hat, but I don't care, because I know you're an apathetic robot or a 10 year old manchild who is acting like you're a victim for saying something stupid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

teagone posted:

You just called me an rear end in a top hat, but I don't care, because I know you're an apathetic robot or a 10 year old manchild who is acting like you're a victim for saying something stupid.

Oh I thought you were an rear end in a top hat well before this, to be clear. This is just the usual for you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OK, I think everyone has had their say now. Lurdiak said something dumb, admitted as much and it's time to move on.

Are we taking bets on when Zack Snyder's Justice League vs Watchmen: Rebirth is going to be announced to start the DCEU over from scratch?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Oh I thought you were an rear end in a top hat well before this, to be clear. This is just the usual for you.

I'm an rear end in a top hat because I'm a human being with empathy. Got it. I'll agree with you on that one.

X-O posted:

Are we taking bets on when Zack Snyder's Justice League vs Watchmen: Rebirth is going to be announced to start the DCEU over from scratch?

The Underworld and Resident Evil series made it to 5 to 6 films, respectively. I give Snyder's DCEU at least that many movies. The wheels are going to fall off after Justice League, from there, who knows how long WB will grind it out. I'm betting the Shazam two parter with the Rock is going to fall through, and The Flash will never find its director.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

Normally I'd say that the cinematic universe will just keep shifting gears in an attempt to find its footing or maybe peter out instead of a line-wide reboot, but this is DC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure they do.

We're still bros, bro.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mycot posted:

When did it become a two-parter?

Black Adam is getting a solo movie, which sort of counts, I guess

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

teagone posted:

I'm an rear end in a top hat because I'm a human being

There's a strong correlation.

Rhyno posted:

We're still bros, bro.

I know you're cool, dude.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

There's a strong correlation.

I already said I agreed!

purple death ray posted:

Black Adam is getting a solo movie, which sort of counts, I guess

I wonder what The Rock thinks of Ben Affleck stepping down as the director of the solo Batman film. Probably nothing of it, right? Because he's The Rock? And maybe because he knows Armie Hammer is potentially going to replace Ben Affleck as Batman after Justice League?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think it all depends on Wonder Woman right now. Which sucks because it already had so many eyes and expectations on it for being the first major modern female superhero movie and for being the first Wonder Woman movie. Now it has even more weighing on it. To the point where being a simply pretty good film won't even be enough. Now it pretty much has to be a clear hit in every respect or the future of the DCEU is in serious condition.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

I wonder what The Rock thinks of Ben Affleck stepping down as the director of the solo Batman film. Probably nothing of it, right? Because he's The Rock? And maybe because he knows Armie Hammer is potentially going to replace Ben Affleck as Batman after Justice League?

The only person Armie Hammer is qualified to replace is the fry cook at Steak & Shake.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

[edit] ^He's alright. I liked him in The Social Network and The Man from UNCLE.

I will be so loving happy if Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot knock it out of the park and Wonder Woman ends up being really good. But with all the turmoil surrounding the DCEU and WB's handle on its talent coming to light, my hopes for it being a critical and commercial darling are fading fast. My expectations have definitely been lowered.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I have nothing against Gal Gadot but my expectations for Wonder Woman have been so low they're right next to dinosaur bones ever since they took the talking tiger out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Armie Hammer is actually pretty cool. Try watching J. Edgar or Birth of a Nation or Man From UNCLE or Nocturnal Animals. Skip Lone Ranger, not because of Armie Hammer though because once again it's a lovely Johnny Depp film.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Armie Hammer is actually pretty cool. Try watching J. Edgar or Birth of a Nation or Man From UNCLE or Nocturnal Animals. Skip Lone Ranger, not because of Armie Hammer though because once again it's a lovely Johnny Depp film.

Johnny Depp put me off a lot when I went to see it. Not necessarily because of the portrayal of Native Americans (though there are issues aplenty there, of course) so much as that's around the time I started to find the relentless "quirkiness" of his roles tedious.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

I think it all depends on Wonder Woman right now. Which sucks because it already had so many eyes and expectations on it for being the first major modern female superhero movie and for being the first Wonder Woman movie. Now it has even more weighing on it. To the point where being a simply pretty good film won't even be enough. Now it pretty much has to be a clear hit in every respect or the future of the DCEU is in serious condition.

Don't worry, the slay queen could still save the future of female superhero movies. :suicide:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Are we talking about The Lone Ranger?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

teagone posted:

I already said I agreed!

The Rock's been in some bad movies i dont think its gonna sway him much

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

The Rock's been in some bad movies i dont think its gonna sway him much

Let's be honest, The Rock has mostly been in bad movies. But most are worth watching because hey at least The Rock is there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dude either does not care about the quality of the stuff he's in or has been extremely unlucky, but I wonder why more good directors don't try to get him in their movies considering how big of a draw and fun of an actor he is.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

Let's be honest, The Rock has mostly been in bad movies. But most are worth watching because hey at least The Rock is there.

Well i was trying to be nice about it, but lol yeah pretty much

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

X-O posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHysl3kYOB4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I base 99% of my opinion of Armie Hammer of having had to sit through the Lone Ranger in a theater so I am a tad biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I base 99% of my opinion of Armie Hammer of having had to sit through the Lone Ranger in a theater so I am a tad biased.

That's the Johnny Depp stench you were smelling. Depp has been dipping for over a decade at this point. I mean Black Mass is really the only thing I can think of that was good mostly on his back since maybe Finding Neverland. I can't think of another good movie he's been in since then.

• Locked thread