Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Id like a protected province in athel Loren and quests to curtail corruption around the world. Also a massive grudge against beastmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
settlements with a modified waagh/horde mechanic to reflect the wild hunt. one of your generals intermittently gets turned into a horde with big bonuses but you have to keep fighting or he disappears until next wild hunt time

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

brocretin posted:

Most people can't stand the arbitrary in-battle bonuses enemy units get on Hard+. The especially heinous ones are to Leadership, which completely breaks some factions' balance.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh

I was enjoying beastmen and dwarfs on Very Hard but that's because dwarfs have stupid high leadership and beastmen have stupid low leadership anyway, so the changes to leadership make no difference relatively speaking, isnt it

I was wondering why my Very Hard games with Empire I was always seeing my troops break before Greenskins even when technically winning the combats

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kaza42 posted:

One big problem is that Athel Loren is so safe. It's surrounded by what? Some Bretonnians, maybe Estalia and whatever Beastmen don't die off by turn 10? It doesn't have much chance to interact with the other factions at all, even if they had some incentive to attack the forest. I really like the idea of a hybrid horde/settled faction, but it's got some map-level problems to sort out

Welfs will have basically guaranteed diplomatic penalties with dwarf and greenskin tribes, both of whom can underway to you in quick succession.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Welfs will have basically guaranteed diplomatic penalties with dwarf and greenskin tribes, both of whom can underway to you in quick succession.

At least Athel Loren should be good ground to defend. I imagine Welfs would always be able to see through foilage, and be able to snipe while hidden.

Also, writing this out, I'm really going to hate fighting Wood Elves, even moreso than Marauder Horsemen stacks.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh

I was enjoying beastmen and dwarfs on Very Hard but that's because dwarfs have stupid high leadership and beastmen have stupid low leadership anyway, so the changes to leadership make no difference relatively speaking, isnt it

I was wondering why my Very Hard games with Empire I was always seeing my troops break before Greenskins even when technically winning the combats

Yup.

Dwarfs and VC don't see a difference. Greenskins and Beastmen just get a slightly harder normal ( although fighting Dwarfs gets a bit harder. ).

Empire and Chaos have the biggest issues with the jump.

The thing is though, you can eventually get everyone's leadership back up to Normal levels by just still playing, and it feels better in the end for me. Franz is untested and untrusted at this point, and his troops aren't going to be that willing to die for him. But once he/they get some leadership upgrades, they'll hold the line against pretty much everything but monsters.

Meanwhile in Normal it's really easy to go from near unbreakable in the beginning to totally unbreakable by level 10 or so. To the point your basic line swordsmen can fight stuff like giant spiders and never break. Worse for me is that on Normal, all enemies break pretty much instantly because the AI can't withstand multiple attacks on the same area, or monsters, so you'll quickly find their entire army routing before you've even killed 25% of it.

The army that suffers the most is Chaos, and they have their own problems to deal with.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Yeah, within 20-30 turns you can research a pair of barracks techs to have +7 morale on your infantry so it's not really a huge drawback..

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I don't really consider fighting an AI stack of 12+ skulkers super fun when they have +10 leadership. Those are the fights I end up corner camping since that leadership increase on top of what they're able to put out from their general and other factors is enough to make them overly devastating before they rout.

On the player side you can usually alleviate the penalty enough with focusing general aura or tech, but it's definitely overly drastic on some units both as a bonus to AI and a penalty to the player.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

At least Athel Loren should be good ground to defend. I imagine Welfs would always be able to see through foilage, and be able to snipe while hidden.

Also, writing this out, I'm really going to hate fighting Wood Elves, even moreso than Marauder Horsemen stacks.

Good news! Wood elves will have marauder horsemen with longbows, possibly with armor-piercing arrows, probably with the strider trait which makes them immune to terrain penalties. They will also almost certainly have a flying variant as well.

Also included:

- Dwarf-toughness monstrous infantry
- Troll-toughness monstrous infantry
- Giant-tier monster
- Slayers that don't suck
- Vanguard-deploying archers with stalk that will likely be able to shoot while remaining hidden
- VC tier regen via the Lore of Life
- And much, much more broken-rear end cheese. Prepare your anus.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What are the Elves and Beastmen's specific beef? Beastmen hate civilization, hence why they gently caress with humans all the time but the Wood Elves don't exactly go knocking down tree's and burning coal.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Sjonnar posted:

Good news! Wood elves will have marauder horsemen with longbows, possibly with armor-piercing arrows, probably with the strider trait which makes them immune to terrain penalties. They will also almost certainly have a flying variant as well.

Also included:

- Dwarf-toughness monstrous infantry
- Troll-toughness monstrous infantry
- Giant-tier monster
- Slayers that don't suck
- Vanguard-deploying archers with stalk that will likely be able to shoot while remaining hidden
- VC tier regen via the Lore of Life
- And much, much more broken-rear end cheese. Prepare your anus.

I actually think their lovely armor values are going to hurt the Wood Elves against everyone but VC and Chaos. Most wood elf units would cap out around 30 armor or so, which means that even goblin archers will tear them apart. Of course, it's going to depend on how exactly they're implemented, all of the above could just make them "like the other factions, but slightly worse at everything"

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

They also have exactly one unit of line infantry, Eternal Guard, and they are lightly armored and expensive.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Demiurge4 posted:

What are the Elves and Beastmen's specific beef? Beastmen hate civilization, hence why they gently caress with humans all the time but the Wood Elves don't exactly go knocking down tree's and burning coal.

Beastmen are one of the few races other than wood elves brave enough to gently caress around in Athel Loren and are generally kind of a pestilence the the areas the elves don't normally go. Also Athel Loren's denizens are kind of murderously hostile to the forces of chaos in general and Beastmen just happen to be the closest chaos force at any given time.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

They also have exactly one unit of line infantry, Eternal Guard, and they are lightly armored and expensive.

Assuming dryads, treefolk, and treemen get implemented the way I think they will (high armor to reflect their TT armor saves), you should be able to use dryads as your fighting line, anchored by treefolk and treemen. These will be nice, tough infantry to soak arrows while your archers use their superior range to wipe out theirs.

Guess we'll see in a few weeks though. I'm just hoping they won't be a horde race.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Ok, so Elves in Warhammer are aliens that really hate Chaos right? Like it's what they are designed to stop.

Beastmen are forest Chaos. aka Mortal Enemies.

e: Like the whole system of Athel Loren is to stop Chaos, not looters/loggers. Bretonnia as an entire culture is/was built up by an Elven goddess masquerading as the Lady of the Lake to provide a human buffer for Athel Loren to help protect it against Chaos. The Beastmen are an abomination of Chaos, and can wander around Athel Loren. They are not just a group the WElves hate, they are public enemy #1. They are the Greenskins to the WElves Dwarfs.

Wild Hunts aren't to preserve nature. They exist because WElves are inherently bestial and hunting human prey is fun.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 1, 2016

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Beastmen are even more Chaosy than Chaos because they were born into it rather than converting.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

peer posted:

Beastmen are even more Chaosy than Chaos because they were born into it rather than converting.

Fuckin' Bane the Beastman

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Are "Tomb Kings"(i think) kinda like Warhamz40k Necrons? I'm soooo desperate to play as Necrons again, i fell in love with them in the first Warhammer RTS. So if they are i hope they are on the agenda for this game too.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dongattack posted:

Are "Tomb Kings"(i think) kinda like Warhamz40k Necrons? I'm soooo desperate to play as Necrons again, i fell in love with them in the first Warhammer RTS. So if they are i hope they are on the agenda for this game too.

They're loving weird, but awesome. They arent naturally evil, nor are they "KILL THE LIVING!" undead. They have an actual society with laws etc.

They were also loving badass during the End Times event, which most factions cant say.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 1, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Uh, not really at all.

Their mortal enemy you likely won't be able to play is though!

Short version. Before Sigmar was a twinkle in some barbarian's eye, there existed fake Egypt. One of it's nobles decided he wanted to be a God, so he stole everyone's souls. The other nobles weren't down with this, allied with the Skaven, and killed him during his ritual.

Bummer for the Tomb Kings, they now exist as living people in immortal undead bodies.

They are considered an "Order" race alongside Empire/Dwarfs, though they don't get along with either. Their main goal in unlife is to make sure nobody steals their poo poo, and their ancient rear end in a top hat doesn't return to steal all their bodies. They have a society that's still going, feuds with the Vampire Counts for being allied to their ancient rear end in a top hat, and generally stick to themselves. They don't like Araby though, because Araby keeps loving with them ( Araby is basically Aladdin. ).

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Picked up Grombrindal from my local GW. I thought he was going to be a LL for a separate Dwarven faction but is just another Dwarves starting lord. Boring!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dongattack posted:

Not really.

Necrons have recently been retconned into 'Tomb Kings in SPAAAAAAAAAACE', but they're absolutely different than old Necrons were in Dawn of War.

Like, they're led by a dude who's basically mummy Doctor Doom. But they're basically just a society of people who happen to be dead more than the whole 'soulless machines' thing Necrons had.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tomb Kings are mummies and skeletons who got woken up all at the same time and are grumpy about it. That's pretty much it.

They mostly want their kids/ancestors to get off the drat lawn, there's too many skeletons. So they fight about that.

But then sometimes somebody comes plundering, and they get all riled up about dead people's property rights and fight over that too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Tomb Kings are cool because they're not evil undead and they aren't mindless so they're a fun twist on the normal undead depiction in fiction. And they loving hate Chaos a lot.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Aw, they sound interesting, but there is something so cathartic and pleasing about playing mindless unstoppable killing machines just killing without emotion or purpose. Just because something killable is in front of them and it's all they know.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Dongattack posted:

Aw, they sound interesting, but there is something so cathartic and pleasing about playing mindless unstoppable killing machines just killing without emotion or purpose. Just because something killable is in front of them and it's all they know.

You've got your VC and Chaos for that

Archonic
Oct 11, 2003

bury me with it
20% off Total War: Warhammer coupon from White Dwarf up for grabs (let me know when you take it!)

RCWVD-T8J60-AVKIF

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What is a good counter for minotaur hordes apart from a shitload of ranged units? Also, are trolls ever going to be useful outside of garrisons?

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Arglebargle III posted:

But then sometimes somebody comes plundering, and they get all riled up about dead people's property rights and fight over that too.

I may have mentioned it before, but the Tomb Kings army book mentions a centuries-long war that resulted from the Dwarves making a hammer that included a disk of bronze belonging to one Tomb King as ornamentation, and said King's army reclaiming it by force.

There's also Amanhotep the Intolerant, a king of Zandri, who was at one point mistakenly brought to Bretonnia by crusaders who thought they had retrieved the body of Duke Cheldric. When he awoke he slaughtered several villages as he slogged back to Zandri on foot. He later featured in Dreadfleet, piloting a flagship that shot solar lasers and was hauled by giant statues.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I got to turn 30 on my new Empire VH campaign. I took Middlenland and Maurieburg (Bretonnia invaded them and took out one of their stack. When I try to siege the capital they sallied with 2000+ troops but the timely arrival of mortars carried the day. Bretonnia took the city in the Wasteland though). The stats bonus the AI gets is pretty ridiculous when my charging swordsmen get routed by the cheapo spearmen, so I decided to focus on range units.

I tech up to outriders (I didn't use them much in my hard campaign, so I wanted to try them out. Hopefully I didn't screw myself over...) Stirland declared war on me and is invading Talabecland. Skarsnik is sieging Nuln, and Wissenland is willing to confederate.

Any advice on what to do now? I am worried if I confederate Wissenland I'll piss off everyone (most of the empire already hates me because well...VH). It'll probably also cause two rebellions and my one army led by Franz is stretched pretty thin. Do I need to build walls in most cities in VH? Helmgart already got razed to the ground once by random ork raid (skullsmasher I think).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toasterwarrior posted:

How do you guys compose and use your early game armies as the Crooked Moon? As in, right at the start. I've gone with a 4 Night Gobbo/4 Plain Gobbo frontline, 4 Goblin Archers, 6 Skulkers, and the giant spider.

The non-stealth gobbos move as a block to catch artillery fire while the Night Gobbos lurk right in front of the spears to charge and poison. Once they inevitably start to break, I shore up the frontline with the Gobbo spears. Meanwhile, the Skulkers move to flank and murder everything they can before leadership gives out. Skarsnik and the spider help where needed.

I think it's best I can work with considering my limited resources, but just like with ordinary Greenskins, fighting Dwarf armies usually ends up in extremely tight victories that don't get me much of an advantage on the strategic map. Also, my non-Skarsnik armies are going to be very gimped without the spider, so I figure I should raise some serious hell around my area before even thinking about expanding.

versus dwarves it's skulkers, spiders and squids.

versus humans it's night gobos archers and wolfs.

fighting humans tends to be stupid easy since you're so used to fighting colossal walls of steel and then suddendly your enemies are squishy?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pedro0930 posted:

Any advice on what to do now? I am worried if I confederate Wissenland I'll piss off everyone (most of the empire already hates me because well...VH). It'll probably also cause two rebellions and my one army led by Franz is stretched pretty thin. Do I need to build walls in most cities in VH? Helmgart already got razed to the ground once by random ork raid (skullsmasher I think).

Walls are pretty much mandatory to stop random raiding parties wiping out improvements - you will never get ahead if you're pouring money into rebuilding poo poo you've already built.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

pedro0930 posted:

I got to turn 30 on my new Empire VH campaign. I took Middlenland and Maurieburg (Bretonnia invaded them and took out one of their stack. When I try to siege the capital they sallied with 2000+ troops but the timely arrival of mortars carried the day. Bretonnia took the city in the Wasteland though). The stats bonus the AI gets is pretty ridiculous when my charging swordsmen get routed by the cheapo spearmen, so I decided to focus on range units.

I tech up to outriders (I didn't use them much in my hard campaign, so I wanted to try them out. Hopefully I didn't screw myself over...) Stirland declared war on me and is invading Talabecland. Skarsnik is sieging Nuln, and Wissenland is willing to confederate.

Empire guide:

Tier 1: First minor settlement gets a barracks, then every settlement after gets growth or income
Tier 2: Always get guard posts
Tier 3: upgrade guard posts to walls first before you build anything else

Usually an orc or a dwarf or some upstart elector count will attack your settlement before the walls are finished and sack it, and if that happens you lose all the money you spent trying to build something. I just pop an army in the settlement and wait for the walls to finish before I try building anything else or moving on. You'd be shocked at how many times some faction with a NAP declared war and sacked grunburg before the wall finished. Ugh.

As for the rest of it, once walls are up you're at such a defensive advantage you can send out doomed armies led by Franz to conquer anywhere and not be worried about homeland defense at all-- if a big army appears nearby get a new lord and start loading up swordsmen and crossbows, behind a wall they'll be able to repel forces substantially stronger than they are. I generally find that garrisons alone stop most stacks without even having to raise a defensive army, even on VH/Legendary (unless they bring a lot of artillery).

Think about it like this: Altdorf alone has such major defensive advantages that you're effectively not able to lose as Empire, barring some severely poor decisions like sallying forth from Altdorf or something. So long as you have Altdorf you're not going to lose.

Now that I'm thinking about it, all the non-horde factions punish you for not using walls. I really hope wood elfs have different mechanics. Maybe Athel Loren is their only settlement and it upgrades like a horde, but you get remote armies like Empire/VC etc. do? That'd be nice, or some sort of quasi-settlement where you build a big tree over settlements you raze that gives Athel Loren bonuses?

jokes fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 2, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, on VH I think walls are more than worth not having another building slot given all of the repair costs they save. I don't bother building them until I can go straight to level 2 walls though, since level 1 isn't going to win you any fights and the main purpose of level 2 is to delay until you can get a real stack there. It also helps to leave some territory you can easily get stacks to un-walled just so the AI will try to go toward it and fall for ambushes.

For routing units you want to be leveling your general's aura size and +leadership bonus for being in the aura. Early melee units are fine under those conditions.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pedro0930 posted:

Walls everywhere, you can survive without it but building them brings down tedious micromanagement of defense forces a lot as you don't need to actively scout and intercept all armies gunning for your settlements several turns in advance. It is also the best way to get city defense battles, which some people really appreciate.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Walls are also nice because the extra dudes supplement an emergency stack really well. I've been fiddling with never hiring RoRs and just panic buying them for defense too

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

RentACop posted:

Walls are also nice because the extra dudes supplement an emergency stack really well. I've been fiddling with never hiring RoRs and just panic buying them for defense too

ding.

Here's the hottest VH hint.

Hire a second Lord that just sits in town all the time. Whenever you see enemies roll in to attack your cities, have them hire 2-3 turns worth of units, which should get them to 10/15ish. That mixed with the garrison should stop all early game VH city sniping.

After the battle ends, you'll have one less enemy army to deal with, and you can disband all those troops. If any leveled up/could be useful in the future, keep them on. Keep the lord on so he gains exp.

It doesn't cost that much compared to losing the town/playing keep away, gets your second lord leveled quicker through town management ( so by the time you need a second army he's already level 3-4 ), and gives you more free reign with your main army. Sure you'll be going into the negative for a few turns while you try to support two armies without the income for two armies, but you should have enough reserves to deal with it, and it'll go back to normal after you disband the army.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dongattack posted:

They might not be mindless, but Chaos Dwarfs might fit your bill for high-tech murdermachines.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Triskelli posted:

They might not be mindless, but Chaos Dwarfs might fit your bill for high-tech murdermachines.

I'm curious how they would work in Total War. Don't they canonically only control one city? Would they work like Skarsnik where they can only produce Chaos dwarves in Zharr-Naggrund and hobgoblins everywhere else?

They'd need to be released alongside Ogres too just so they have someone else to interact with in that part of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've had this annoying bug ever since I started playing where often when I'll accept something in the campaign map it will immediately move the camera over to the bottom left corner of the map. Does anyone know what causes it or how to fix it?

• Locked thread