Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Medal of Honor Underground is still one of my favorite shooters ever. Loved being a resistance fighter/OSS spy. They also lean into the absurdity, there's one mission called Dark Camelot where you infiltrate a nazi castle Wolfenstein-style (Wolfenstyle?) and fight dudes in suits of armor. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

COD4 is still a great game I think.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Xenomrph posted:

I’m almost done with the second expansion in Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Breakthrough.

It goes from being a really entertaining cinematic action experience to being an incredibly difficult slog

This is generally my experience with AA/Frontline/Airborne (never played the earlier ones). They always kind of run out of steam towards the end and hurl tons of hearty enemies at you. I still do replay Airborne every once in a while though because I dig how its levels and upgrades work.

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm curious to hear if Call of Duty holds up. I have really, really fond memories of Call of Duty being great, and played a good amount of the multiplayer.

I recently finished up my goal of playing every mainline campaign up to Vanguard, and CoD 1 is a mix. Some missions, mainly the American ones, hold up pretty well. The British SAS missions are still boring as ever. The Russian missions tend to start out okay but get really slow towards the end. There are exceptions, of course, but I definitely don't remember the game being so lifeless at certain points. I hate to be that guy, but United Offensive really does hold up well save for a few missions.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Overbite posted:

I tried going back to whatever the Medal of Honor is that’s on game pass but man those early 2000s ww2 shooters can be rough. And they are all stuffed with archival footage with a British dude talking over it.

I didn’t know there was a MoH on game pass, I’ve been playing them on GOG.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

This is generally my experience with AA/Frontline/Airborne (never played the earlier ones). They always kind of run out of steam towards the end and hurl tons of hearty enemies at you. I still do replay Airborne every once in a while though because I dig how its levels and upgrades work.

I recently finished up my goal of playing every mainline campaign up to Vanguard, and CoD 1 is a mix. Some missions, mainly the American ones, hold up pretty well. The British SAS missions are still boring as ever. The Russian missions tend to start out okay but get really slow towards the end. There are exceptions, of course, but I definitely don't remember the game being so lifeless at certain points. I hate to be that guy, but United Offensive really does hold up well save for a few missions.

I really liked Airborne but it’s been years since I played it.

I also really like the Michael Giacchino soundtracks to the older MoH games, he did a fantastic job.

https://youtu.be/9NoXcbXCNKM

https://youtu.be/J9ZVnmxs30A

https://youtu.be/dCc_51wSPtQ

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 22, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

COD4 is still a great game I think.

I think it kinda loses steam at the end but the first 80% is amazing

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Medal of Honor Underground is still one of my favorite shooters ever. Loved being a resistance fighter/OSS spy. They also lean into the absurdity, there's one mission called Dark Camelot where you infiltrate a nazi castle Wolfenstein-style (Wolfenstyle?) and fight dudes in suits of armor. It's great.

You were talking about the GBA version, right?

Edit: The original video I posted probably featured some bad emulation (the environments were warping and oozing all over the place). This one is a bit more... tolerable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNhjcnpLNa0

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 22, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That mission in MOH AA with all the snipers hiding in the town really pissed me off and all the walkthroughs I could find at the time were really vague about where they were hiding. Probably wouldn’t phase me much now as an adult who has played thousands of hours of FPS games since then, but I hated it at the time.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Xenomrph posted:

I’m almost done with the second expansion in Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Breakthrough.

It goes from being a really entertaining cinematic action experience to being an incredibly difficult slog where you’re always squeezed for ammo and RNG constantly gets you killed. Like I’m save-scumming like crazy; creep along, every time I get shot, hit F9 to reload, every time I kill an enemy, pause to make sure some other enemy isn’t going to hit me and then F5 to save.

For some baffling reason, Breakthrough doesn’t let you pick up guns from dead Nazis to replenish your ammo like you could in the base game and the other expansion Spearhead. I spent an entire half of a mission using my pistol to counter-snipe Nazis because I ran out of ammo for everything else.

It felt like I was playing the video game version of the movie Edge of Tomorrow, if I’d edited together the footage of me actually succeeding it would have looked like a flawless run where I snipe enemies as they spawn with preternatural skill, never get hit, and have an accuracy of 100% with every weapon.

Really looking forward to this being over so I can move in to OG Call of Duty 1.

Yeah my experience with Breakthrough was that it immediately goes to poo poo after the first Africa segment. AA and Spearhead both hold up well but I've never finished Breakthrough. The last time I tried I got stuck with an unwinnable save state where I didn't have enough ammo to kill the enemies the game was throwing at me and it wasn't dropping any more ammo for me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mierenneuker posted:

You were talking about the GBA version, right?

Edit: The original video I posted probably featured some bad emulation (the environments were warping and oozing all over the place). This one is a bit more... tolerable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNhjcnpLNa0

Nope, the PS1 version has a level where you have to assemble the “Panzerknacker” and it fights alongside you against Nazi automatons.

https://youtu.be/Kmwap2ozBq0

Casimir Radon posted:

That mission in MOH AA with all the snipers hiding in the town really pissed me off and all the walkthroughs I could find at the time were really vague about where they were hiding. Probably wouldn’t phase me much now as an adult who has played thousands of hours of FPS games since then, but I hated it at the time.
Speaking as someone who recently played that level, it’s pretty bullshit. The surround sound coming through my headphones was wonky so I never knew where shots were coming from, and the enemies having no muzzle flash didn’t help. I save-scummed the hell out of that level, easily my least favorite experience from replaying the base game.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah my experience with Breakthrough was that it immediately goes to poo poo after the first Africa segment. AA and Spearhead both hold up well but I've never finished Breakthrough. The last time I tried I got stuck with an unwinnable save state where I didn't have enough ammo to kill the enemies the game was throwing at me and it wasn't dropping any more ammo for me.
The game is pretty fun until the second Italy section (final third of the game), then the game rolls out the bullshit and nosedives.

Like I’m at the end of the game where you’re in an armored rail car with a turret and cannon, and that’s great for killing enemies, but despite being in an enclosed armored car you take full damage from enemy bullets. What the gently caress?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 22, 2022

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I still like CoD1 and United Offensive. I replayed them last year with some widescreen tweaks and still put them on top of the CoD single player experiences.

As for MoHAA, I love it but that sniper mission that can go to hell. It does help having more experience to make it less painful but it's a hitscan hell. I never enjoyed much of the expansions.

MoH Airborne was a mixed bag for me. I liked the first part of the game letting you drop wherever and tackle the objectives but the last part is godawful. I rather play MoH Pacific Assault and still wasn't great.

It's easy to see the quality of MoH games dropped after MoHAA as Infinity Ward left EA to make Call of Duty.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I haven't played Airborne in ages but I remember having a lot of fun with its upgrade system. Pacific assault is another one that I never finished; got stuck on same airport level I think? It's been a while.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

For Pacific Assault, grab the GOG release. Otherwise is kinda lovely to run (original release at least).

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Pacific Assault is weird. I like how everything's organized and the missions feel cool and distinct, but it controls like mud.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The Kins posted:

HROT has updated with the full second episode, and is now also on GOG, should that be the way you perfer to attain your legally licensed entertainment software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkp7rxMxSoU

hrot is really good

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's brown OP.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Xenomrph posted:

The game is pretty fun until the second Italy section (final third of the game), then the game rolls out the bullshit and nosedives.

It's been a long while since I last played MoHAA, but I remember having the exact opposite problem where I loved Breakthrough but couldn't get into Spearhead. I should go back and play them again.

Guillermus posted:

MoH Airborne was a mixed bag for me. I liked the first part of the game letting you drop wherever and tackle the objectives but the last part is godawful. I rather play MoH Pacific Assault and still wasn't great.

I loved Airborne, I didn't have as much issue with the last levels as other people I guess. But the freedom to drop in the early levels, loving loved dropping onto a roof and then popping in through a window to surprise some Nazis from behind. I remember mostly liking Pacific Assault, but I can never go back to it because I hated that level where you have to fly a plane so loving much. And worse, the controls were inverted and I spent so long trying to get past it that then when it throws you into the final level, I had to readjust myself to the actual controls. Just the worst.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Johnny Joestar posted:

hrot is really good

The penultimate level of ep 2 is great: a terrifying visit to granny's house where you can collect all her fine china

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

My biggest complaint about Airborne is entirely my fault in that the game becomes difficult towards the end because I become obsessive about upgrading every single weapon to maximum instead of just picking a few I like and sticking to them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Airborne has like two good levels and then they ran out of time to make the rest of the game

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I played Airborne for maybe 20 minutes after getting it in a Steam sale for cheap.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Time to reinstall.

https://twitter.com/DeusExHub/status/1539580548363993091

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
:hai:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yUvMuple5I

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My favorite game of all time. :swoon: Time for the yearly replay.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

it's not a permanent resident on your hd? mods??

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

Oh, I don't have to reinstall, though I might have to check for updates to old mods for however I shake up the next playthrough. Someone's gonna need that reminder, though...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

site posted:

It's been at least 5 years since last I tried to play it again before getting bored and uninstalling it. :unsmigghh:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Eurogamer (I think) compared playing Call of Duty 1 to going on a great old school roller coaster but with the lights on.

That's stuck with me

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

The Kins posted:

Oh, I don't have to reinstall, though I might have to check for updates to old mods for however I shake up the next playthrough. Someone's gonna need that reminder, though...

"It's the maintenance man. He knows I like orange!"

Surely there's some mod with a Gunther vs Maintenance Man showdown.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Guillermus posted:

It's been at least 5 years since last I tried to play it again before getting bored and uninstalling it. :unsmigghh:

ban this filth

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I know the commander, because he's my pal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Throw Deus Ex in the trash baby cause Blade Runner remaster just shadow dropped on steam and consoles

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://youtu.be/wVnK36z0QJQ

Yooooooooo

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

drat I really want a Captain Alex FPS game that plays like The Varginha Incident

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The last time I reinstalled it, I decided to try and see if I could bait Gunther into killing the robot on Liberty Island.

It takes him a couple minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW8zgMykWUI

site posted:

Every time you mention it someone will reinstall it. That's just how it is.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Barudak posted:

Throw Deus Ex in the trash baby cause Blade Runner remaster just shadow dropped on steam and consoles

I wonder if the people who bought the OG version on GOG get the remaster for free or if we’re SOL

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Valve Steam Deck posted:

The last time I reinstalled it, I decided to try and see if I could bait Gunther into killing the robot on Liberty Island.

And every one says Denton has superior Augs than Gunther. Ha.

Lets see Denton try and take three minutes of close up machine gun fire to the chest and live to talk about it. :colbert:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I wonder if the people who bought the OG version on GOG get the remaster for free or if we’re SOL

Wouldn't count on it, it's an entirely different company publishing it with their own seperate licensing deals etc. (OG is GOG using ScummVM, Remaster is Night Dive using their own stuff)

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Not going to happen. I already reinstated it a week ago.

OMG JC
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5gTsQbQD44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Xenomrph posted:

Did they ever do this with Quake?