Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

i am harry posted:

Thanksgiving is just as dangerous; think of how many Americans are desperate to give thanks all over their loved ones during this troubled time. It will mark the one year point as well, for those of us who have been reading these threads since it kicked off in China.

wild to think if the timeline is similar, maybe around march next year we're all making GBS threads bricks as cluster 5 starts raging. lol i remember the early reports of covid-19 in wuhan and the very first "uh oh it looks like they found a case they can't contact trace to anyone..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
for those of you who dont live in the US, what you're feeling is a lot like what Americans felt while watching the 1992 Dream Team

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

looking forward to explaining to my family in oklahoma they shouldn't do anything for thanksgiving, then not having to make the argument again a month later because someone will be sick

You think that'll be enough for them to convince themselves of that?

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

KaptainKrunk posted:

US gonna hit like 250k per day cases by the end of the month

that's hyperbole

if it continued growing at the same rate it has been the past few weeks, by the end of the month it will only be 200k cases per day

7-day average anyways. Unless you meant a few 250k+ days per week, in which case carry on

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

slippery doc posted:

that's hyperbole

if it continued growing at the same rate it has been the past few weeks, by the end of the month it will only be 200k cases per day

7-day average anyways. Unless you meant a few 250k+ days per week, in which case carry on

exponential growth doesn't work like that :getin:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
case counts are going to be limited by test infrastructure though--who knows what kinda peak we'll see in numbers. positivity rate is going to be more interesting to watch

kater
Nov 16, 2010

that graph is misleading, I bet the curve is very different if you make the axis exponential.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Look at this face

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

does anyone have a good pattern for covering up the exhaust valve on a respirator with a cloth... thing? im okay with needle and thread but i haven't sussed out how to rig it yet.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The mushroom leather from mylo/bolt threads is really sick, it looks feels and smells like real leather, has potential to actually scale to commercial volumes, captures carbon, etc. Biggest issue is it is still tanned like normal leather which isn't fantastic but otherwise it's really cool and super promising.

^^^ I use a rubber band or a zip tie and a little circle, I spent a lot of time trying to make an little apron and it was a huge pain in the rear end.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chard posted:

does anyone have a good pattern for covering up the exhaust valve on a respirator with a cloth... thing? im okay with needle and thread but i haven't sussed out how to rig it yet.

I tore up a cotton ball and stuffed about half of it in mine, but that defeated the cool flow feature. I'm going to try less, but otherwise :same:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

Look at this face

:swoon: awww

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Considered taking of the downward exit spout on the 6k series and wearing a surgical across, but I am honestly not sure that would be better than having the exhaust point downwards.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chard posted:

Gaiter with filter holes?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pingui posted:

Considered taking of the downward exit spout on the 6k series and wearing a surgical across, but I am honestly not sure that would be better than having the exhaust point downwards.

It's mostly theatre from what I can tell, cloth masks don't filter exhales really well, they just cause the air to change direction, which it does when it goes through an exhale valve anyway, especially with a spout

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

it never ends, this poo poo

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Chard posted:

have you tried a cone of leather, filled with herbs?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

shovelbum posted:

It's mostly theatre from what I can tell, cloth masks don't filter exhales really well, they just cause the air to change direction, which it does when it goes through an exhale valve anyway, especially with a spout

That is my thinking (well actually that it mostly stops droplets and slows down the finer particles) and I am not going to bother with security theater that does gently caress all. My plan to keep people around me safe, is to be as diligent as possible to not contract it in the first place. In which case exhaust be damned.

Still though I would do it if it was actually safer, just not sure it is and there is already enough actively harmful security theater to go around.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

Look at this face

perfect time to be on my large desktop monitor, or should I say purrrfect (sorry, had to be done)

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Iron Crowned posted:

Look at this face

I'm lookin right at it

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

3 weeks ago I was saying how alarming it was that we were going from 1,200 cases a day to 1,800 and 3.5% positivity.

Today we posted 5,700 (4,100 yesterday) and the second day in a row of 10.3% positivity.

We are hosed

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pingui posted:

That is my thinking (well actually that it mostly stops droplets and slows down the finer particles) and I am not going to bother with security theater that does gently caress all. My plan to keep people around me safe, is to be as diligent as possible to not contract it in the first place. In which case exhaust be damned.

Still though I would do it if it was actually safer, just not sure it is and there is already enough actively harmful security theater to go around.

You will be required to cover it in certain circumstances, so far all airlines, so have a plan

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
remember when we were looking at arizona and losing our poo poo over 10% positivity rate, and now multiple states are 10, 15, 20, even 30% positive and no one in power gives a drat at all

lmao, crack ping

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
how many states set up targets like "if positivity is >5% it triggers immediate rollback" and blew so far past those goalposts they forgot they existed

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

The mushroom leather from mylo/bolt threads is really sick, it looks feels and smells like real leather, has potential to actually scale to commercial volumes, captures carbon, etc. Biggest issue is it is still tanned like normal leather which isn't fantastic but otherwise it's really cool and super promising.

^^^ I use a rubber band or a zip tie and a little circle, I spent a lot of time trying to make an little apron and it was a huge pain in the rear end.

That company that invented the mushroom leather also invented an eco-safe packaging to replace Styrofoam iirc. I unbox a lot of computer equipment and the amount of Styrofoam I've sent to the dump breaks my heart :smith:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

remember when we were looking at arizona and losing our poo poo over 10% positivity rate, and now multiple states are 10, 15, 20, even 30% positive and no one in power gives a drat at all

lmao, crack ping

No matter any other cause that contributes, not seeing the actual NYC case spike that led to those deaths means people don't get it

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

on wisconsin!

32% positivity 7-day average, 38% today

:piss:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

mod sassinator posted:

how many states set up targets like "if positivity is >5% it triggers immediate rollback" and blew so far past those goalposts they forgot they existed

Our governor spoke today on this, did not do anything different in lockdowns or otherwise.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I feel like I'm crack pinging harder every week

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

shovelbum posted:

No matter any other cause that contributes, not seeing the actual NYC case spike that led to those deaths means people don't get it

yeah surely there's enough data now that epidemiologists can make a pretty drat good guess at what the suspected case growth looked like back in february and march before testing ramped up. it would be awesome to see a chart with actual tested cases and modeled positive cases going all the way back to the start

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mod sassinator posted:

yeah surely there's enough data now that epidemiologists can make a pretty drat good guess at what the suspected case growth looked like back in february and march before testing ramped up. it would be awesome to see a chart with actual tested cases and modeled positive cases going all the way back to the start

It is probably really hard to distinguish between the deaths from COVID-19 and the deaths from having to wfh.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

shovelbum posted:

People will step over bodies as they pass by the mass grave in the park on their way to work and they won't give a gently caress. Individualism is one hell of a drug.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

TraderStav posted:

Our governor spoke today on this, did not do anything different in lockdowns or otherwise.

just laughin at the govs nodding and smiling in may as their staff and experts set all these targets... while thinking to themselves "god drat hoax chinese virus, lookatit we're never gonna get back over 1%... just let these dorks keep playing with their numbers"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lmao Maryland peaked to summer levels in the span of 10 days and the governor just says “ok be careful out there”

I hope this utterly ruins his 2024 presidential run

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lacrosse posted:

People will step over bodies as they pass by the mass grave in the park on their way to work and they won't give a gently caress. Individualism is one hell of a drug.

At these levels the wfh crowd will start getting sick from floating covid clouds and poo poo

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

In retrospect, Jyllands-Posten running this back at the beginning and causing another international incident boomeranged pretty hard.

Raine posted:

it never ends, this poo poo

But haven't you heard? Avian flu is back.

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 00:38 on Nov 6, 2020

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Lacrosse posted:

hey now some people are forward thinking enough to drag the body into the gutter so they don't have to keep stepping over them

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like I'm crack pinging harder every week

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
we'll never hit 15% and have to close the schools down again

*3 months later*

how are 75% of my counties above 15%? I did literally nothing to stop this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

VectorSigma posted:

hey now some people are forward thinking enough to drag the body into the gutter so they don't have to keep stepping over them

"Cholera on the rise, as biological remains clogs sewers"