Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Hey you guys are needed in the Altcoin thread to argue about what is or is not a Ponzi scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Guinness posted:

The real estate industry has done a real good job of beating the idea of homeownership into the average American's head. Don't think too hard about whether it's actually a good idea or not in your circumstances, just do whatever you can to buy buy buy! Renting is throwing money away, get started building equity!

Not having to loving move all your poo poo every couple years is a hell of a drug too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hear people bitch about not being approved for mortgages almost everyday. If you've got 10k in credit card debt, only have the minimum 3% down payment in your savings (or your 401k that you insist on taking a loan from to buy the house), a car note of $400 a month, make 40k a year, and have a debt to income ratio of 70% then....no. No we're not going to give you a 500k mortgage. They may be able to find a place, but suggesting looking outside of their neighborhood is just unacceptable.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Just roll the credit cards and car loan into the mortgage.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

sleepy gary posted:

Just roll the credit cards and car loan into the mortgage.

Put wheels on the house so it counts as a vehicle, then try to get a lease arrangement with a balloon payment at the end.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

Hoodwinker posted:

I scrolled through all of that. Nobody cares.

Every time I'm scrolling past some lengthy argument in a thread, I wonder if anyone is actually reading any of it besides the two or three participants.

But I understand that it's preferable to make everyone else think you're an annoying pedantic tiresome blowhard than to allow one other person to think they're right when you know they're wrong about some completely irrelevant issue for which their incorrect beliefs will never have the slightest impact on your or anyone else's life.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I am a teacher at a school for rich Chinese kids. My coworker and I are sort-of-coteaching an IT class. It's my class, but I got stuck with two wildly different ability levels, the lower group isn't even supposed to be in there, and I have them off doing busywork. So now I've got this guy to take over. He's been working with them on the code.org stuff I had them doing. But he's talking about giving them his own project.

He's been dabbling in cryptocurrency. He wants to have them set up cryptocurrency wallets with some joke coin or something and have them do transfers and stuff.

Part of me is like "okay, well, that would require them to gain a grasp of a whole lot of computing concepts before they could make it work." The other part of me is like "are you insane?"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Yep let's keep talking about craptocurrency, that'll be entertaining

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

I am a teacher at a school for rich Chinese kids. My coworker and I are sort-of-coteaching an IT class. It's my class, but I got stuck with two wildly different ability levels, the lower group isn't even supposed to be in there, and I have them off doing busywork. So now I've got this guy to take over. He's been working with them on the code.org stuff I had them doing. But he's talking about giving them his own project.

He's been dabbling in cryptocurrency. He wants to have them set up cryptocurrency wallets with some joke coin or something and have them do transfers and stuff.

Part of me is like "okay, well, that would require them to gain a grasp of a whole lot of computing concepts before they could make it work." The other part of me is like "are you insane?"

The transfers and stuff like that work the same (time frames not included) as regular online banking, so it may give a bit of real world know how to them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yes, of course, to whatever degree that you direct your wife's activities and material conditions. The even more obvious example would be if you had one for a child.

I have a sizeable life insurance policy on my child because there is a history of rated illness in my family, and it’s a way to lock in reasonable premiums for her when she’s older.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Zo posted:

now, guess what insurance does?

So you did believe I was saying it is bad to have life insurance. Amazing.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The reason you can take out insurance where there is an insurable interest is that this mitigates the moral hazard (which is there regardless!). If the insurable interest doesn't exist, these incentives are twisted and can lead to undesirable outcomes.

So yeah, a life insurance policy on a spouse makes it more likely that some proportion of people will to some extent take more risks with that spouse's life. But the assumption from the legal system is that you are materially benefiting from your spouse's life, and mitigating the risk of you doing so gives you a legitimate reason to purchase that insurance that outweighs the moral hazard. This is the same reason that this doctrine generally does not frown upon key man life insurance, but insuring entry-level workers or outright strangers will raise more scrutiny.

You're a kinder person than I am, to actually spell it out.

Subjunctive posted:

I have a sizeable life insurance policy on my child because there is a history of rated illness in my family, and it’s a way to lock in reasonable premiums for her when she’s older.

That sounds like a pretty badass level of prudence and foresight in a lovely situation. Good luck to you and her.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Put wheels on the house so it counts as a vehicle, then try to get a lease arrangement with a balloon payment at the end.

I know this is a joke, but even reading it made me scream internally.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know this is a joke, but even reading it made me scream internally.

Then my work is done.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Propaniac posted:

Every time I'm scrolling past some lengthy argument in a thread, I wonder if anyone is actually reading any of it besides the two or three participants.

But I understand that it's preferable to make everyone else think you're an annoying pedantic tiresome blowhard than to allow one other person to think they're right when you know they're wrong about some completely irrelevant issue for which their incorrect beliefs will never have the slightest impact on your or anyone else's life.

Depends on the participants whether I read them but I also read technical manuals for fun sooo grain of salt. Regardless, those sick from-on-high burns really work best when the argument is current, not like a day later.

Got to visit the in-laws this past week. I know my FIL is pulling two gov pensions and they have savings, but that's it as far as I know and I don't know the state of their finances. They refuse to let us pay for anything when we visit them and constantly send their 3 adult offspring not small sums of money, meanwhile my MIL frets over $60/mo additional rent for their two cats and the additional water/electricity needed to service the pool in their rental (they sold their house and moved from upper midwest to FL when they retired). They're not old, 50s and 60s, and I live in perpetual terror they're going to live into their 90s eating dog food in some home that looks like the hospital from Jacob's Ladder.

My MIL asks me one morning if I would do secret shopping and I tell her only if they pay for the goods/service up front (not worth my time to report FMV of goods/services on top of SE taxes, no thanks). She insists that her friend does it and pays for things and that she always gets reimbursed and always reports the value of what she receives because she's a minister's wife (lol ok mom) and she even receives a bit of extra payment too. Well drat, I tell her, she's not even making minimum wage! But her friend likes it, MIL says. I'm like, yeah most people would go for some money over no money, which is why we established a minimum wage that must be paid so businesses can't take advantage of people like this. Again with the 'but she's decided it's worth her time and it's right for her situation' and I'm like "yeah, poverty" :master:

But for real this is a distraction from the real BWM which is my own mother, the one with $6k in her 401k at 55. She is insane and won't accept help with anything and every single day with her is like a white-knuckled roller coaster ride where you kind of wish the ride just breaks and you fall to your death. Families, man.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Selling my half of the house after 5 months

quote:

Quick back story: Moved in August 2017 to my older sisters home after her divorce. I put $15k down cash and pulled out $150k house loan and now I'm part title owner of home. However, sister has been difficult to live with. Have moved out. Fast forward to now. My credit score went from 760 to 660. My credit cards are over max limit. My money I've saved up is in the house with a house loan I took out. I would like to take my part out of the house and invest it elsewhere (Bitcoin seems to my my current option).

My questions are: how would I go about this? Getting what I put in plus give back my loan? Will selling my half of the home after just 5 months look bad? Advice please

Edit/: I'm investing in Bitcoin because my credit score is destroyed after moving. So while I wait for it to get better and reinvest in another home solely on my name only, I don't want my money to just sit there.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I want to slap this person for wasting this great hand he's been given. Also ask how a full time college student can work two restaurant jobs making 54K

Student, currently making 45k a year, no bills or debts. Very impulsive spender.

quote:

I am a 19 y/o college student, I currently attend a State college for free and live with my parents.

Am currently working two jobs. Both of these jobs combined makes me an average of 54k average. I've been working these past jobs for two years, moving on to my third. Both of these are restaurant jobs. About 50-60% of this income is in the form of cash tips at the end of the day. So it's basically undocumented. The other 50% I make about 20-23k from hour wages+%of tips. Both jobs pay $14 an hour.

All my bills are covered by my parents. From phone to internet. I do not own a car so I do not have to pay any insurance or have monthly car payments.

The money I earn I would spend most of it on very dumb minute things, like very expensive speakers that I do not use, or the 6 gaming keyboards that I have laying around covered in dust, or those $1,000 jackets just to be cool. My parents never asked me to pay any bills or anything, they never really bothered. Back when I started working when i was 17, I would buy a lot of things that I do not need, my parents would scold me for it, but they had given up at this point. I do not understand money like how adults do, i am a very big spender because I have no bills to pay at all, and I live with my parents. This type of spending is very bad, I understand that. I was thinking i would try to save at least 80% of the money i earn. Which is very unlikely to happen because of the nature of my spending. I keep track of how much i make, but not how much i am spending which is quiet ironic.

How could I stop this type of spending? I do not want to carry this type of bad habit into adult hood.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He (or she) recognizes he has a problem and is trying to start fixing it.

But drat that’s a lot of money at 19.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I would have been much much worse with that kind of money at 19, that's for drat sure. At least he's reaching out now to try and get better habits while he's young.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I thought the advice for young people who spend money freely was "get a job and learn the value of money.". This guy's already got two...

So yeah, just don't buy poo poo?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Wow, that kid is absolutely going to be fine. Good god how is he working full time and going to college at the same time??

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Full time school is often only 20-30 hours / week including study time. If you work weekends and evenings it’s definitely doable.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

KingSlime posted:

Wow, that kid is absolutely going to be fine. Good god how is he working full time and going to college at the same time??

If the people I encountered doing so are anything to go by, he is either a heavy (meth/dex/whatever) amphetamine user, or has a superior genetic trait that allows him to be fully rested after four hours of sleep, much like Margaret Thatcher.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Jordan7hm posted:

Full time school is often only 20-30 hours / week including study time.

Good lord where did you go to school? I went to technical college and a “light” semester was thirty hours of butt-in-chair (or lab), and that again in studying. The few people who tried to work part time on top of that either had terrible grades, dropped out, or took a couple extra semesters to finish.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Weatherman posted:

Yep let's keep talking about craptocurrency, that'll be entertaining

For sure. One of my friends is working a temp job and one of her coworkers sold everything, including his kids bikes, to buy bitcoin. Best dad in the world.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Edit: sorry! :ohdear:

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 17, 2017

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I was extremely lucky to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLUkgRAy_Vo

Just because I'm anticipating reports

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

FrozenVent posted:

Good lord where did you go to school? I went to technical college and a “light” semester was thirty hours of butt-in-chair (or lab), and that again in studying. The few people who tried to work part time on top of that either had terrible grades, dropped out, or took a couple extra semesters to finish.

Quick everyone post about how much you studied in school.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Motronic posted:

Selling my half of the house after 5 months

Wait, why does it matter what her credit score is for investing? Was she planning on taking out a loan for this?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"Live on the edge of financial ruin, and you too can funnel money up a pyramid scheme!"

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Lmao, my wife used to work for Enterprise and her customers would constantly try to recruit her for some MLM scheme, including that wrap one which had a convention here in Tampa. She had never even heard of MLM's before that.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

That 14% battery life sets me off worse than the content of the post.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My wife wanted to write a nonfiction book about MLMs and in order to do that took up two of my cousins's wives on thier pitches for Melaleuka. But my wife couldn't bear lying to everyone she knew so she have up after a month or two, much to my overly generous mother's relief. The other two had apparently been arguing over who got to pitch sales to my mom but since she is my mom they had to give my wife first dibs.

My mom was so happy to learn that not only did she not have to buy that poo poo anymore out of social obligation, but also that her daughter in law wasn't dumb enough to drink that kool-aid.

Unfortunately one of the cousins's wives successfully reeled in my at the time 90 year old great aunt who was struggling financially. I think it took almost a year for her to realize she would never make money on it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Hoodwinker posted:

That 14% battery life sets me off worse than the content of the post.

How did this "oh god the battery level :stonk:" meme start, anyway?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What is that about wraps? Like...vinyl on cars, or not-sandwiches?

Neither of these things seem like things you'd buy from just some guy, even if they are a family member.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

VideoTapir posted:

Neither of these things seem like things you'd buy from just some guy, even if they are a family member.

I think it is like beauty Saran wrap crap

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Yeah, some sort of plastic you wrap around your waist that "melts" the fat away.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Weatherman posted:

How did this "oh god the battery level :stonk:" meme start, anyway?

I think it's honestly kind of a knee jerk "oh god my phone is about to die" reaction that everyone has gotten ingrained in them.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrap_(clothing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

VideoTapir posted:

It's these guys.