Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm reading Southern Reach trilogy and like it a lot so far...I'm a bit into book 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

angel opportunity posted:

I'm reading Southern Reach trilogy and like it a lot so far...I'm a bit into book 2.

AUTHORITY is a tough pill to swallow coming off ANNIHILATION, with all the Kafkaesque bureaucracy poo poo, but after I finished the third one I realized that AUTHORITY was actually really good. 'A fan of the first book tries to figure out what happened in it' is a pretty good plot for a second book. And all the stuff about the S&S Brigade and the other covert agencies pays off nicely in ACCEPTANCE.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah...I read the reviews and was a bit worried, but my job is a bureaucracy so I actually like it so far

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Same here, I actually liked Authority more than Annihilation (after it became painfully obvious that no, no answers are coming in that book). It makes you feel that you're circling around the facts and never quite getting there.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Many of the answers were just like 'so what', as far as I was concerned. Nothing super interesting. I really liked Annihilation a lot but didn't care much for the other two.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Junkenstein posted:

I went into Southern Reach with reviews stating don't expect answers!! echoing in my head, and I was pretty surprised by how much straight up exposition there was in the last book. I thought the way it brought everything together was well done. It even kinda made the second book retroactivelly better.....

...so I don't really agree with this at all. It felt to me that he knew where everything was going in the books one and two, and exactly how things would end and be tied up in the final volume.

Agree whole-heartedly. In fact, I'm trying to find other books similar to it; to the whole open-ended mystery that encourages you to piece things together yourself. David Mitchell does this to some extent, as well as Gene Wolfe and Jorge Louis Borges, but other than that, I'm still looking...

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

General Battuta posted:

AUTHORITY is a tough pill to swallow coming off ANNIHILATION, with all the Kafkaesque bureaucracy poo poo, but after I finished the third one I realized that AUTHORITY was actually really good. 'A fan of the first book tries to figure out what happened in it' is a pretty good plot for a second book. And all the stuff about the S&S Brigade and the other covert agencies pays off nicely in ACCEPTANCE.

I went in totally blind and thought Authority was quite good. Annihilation was just like a teaser (though a good one!), Authority starts to open up more details about Area X, Southern Reach, etc etc. Acceptance was great too, and I agree with people saying they were surprised with how much actually was explained. I really liked them all :)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Neurosis posted:

Many of the answers were just like 'so what', as far as I was concerned. Nothing super interesting. I really liked Annihilation a lot but didn't care much for the other two.

I thought the Lighthouse Keeper and the Director had great stories in Acceptance. If pushed I'd call those my favorite bits of the trilogy.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
So there's a new Humble books bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Anything in here any good? I remember hearing positive things about The Great Way Trilogy, but nothing else in the bundle looks familiar at all.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

There's nothing positive about the Great Way trilogy.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The Expanse has a new VR app for iPhone and Android that lets you explore the Canterbury's exterior. It's pretty cool to see the detail that went into it knowing it gets nuked the first episode probably.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The only thing that made me mad at Ready Player One was the lack of Battletech when they were getting Mechs, I wanted someone to smash something with an Atlas damnit. Actually no the entire book was okay, the weirdest bits were the clan/guilds whatever which reminded me way to much about EVE Online, down to the Doomsday getting dropped in the final battle.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Jack2142 posted:

The only thing that made me mad at Ready Player One was the lack of Battletech when they were getting Mechs, I wanted someone to smash something with an Atlas damnit. Actually no the entire book was okay, the weirdest bits were the clan/guilds whatever which reminded me way to much about EVE Online, down to the Doomsday getting dropped in the final battle.

holllly poo poo this post

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

holllly poo poo this post

Well, Cline certainly writes to his audience. Gotta give him that.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Drifter posted:

Well, Cline certainly writes to his audience. Gotta give him that.

From his AMA:

Ernest Cline posted:

I personally don't see any difference between culture and pop culture. Pop culture is the culture I grew up in - the only culture I've ever really known. And if something isn't considered a part of popular culture, then what is it? Unpopular culture? Why would you make an unpopular culture reference, unless you're trying to be obscure? I view pop culture references as just one of the many tools I have as a writer to tell my story and convey meaning to the reader. But I also do my best to make sure the story still works for readers who aren't familiar with any of the things I reference, just as I did with Ready Player One. In the end, you can't write to please critics - you have to write the kind of story you enjoy telling in the way you want to tell it, and trust that other people with a similar sensibility will enjoy reading it.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I mean I agree with him general, declaring one part of culture 'official' and denigrating another part as 'disposable' is fairly elitist wankery, and I say that as someone who likes esoteric feminist sci-fi (though not Sheri Tepper). At the same time, he was quoting some fairly obscure parts of 80s culture--the Black Tiger videogame was pretty obscure, for instance, even if I knew what it was from being a longterm nerd. Lots of D&D people know what the Tomb of Horrors is but there are much larger numbers of others who do not. He was totally quoting 'unpopular culture', but from a different niche.

There's also the problem that if you stripped all the 80s references out of the book, you'd be left with very little but a maladjusted nerd kid finding wealth, sex, and total validation through his love of video games. Being a shallow fantasy doesn't automatically make it bad, but it definitely is not more than that, and in thirty more years I doubt the book will be much remembered. It's hard to find Saturday the 14th on cable these days too.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

As a sellout writer, I don't blame the guy at all, and it's pretty awesome that he wrote what he loves and made a bunch of money off it. He would be stupid NOT to just re-hash that some type of thing over and over and milk every dime out of it.

But I'm still going to laugh at it!

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Just finished The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay. I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as Tigana by the same author, but still very enjoyable (a little slow at times maybe). Are his other books any good?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sjonkel posted:

Just finished The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay. I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as Tigana by the same author, but still very enjoyable (a little slow at times maybe). Are his other books any good?
I liked Tigana a lot, myself, as well.
I'd suggest river of Stars or Song for Arbonne and then the Sailing to Sarantium series.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

My irritation at all the 80s references in Ready Player One was completely overshadowed in the third act when he does that whole stupid thing where he gets himself enslaved to the evil corporation and then manages to hack them from inside and sneak back out. Somehow playing an MMO gave him super l337 haxx0r skillz and turned him into some combination of Hiro Protagonist and Solid Snake? That's some kind of "Al-Qaida is planning terrorist attacks in World of Warcraft" level of bullshit.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Drifter posted:

I liked Tigana a lot, myself, as well.
I'd suggest river of Stars or Song for Arbonne and then the Sailing to Sarantium series.

I'd suggest the same order too. I haven't read the Not Byzantium books but they are not supposed to be as good as his later stuff. Tigana's his best, Al-Rassan his second best and then River of Stars and Arbonne are good but not quite as good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Sarantium books are pretty meh. Nice and interesting world but it doesn't really do anything with it and the story ultimately goes nowhere. Ymmv but I felt it was really mediocre at best.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I like his Sarantium and China books the most. I probably like Al Rassan the least just cuz of his whole "hold information back from the reader, so something can later be presented like it's a shocking revelation" writing technique, which if it wasn't used the most times in that book, at least seemed like it was enough for me to start noticing and get annoyed by it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just finished Revelation Space. While there's a lot of good to excellent poo poo in there, Reynolds could've dropped about 200 pages worth of poo poo. Does he improve in his other work?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

Just finished Revelation Space. While there's a lot of good to excellent poo poo in there, Reynolds could've dropped about 200 pages worth of poo poo. Does he improve in his other work?

Read Redemption Ark or House of Suns. If you don't like those, you've read his best, so you can stop.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
So Aurora is awesome.

Just had to close my book last night to go to bed at the point where people were dying on Aurora. I then dreamt that Ship made everyone pass out to contain the spread.

I personally love KSR's descriptions of alien planets, I mean, that's the whole point, right? We're never going to get there so yes please describe it for me in insane detail. I feel the beauty.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

gohmak posted:

The Expanse has a new VR app for iPhone and Android that lets you explore the Canterbury's exterior. It's pretty cool to see the detail that went into it knowing it gets nuked the first episode probably.

Thanks, just got my cardboard today.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Just finished Aurora. gently caress me, what a fantastic book.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

What should I do if I want to read KSR but am afraid it'll be a waste of time?

I'm interested in following the full progression of terraforming, but not if the plot is tedious and poo poo.

Is one of his other books a better compromise than the Mars trilogy?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

What should I do if I want to read KSR but am afraid it'll be a waste of time?

I'm interested in following the full progression of terraforming, but not if the plot is tedious and poo poo.

Is one of his other books a better compromise than the Mars trilogy?

Well, you could try out 2312, which is a single novel, and self contained. But it's not all that much about terraforming. If you want to follow the full progression of terraforming, the Mars trilogy is what you're looking for. I wouldn't at all say the plot is tedious, but your mileage may vary, I guess. It's sure got the full progression of terraforming, though -- no doubt about that.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I read really mixed reviews on it, so much so that it seems like my only choice may just be to read it and see if it's for me

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

I read really mixed reviews on it, so much so that it seems like my only choice may just be to read it and see if it's for me

Yeah, I don't know -- I loved it, so I can't really pretend to be objective about it. There's definitely other stuff going on beyond terraforming -- the drama of the first settlers, intrigue and unrest in the early colony, political issues between Earth and Mars, some (in my mind) interesting explorations about memory and aging, the weirdness of successive generations of non-Earth folks, etc. But there is lots and lots of sweet, sweet terraforming, with all the intense detail and interesting ideas of KSR at the height of his powers. If you have a particularized interest in terraforming, I have to think you'll find enough worthwhile in there to justify your time.

And like you point out, I'm not sure there are other, better options. I'd like to hear about them, if there are.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Icehenge is pretty good and pretty short for a KSR novel. Plus it takes place on Pluto so it's a fun compliment to all the cool real-life space poo poo that's gone down recently.

Edit: it has nothing to do with terraforming though so if you're looking for that specifically look elsewhere in his catelogue.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
There are no better options. You are going to have to read the trilogy.

Besides, those mixed reviews are BS, anyone that is negative about it is objectively wrong.

Agree about Icehenge.

EDIT: Just remember to skip the first chapter, read up to Guns Under the Table, go and read the first chapter, then continue with Guns Under the Table.

thehomemaster fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 17, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Started Aurora tonight. First KSR novel. So far, it's excellent.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Read Redemption Ark or House of Suns. If you don't like those, you've read his best, so you can stop.

Did you read Neverness yet?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I am so loving amped for The Dark Forest next month.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Yeah. You can always just stop after Red Mars if you don't dig it. A lot of terraforming stuff still happens in part one.

Red Mars (and, increasingly, Green/Blue Mars) is potentially tedious in the same way that The Lord of the Rings is tedious. There are long sections that "digress" to things other than the main plot and What Happens Next. They're not thrillers. But all these sections, about politics, geography, science, psychology, ecology, and more, are relevant to the characters and the world that KSR is building. They're well written (KSR is something of a polymath, and is interested in basically everything). They are as much the core of the book as the traditional set pieces, so if you can get in to a similar mindset to LotR, where you just sort of totally immerse yourself in the world, it all works really well and is never boring.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Of KSR's work I've only read 2312. I liked it a lot.

Is Aurora a good book to go for next? More importantly: is it a standalone? I fully intend to one day read his Mars trilogy but I have so many series going at the moment, I'm really just looking for standalone SF books to slot in between series stuff I read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah Aurora is a completely stand alone novel.