Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Replaced the Timing belt on my ~*~*~Free~*~*~ 1992 Subaru Legacy.

First time it had been replaced in 150,000+ miles! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
After several hours of washing & waxing, it looks soo good for the 30 seconds it'll be clean for...

alternate.eago fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 17, 2014

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Installed an SRT8 suspension kit in my charge rt the difference is astounding to say the least.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

mobby_6kl posted:

Have you considered that maybe you just can't afford the house? :mad:

At least he knows it is going to a good owner, and... knows how to get ahold of the guy. So he can buy it back again in 5 years when the other guy is bored of it again :v:

I put the manifolds back on, about to put the turbo, rockers, rocker pivot rails, and cooling system back on too.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I got my car tinted! 35% all around. First time I've had a car with tints that weren't blue and and full of bubbles!

I can't wait to drop it a little bit!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

smax posted:

Cleaned it, got an alignment, and (most importantly) installed my new wheels and tires.

That.. that is sexy. :allears:

smax
Nov 9, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

That.. that is sexy. :allears:

Yep, I absolutely love this car. They're TSW Nurburgrings with Continental ExtremeContact DW tires. The wheels are perfect for me -- subtle but shiny, and I dropped over 10lbs per wheel over the stock ones. I just got bored with the standard GTI wheels.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

smax posted:

Yep, I absolutely love this car.

I can see why. Those wheels are perfect for your car.

The only thing I would think about changing would be ride height, and only because a slight drop would fill out the wheel openings a little more. But you'd sacrifice ride quality for that; I'd rather have it ride a little higher and be a bit more comfortable.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

I can see why. Those wheels are perfect for your car.

The only thing I would think about changing would be ride height, and only because a slight drop would fill out the wheel openings a little more. But you'd sacrifice ride quality for that; I'd rather have it ride a little higher and be a bit more comfortable.

Yep, I've thought about it before. VW actually makes an aftermarket (is it aftermarket if it's VW?) set of springs that'll drop it very slightly -- like an inch or less. It's subtle but it makes a huge difference. That being said, the wife's already pissed about the wheels sooooo.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Spent Saturday moving poo poo between my workshop, shed and lockup, so that today I could put my saab 99T into the garage:

It has sat for the last 4 or 5 years (since I bought my house and ran out of money), but it has been about a year since I last started it. It wouldn't start today which I immediately traced to the fuel pump.
Seemingly in the last year the fuel has turned and the fuel pump had died and all its rubber parts have turned into black goop :(

Managed to find a noisy spare and fit it but it took an hour of messing about getting the injectors un-gummed and bled before it would run. Its been a while but I still hate bosch k-jet.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

This weekend I put new spark plugs and flushed the coolant in my v70, along with taking it Friday to get the cam seals changed as it was making GBS threads oil. I feel like I'm finally turning the corner with this car and can actually enjoy driving it. Next up is the suspension.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I intended to change front pads / rotors. So, to get things started...

I managed to get the other end out pretty easily.

And of course, it's a long weekend up here in :canada: so I can't get a new stud until tomorrow. Figured I'd leave that side as is and at least get the other side done. Moving on to the other side:

Yes, thats the screw used to pop the rotor off the hub. Sheared. I'm on a roll today. Thankfully I had enough room to get a sledge in there and get the rotor off. At which point I searched high and low for my c-clamps to compress the pistons, got frustrated, and decided I'll finish it tomorrow. Everything is already apart, so the easy bit is done. Right guys? Right? :shepicide:

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
My truck kept blowing the fuse every time it tried to turn on the AC clutch. Shorted coil, right? Except that it tested OK with an ohm-meter, but hey. Still probably something wrong with the coil, as it stopped blowing the fuse when I disconnected the coil altogether.

So with copious swearing and skinned knuckles I manage to pull the cover off the clutch and remove the pulley. Can I pry the coil off? Can I bollocks. Sigh.

Fortunately, that didn't matter, because the clowns at Advance Auto had given me the wrong part, and even though it was identical on the front, and the bearing was the same size, the replacement coil was the wrong size altogether. Arses.

Still EVEN THAT didn't matter, because I put the old clutch back on, fired up the truck, and the clutch magically started working again. Maybe me belting the sod with a hammer magically fixed whatever was wrong with it, I dunno. Either way, I have ice-cold AC for this summer's camping trips, and I can take my $100 clutch back for a refund. Not sure why I'm so pissed at it, but I am. I guess I just don't like mysteries.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

saint gerald posted:

My truck kept blowing the fuse every time it tried to turn on the AC clutch. Shorted coil, right? Except that it tested OK with an ohm-meter, but hey. Still probably something wrong with the coil, as it stopped blowing the fuse when I disconnected the coil altogether.

So with copious swearing and skinned knuckles I manage to pull the cover off the clutch and remove the pulley. Can I pry the coil off? Can I bollocks. Sigh.

Fortunately, that didn't matter, because the clowns at Advance Auto had given me the wrong part, and even though it was identical on the front, and the bearing was the same size, the replacement coil was the wrong size altogether. Arses.

Still EVEN THAT didn't matter, because I put the old clutch back on, fired up the truck, and the clutch magically started working again. Maybe me belting the sod with a hammer magically fixed whatever was wrong with it, I dunno. Either way, I have ice-cold AC for this summer's camping trips, and I can take my $100 clutch back for a refund. Not sure why I'm so pissed at it, but I am. I guess I just don't like mysteries.

You think you're pissed now? Just wait until it blows again 2 hours into a mountain drive.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Broken:

Replaced:

Actually light up now:

I don't trust the wiring, though. The connector looked ... melted, to be honest. I'm hoping it's just that the cover broke, something shorted out, whatever, but until I have a chance to find some new ones and splice them in, these will do.

I did think it a little funny that I decided to replace these because I noticed the cover broken, then when I went to look how the LED would look versus the incandescent, I noticed they didn't work at all. Not really sure how I've gotten away with that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Taking possession of the Civic tomorrow. Something is up with the wipers, dunno if it's the motor but they only work on one speed. I've now had a dozen people make offers on it. I might look into trading it for something fun. There's a shitload of NA Miatas around with "TRADE" in the ad lately.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

Taking possession of the Civic tomorrow. Something is up with the wipers, dunno if it's the motor but they only work on one speed. I've now had a dozen people make offers on it. I might look into trading it for something fun. There's a shitload of NA Miatas around with "TRADE" in the ad lately.

Yes do that

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

Yes do that

Made a few inquiries. Do 1996 body parts swap to 94s?

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
No. 92-95 is a different generation than 96-00. Also, body parts don't really swap from coupe/hatchback over to sedan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

driguy posted:

No. 92-95 is a different generation than 96-00. Also, body parts don't really swap from coupe/hatchback over to sedan.

Yeah I have learned. I have a coupe, so a hatch hood appears to be viable. Guess I'm still hitting up the pick n pull.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sedans are just different enough that you won't be able to use any body panels from them (might be able to use the trunk, but I'm not 100% on that).

Hatch parts are mostly identical to coupe parts forward of the B pillar, except for brakes and suspension. Interior, front clip panels, doors, etc should be the same.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Linux Nazi posted:

You think you're pissed now? Just wait until it blows again 2 hours into a mountain drive.

There is much in what you say. Next time I go camping I will take a 30 amp fuse, a 60 amp fuse, and if necessary a length of 0-gauge wire.

And a fire extinguisher.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Got crashed into with it. Sitting in a protected right, yielding to cross traffic and got walloped from behind. I think I'm hurt. Called the cops and emt. They're saying I'm gonna be sore and to ice my neck. Everyone's left now, waiting for a tow. Starting to feel stiff, feeling a little slow too, maybe adrenaline wearing off?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

trouser chili posted:

Got crashed into with it. Sitting in a protected right, yielding to cross traffic and got walloped from behind. I think I'm hurt. Called the cops and emt. They're saying I'm gonna be sore and to ice my neck. Everyone's left now, waiting for a tow. Starting to feel stiff, feeling a little slow too, maybe adrenaline wearing off?

Oh poo poo, you're gonna be that guy who live posted his own death on SA

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Powershift posted:

Oh poo poo, you're gonna be that guy who live posted his own death on SA

I don't think I'm dying, just dazed. Who livepoatedcrhejr own death?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

trouser chili posted:

I hate to say it dude but you're typing funny and that probably means a concussion or worse :(

Unless your phone's touchscreen is just being a piece of poo poo, which is what I'm hoping for.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

kastein posted:

I hate to say it dude but you're typing funny and that probably means a concussion or worse :(

Unless your phone's touchscreen is just being a piece of poo poo, which is what I'm hoping for.

It's an iPhone and I have fat fingers and polarized sunglasses. Makes the phone like :catdrugs:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

trouser chili posted:

It's starting!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

trouser chili posted:

Not the ITR I hope :ohdear:

(also I hope you will be ok)

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Panty Saluter posted:

Not the ITR I hope :ohdear:

(also I hope you will be ok)

People have the capacity to heal on their own, cars do not. Unfortunately it was the ITR. Fortunately, the car suffered only minor damage, no metal is bent, but the rear bumper will need a repaint. I was just sitting there with the clutch in and no brake, so I really got punted. Had I been on the brake and the car more want to stay put, I wouldn't be as hurt but the car would have suffered a lot more.

If it were the 250c I would have been devastated. It's just not possible to even tap that car and not destroy it's rare bumpers and bend the sheet metal behind them.

Oh yeah. I'm home now. Getting stiffer. Anyone know if I should bother with urgent care or something? I'm icing down now, not sure if they can do anything more for me.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If nothing else, they can A) start a medical record in case you have complications down the line, and B) X-ray and potentially find any mild internal damage.

I'd go if I were you.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Go. Everything Fucknag said. It sucks, but go.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I think you should go too. Like FuckNag said, even if you feel fine you might be thankful you have a record of visiting a doctor

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Definitely see the doctor.

I installed the Nautilus air horn on the miata. Don't know if it lives up to the billing of how loud it is, but it definitely is an upgrade over the stock horn.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Bovril Delight posted:

Definitely see the doctor.

I installed the Nautilus air horn on the miata. Don't know if it lives up to the billing of how loud it is, but it definitely is an upgrade over the stock horn.

Saw the docs at urgent care. They say diagnosis whiplash. Gave me scrip for muscle relaxer, and said my blood pressure is through the roof. Now I gotta see the regular doc tomorrow and figure out if I got a serious problem.

I'm a big fan of Stebel. Never ran their Nautilus but I've heard most really like them. I put a set of their Magnums on the 250c and they sound fantastic. Really fit the character of the car.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 21, 2014

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That sucks you got rear ended. Back in 2006 I was rear ended by an unlicensed migrant who was texting that drilled a completely stationary me (it was rush hour on a surface street) doing about 40 mph. I fortunately had my head completely against the head rest. When the police/ambulance arrived I didn't feel too bad all things considering and just felt like I banged my knee against the steering column. I did not go to the ER or anything. I felt awful the next couple of days. Now I can pop my neck nearly on command. It would have been nice to get a few chiro visits out of it, but it's too late for that :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I was in about the "best case scenario" accident with an 18 wheeler in a 95 Civic way back in .. 2005? Best case meaning it was at highway speeds and I walked away with only cuts/bruises/whiplash (and drove what was left of the car home).

Car was basically crushed (still drove, just.. sideways, LR wheel rubbing the quarter panel, and missing almost all of the glass, with the drivers door pushed into the seat, and every wheel pointing a different direction, and one fender wrapped around the power steering pump). I was in a world of hurt for a few weeks, but since the accident was my fault (and I only had liability.. and was unemployed), welp. My back and neck still throw me random bits of "WHAT THE HELL DID I BREAK" pain every few months.

Never did go to the doctor. :smith:

RR tire blew out, I tried to pull onto the shoulder, and the car fishtailed when the right wheels dropped into the dirt. Cue overcorrecting into the side of an 18 wheeler doing ~65 mph.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Now I can pop my neck nearly on command

This, along with most of my back and my left hip.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 21, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Did you lose a fingat, though?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I got to watch my brothers-in-law (brother-in-laws? brothers?) pull everything off of the front of a 99 Express Van to prep it for an engine removal. Pretty neat, and I'm interested to see the engine come out and new one go in as I've never seen it done in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Not my car, but my boss's car. He's had a bad misfire for the past couple weeks and I finally got the time to go over there and freshen up the ignition.

He drives a 98 Ford Ranger with the 2.5L I4. I did not realize it required 8 plugs when I agreed to do this, nor did I realize you have to pull the upper intake manifold to get at the intake-side plugs. It took me three loving hours to do 8 plugs and wires and replace the EGR DPC. The intake/tb are also plumbed for coolant; that was a fun time when I disconnected the lower hose going into the block and got splashed.

I could do all six plugs on the E30 AND a valve job in 30 minutes. I can do plugs/wires on the Miata in 10.